Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yep, and if I can do it, anyone can. Live within your means.

"quit your job and find one on this very small subset of areas serviced by public transit. its called living within your means"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Gas.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i love when white people start discussing "safe" neighborhood because it's code for "no blacks here!"

Guess what the demographics at the low-rated schools in his image look like?

Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

"quit your job and find one on this very small subset of areas serviced by public transit. its called living within your means"

Literally what I did, I used to live in Mt. Lebanon and work out by the airport.

People commuting 40 miles to work in most of America aren't doing it because they're working in SF / NYC.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

guess i should tell my wife to quit her job too

"sorry you're only allowed to work at places within walking distance of these T stops"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BiohazrD posted:

driving is not a right

- a white person who has never had to get anywhere by bus and has money for flights

I take the bus all the time, I am usu not the one driving it

Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

"sorry you're only allowed to work at places within walking distance of these T stops"

My wife has worked downtown since she left college in 2000. If you make decisions that make life harder on yourself and suddenly can't afford the decisions you made, I have no sympathy for you.

Apr 7, 2003

"I chose to work 20 miles from where I live and also five miles from grocery stores, or anything else I need, and these gas prices are just super unjust," quoth the dumbass.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

"I live in the middle of nowhere and take 13 car trips a day, and it's so expensive. Why isn't the government subsidizing my wasteful lifestyle more?!" - middle america

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

should we expand public transit, so more people can use it to get to where they need to

NO SORRY THEY MUST SELL THEIR HOUSE AND MOVE AND QUIT THEIR JOBS AND FIND NEW JOBS IN THIS EXACT AREA

Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

should we expand public transit, so more people can use it to get to where they need to

NO SORRY THEY MUST SELL THEIR HOUSE AND MOVE AND QUIT THEIR JOBS AND FIND NEW JOBS IN THIS EXACT AREA

We absolutely should expand public transit so that more people can use it to get to where they need to, but (say) Cranberry Township is never going to have a population to support public transit of any kind, and when someone from Cranberry Township complains about spending 20 hours a week in the car and asks for more highways they can get hosed and deal with the results of their lifestyle.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

We absolutely should expand public transit so that more people can use it to get to where they need to, but (say) Cranberry Township is never going to have a population to support public transit of any kind, and when someone from Cranberry Township complains about spending 20 hours a week in the car and asks for more highways they can get hosed and deal with the results of their lifestyle.

thats an appropriate reaction if, say, 90% of the area is covered and that person chose the one neighborhood that doesnt have it. in the real world the vast majority of people literally do not have options and have no choice but to commute

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah but they usually have the absolute bare minimum which covers jack poo poo. Florida only requires $10k property damage. And it is no fault on injury so if some snowbird plows into you with their land barge you can't sue them over your massive medical bills.

imo $100k should be considered minimum for liability, $500k preferred.

florida is "no fault" for personal injury but that's only up to the 10k pip limit. you can absolutely sue for medical bills above that and win.

Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

thats an appropriate reaction if, say, 90% of the area is covered and that person chose the one neighborhood that doesnt have it. in the real world the vast majority of people literally do not have options and have no choice but to commute

They absolutely have a choice to commute. They do it so they can build a larger house, or not live near black people, or whatever. When they can't afford their lifestyle anymore because the cost of driving 40 miles every day to avoid people who are a different color has ballooned, I will laugh at them because they did it to themselves.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

They absolutely have a choice to commute. They do it so they can build a larger house, or not live near black people, or whatever. When they can't afford their lifestyle anymore because the cost of driving 40 miles every day to avoid people who are a different color has ballooned, I will laugh at them because they did it to themselves.

this is like, the opposite of the argument we are having. i dont give a gently caress about some middle class, gentrifying, white fuckboi. we are talking about poor, often minority, people who live paycheck to paycheck.

they dont have the luxury of picking where they live, they pick the place that is okay with no credit history and a cheap deposit, and work wherever they can get hired because that is their only option. they should absolutely have a right of transportation, and subsidized liability insurance if need be

Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

this is like, the opposite of the argument we are having. i dont give a gently caress about some middle class, gentrifying, white fuckboi. we are talking about poor, often minority, people who live paycheck to paycheck. these people should have a right to transportation

Well, why didn't you say so?

