Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The goat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZsAHYOg7Q

Apparently it originated from the oddfellows, not the masons!

An interesting article (I think, anyway) on the history of fraternal societies, masonry, and the goat.

http://phoenixmasonry.org/Moore_Riding_the_Goat.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Cholmondeley posted:

Time to dust off the goon goat.

The goat's sleeping!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Having now been raised I am seriously tempted to show up for Oil's third, when is it? I've got the important parts of visiting another lodge down, just won't have my card till the 7th or so.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hi Brethren! I'm happy to report that our Installation of Officers was well-attended and successful, with every incoming officer present to be installed.

That includes me, the new Senior Steward. Pleased to report that it went off almost without a hitch... except for the part when I accidentally caught our lodge's poor old Chaplain with my staff while I was leading our Worshipful Grand Chaplain to the altar for prayer...

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Hi Brethren! I'm happy to report that our Installation of Officers was well-attended and successful, with every incoming officer present to be installed.

That includes me, the new Senior Steward. Pleased to report that it went off almost without a hitch... except for the part when I accidentally caught our lodge's poor old Chaplain with my staff while I was leading our Worshipful Grand Chaplain to the altar for prayer...

I'm sure heel get over it (sorry I saw a lame pun, ran with it...)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
whoop whoop, tonight is the night. 2nd degree! Can't wait!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Cimber posted:

whoop whoop, tonight is the night. 2nd degree! Can't wait!

Early congrats on getting to hear the objectively best lecture.

Anyone going to the 6-valley degree day in Cleveland this Saturday? 6 degrees and a lunch for 10 bucks is a deal you can't beat.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It happened again, saw another SUV emblazoned with the s+c on the drive home yesterday. I feel like something has changed in my local area because I'm sure I would've noticed this before (my grandfather was a Freemason, so I'm not ignorant of those symbols). Also all the masons drive SUVs in my area

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Mine all drive pickups and have thoughts on minorities they want to share with you after lodge.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Last night, the incoming Grand Commander of NC, a past Illustrious Grand Master of NC, and a past Grand High Priest of NC got together to install me as Commander :shobon:

Super awesome night, I wish the picture were better. Me with the charter obviously.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Wow. WOW. That 2nd degree was fantastic. I picked so much more up from that than my 1st degree, probably because i had some familiarity with things. The MC lecture was fantastic, and the brother who did it did a flawless job, no stumbles, no pauses, nothing. He clearly did his work and he knocked it out of the park.

I am very impressed. I can't wait to see another lodge do it, so i can pick up even more.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Multiple people have told me I would benefit greatly from joining the Masons, and it would accelerate my career as a tradesman. But when I read the op to this thread it completely drains any interest I had. It seems super dry and a bunch of procedural rituals, like church, but without the fun bits (singing, snacks).

On the other hand a local chapter of "Oddfellows" is trying to recruit me and they have a haunted house, which is extremely cool. Tho I don't have to be a member to volunteer and scare children.

Anyway. Is there some aspect to masonry I'm missing that makes it not awful?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Keeping in mind that I've only been involved in this whole shindig for like five months so far, it seems to me that you get out of masonry what you put in, or put another way, masonry is what you make of it.

That said if you're joining in hope of some benefit to your career then you're going about things in entirely the wrong fashion.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

froward posted:

Multiple people have told me I would benefit greatly from joining the Masons, and it would accelerate my career as a tradesman. But when I read the op to this thread it completely drains any interest I had. It seems super dry and a bunch of procedural rituals, like church, but without the fun bits (singing, snacks).

On the other hand a local chapter of "Oddfellows" is trying to recruit me and they have a haunted house, which is extremely cool. Tho I don't have to be a member to volunteer and scare children.

You probably wouldn't get any advancement in your career by joining the Masons. There are snacks. You should probably join the Oddfellows, because that haunted house sounds sick as hell, and yeah, you're probably missing something.

Ritual isn't everyone's thing. I don't think anyone joins for that reason. I joined because it's a good group of people with values I identify with; meeting guys from all walks of life as equals to do some good for each other and the community. You could probably get something similar out of the Oddfellows; I'm not one myself, so I don't know anything about them.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

froward posted:

We have both singing and snacks. Also, a rich mystical tradition. But to be blunt, if you want to join to advance your career, then you shouldn't. That is the worst reason to join, and I would blackball any candidate I knew was joining for that reason.

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

Loomer posted:

We have both singing and snacks. Also, a rich mystical tradition. But to be blunt, if you want to join to advance your career, then you shouldn't. That is the worst reason to join, and I would blackball any candidate I knew was joining for that reason.

+1

Also some people treat it as though it's a social club. It's not really, you meet a lot of great people and freemasonry means something different to every mason I'd say.

There's a lot in masonry that is to be taken seriously and applied to your everyday life so if that's not what you're looking for that's fine but being a mason probably isn't your cup of tea.

