Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skoll posted:

This is the best post in this entire thread.

The attention to detail with the hair is really what makes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

it really is brilliant

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it just me or is the bushwaker's model massively funky. From behind nad to the side it looks like a nova with a horrible tumor.

A tumor that can be shot when it peeks out behind the cover the mech is in.

I warned em. I told em pgi made it look fumb

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it just me or is the bushwaker's model massively funky. From behind nad to the side it looks like a nova with a horrible tumor.

A tumor that can be shot when it peeks out behind the cover the mech is in.

The bushwacker is the equivalent of a child trying to make a toy they don't have out of lego.

Imagine if you will that Johnny Inner Sphere sees his playmate Susie Clan CoolOmniStuff getting a toy. He doesn't have that toy but sure likes it. Unfortunately his parents Mr and Mrs Lostech can't get him one because it's not Xmas.
What does Johnny do?

Well he goes and makes his own out of legos. It's not as well made and kind of completely sucks in comparison but he's proud of it.

That's what the bushwacker is.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I don't know what's more sad.. That :pgi: did a :pgi: on the Bushwhacker, which isn't a great mech to begin with, or that people here bought one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm honestly more surprised that anyone bought the assassin.

2 edgy 2 cool name for the mech aside.

:pgi: should go all out and make a completely irredeemable piece of objective poo poo mech called the MegaDeth BloodSlaughterer just to see how it sells.
I bet it would sell ok on name alone.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DancingShade posted:

It's a fast SRM bomber. It's pretty good for securing kills on already-damaged mechs in 3025 Battletech. The name is apt.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Has anyone else noticed that they changed how overheating works? Previously it only damaged the CT but now it seemingly randomly damages all the components. I am very sick and just wanted to see if I could play the game without throwing up and my mechs randomly blow their arms, legs, torsos et.c. off after overheating 2-3 times. This is a huge nerf to some mechs, most importantly my BLR-2C. Or am I just hallucinating? I am pretty drat sick....

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that change was made more than a year ago

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
It's damaged all components for a long time now. It was just recently that they removed head damage from that, because you used to overheat and you could very easily blow out your cockpit instead of just losing some internal components or crit slots on internals.

Nothing else from overheating has changed.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thanks, guess I should stay away from the game while running a fever for 5 days straight, feeling prettty confused

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks, guess I should stay away from the game while running a fever for 5 days straight, feeling prettty confused

That sucks. Feel better, man.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
for new players: we updated the second post in the thread with some new brief 'mech descriptions if you're wondering whether the robot you want to buy is any good

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Commoners posted:

It's damaged all components for a long time now. It was just recently that they removed head damage from that, because you used to overheat and you could very easily blow out your cockpit instead of just losing some internal components or crit slots on internals.

Nothing else from overheating has changed.

I miss cockpit death from overheating. The 'O' key used to be a sign of uuuuuuge balls... now it's little more than e-micropenis.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DancingShade posted:

The bushwacker is the equivalent of a child trying to make a toy they don't have out of lego.

Imagine if you will that Johnny Inner Sphere sees his playmate Susie Clan CoolOmniStuff getting a toy. He doesn't have that toy but sure likes it. Unfortunately his parents Mr and Mrs Lostech can't get him one because it's not Xmas.
What does Johnny do?

Well he goes and makes his own out of legos. It's not as well made and kind of completely sucks in comparison but he's proud of it.

That's what the bushwacker is.

I know the lore of why the bushwacker happened, but even with that the PGI model of it looks like rear end. Most of the versions of it you see in games and in the tech readouts have a more squared off back end. IF you google around you can find a handful of old minis where it has the tumor butt, which I have to figure is where PGI got that idea.

Basically it would be like if they picked the most retarded plastic mini model of what an Atlas looks like to base their design on.

edit:

Most of the time you see Bushwhackers that look like this:

PGI decided to go this direction for some reason:

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 25, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ PGI's Bushwacker is pretty accurate to the TRO art, they just blunted the front end too much (like they always do) so it winds up looking kinda stubby and the back seems like it sticks out too far.

