Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I like how the top comment is essentially: "Its totally safe, your hair won't catch fire and the heat will act like a flat iron."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Same but also staplers. Out of every batch of new warehouse workers there's always one or two who do the old "shooting meself in the head with an empty stapler har har har" bit and are amazed when it really hurts.

More frequently done with pneumatic staplers, where people assume that the staples always come out the end air does not come in.

Anta posted:

Some kindergarteners found some neat-looking flat stones outside.

So, of course, the kindergarten makes a fun activity out of it, shaping and painting the stone plates, even making some gifts for the parents.

Google translated article, I couldn't find an English language one.

Well, at least they were breaking it instead of cutting it. But yeah, look forward to your future cancer cluster.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 25, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

IPCRESS posted:

Well, at least they were breaking it instead of cutting it. But yeah, look forward to your future cancer cluster.

Well, they sanded the plates to shape, then washed, polished and painted them. The plates were made of Eternit, btw.

According to the local health authority there was no asbestos found in or around the area where they worked so they seem to be thinking that the kids didn't get exposed, and the health service is saying the health risk to the kids is low. The parents are...disagreeing, especially the guy with his own asbestos-handling licenced construction company.

I know pretty much nothing about asbestos exposure but the health service here is generally competent.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Anta posted:

Some kindergarteners found some neat-looking flat stones outside.

So, of course, the kindergarten makes a fun activity out of it, shaping and painting the stone plates, even making some gifts for the parents.

Google translated article, I couldn't find an English language one.

That's loving terrible and sad.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They're probably fine, asbestos isn't like radioactive or something, it's harmful when you cut it up and inhale the super tiny fibers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

They're probably fine, asbestos isn't like radioactive or something, it's harmful when you cut it up and inhale the super tiny fibers.

And a single exposure isn't that big of a deal. The people who had problems inhaled it daily for a couple decades.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

ChairMaster posted:

Anta posted:

Well, they sanded the plates to shape,

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Asbestos is pretty nasty but at least they didn't find bread outside because gluten will kill you in a second.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deteriorata posted:

And a single exposure isn't that big of a deal. The people who had problems inhaled it daily for a couple decades.

Yeah it's this. Crazy sketchy, but the actual harm done is probably pretty low.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The etiology of mesothelioma isn't as clear-cut as that. It appears that you can get the disease from years of working with asbestos (e.g. a miner), or from years of just being in an environment where it's in the air (e.g. an auto garage up to the 1980s), or from a single large acute exposure (being caught in a collapsing building). The time to onset is usually multiple decades as well, so the causal agent often isn't even identifiable. And then there are some people with high exposure who never do develop the disease -- either because they just weren't going to get it, or because it took so long to develop that something else killed them before it became a problem. Pretty much the only thing that's certain is that if you work around asbestos and smoke cigarettes, you will die of lung cancer of one kind or another.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Unless the smoking-related heart disease does them in first.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what happened to the molten Sodium? I would imagine the clean up wasn't fun assuming the whole lot didn't erupt into flames.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
So the Canadian government decided to offer some compensation to some people this year after this happened (note: it is a sad story):

quote:

The accident happened when 137 teenagers were given dummy explosive devices during a supervised class at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier on July 30, 1974.

Among the supposedly safe devices, however, was a live grenade. One of the cadets asked for permission to pull the pin and an instructor assured him it was safe to do so.

Six boys aged 14 and 15 were killed and more than 60 others were injured.

It's worth noting the incident drove to changes in the way dummy ammunition is handled such as painting it gold with the big words DUMMY painted on it, as opposed to having it look exactly like the real thing. So I guess that's good.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cadets-grenade-accident-compensation-1.3746700

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CADPAT posted:

So the Canadian government decided to offer some compensation to some people this year after this happened (note: it is a sad story):

It's worth noting the incident drove to changes in the way dummy ammunition is handled such as painting it gold with the big words DUMMY painted on it, as opposed to having it look exactly like the real thing. So I guess that's good.

You're supposed to treat any dummy weapon as a real weapon in training situations. If for no other reason than what possible use is the training otherwise?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

CADPAT posted:

This brings me back to remembering a string of bombings in my home town back in the 90s.

Basically 2 guys got their hands on a bunch of grenades and plastic explosives and proceeded to chuck them out of their car around town. I remember one going off on my street and my Viet Nam vet dad jumping up saying"that sounded like incoming!" Our neighbors weren't hurt, and just got a bunch of shrapnel embedded in their aluminum siding.