Dirigibleful fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 28, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ritual isn't everyone's thing. I don't think anyone joins for that reason.

I did, but more because of its ties to history (I went through the same ritual that Geo. Washington did).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

You probably wouldn't get any advancement in your career by joining the Masons.

In some places you might get a step up in the Old Boys' Club by being a Mason -- if you're applying for a job and a woman and a non-Mason have exactly the same qualifications, and the dude in charge of hiring is a Mason, he might give you dibs. But like I said in the "how do I become a Youtube superstar" thread, do it because you love it, any benefits are incidental and fairly rare, and if you do it for the money you're going to be sorely disappointed (if you even get in, in this case).

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Okay, difficult question, brothers. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but virtually all Masons I've met have had very aggressively conservative politics. I've never had a problem with that, as it's just friendly disagreement.

The past three days, however, a few respected guys in my district (minor district officers, like District Education Officers) have really escalated, to the point that a few of them are posting things like these:

I'm really uncomfortable with this, in particular implications that political differences justify violent death. It's...cheapened my Masonic experience, in a way, seeing Masons I respect so clearly not adhering to principle. I feel lost.

I know this sounds dumb. But I can't get past it. I don't know how to put this to words, at least not adequately. It makes Masonry feel superficial. Am I completely overreacting?

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Emron posted:

Okay, difficult question, brothers. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but virtually all Masons I've met have had very aggressively conservative politics. I've never had a problem with that, as it's just friendly disagreement.

The past three days, however, a few respected guys in my district (minor district officers, like District Education Officers) have really escalated, to the point that a few of them are posting things like these:

I'm really uncomfortable with this, in particular implications that political differences justify violent death. It's...cheapened my Masonic experience, in a way, seeing Masons I respect so clearly not adhering to principle. I feel lost.

I know this sounds dumb. But I can't get past it. I don't know how to put this to words, at least not adequately. It makes Masonry feel superficial. Am I completely overreacting?

Yeah, try living in Louisiana with that poo poo. A local Lodge started posting garbage like that on their Facebook page and the Grandmaster had to come down on them. Now they just post generic "Respect the Badge", "Thin Blue Line" type memes. I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I just remind myself that it is an opinion. If any one of them try acting on these disgusting posts, I'll file Masonic charges so fast that their head will spin. I don't know how far it would go, but at least my conscience will be clear.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, it's pretty bad here in North Carolina, to the point where after I'm master next year (if I'm still in the state), I'm probably going to take a sabbatical from Masonry for a while.

But if I happen to move in the next few months like I'm planning, I'll have to really gauge the climate of the local lodges before I join one. I'm sick of going to dinner and hearing nothing but "yay trump" and "gently caress democrats" and pro-police, anti-protest, anti-Muslim etc. etc. etc. for an hour before lodge. When I try to say that we don't discuss politics in the lodge, I just get met with "we're not in the lodge, we're in the dining room". :geno: And that's coming from the master himself.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Emron posted:

:words:

First, this is a good point to whisper good counsel in those brothers' ears. Realistically speaking, you may not have the relationship to broach that topic with them.

As much as we like our fancy titles, Masons are painfully human. Even if they agree with the principles, sometimes their limited perspective also limits the application of those principles.

My advice to you is to either engage them about this if you're comfortable with that and if not, disassociate yourself from them as much as possible.

Option three would be to report the posts for harassment. Might get them suspended on FB.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Dick Nipples posted:

First, this is a good point to whisper good counsel in those brothers' ears. Realistically speaking, you may not have the relationship to broach that topic with them.

As much as we like our fancy titles, Masons are painfully human. Even if they agree with the principles, sometimes their limited perspective also limits the application of those principles.

My advice to you is to either engage them about this if you're comfortable with that and if not, disassociate yourself from them as much as possible.

Option three would be to report the posts for harassment. Might get them suspended on FB.

The problem I have with this is selfish, I have to admit: these guys can effectively stop me from being involved in any district events/work because they're movers and shakers. In one case, it's a past GM. I'm hamstrung in what I can or can't say if I want to help out in the district.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What happened to the masons during previous great partisan battles like the civil war?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

What happened to the masons during previous great partisan battles like the civil war?

Interesting question. Googled and found this.

http://www.themasonictrowel.com/Articles/History/united_states_files/freemasonry_and_the_civil_war.htm

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Thanks for that. It is very interesting reading.

(Although it does push some... questionable revisionist history, regarding the states rights stuff.)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 31, 2017

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bad here in North Carolina, to the point where after I'm master next year (if I'm still in the state), I'm probably going to take a sabbatical from Masonry for a while.

But if I happen to move in the next few months like I'm planning, I'll have to really gauge the climate of the local lodges before I join one. I'm sick of going to dinner and hearing nothing but "yay trump" and "gently caress democrats" and pro-police, anti-protest, anti-Muslim etc. etc. etc. for an hour before lodge. When I try to say that we don't discuss politics in the lodge, I just get met with "we're not in the lodge, we're in the dining room". :geno: And that's coming from the master himself.

