Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

ausgezeichnet posted:

God bless.

(You fly for one of the Republic entities, correct?)

nah, compass.
As for appendectomy... I had one right in initial. Not a big deal at all. AME didn't care, PRNC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

KodiakRS posted:

Turns out that taking check rides at 2:00 am really sucks. Who knew? Oh well, at least the only thing that got busted was my circadian rhythm.

The FAA medical system is pretty hosed. No one wants to get sued because they let a medically unfit pilot go flying so they tend to be overly trigger happy with medical issues. Therefore pilots tend not to disclose issues so they can keep their jobs. They don't want to be unemployed for 6 months after a bicycle accident because they bumped their head and someone thinks there's a remote possibility they got a concussion.

You get a late start and you complain???

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrYenko posted:

I wish this could be the thread title.

Aviation Megathread | "The NFL aren't the only ones covering up concussions"

hjp766 posted:

You get a late start and you complain???

Usually I end up with a 4:30am show. Which sounds bad but by the time you brief and get going means you're actually awake and alert. The late one means you're already tired by the time you start. getting a second segment engine failures on a go around at 1:30 in the morning when your brain has roughly the same processing power as a ti-83 is kind of rough.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

The FAA medical system is pretty hosed. No one wants to get sued because they let a medically unfit pilot go flying so they tend to be overly trigger happy with medical issues. Therefore pilots tend not to disclose issues so they can keep their jobs. They don't want to be unemployed for 6 months after a bicycle accident because they bumped their head and someone thinks there's a remote possibility they got a concussion.

He's not kidding. I got dinged for sleep apnea because, as my AME told me, "the captain in 3407 may or may not have actually had sleep apnea, but because he was a fat guy and tired, they assumed he did, so we're going to have some work to do on your next renewal". Fortunately, the surgeon who took the tonsils out, which cleared up the sleep apnea, WAS the AME.

They had no way of proving he had sleep apnea, but "herpaderp, fatass+fatigue=HE MUST HAVE HAD IT". :downsbravo:

I still think Sully is a shill in many ways, but I fully agree with him in terms of mental health issues needing to be supported in a non-punitive way vs. admission equaling grounding.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Aviation Megathread | After years of arguing to do the "right thing" on medical reporting after years of browbeating in flight school from 21 year old instructors, SA forum pilots are getting older/wiser and having medical issue and agree to gently caress the Feds because of their bro-authoritarian ways that are counter productive to the general well-being of the pilot workforce.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Captain Apollo posted:

Aviation Megathread | After years of arguing to do the "right thing" on medical reporting after years of browbeating in flight school from 21 year old instructors, SA forum pilots are getting older/wiser and having medical issue and agree to gently caress the Feds because of their bro-authoritarian ways that are counter productive to the general well-being of the pilot workforce.

As far as I can see, no one here has changed their position unless your CFI training has had you abandon your anti-authority "Just lie on the medical" position. Everyone (but you) has always said the system was seriously flawed and to not report anything you aren't required to, but don't lie on things you do have to report and use your judgement about your readiness to act as PIC on issues that pop up between reporting requirements.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I am extremely unhappy that the status quo is that loving retarded, the various explanations as to why this is are not helping. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's just so... disappointing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If it's any consolation, the system in Canada seems a lot less hosed. I disclosed surgery, and the doc didn't give a single solitary gently caress.

I'm guessing it's down to differences in liability issues.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I had a herniated disc surgery in October (c6/c7 cervical fusion.) I self grounded for a few months, then got a letter from my surgeon saying I was fit to do whatever the gently caress I wanted.

AME didn't give a poo poo. Gave me my first class, sent the letter to the FAA, never heard from them.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

They don't want to be unemployed for 6 months after a bicycle accident because they bumped their head and someone thinks there's a remote possibility they got a concussion.

This very nearly was me last month, I had to decline captain upgrade for this month because I didn't think I was going to get my medical in time. Wear your helmet, kids.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Butt Reactor posted:

This very nearly was me last month, I had to decline captain upgrade for this month because I didn't think I was going to get my medical in time. Wear your helmet, kids.

I high-sided off a Carveboard about 15 years ago wearing a helmet and knocked myself out for about 30 seconds. It took a couple of weeks to get cleared by my AME and if it happens again (any loss of consciousness) it's "Helloooo neuro testing!" and probably six months free of flying.

I fell off my bike a few years ago though I just broke three ribs (missed my head). The Feds didn't hear about that one.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

Wear your helmet, kids.

