Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do you think the Japanese-inspired setting hurt it too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

got any sevens posted:

The climax of Dr Strange was a breath of fresh air compared with the usual punch-bad-man-harder type of victory.

My big problem with the Dr. Strange ending was, why didn't the villain just set Dr. Strange aside in some prison and say, "All right, I won't kill you, you'll just sit here for the next ten billion years while I get back to work"?

I mean, I try not to nitpick stuff like this, especially with a comic movie, but that immediately came to mind while watching that scene in the theater, and I don't think I missed (but maybe I did, granted) any reason the movie established why that wouldn't work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wanted to see Kubo but the girlfriend and I just couldn't sync schedules to make it to the movie

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Chairman Capone posted:

My big problem with the Dr. Strange ending was, why didn't the villain just set Dr. Strange aside in some prison and say, "All right, I won't kill you, you'll just sit here for the next ten billion years while I get back to work"?

I mean, I try not to nitpick stuff like this, especially with a comic movie, but that immediately came to mind while watching that scene in the theater, and I don't think I missed (but maybe I did, granted) any reason the movie established why that wouldn't work.

Well, if you mean before the time loop, I just assume that Strange wasn't even a blip on the guy's radar, like The Ancient One. If you mean after, well magic allows you to make up a lot of bullshit, so I imagine Strange's thing allowed him to do the mystical cosmic version of 'I totally trap you and you can't get out of it, no take backs-ies'.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chairman Capone posted:

Because the concept of time freaked him the gently caress out. It was a Lovecraftian horror being confronted by something he can't comprehend and not being able to handle it.

Or that's how I understood it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The film explicity states Dormamu exists in a place without time so Strange literally inteoduces him to the concept of time and thus traps him in an endless temporal loop until Dormamu meets his demands.

I hate time travel in story plots but ill give the film big points for making the villain defeated in negotiations not combat and giving a cosmic horror an understandable weakness that didnt just seem silly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want a Lovecraftian being whose weakness is the existence of black people.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The MSJ posted:

So you want an HP Lovecraft biopic?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

If I remember right, one of Lovecraft's deities is actually described as being a black guy. I think Nyarlathotep.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just make a Planetary movie and keep Lovecraft's bit:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Planetary omnibus was a seriously pro purchase, will never regret it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Do you think the Japanese-inspired setting hurt it too?

I figured this was a lot of it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Chairman Capone posted:

If I remember right, one of Lovecraft's deities is actually described as being a black guy. I think Nyarlathotep.

Shub-Niggurath

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Killer Croc had fantastic design?? He took off his jacket and looked like a featherweight boxer with monster makeup

His design is excellent. He's not actually a crocodile man, that's not even his comic book backstory. He's just a guy with a hosed up deformity, so he doesn't look like the Hulk but an habitual swimmer, which he is. But his affected, performative blackness is reflected in his dressing like a boxer or pro wrestler so he can unveil himself dramatically. It's all a put on, which is a great reinterpretation of the character.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That's the black goat.

One of Nyarlathotep's forms, which I believe he took in The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, is a black priest. Being Lovecraft, I guarantee this is better documented on the internet somewhere in a more reliable form.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought his deal wasn't being black when he was human but looking Middle Eastern.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Lovecraft named The Black Goat Niggur

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this! posted:

I thought his deal wasn't being black when he was human but looking Middle Eastern.

Wikipedia says he was reminiscent of the Egyptian pharaohs of old or something. So...technically African?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

quote:

And it was then that Nyarlathotep came out of Egypt. Who he was, none could tell, but he was of the old native blood and looked like a Pharaoh. The fellahin knelt when they saw him, yet could not say why. He said he had risen up out of the blackness of twenty-seven centuries, and that he had heard messages from places not on this planet. Into the lands of civilisation came Nyarlathotep, swarthy, slender, and sinister, always buying strange instruments of glass and metal and combining them into instruments yet stranger. He spoke much of the sciences—of electricity and psychology—and gave exhibitions of power which sent his spectators away speechless, yet which swelled his fame to exceeding magnitude.

or in other words:
Black dude came out of the desert and the locals knelt to him instinctively because it is their blood to be servile to their superiors. Then he did some freaky Tesla stuff with electricity that made people go "woah".