Thankfully, NC has a very progressive Grand Lodge, especially for a southern state. We were the first, or at least one of the first GL's in the southeast to recognize PHA Masonry. I'm also fortunate that the lodges I belong to fall (mostly) outside of the awful, ultra right wing bs. In my most conservative lodge, we've started visiting back and forth with PHA lodges. We may lose a couple of bigots, but that will probably be for the best.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Emron posted:

Remind them that ours is a brotherhood of tolerance for other religions, respect for other's political views, and the shared brotherhood of all men, and that they represent not only themselves but, as officers of the Craft's district lodge, the fraternity itself and so need to act accordingly even if they can't believe it. If they disagree, punch them, resign, and join a new Grand Lodge - or more prosaically, try and make sure your Lodge remembers what Masonry is about.

One brother, when I first joined, gave me a piece of advice I rely on heavily with my own struggles with Grand Lodge here. Masonry tries to make good men better men - but some men are just plain cunts.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
This is not true for all lodges and may be a function of the general population in the area that you live. Are most people around you conservative? Do you live in a red state? While masonry is charitable and accepting of all men of good character those men may have views that disagree with you. If you disagree with them feel free to engage them in polite discourse to try and change their opinions, but as with all things political, don't expect either party(you or then) to change their minds.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

lord1234 posted:

This is not true for all lodges and may be a function of the general population in the area that you live. Are most people around you conservative? Do you live in a red state? While masonry is charitable and accepting of all men of good character those men may have views that disagree with you. If you disagree with them feel free to engage them in polite discourse to try and change their opinions, but as with all things political, don't expect either party(you or then) to change their minds.

I'm in Columbus, Ohio.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

Thankfully, NC has a very progressive Grand Lodge, especially for a southern state. We were the first, or at least one of the first GL's in the southeast to recognize PHA Masonry. I'm also fortunate that the lodges I belong to fall (mostly) outside of the awful, ultra right wing bs. In my most conservative lodge, we've started visiting back and forth with PHA lodges. We may lose a couple of bigots, but that will probably be for the best.

The Grand Lodge, yes, but the current Grand Master is a very conservative guy. A great leader and a great asset to Masonry, but very conservative.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I often have to step back and remember that only like 7 of the 100 counties in NC are even remotely liberal leaning, so doesn't surprise me that we'd all have such different experiences.

I had brothers telling me how to go visit PH lodges within like 45 seconds of finishing my third degree, and they all spoke very highly of the institution in general.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 1, 2017

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Emron posted:

The problem I have with this is selfish, I have to admit: these guys can effectively stop me from being involved in any district events/work because they're movers and shakers. In one case, it's a past GM. I'm hamstrung in what I can or can't say if I want to help out in the district.

Ya... that's a tough one. It's easy for me to sit here and say "fight the good fight!" but that's a lot of time and effort outside your own life with your family and work. Sometimes it isn't as easy as we like to think...

I'm not sure what to say brother - perhaps turn your focus elsewhere? Maybe an appendant body like RAM or focus on your lodge itself? That's a lovely situation to be in.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

The Grand Lodge, yes, but the current Grand Master is a very conservative guy. A great leader and a great asset to Masonry, but very conservative.

I would argue that he's liberal, but in the way our founding fathers were liberal.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
NC folks will no doubt be shocked to hear that in blue as gently caress Orange County almost all of the brothers I've met have been fairly liberal or more accurately moderate. Even the conservative guys are polite about their conservatism

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Oil of Paris posted:

NC folks will no doubt be shocked to hear that in blue as gently caress Orange County almost all of the brothers I've met have been fairly liberal or more accurately moderate. Even the conservative guys are polite about their conservatism

That's been my experience with a large number of OC brethren as well.

Next Thursday is the big day, no ?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Indeed!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hey guys, I am running for a very small local political position (Democratic Party State Convention delegate). I know there's a "no politics in the lodge" rule, but it would be nice to reach out for some support... what exactly are the limitations here? Is just putting out some feelers and asking for anyone registered as Dems if they want to come out to the caucus with me okay?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey guys, I am running for a very small local political position (Democratic Party State Convention delegate). I know there's a "no politics in the lodge" rule, but it would be nice to reach out for some support... what exactly are the limitations here? Is just putting out some feelers and asking for anyone registered as Dems if they want to come out to the caucus with me okay?

That's hard to say. I'd review your lodge's specific bylaws and your state's Constitution, first and foremost. I'd also be extremely hesitant to ask for support like that directly, because the whole point behind "no politics in lodge" is it's so divisive, so you'd want to make sure a brother would be with you 100% first.

In short, your mileage may vary, and I'd be cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Sorry to say, I have to work tonight, and I'll miss your degree. Best of luck, and I'll certainly see you soon up there.