On a related note: Wear your seat belts in the hotel van kids. Apparently we had a crew member get pretty banged up the other day when a van had to slam on its brakes and they got launched face first into a luggage rack.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I just got a PP-ASES addon rating and it was a loving blast.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Check ride writeup?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

My examiner had me demonstrate basically everything I learned in the course. He had me do normal takeoff/landing, glassy water takeoff/landing, crosswind takeoff/landing, confined area takeoff (so much fun -- you take off while turning on the water and then continue to fly up in a climbing circle), and choppy water takeoff/landing. I had to demonstrate various on-water maneuvers (idle taxi, plough taxi, step taxi) plus sailing and docking. He pulled my power and made me land simulated engine out, which is embarrassingly easy when you are surrounded by suitable lakes in a float plane.

He was pretty harsh with me about some of my answers in the oral exam and then with some of my flying. I did fly worse with him than with the CFI, which is frustrating, but I did fine I think. I did a go-around after spacing on setting up the proper approach for a simulated glassy water landing. That would have been a bust if I had continued it as a normal landing, which is what I was doing.

I had never flown in a Cub before, nor back seat in tandem config. It was fine but I could not see the airspeed indicator or compass. The worst part of that for me was not being able to see the compass while trying to fly a square pattern for a crosswind landing. I got confused easily (very tempting to line up with the waves for a zero crosswind landing) and had to really focus on distant visual references to hit 90 degrees each turn.

52 landings and a rating in 6 hours, and it was mostly really fun flying. I highly recommend it to anyone with any interest. Time it so it counts as a BFR too!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Random legality question time! :eng101:

Scenario:
You're flying the ILS PRM 10R into ord. An ILS PRM approach with a 2.5 degree localizer offset. Your approach clearance is "Fly heading 070, maintain 5000 until established, cleared for the ILS PRM 10R, use caution for an airbus north of you for the paralell" at 2,000 you break out and get both the runway and the traffic in sight.

Question:
When can you LEGALLY deviate from the offset localizer and align yourself with the runway?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Good question. I am gonna say the moment you break out and manage to acquire visual contact with the other PRM traffic so that you can comply with the instruction to keep caution. My second answer would be DH.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Doesn't help because I don't know what to do legally, but the couple of times I've had to do it we stayed on the localizer for a while after breaking out, maybe DH I can't remember specifically though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

Random legality question time! :eng101:

Scenario:
You're flying the ILS PRM 10R into ord. An ILS PRM approach with a 2.5 degree localizer offset. Your approach clearance is "Fly heading 070, maintain 5000 until established, cleared for the ILS PRM 10R, use caution for an airbus north of you for the paralell" at 2,000 you break out and get both the runway and the traffic in sight.

Question:
When can you LEGALLY deviate from the offset localizer and align yourself with the runway?

If you've both got visual contact and can maintain visual separation I'd assume you should be good to go.

e: guess not

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 24, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The ATC manual says:

quote:

NOTE−
After accepting a clearance for an offset PRM approach, pilots must remain on the offset approach course until passing the offset approach MAP prior to alignment with the runway centerline. Between the offset approach MAP and the runway threshold, the pilot of the offset approach aircraft assumes visual separation responsibility from the aircraft on the straight-in approach, which means maneuvering the aircraft as necessary to avoid the straight in approach traffic until landing, and providing wake turbulence avoidance, if necessary

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

DH/DA/MDA it is then. Make's sense, as that is set to be high and far enough to maneuver into the centerline

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Here's a couple of videos from the FAA about PRM approaches:

Air Carrier Video

General Aviation Video

AIM 5-4-16 goes into it as well.

The air carrier video talks about the offset approaches beginning here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20z1mpSg2zE&t=847s

Here's the Attention All Users Page referencing Chicago O'Hare specifically:

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1701/pdf/00166PRMAAUP.PDF

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 24, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Double posting because the more I read about PRMs and SOIAs, the less I understand about Chicago's setup.

10R and 10C aren't 3,400ft apart, so the offset approach course is required on 10R. However, the minima for that approach is still 250ft AGL, which is pretty low and doesn't seem to afford any reasonable amount of visual maneuvering space, or opportunity to get 10C traffic in sight. So for whatever reason, it seems Chicago can run these approaches independently, meaning 10C and 10R traffic can operate abeam eachother, or one could overtake the other, without issue. That isn't really what's described in the video I linked above for SOIAs, which seems to say that 10R traffic would need to be placed slightly behind 10C traffic to allow for visual acquisition.

The charting notation on these approach plates is inconsistent too. Sometimes the offset angle is listed in the blank margins of the planview, sometimes it's located within the navaid ID box for the localizer. None of them contain the distance between the runways, which the video said would be included.