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 25, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
"swarthy, slender, and sinister", that's the dream

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

We talkin' about Killer Croc or Nyarlathotep?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

At the risk of sounding like a doofus the first Quicksilver scene was perfectly crafted and had a slightly melancholy aspect to it that illustrated the loneliness of the character, but the one in Apocalypse was just goofy and dumb.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

precision posted:

Why did Kubo flop so hard anyway? We watched it the other night and it's absolutely fantastic, it seems like something that should have been a massive hit :confused:

I saw one poster for it when I was visiting Vancouver in early August and was like "huh, that looks neat." I neither saw nor heard anything about it in the States until it was on DVD.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Phylodox posted:

Wikipedia says he was reminiscent of the Egyptian pharaohs of old or something. So...technically African?
He's got thousands of forms, so there's that, but in Dreams In The Witch House he's described as 'the black man', which could I guess mean African or literally just like a shadow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lemon posted:

At the risk of sounding like a doofus the first Quicksilver scene was perfectly crafted and had a slightly melancholy aspect to it that illustrated the loneliness of the character, but the one in Apocalypse was just goofy and dumb.

it was good. goofy i can agree with. i couldn't wait for it to hit youtube since it was the only good part of the movie.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

f#a# posted:

I saw one poster for it when I was visiting Vancouver in early August and was like "huh, that looks neat." I neither saw nor heard anything about it in the States until it was on DVD.

It had tie in toys at Burger King. My nephew ended up with a Monkey toy of some sort. I didn't actually investigate it very much, but it exists. They don't really advertise kid's meal toys anymore though.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Neo Rasa posted:

I enjoyed Genisys because I went in expecting total megashit,
Expectation control is key with movies. I thought it was the best non-Cameron Terminator as Arnie was having a blast and the writing was clever as hell.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Slugworth posted:

He's got thousands of forms, so there's that, but in Dreams In The Witch House he's described as 'the black man', which could I guess mean African or literally just like a shadow.

Nah.

quote:

...a figure he had never seen before--a tall, lean man of dead black colouration but without the slightest sign of negroid features: wholly devoid of either hair or beard, and wearing as his only garment a shapeless robe of some heavy black fabric. His feet were indistinguishable because of the table and bench, but he must have been shod, since there was a clicking whenever he changed position. The man did not speak, and bore no trace of expression on his small, regular features.

He has the "regular" features of a white dude, but black skin. :spooky:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was good. goofy i can agree with. i couldn't wait for it to hit youtube since it was the only good part of the movie.

Magneto breaking bad after his wife and daughter was killed deserved a better movie, if only because mass decapitation strikes me as really gruesome for PG-13 even if it was technically bloodless.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jacob Tremblay of Room fame will play an autistic kid who might decode the Predator language.

Guy Mann posted:

Magneto breaking bad after his wife and daughter was killed deserved a better movie, if only because mass decapitation strikes me as really gruesome for PG-13 even if it was technically bloodless.

I loved the final battle of Breaking Dawn Part 2 for all the PG13 decapitations.

But my favorite is from the Clone Wars cartoon.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

For gently caress's sake writers stop using this lazy rear end writing crutch.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Forgot to post this one: Michael Bay's next movie will be set in a future where America's economy tanked and there is a mass migration of Americans to China. The story will be about an American-Chinese ex-Marine being hired by a Chinese billionaire to rescue his daughter in an American ghetto.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-wins-bidding-war-michael-bay-produced-script-trump-like-dystopia-968359

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The MSJ posted:

Forgot to post this one: Michael Bay's next movie will be set in a future where America's economy tanked and there is a mass migration of Americans to China. The story will be about an American-Chinese ex-Marine being hired by a Chinese billionaire to rescue his daughter in an American ghetto.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-wins-bidding-war-michael-bay-produced-script-trump-like-dystopia-968359

He's just producing, though

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i misread that and for a moment thought Danny from The Room was going to do the autistic child routine again at the age of 40-50

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

His design is excellent. He's not actually a crocodile man, that's not even his comic book backstory. He's just a guy with a hosed up deformity, so he doesn't look like the Hulk but an habitual swimmer, which he is. But his affected, performative blackness is reflected in his dressing like a boxer or pro wrestler so he can unveil himself dramatically. It's all a put on, which is a great reinterpretation of the character.

It's a completely understated little story about having a "skin problem". The assumption is that the character was born with a genetic deformity that makes him brutal and animalistic

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That brought me to the news that there's an adaptation of Larry Niven's "Inconstant Moon" coming out.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/arrival-producers-plan-new-sci-fi-film-director-james-ponsoldt-968523

It's funny because for some reason I was just thinking of this story not too long ago, years after having read it.

It will be funny if this ends up becoming Niven's first big-screen adaptation after Ringworld being in development hell for decades.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Mhmm now thats a Chinese-American joint production that hits right into the vein

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The MSJ posted:

I'm not sure if this is a rip-off of Big Trouble in Little China, or Escape From New York, but no Kurt Russell, no buy.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I would have figured Michael Bay to be a Trump supporter. Wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cacator posted:

I would have figured Michael Bay to be a Trump supporter. Wrong!

Nah, Bay is probably Hollywood liberal, but also realizes fascism pays better. His most humanist film (The Island) was also his only commercial failure, and then he re-used clips from it in Transformers 3, his most right wing film, there's gotta be at least some self-awareness going on there.

• Locked thread