Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

jaymeekae posted:

In this case, he didn't even cosign, the car is fully in his name.

From the comments:

God drat, if you can't set a good example, you can at least serve as a warning to others. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5q55yy/am_i_being_shortsighted_or_greedy_in_wanting_to/

quote:

My father passed two years ago and he left my now 14 year old son a 529 account which has grown about $1500 from 20500 to 22000. My father had only put money in for one or two years.

I don't make enough money to add anything to the 529, nor does his grandmother have any interest in doing so. I think the best thing my wife and I can do for our son is to make sure we don't become a burden to him. I had no ability nor intention of funding his education past high school and still expect him to work, support himself, either pay us rent or better yet live with roommates, and go to college on scholarships and student loans. Now my father split his estate so much that I am still left struggling, and every penny counts and must be invested for income now, growth and 40 years from now. I'm selling family heirlooms to invest the cash because I will literally never make another penny as long as I live.

So I think I ought to close the 529 and reinvest in my brokerage account. The 10% tax on the $1500 increase seems a reasonable price to pay to clear up the ownership, so my son isn't expecting this to be there someday, and to use it to calculate my current safe withdrawal rate.

I would've already done it if my wife wasn't opposed to it for some reason, imagining we don't need it, or wanting to help our son more than I do. I don't think my son will need it as much as I do now, being disabled, while he has as much potential as anyone to have a career and make good money. Plus, he stands to inherit everything some day as it's highly unlikely I will have any other children.

I know I can transfer it to someone else years from now, grandchildren, my wife's nieces and nephews, and I just don't see the point of that either.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Dear Abby, how do I raid my son's college account for myself? Sincerely, Stupid in Seattle.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

literally the worst r/pf post I've ever read. what a piece of poo poo

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Nothing will better impart the Randian values of bootstraps and self reliance to my son than stealing his college fund and spending it on myself.

Unless I could do that and also force him to pay me rent while he's attending college. That would be cool too.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Droo posted:

I don't think my son will need it as much as I do now, being disabled, while he has as much potential as anyone to have a career and make good money.

You know, I get that there are different disabilities and it's not always easy for an outsider to judge, but I find it hard to crank up much sympathy for a man who's planning to steal his son's $20K college fund and justify it because he's :qq: disabled :qq:, yet made this (conveniently now-deleted) post earlier this month:

quote:

Or, like myself, you include your family in your outdoor activities. And invite them to invite their friends if you want, though I haven't done this. We go on weekly trips from two hour trail runs to half day mountain biking, to overnight backpacking trips, among other things including swimming, snowshoeing, and canoeing. As well as adding daily hiking, biking, swimming and other outdoor activities to every vacation.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

:murder:

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Known Lecher posted:

You know, I get that there are different disabilities and it's not always easy for an outsider to judge, but I find it hard to crank up much sympathy for a man who's planning to steal his son's $20K college fund and justify it because he's :qq: disabled :qq:, yet made this (conveniently now-deleted) post earlier this month:

If you think about it, being a terrible human being is a kind of disability.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

GamingHyena posted:

If you think about it, being a terrible human being is a kind of disability.

No way, you could be living human scum and become President of the United States some day!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like that he says his sons will be fine because he will inherit everything he owns when he dies but is so broke he needs to raid his college fund.

Maybe his plan is for his son to re-inherit his college fund :v:

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
If that post wasn't typed on a wheelchair keyboard with a mouth stick I hope something happens to him that puts him in one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I read this as growing from $1500 to $20500 and I was kind of curious who that plan administrator was.

But holy loving poo poo what a jackass that guy is. I'm trying to think what it'd take for me to raid my kids' 529 plans and I'm thinking I'd have to lose a limb or two. Even if I went bankrupt, I could at least give them a boost into adulthood.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

"I don't believe in familial support or inheritance and want my son to work hard and pick himself up by the bootstraps, but by golly my daddy didn't leave me enough money when he died and I need that inheritance money!"

What a piece of poo poo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Looks like that's a burner account

I want to know what the disability is :(

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Renegret posted:

Kleptomania.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Yeah something like this happened to me when I was 14. I remember my dad asking me to sign a thing so we could buy the house....15 years later I'm talking about student loan debt with my brother and he goes "...didn't you get grandpa's college fund?"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Dude's going to day trade it all to zero.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

This is really, depressingly common.

"I'm doing this for the kid's own good. They should be thankful I care about them enough to support them financially."

*steals their own child's identity*

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Chocolate Milk posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5i9wdi/my_5_month_old_house_is_killing_me_how_do_i_get/

I find the claim that the house is probably worth 50k-100k more than the OP paid for it fairly doubtful.

It's really not that absurd if they're in a hot real estate market. A couple of years ago when Denver real estate was at it's hottest this kind of home value spiking happened a lot.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Renegret posted:

i doubt that was a burner, there's at least one post from 10d ago that's wiped now reinforcing the never-earn-a-penny-due-to-disability excuse is extremely questionable

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i doubt that was a burner, there's at least one post from 10d ago that's wiped now reinforcing the never-earn-a-penny-due-to-disability excuse is extremely questionable

or I'm just bad at using reddit then

I'm not ashamed of this

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm trying to think what it'd take for me to raid my kids' 529 plans and I'm thinking I'd have to lose a limb or two. Even if I went bankrupt, I could at least give them a boost into adulthood.

