Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this was my first total war game and its awesome. I played all the DLC and did a grand campaign with every faction.

Now im looking at the older total war games. I want to play Shogun 2 because im a big weeb, but atilla is a lot newer and it looks interesting enough. Are there any major changes that were done to warhammer total war that arent in the 2 games im looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'd go with Shogun for a flavor change. It's quite a bit different.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
which is the right version to buy? I see a gold, complete and several steam bundles that dont seem to specify any dlc. Im planning on playing during a 14 hour flight to korea next month and I want to get everything downloaded and pick out the quality of life mods now. Stuff like fixing ai cheating and bug fixes

If I end up liking it, is the fall of the samurai game any good? Im seeing mixed reviews

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 25, 2017

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Fauxtool posted:

this was my first total war game and its awesome. I played all the DLC and did a grand campaign with every faction.

Now im looking at the older total war games. I want to play Shogun 2 because im a big weeb, but atilla is a lot newer and it looks interesting enough. Are there any major changes that were done to warhammer total war that arent in the 2 games im looking at?

Shogun 2 is a good choice. First one that shook up the mold and the daimyo stuff is really cool but something they sadly abandoned in rome 2/attila. No hordes and instead of the chaos invasion even you get realm divide thing where basically you will fight a giant war vs everyone else.

Attila is basically the test run for warhammer so a lot of things will be pretty familiar like hordes and chaos invasion (the huns). It is a bigger game and you will get a little more variation in battles but it isn't quite as polished an experience as warhammer. Attila also has a cool mechanic where the world is actively getting worse permanently regarding arable land so there is a bit of a long term strategy element there.

Both handle sieges a little different and are focused more on growth/food production and squalor which warhammer gets rid of. Agents are not necessary.

Also fall of the samurai dlc is excellent.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 25, 2017

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Shogun II has two extra campaigns: Rise of the Samurai is set in I think the 12th century, and has a different focus to the main campaign: lots of low-quality infantry, with a few small multipurpose elites, and almost no cavalry. Fall of the Samurai is set in the 1860s, and it's the loving best. You get lines of rifles, naval bombardments, Gatling guns, insanely OP cannons. I would not call it super well-balanced but it's just a ton of fun. Aside from that there's the blood DLC, a pack or two of unique units, and a few extra factions for the main campaign and Fall. These basically come down to personal taste; I'd recommend the Otomo (who start out Christian and get access to some really nice matchlock and European units) and the Ikko-Ikki (a sort of revolutionary peasant revolt faction).

The game is great without mods. I'm sure people will recommend some good ones, but Shogun II is honestly the highest-quality game in the series, there's very few mistakes and annoyances. Maybe something to save you from having to play any naval battles.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fauxtool posted:

If I end up liking it, is the fall of the samurai game any good? Im seeing mixed reviews

Fall of the Samurai has excellent land combat, combining traditional armies with line infantry and artillery. It has a good strategic map, and the factions are a much better implementation of Realm Divide. However, Naval Combat is atrocious, and the moment you go to war there will be a dozen tiny fleets off your coast bombarding you every turn, which damages key infrastructure and income buildings. If I could turn off naval units, it would be a great game

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Pretty sure the Gold edition is both expansions and all the DLC for both the vanilla game and Fall expansion. I believe Complete is just Shogun 2 and all the Shogun 2 vanilla DLC, but don't quote me on that.

Fall of the Samurai is great and pretty much the best gunpowder Total War. It's closest in feel to Warhammer, with units being based on the idea of higher tech being flat out better than, while Shogun 2 vanilla is balanced around the idea of every unit having it's place and the starter units have a solid spot in an end-game army.

Shogun 2 is pretty much the tightest, most condensed Total War game and every piece has it's place, which while it does mean it can suffer from a lack of diversity, it also means the AI plays it quite competently and has the lowest level of "cheating" in the series. In fact, the AI doesn't cheat on normal with the exception that the AI doesn't have to deal with unhappiness from a freshly conquered province. The best Shogun 2 experience is with no mods, at least until you know which bit you want to change, which makes it pretty much unlike ever other Total War.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

fall of the samurai is real good, though it becomes real easy by the late game because the ai never really gets the memo on modern units. turns out dudes with swords and matchlockes can't really compete with breach loading rifles and artillery.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Against the AI, every late game battle turns into the massacre at the end of The Last Samurai.

And it is glorious :black101:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Just rush to Armstrong guns, and every battle is a massacre.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Roobanguy posted:

fall of the samurai is real good, though it becomes real easy by the late game because the ai never really gets the memo on modern units. turns out dudes with swords and matchlockes can't really compete with breach loading rifles and artillery.
AI represents a period appropriate daimyo. :colbert:

Bad Decision Dino fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 25, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool it looks like i can get shogun 2 gold edition for around $20. Where can i find a good deal on atilla
+ all dlc?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 25, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Honestly Shogun 2 itself will keep you busy for ages, and like others have said it's a fantastic game too. My favourite of the series before Warhammer came along.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

I think that's a product of the enemy not losing their early game armies without ceasing to exist shortly after combined with the AI never disbanding and replacing units.. In one of my games I saw off a number of invading armies filled with the usual chaff, and then when I launched an amphibious invasion a few turns later they suddenly had modern cannons and rifle toting units.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Fauxtool posted:

cool it looks like i can get shogun 2 gold edition for around $20. Where can i find a good deal on atilla
+ all dlc?