Here's the OSHA part: a citizen found a rusty unexploded grenade on the street, picked it up, placed it on top of a fire hydrant, and called the police. When the officer arrived they found what was indeed a live unexploded grenade and decided that the proper method of EOD would be to drive it to the highschool soccer field for the bomb squad to take care of, and proceeded to drive down the street with his window down holding the grenade outside the vehicle in case it exploded.

Luckily it didn't explode on the ride over, and the bomb squad was able to detonate it in the field.

As an aside, my dad was the airbase librarian in Nam, and had more of an acedamic understanding of what incoming sounded like. My social studies teacher was a combat veteran, however, and already pretty twitchy. When the explosives went off outside he hit the floor shouting and ended up leaving for the day afterwards... This was 1993, and MAD UNKNOWN BOMBERS just ended up being a side note in the local nightly news.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

oohhboy posted:

So what happened to the molten Sodium? I would imagine the clean up wasn't fun assuming the whole lot didn't erupt into flames.
Heat transfer/storage salts are if I remember sodium nitrate so the acute danger is its hotter than hell. Once it's cooled off I assume you hammer off any big chunks to throw away as solid waste and wash away the residue if needed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

oohhboy posted:

They threw a whole lot of soda ash on the existing leaked sodium and cut back on the pressure to stop new leakage

It worked, apparently

zedprime posted:

Heat transfer/storage salts are if I remember sodium nitrate so the acute danger is its hotter than hell. Once it's cooled off I assume you hammer off any big chunks to throw away as solid waste and wash away the residue if needed.

It wasn't any sort of sodium salt or compound. Just pure sodium metal.

zedprime posted:

Making custom gaskets is totally a thing for simple polymer and metal gasketting without fancy torsion features and shouldn't result in mystery torques. You should have a template or die but if you have a fully featured fab shop there's no reason not to have the option to make gaskets out of sheet stock when the shipment of bulk gaskets gets held up because reasons.

Not to say that everything was on the up and up. Its a tradition to pay no attention to gaskets at all. Most leaks are flange leaks, and most flange leaks are due to idiots using the wrong material, shaving down gaskets with torsion features (which makes them less than useless), or just completely guessed torque.

Things that went wrong

a) no template
b) fab shop isn't "fully featured"
c) no experience modding gaskets
d) guesstimating torque
e) basically everything, really

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

You're supposed to treat any dummy weapon as a real weapon in training situations. If for no other reason than what possible use is the training otherwise?
Yeah holy loving poo poo. This is like someone telling 14YO's that pointing the training firearm at people is A-OK

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Adding to the asbestos chat. I met a guy who was left for dead at the top of Everest but survived only to die a few years later from mesothelioma. When it was diagnosed he reckoned he hadn't had all that much contact with it in the first place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Hall_(climber)
This is the guy and I just found out he grew up in Canberra a place where they've had to knock down houses because they had loose fill asbestos insulation.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Helios Grime posted:

Also the clearances we use to make poo poo safe are loving genereous and it still blows my mind that videos like this can happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNEYwYqJ7Fc

So how are any of the people in this video still alive? I've always heard that if you get too close to the overhead lines you're dead, where "too close" is something like 50-70cm (2 feet), not literally grasping it with both hands. For the same reason you're not allowed to fly metallic helium balloons near the tracks.

I once read an article about some drunk girl who climbed on top of a (standing) train car. Most of her skin burned off and she was in a coma for two weeks. The guy who was climbing around on trains with her took off and left her to be discovered by the railway people.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Time to bring the pain train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ewXJhEBj8g

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CADPAT posted:

Jeesus loving christ. Even our "partially constructed from the leftover parts from the cold war" FDF managed to actually make training dummies which were either "bright yellow bricks with the same size, weight and shape of the granade" some of which had functioning pin-handle system, and "bright orange" with live fuse but harmless powder casing which marked the killzone and might have just enough power to blast your fingers off.

Who is insane enough to make training dummies, which look even remotely enough like live weapons, so that even professional training personnel can mix them up?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I love that the arms come down after the truck is hit and has been sitting there for a bit.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The stopping arm didn't work

I like how there were cops right on it

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The stopping arm didn't work

I like how there were cops right on it

Think the footage actually came from the officers car.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Whelp, the train was going backwards. Obviously the crossing gate already thought it had gone by.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

IPCRESS posted:

More frequently done with pneumatic staplers, where people assume that the staples always come out the end air does not come in.

can incidents be retroactive?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.instagram.com/osha_is_this_ok/

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Trump says he wants to cut federal regulation by 75 per cent. Nice knowing you, OSHA.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Volcott posted:

Trump says he wants to cut federal regulation by 75 per cent. Nice knowing you, OSHA.