Transportation doesn't necessarily mean driving. Absolutely expand transportation options, but driving laws should still be strictly enforced.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

this is like, the opposite of the argument we are having. i dont give a gently caress about some middle class, gentrifying, white fuckboi. we are talking about poor, often minority, people who live paycheck to paycheck. these people should have a right to transportation
hey did u know there is a brand new forum where u can take this poo poo instead of posting it where we make computre joeks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Apr 7, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hey did u know there is a brand new forum where u can take this poo poo instead of posting it where we make computre joeks

Hey, did you know you can suck my balls?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BiohazrD posted:

ugh you don't understand, this poo poo is easy for healthy young single men in white collar jobs so it should be easy for everyone.

also, america is too reliant on cars so the best policy solution is to punish ppl who are reliant on cars and call them stupid and racist if they complain. certainly, everything in recent US political history has shown that these tactics could never fail catastrophically and bring ruin to us all

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
altho to be honest im not even sure what specific proposal we're arguing anymore since i agree dangerous drivers shouldn't be driving :shrug:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

altho to be honest im not even sure what specific proposal we're arguing anymore since i agree dangerous drivers shouldn't be driving :shrug:

1) transportation is a right
2) given the state of public transportation in the US, cars are often the only means of transportation available to people
3) travel by car should therefore be a right, as such subsidies for liability insurance should be a thing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N94vJZF5PhE&hd=1&t=4s

Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

2) given the state of public transportation in the US, cars are often the only means of transportation available to people
3) travel by car should therefore be a right, as such subsidies for liability insurance should be a thing

Travel by car is massively destructive and massively subsidized by the federal government, and should be discouraged by any means necessary.

You all act as though poor / working people didn't exist before cars. We've only spent 60 years out of all of human history catering to car-based society.

Build human-scale neighborhoods and encourage people to move to them and stop being car-dependent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

this is amazing.

Apr 7, 2003

RIP awesome baseball guy :(

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BiohazrD posted:

if you're just saying how things "should" be, why not just use the hypothetical funding for liability insurance subsidies and buy some drat buses and trains?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

still doesn't make driving a right.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Build human-scale neighborhoods and encourage people to move to them and stop being car-dependent.

I may dislike the way you are discussing this topic, and disagree with some parts, but I agree with this. Especially with technology the way it is, we could cut down on car travel if more companies would allow for work from home. My fiancé works in a call center, and I work for a small business. I'm working from home this entire week (sick with a cold) and it only effects one aspect of my job. Her job is entirely phone and computer based, and there's really no reason to keep her in the office other than they want to watch people do work.

That said, she's also taking the bus home tonight, and I drive into work.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
appel is bad RIP

but the stebephones are still good yay

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

ya :smith: i was real bummed when i found out it was this guy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

this is dumb as heck

-someone that votes against fractional percentage sales tax increases to fund public transportation

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

IUG posted:

I may dislike the way you are discussing this topic, and disagree with some parts, but I agree with this. Especially with technology the way it is, we could cut down on car travel if more companies would allow for work from home. My fiancé works in a call center, and I work for a small business. I'm working from home this entire week (sick with a cold) and it only effects one aspect of my job. Her job is entirely phone and computer based, and there's really no reason to keep her in the office other than they want to watch people do work.

That said, she's also taking the bus home tonight, and I drive into work.

lol if u think some pasty fatass barely-a-manager is going to relinquish his ability to order people around face-to-face

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh I know they won't. It's stupid. Her job literally has people walking up and down the cubes of the lowest level employees like a prison warden. (Thankfully that's not her job.)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
nah i don't think we should be doing more to make driving easier, i think we should discourage it, or specifically discourage fossil fuel consumption. i just think that pushing through policies with the idea of "gently caress the regular people who will be negatively impacted" is bad. both because most of the people getting hurt are just doing what they can to get by, and bc angry blowback leads to policy reversal anyway.

that said, steady incrementalism is not looking too effective these days either so idk, poo poo is hosed

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

can we make a new apple thread please?

Apr 7, 2003

go play outside Skyler posted:

can we make a new apple thread please?

Can you suck my balls please?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
seriously, would you do it so he stops asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Citizen Tayne posted:

why couldn't it have been tulo? :(

• Locked thread