You have a 50% chance that attila will run like absolute dogshit regardless of how good your system is. Stick with Shogun 2. It really is the best total war.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Carcer posted:

I think that's a product of the enemy not losing their early game armies without ceasing to exist shortly after combined with the AI never disbanding and replacing units.. In one of my games I saw off a number of invading armies filled with the usual chaff, and then when I launched an amphibious invasion a few turns later they suddenly had modern cannons and rifle toting units.

You're right about the cause - you can see similar things with how Bretonnia in TW:W often has armies made of nothing but cavalry because they don't have infantry buildings and they don't rebalance even if they capture more regions and construct infantry recruitment buildings. But I think it actually sort of works from a narrative point of view in FOTS, where after the Learning Experience of losing their obsolete traditional forces, factions will re-arm with modern equipment. At least that's how I rationalise it, mentally.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah it works, except in cases where the player is positioned so that they can effectively kill the AI faction who's army they've just destroyed, giving the AI no time to re-arm. A good player can go through the entire game only ever having to actually annihilate a couple AI armies for each faction invaded before conquering all their land.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

You could also bribe armies with agents so some times it basically ends in you yoinking a stack with artillery and turning them on their friends.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should minotaurs cycle-charge or stay stuck in?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The Lone Badger posted:

Should minotaurs cycle-charge or stay stuck in?

Cycle Charge. That way, they do that "forward roll which crushes a half dozen enemies into clouds of blood" animation over and over, which is the best part of minotaurs :black101:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaza42 posted:

Cycle Charge. That way, they do that "forward roll which crushes a half dozen enemies into clouds of blood" animation over and over, which is the best part of minotaurs :black101:

Alternatively, hit narrow lines and then charge straight through them. You don't need to cycle charge when you don't get bogged down to begin with.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Alternatively, hit narrow lines and then charge straight through them. You don't need to cycle charge when you don't get bogged down to begin with.

It's hilarious to have them run back and forth, flinging enemies left and right for every charge, highly recommended! Dwarfs make the best balls.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
How do most people build Vlad when playing a VC campaign?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Really the biggest downside of minotaurs is that they are neither cats nor birds.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Pretty much anything is good. I like picking up +campaign movement, the upgraded invocation of nehek and raise dead ASAP, but from there it depends how I feel. Generally speaking the Red Tree is the best. I've actually had a lot of fun going deep on bats and wolves, then the grave guard upgrade further down the tree, but upgrading skeletons is a decent choice too. The +leadership while attacking red tree skill is very powerful.

Going into the combat stats can be fun too, as he's an excellent duelist. While there's nothing wrong with going heavy jnto casting with Vlad, he's no better at it than an average vampire lord or necromancer , so I tend to just focus on a couple core spells.

Vlad's unique skills that give +xp to all units and additional campaign movement are maybe the best in the game, so pick those up as soon as they're available.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 26, 2017

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Awesome. Thanks dude. Not sure if I wanted him to buff or become a combat monster.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Lone Badger posted:

Really the biggest downside of minotaurs is that they are neither cats nor birds.

This dude knows what's what.

Catbirds are the best.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nash posted:

Awesome. Thanks dude. Not sure if I wanted him to buff or become a combat monster.

Iirc he isn't a lord that needs the yellow tree for combat, just to be able to solo armies on normal

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lore of Vampires is really, really good so all their Lords should pick it up. That plus Vlad's special skills are good to aim for.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nash posted:

How do most people build Vlad when playing a VC campaign?

He is just stupidly OP no matter how you play him. I'd say just focus on fun. Or for max OP get lighting strike and then restart because it's too easy.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Nah never do lightning strike. With Vlad's vanguard deploy you can shuffle near the reinforcement point and set up so all the enemies line up against your wall of zombies and skeletons. Overcast wind of death and delight in the insane carnage.

Took a battle with outnumbered 3-1 and got lucky with deployment, Vlad finished with over 700 kills. So so good.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have been playing beastmen and the computer really hates me for auto resolves vs. empire.
It says I never have a chance against a full stack but when I play it out I destroy them so hard with chain routs. Its not like I have some weird unit comp. Its like 14 infantry and 4 archers with gorebull and the melee lord. I line up my units and charge straight at them. Gorebull and lord duel and I focus my archers on their archers first. No one has any cav, I just dont see why it thinks I should lose.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can't decide what kind of brayshaman I should have. Free manticorse sounds tasty, but so does the always excellent Lore of Death...

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Lore of Beasts is the way to go, imo. Flock of Doom really good, wyssans wildform is powerful. Manticore is solid but not as good as it was before summon decays.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I'd say go for the unique beastman spell set, Lore of the Wilds, and get free Cygors!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

I'd say go for the unique beastman spell set, Lore of the Wilds, and get free Cygors!

Sadly, Lore of the Wild has been pretty worthless since they nerfed Savage Dominion. It was already a lore with no really useful spells except the Cygor Summon, and with the decay mechanics it's not worth 28 winds and a caster slot anymore.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Or for max OP get lighting strike and then restart because it's too easy.

That is just for Vlad or everyone? :v:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

That is just for Vlad or everyone? :v:

Probably just Vlad since for most people (players, not lords, and who are bad at ambush stance) lightning strike feels more like a necessity.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its incredible just how quickly Vlad can smash opposing armies. When they haven't got time to get a second (Or sometimes even first) volley off ranged units are just utter deadweight, crippling most empire, dwarven and probably elven armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Silly question time. Why do I see other guy's armies have like 120 spearmen per spearman card? Mine have 30.

• Locked thread