Regardless, pilots are expected to remain on a cleared instrument approach procedure until the missed approach point, even if visual contact is made with the ground/runway, so the guidance to continue the approach to the MAP is still valid. I'm asking my buddy who works Chicago approach about what exactly is going on there, since I'm curious. At DFW all of our runways are far enough apart that we do simultaneous parallel operations, no need for offsets.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 24, 2017

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

I'm asking my buddy who works Chicago approach about what exactly is going on there, since I'm curious.

While you're at it could you tell him that even landing on 9L is preferable to having to do the DERRP.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

While you're at it could you tell him that even landing on 9L is preferable to having to :psyduck:

Good god that's terrible. The last time I flew into Chicago 10R wasn't operational yet so the alphabet soup taxi that is getting from 9L to ramp was the worst I've had to deal with.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
After a year of being ORD based I can count the times I've landed on 10R on one hand.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

While you're at it could you tell him that even landing on 9L is preferable to having to do the DERRP.

JFC that's retarded. When I was based there the only requirement was that you NEVER STOP taxiing unless specifically told to hold short of a runway. ORD did get me used to writing down all taxi instructions, which I still do even if it's a 50ft taxi to the runway.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've watched our (DFW's) towers issue incredibly long taxi instructions with restrictions and the flight crews read it back with astounding accuracy.

I issue a heading and an altitude and I get "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" while they sail through the localizer into parallel traffic.

Seriously, though, kudos to you guys for being on the ball when taxiing. Stuff goes bad quickly on the ground when you're dealing with multiple runway crossings and intersecting/opposite direction ground traffic.

I witnessed an interesting thing a while back while working as a Final Monitor during triple ILS operations. We have to monitor the tower frequency for our runway so we can override if one of our planes deviates off the ILS. The tower controller was having a hard time getting aircraft to cross the runway while landing traffic was holding short of a point prior to the intersection (LAHSO in effect). DFW has Runway Status Lights which automatically show bright red "stop bars" when a runway is occupied or about to be occupied, advising other aircraft not to enter the runway. The pilots are supposed to obey the status lights over an ATC instruction. But, when LAHSO is in effect, I'm not sure this logic works properly. The tower was having aircraft backed up waiting to cross this landing runway because nobody would taxi on to it with red stop lights flashing at them.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 25, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I've heard ground controllers in LGA have a legit nervous breakdown on a bad day

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

I've heard ground controllers in LGA have a legit nervous breakdown on a bad day

We have a controller that has a partial breakdown every time she plugs in.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Just saw a CRJ-100 over SW Ohio indicating FL470 on FlightRadar24.

I get FR24 is erratic at times, but :lol:.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Maybe the ADS-B was accidentally turned on after the wings were cut off and it was loaded into a bigger, better plane?

I doubt I'll ever experience flying one of those turds but even being in the back of one is just a downright crappy experience.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just saw a CRJ-100 over SW Ohio indicating FL470 on FlightRadar24.

I get FR24 is erratic at times, but :lol:.

Pinnacle, is that you?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? That reminds me of the first time I left JFK as a passenger on a CRJ and having to take nearly one complete lap around the airport to get to the runway. We came off T2 and wound up departing (I think) on the runway on that end of the airport.

Like, they can't take you across EE, then either LL, A17 or B, A18/19/20 to the ramp on American's side of the turf? Is it something like ATL where some of those taxiways seem to be meant for inbound as opposed to outbound planes?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Somebody hosed up here...

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:dogbutton:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

We have a controller that has a partial breakdown every time she plugs in.

I think she was working us leaving PBI around PERMT Sunday afternoon. She appeared to not be having a good shift.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? That reminds me of the first time I left JFK as a passenger on a CRJ and having to take nearly one complete lap around the airport to get to the runway. We came off T2 and wound up departing (I think) on the runway on that end of the airport.

Like, they can't take you across EE, then either LL, A17 or B, A18/19/20 to the ramp on American's side of the turf? Is it something like ATL where some of those taxiways seem to be meant for inbound as opposed to outbound planes?

They do it because 10L/DD is pretty much the main East runway for taking off and they don't want to cross people in front of planes on the runway. Too many incursions

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Meanwhile seatac has 3 runways and you get hold instructions on a clear day because they just can't even. Tonight ovc 4300 all 3 runways running visuals to 16L/R, departing 16C, 8 min metering delay. da fuq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
SEA will get worse this summer, since the construction on the north satellite will result in some taxiway closures.

Supposedly, Alaska is shifting their schedules around to try and alleviate some of the issues there (by spacing arrivals out to reduce the huge AM and PM rushes), and they're trying to get Delta to do something similar.

• Locked thread