We've got an impending ruling on 11/10/2017 that says that employers need their crane operators to be proven qualified before they can operate anything. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot fewer inspectors showing up on job sites in 2018...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

oohhboy posted:

Just spray it down with liquid chlorine, it's perfectly safe.

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's really not true as a blanket statement. It definitely doesn't extend so far as making dummy munitions visually indistinguishable from the real thing, because being able to tell them apart by looking at them is a pretty important safety tool. Training munitions in the US are frequently painted blue. If you're going to strap a dummy bomb to an airplane for a training drop, it's a pretty good thing to help you see at a glance that the bomb you're loading on the wing is, in fact, a dummy munition and not an actual bomb.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 25, 2017

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah, this sounds like a convoluted TV murder plot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We had a meeting on wastewater treatment today

Employee: What if the tank is full and we can't transfer to the next tank because P-XXYY is down like it usually is?

VP: Just empty it into totes

*after meeting*

Emoloyees: He does know we just got cited for having too many totes out back already, like last week?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Just spray it down with liquid chlorine, it's perfectly safe.

That's really not true as a blanket statement. It definitely doesn't extend so far as making dummy munitions visually indistinguishable from the real thing, because being able to tell them apart by looking at them is a pretty important safety tool. Training munitions in the US are frequently painted blue. If you're going to strap a dummy bomb to an airplane for a training drop, it's a pretty good thing to help you see at a glance that the bomb you're loading on the wing is, in fact, a dummy munition and not an actual bomb.

Of course you don't want dummy explosives to look like real explosives but when you're training people you train them to handle them like real explosives. Because... handling real explosives is what you're training them to do.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

pidan posted:

So how are any of the people in this video still alive? I've always heard that if you get too close to the overhead lines you're dead, where "too close" is something like 50-70cm (2 feet), not literally grasping it with both hands. For the same reason you're not allowed to fly metallic helium balloons near the tracks.

I once read an article about some drunk girl who climbed on top of a (standing) train car. Most of her skin burned off and she was in a coma for two weeks. The guy who was climbing around on trains with her took off and left her to be discovered by the railway people.

Different electric train systems have different voltage levels.

The minimum distance of 50-70 cm sounds about right for 25 000 volts systems, which is what is used in all new electric rail lines in Russia.

But according to Wikipedia, Russia has some old lines using only 3000 volts DC, which just might allow that kind of playing around, at least when the air is dry and the gloves are of the right type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_systems_for_electric_rail_traction

Apparently, tram systems tend to have much lower voltages: 750 volts DC seems to be almost standard for new trams, and some old systems are using just 600 volts DC.

I also notice that there is a cut between the chin-ups and the other stunts: it is possible that the chin-ups were done when the power to the overhead wire was switched off for some reason.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

telcoM posted:

Different electric train systems have different voltage levels.

The minimum distance of 50-70 cm sounds about right for 25 000 volts systems, which is what is used in all new electric rail lines in Russia.

But according to Wikipedia, Russia has some old lines using only 3000 volts DC, which just might allow that kind of playing around, at least when the air is dry and the gloves are of the right type.

Dielectric breakdown strength of air is about 3kV/millimeter. Even with a 25,000 volt system no way is that arcing 50-70 cm.

Water vapor actually has a higher breakdown strength than air does (pure water is a lousy conductor, and H2O recombines very rapidly after disassociation which means that there are going to be fewer free ions to support an avalanche), so increasing humidity makes that 3kV/mm figure increase, not decrease.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Dielectric breakdown strength of air is about 3kV/millimeter. Even with a 25,000 volt system no way is that arcing 50-70 cm.

I don't know anything about this but I imagine if it won't arc so far that's a good reason to keep that distance.

Our trains here have 15-25 kV, and the recommended minimum distance is 3m (10ft) for people without electrical training and 1.5m (5ft) for people who know what they're doing. Or at least that's what Wikipedia says.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
More OSHA Florida Fun: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/kendall-van-fire-leads-to-questions-about-illegal-gas-distribution/?e=v-G8g87qPgOnTw

Summary: Firefighters arrive to van on fire, you almost witness two being engulfed as the van happens to be full of gasoline. Why would a van be full of gasoline? you ask?

Seems like someone was stealing it and illegally (obviously) driving it around in (what looks like) 1 or 2 - 330 Gallon IBC's.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I love that the arms come down after the truck is hit and has been sitting there for a bit.

Disappointing, I would have given it 9/10 if they'd come down on the truck or 10/10 if they'd hit someone in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fuckingtest posted:

Why would a van be full of gasoline? you ask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnLlIvwyAY4