Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

d0s posted:

Yeah, everything is designed to work with that one configuration, because it's what was sold in normal stores and not specialty places to be used as workstations/"real" computers. Just think of the A500 as a video game console and ignore everything else unless you're the sort of person who likes messing with old rear end obsolete operating systems and general computer history stuff.

Hi, I have an A2000 with WB3.1, a 2MB chip RAM expansion, a 40MHz 68030, a SCSI card with an SD card reader, 20MB of RAM, an Ethernet card, a replacement for Denise that does VGA out at up to 800x600, and I just ordered a 286 PC emulator card from Germany to go with the VGA Wonder I bought off eBay. :spergin:

I'm the sort of person who likes programming old-rear end obsolete operating systems.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Hey just FYI, GameStop is firesaleing PS3s for $40.

If you're looking for an easy way to play PSX games on a modern TV, this isn't a bad way to go.

Also I realize I'm probably opening a can of worms about whether or not the PS3 is considered "Retro" yet.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

xamphear posted:

"As we approach the 20th anniversary of the first MAME release"

"MAME 0.182"

:lol:

20 years in beta :psyduck:

First thing I'm doing when I get gigabit fiber next month is torrenting the latest set and all the snapshots and infodats and poo poo. Assuming new ISP and their hardware actually work. Should be minutes rather than hours.

d0s posted:

To add to this, if anyone uses MAME as a desktop app rather than with a fancy fullscreen launcher (for a cab or living room etc), check out ARCADE.

This is what I'll be going with. I've been using UIFX64 the past few years and ARCADE is apparently a continuation of that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I was so excited when I finally had a computer fast enough to play NFL Blitz at 60fps. dexter60fps would be proud.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

If you're looking for an easy way to play PSX games on a modern TV, this isn't a bad way to go.

Also I realize I'm probably opening a can of worms about whether or not the PS3 is considered "Retro" yet.

Shame all the Gamestops in my area are out of them and only got the Slim models that are still normal price. :sigh:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hi, I have an A2000 with WB3.1, a 2MB chip RAM expansion, a 40MHz 68030, a SCSI card with an SD card reader, 20MB of RAM, an Ethernet card, a replacement for Denise that does VGA out at up to 800x600, and I just ordered a 286 PC emulator card from Germany to go with the VGA Wonder I bought off eBay. :spergin:

I'm the sort of person who likes programming old-rear end obsolete operating systems.

I'm not into the crazy expansion like this because I think the only point to the Amiga is to play lovely eurogames, but I am jealous of your A2000 as it has the exact same compatibility as the standard A500 config but in a real case so HDDs and stuff can be easily added. I've been looking for a sidecar HDD for my A500 for years and the prices are straight up outrageous

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

Welp, tried doing the in-store search for one to no avail. I'd drop $40 for a fat.

Also just for anybody unaware, you can play PS1 games on I believe any PS2, and it does have component output. Unfortunately, game compatibility isn't 100%, but there's only a small handful of titles affected.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I like the Broglia emulators for my phone, as I think they play nicer with the touch interface for menus, but I like Retroarch with the XMB for my Nvidia Shield TV, since it has a controller and I'm used to using Retroarch on the PC in the same way now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

Well I'd say a system needs to at least have had all new production stopped first. That'd make the 360 and PS3 qualify as of the middle of last year... and the Wii U as of November.

Though the PS3 and 360 also both still have fully working network services, are receiving new software in both actual games (For instance, a Guardians of The Galaxy series by Telltale is still expected to release on 360 and PS3 this year) and updates to apps,

You could argue that the Xbox 360 Live Indie Games service is now retro, as no more games were allowed on it since October 2016, and the storefront for them (but not regular downloadable 360 games) is scheduled to close in September this year.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am trying to hook up my old Wii to the CRT with component, but the picture comes out of as this.

The other component devices work perfectly fine, but this Wii always had technical issues and was bought on launch ten years ago. The cables could always be bad as they are a multi-system component cable that works on the Wii/PS2/XBox. The old Wii does display proper in composite, which oddly if I start it in composite and switch to component, it display normal until i start a game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol @ the Wii U being current gen and retro simultaneously.

I still love my dead gay console though :smith:

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Reminder that you can still luck into a first gen PS3, which has native compatibility for PS1 and PS2 (instead of emulation). If your local GameStops have these $40 PS3s, might want to go look for those.

As an aside, there was also a "test" version of this unit for QA and game reviews and stuff that played games for any region for PS1, 2, or 3, original or burns. It's a magic device that just plays any PlayStation thing you throw in there and has HDMI out and, gently caress it, plays blu-ray movies too.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rirse posted:

I am trying to hook up my old Wii to the CRT with component, but the picture comes out of as this.

The other component devices work perfectly fine, but this Wii always had technical issues and was bought on launch ten years ago. The cables could always be bad as they are a multi-system component cable that works on the Wii/PS2/XBox. The old Wii does display proper in composite, which oddly if I start it in composite and switch to component, it display normal until i start a game.

Is the Wii set to progressive scan? I think that's what a 480p signal would look like on a TV that only supported 480i.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Elliotw2 posted:

Once they get a wide release, probably the AVS is a better option for playing NES games than a real NES. It's probably also cheaper than getting a NES front loader modded to work and have RGB/HDMI out and absolutely cheaper than a toploader with an RGB/HDMI mod.
I've been strongly considering an AVS because it seems like the most versatile option in my situation (I have a bunch of NTSC and PAL games, Famicom games and a Disk System). I'd still rather use the real hardware, preferably an AV Famicom with an RGB or HDMI mod, but those PAL games are a bit of a problem there because they poo poo themselves (mainly audio-wise) when played in 60Hz.

Obviously, until they release the AVS in Europe there's not much point in buying one anyway, because I'd still have to pay an arm and a leg to import the drat thing. And no matter what, it's not original hardware :saddowns:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 26, 2017

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

I still don't understand why they made the max resolution on the AVS 720p; was it really that much more expensive to source an FPGA that could do run 1080p with 4x, 4.5x, and 5x pixel scaling?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

Well, it's over ten years old and games have stopped being made for it. I'd probably give it a couple more years myself, but if someone came into this thread and started talking up the PS3 or the Xbox 360 I wouldn't throw a fit about it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

Is the Wii set to progressive scan? I think that's what a 480p signal would look like on a TV that only supported 480i.

Yeah that was the problem. I was able to switch it off by using the before mention composite cables to reach that menu and then swap back to component and turn it off. I turn the system off and the issue didn't return. :toot:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I thought they were still releasing PS3 games in Japan, since the install base there is much much greater than PS4. Maybe that was last year, though, and things have changed since then.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rirse posted:

Yeah that was the problem. I was able to switch it off by using the before mention composite cables to reach that menu and then swap back to component and turn it off. I turn the system off and the issue didn't return. :toot:

I should have mentioned this, but for future reference

quote:

- Power on Wii, give it a few seconds to boot
- Hold DOWN on the directional pad of the Wii remote
- While holding DOWN, press the RESET button on the Wii

The Wii reboots and the screen settings are back to default. All my other settings (wifi, console name, etc.) were intact.
Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252991

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Wii U was only current gen until the Xbox One and PS4 came out a year later. It spent the next 3 years til the production halt as a last gen system limping along.

Random Stranger posted:

Well, it's over ten years old and games have stopped being made for it.

Nah. Persona 5 is coming to it in April, and there's several Japan only releases coming out in February and March. The hardware production ceased last year, but there's still a few more games being made, and it'll probably pick up another roster update for some sports titles.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

drat, that's a sweet deal, hopefully Canada matches it.

d0s posted:

My setup (highlighting my sole dumping contribution to the MAME) :

So it's pretty much exactly MAME32UI from the late 90's. Excellent.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

fishmech posted:

Persona 5 is coming to it in April
April? Is the PS3 version coming a couple of months after the PS4 release or...

*checks PS Store*

...oh for gently caress's sake :negative:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Doc Morbid posted:

April? Is the PS3 version coming a couple of months after the PS4 release or...

*checks PS Store*

...oh for gently caress's sake :negative:

If it's any consolation, both versions were delayed to April, not just the PS3.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Nah, I'm getting it for PS4, I was just hoping the delay was only for the crappier version. :saddowns:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I had thought Persona 5 PS3 had been cancelled a while back. Good news for me, I guess.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

TheRedEye posted:

Reminder that you can still luck into a first gen PS3, which has native compatibility for PS1 and PS2 (instead of emulation). If your local GameStops have these $40 PS3s, might want to go look for those.

Those are listed at $60. And apparently you can't even check your local store for them so they may not be available at any GameStop.

TheRedEye posted:

As an aside, there was also a "test" version of this unit for QA and game reviews and stuff that played games for any region for PS1, 2, or 3, original or burns. It's a magic device that just plays any PlayStation thing you throw in there and has HDMI out and, gently caress it, plays blu-ray movies too.

Those are probably something you won't find at GameStop.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

d0s posted:

I'm not into the crazy expansion like this because I think the only point to the Amiga is to play lovely eurogames, but I am jealous of your A2000 as it has the exact same compatibility as the standard A500 config but in a real case so HDDs and stuff can be easily added. I've been looking for a sidecar HDD for my A500 for years and the prices are straight up outrageous

And for the disk games that hate 68030s (there are a few incompatibilities due to speed or slightly different instruction set) you can turn the expansion board off with a utility and fall back to the 68000/no Fast RAM setup. It's great. I paid $250 for it though.

This thing's not just for lovely Eurogames! I installed a web browser on it and can read forums :cool:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

A few corrections here:

- All ps3's will play ps1 games, this was never taken out.
- The test ps3's can't play commercial dvd's or blu-rays, they don't have a playback license.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ofecks posted:

I thought they were still releasing PS3 games in Japan, since the install base there is much much greater than PS4. Maybe that was last year, though, and things have changed since then.

The only PS3 games that are coming out in recent months are riding project inertia and didn't make the jump to PS4 instead for whatever reason, they're not newly-planned things. It's a dead machine :rip:.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I love the WiiU, and it would've been the perfect retro box if they'd gotten Gamecube games working on it (VC or discs) without user hacks.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hamster Arcade Archives' emulation isn't always perfect but they're quite reliable about patching their releases and I don't think they've ever left any of them in a poor state.

There's now three separate companies handling Neo Geo on PS4 right now - Code Mystics does a lot of the standalones like Metal Slug 3 and Garou, Dotemu's doing Windjammers and now Hamster has their own line of releases.

If you're a Darius fanatic you'll soon be able to buy Arcade Archives Darius on disc with lots of other junk for ~$150: http://ebten.jp/p/s/7015016102503/

Looks like the later Hamster releases got spruced up as well, with grafted-on caravan modes and in the case of a few games (Konami mainly) the different regional variations. Looks like I'm gonna snag Salamander/Lifeforce at some point!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

fishmech posted:

it'll probably pick up another roster update for some sports titles.

You clearly don't know anything about the long history of the PES series if you think it's going to be just one update.

dont be mean to me posted:

Those are probably something you won't find at GameStop.

Depends on your proximity to QA centers. I bet there are more than a few unknowingly kicking around in Montreal right now. Obviously this doesn't happen anymore because the death/churn of VG print media, but back in the day you used to be able to go to bay area Goodwill and find tons of weird poo poo. I still have old Katana marked discs for Dreamcast with EGM SANFRAN and EGM WEST sharpied on them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only PS3 games that are coming out in recent months are riding project inertia and didn't make the jump to PS4 instead for whatever reason, they're not newly-planned things. It's a dead machine :rip:.

I love the WiiU, and it would've been the perfect retro box if they'd gotten Gamecube games working on it (VC or discs) without user hacks.

I feel like the Wii U will be remembered like the GameCube. A good, solid system that didn't light the world on fire like its predecessors did.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like the Wii U will be remembered like the GameCube. A good, solid system that didn't light the world on fire like its predecessors did.

Now do the Switch.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's NAOMI emulation like? Do games still randomly not have textures?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think people will remember the Wii U as the Wii and be confused when you try and explain it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Charles Get-Out posted:

I think people will remember the Wii U as the Wii and be confused when you try and explain it.

Should have been called the Super Wii.

Then the Switch could be the Wii 64.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My bet on the Wii U is that it tracks historically like the virtual boy, especially when every game worth playing gets ported to the switch. Some people will want to collect it for the scarcity it will definitely have later on, but not much else.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Improbable Lobster posted:

Should have been called the Super Wii.

Then the Switch could be the Wii 64.

This would've been perfect. Especially since the Switch might actually have a 64-bit processor compared to the Wii U's 32-bit, this would be a more legit claim than the N64 branding.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

univbee posted:

A few corrections here:

- All ps3's will play ps1 games, this was never taken out.
- The test ps3's can't play commercial dvd's or blu-rays, they don't have a playback license.

Prettttty sure later models emulate PS1 rather than play from real hardware, anyone know for sure?

• Locked thread