I was also trying to put myself in that mindset but I would probably just apply for a ton of disability aid saying "Boohoo I have $0! There is a 20k account but it's not mine so you can't consider it my asset!" Like, the 20k is in an aid-shelter so that I don't have to apply for aid for myself and my kid. This guy is so backwards. :psyduck: With this and all of the parental identity theft and mortgage co-signing on r/pf I redact every single complaint I've ever made about my own parents, jesus.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The post got deleted now, so hopefully that idiot learned their lesson and won't raid their child's inherita--

oh who am I kidding. :smith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Renegret posted:

There are disabilities that aren't physical. Learning disabilities are an example, someone with dyslexia or autism can still go on a hike. Still doesn't mean he gets to raid his kid's college fund.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Space Gopher posted:

This is really, depressingly common.

"I'm doing this for the kid's own good. They should be thankful I care about them enough to support them financially."

*steals their own child's identity*

"So what if I stole your identity/ran up a bunch of credit cards in your name/cashed out your inheritance? I raised you."

There is nothing more disgraceful than a parent that does this to their own child.

The most heinous, damaging acts of identity theft and fraud that I've ever worked on a client with didn't involve a hacker, or a Nigerian Prince, or a shady guy who stole their wallet... but rather a family member.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 25, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

monster on a stick posted:

There are disabilities that aren't physical. Learning disabilities are an example, someone with dyslexia or autism can still go on a hike. Still doesn't mean he gets to raid his kid's college fund.

I know

That doesn't answer any questions

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Sure, but this guy was saying his disability means he'll never earn another penny in his life. I'm struggling to think of a mental disability he could have where he's intelligent enough to write that post but debilitated enough to not be capable of performing literally any job.

Maybe his disability is being an utter piece of poo poo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Noctone posted:

Maybe his disability is being an utter piece of poo poo.

Yeah but I have a job

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Here's a dumb dumb:

Used my HSA as a debit card posted:

My question is simple. I had an HSA through a previous employer in 2016. I contributed about 400$ to it. I also on account of absolute laziness started using it as debit, and transferring funds from my checking account to the HSA and using it for everyday transactions. To the tune of about 7,000$. Am I going to have to pay taxes again on all the money spent from HSA, even though I transferred it from an account that was taxed prior to deposit? Sorry, I'm poo poo at grammar. Thanks in advance!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Guinness posted:

Here's a dumb dumb:

:wtc:

did he just not want to carry 2 cards around or something?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
hahahaha how the gently caress do you even go down that path in your life. that's like, creatively dumb

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm almost about to call troll on that, the HSA debit card should know the merchant codes for the businesses doing the transaction and block anything that isn't medical-related. This is literally how reward cards that pay you extra on gas/restaurants/travel work, except they don't block transactions on the code.

EDIT: I mean it's possible the HSA doesn't do anything based on the merchant code but :psyduck: they're going to have a fun time when the compliance guys come in and ask why they are letting people buy gas with their debit cards.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 25, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EDIT: I mean it's possible the HSA doesn't do anything based on the merchant code but :psyduck: they're going to have a fun time when the compliance guys come in and ask why they are letting people buy gas with their debit cards.

Yeah, I'd like to know how that's even possible. I had to send in documentation three times over just to prove that my charges from St. Elizabeth Hospital were actually medically related.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

At my old firm our HSA card would work for anything and they'd just mail you something if you spent money on something you shouldn't have to give you a chance to pay it back (I bought deodorant along with my prescriptions once). I guess if theirs worked the same way and you just ignored everything from your HSA it could happen.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Pryor on Fire posted:

Getting a *new* RV out of a guy is impressive. I don't know if that's her first time or if she's an old pro at this sort of thing but mad respect either way.

Devian666 posted:

Buying an RV so she can drive around the country while she fucks guys in it while he pays for it. Hmm, BWM for him. GWM and Good With Cock for her.

Droo posted:

Of course, months later, we broke up. So now she lives in this RV full time across the country that's in my name and my registration. She has been making payments every month on both insurance and loan. I know there are lots of dangers to this such as what about accidents or warranty or whatever.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah when I used mine a couple months ago for an eye exam, glasses and contacts and I never had to submit any paperwork. I'm assuming they either just saw that the charge was from an optician or they contacted the optician directly for an invoice.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

She's making payments for now while he carries risk. It's still GWC for her.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Noctone posted:

Yeah when I used mine a couple months ago for an eye exam, glasses and contacts and I never had to submit any paperwork. I'm assuming they either just saw that the charge was from an optician or they contacted the optician directly for an invoice.

Mine is dumb because they never question charges from CVS, but always need receipts and details for doctors and hospitals.

I assume they just trust cvs to properly filter purchases or something

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

melon cat posted:

"So what if I stole your identity/ran up a bunch of credit cards in your name/cashed out your inheritance? I raised you."

There is nothing more disgraceful than a parent that does this to their own child.

The most heinous, damaging acts of identity theft and fraud that I've ever worked on a client with didn't involve a hacker, or a Nigerian Prince, or a shady guy who stole their wallet... but rather a family member.

Yeah my brothers ex girlfriend had this problem, her mom stole her identity and defaulted on a bunch of credit cards. Try getting that expunged from your credit report without pressing charges, sysiphus had an easier time with the boulder up a hill thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, I'd like to know how that's even possible. I had to send in documentation three times over just to prove that my charges from St. Elizabeth Hospital were actually medically related.

There's something called a Merchant Category Code that businesses get when you sign up to accept credit cards. It's not just used for this but also on whether the transaction needs to be reported to the IRS or not.

Visa has their list here: https://usa.visa.com/content/dam/VCOM/download/merchants/visa-merchant-data-standards-manual.pdf

Horseback riding has an MCC code of 7999 :v: (but this is shared with a bunch of other stuff like miniature golf, aircraft rentals, shooting ranges, etc.) On the other hand, video game arcades get their own MCC code.

• Locked thread