DancingShade posted:

It's a bug `Mech, like the Stinger, the Wasp, the Locust, the Cicada, and the Grasshopper.

The Assassin (Bug) is a Bug `Mech that's intended to kill other Bug `Mechs, and it's pretty excellent and murdering Stingers and Wasps.

Locusts... not so much.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 25, 2017

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Day of infamy is good and you should all play it

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Have they announced when the beta starts for Battletech yet?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Banano posted:

this game loving owns and cures that rash you have if you ever played day of defeat.

Banano you need to add me on Steam so we can play. I was also thinking of typing up a half-assed OP for that game and getting a server.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When will the skill changes come in? Thinking about robutting again, long enough to mess around with the new system and sort out my old mechs.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Skill system is supposed to go into public test server testing early Feb, launch with the Feb patch later in the month. That was the plan last I'd heard anything of it anyways.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Those bushwackers fall apart if you look at them, it's great.

Is it moving anything other than a crawl and boating lots of guns? It's running an XL so rip off a permanently exposed side torso and Bob's your uncle.

Plus they're big and lego block-alike enough that targeting specific parts is easy. Bad mech but nice to shoot.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DancingShade posted:

Those bushwackers fall apart if you look at them, it's great.

Is it moving anything other than a crawl and boating lots of guns? It's running an XL so rip off a permanently exposed side torso and Bob's your uncle.

Plus they're big and lego block-alike enough that targeting specific parts is easy. Bad mech but nice to shoot.

Plus you're in tier 4.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

Plus you're in tier 4.

2 actually.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

armchairyoda posted:

I miss cockpit death from overheating. The 'O' key used to be a sign of uuuuuuge balls... now it's little more than e-micropenis.

I still lose my cockpit like 2/5 times. It insta-kills me 4/5 times if I'm in my cicada or anything lighter.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

It's just your CT blowing out, or otherwise someone is shooting you in the cockpit. Overheating doesn't damage the cockpit anymore.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Plek posted:

I still lose my cockpit like 2/5 times. It insta-kills me 4/5 times if I'm in my cicada or anything lighter.

I haven't tested it much but when I overheat in the cicada I take a ton of damage.

It might have just been because it ran hot as hell and the slower heat dissipation took a toll. Didn't test extensively but I use ER large lasers in mine so deliberately cooking off to get that last kill is a calculated do-or-die gamble.

You can do it once when you're already around 90% heat. Maybe twice if you're on an ice map.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Plek posted:

What Commoners said.

But running an XL made it a 3/5 chance after 4 seconds or some such.

Good times.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Commoners posted:

It's just your CT blowing out, or otherwise someone is shooting you in the cockpit. Overheating doesn't damage the cockpit anymore.

It will absolutely still blow out my cockpit. Was it supposed to have changed? I have had it happen to both my catapult and banshee in the last two weeks.

e: I guess this is a good enough excuse to log on and run some 'tests'

e2: oh whelp, i'm wrong I guess. I'm at 10 mechs down and none have taken head damage yet. These are all in the test environment but that shouldn't matter.

Plek fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 26, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Also keep in mind that it's flat damage and not a percentage so you can overheat in an Atlas all day long but overheating in a Locust will pretty much instantly pop you if it hits anything but your arms.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

To instantly explode in anything you have to be really, really abusing override or you're firing something at a time that you have no good reason to be firing it. Most good light pilots will fight with override on and skirt their attacks right at the 100% mark, because barely dipping over will do almost no damage, but barely dipping over and shutting down will get you murdered.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
A single tic of damage from overheat in a Locust will most likely kill you.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Pressing O in anything under 50 tons is basically suicide. Pressing O in anything else is how to win.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

aniviron posted:

Also keep in mind that it's flat damage and not a percentage so you can overheat in an Atlas all day long but overheating in a Locust will pretty much instantly pop you if it hits anything but your arms.

I'm pretty sure there is SOME size scaling for overheating damage, it just scales less than the structure health does.

By the way, I just realised that the structure quirk -> armour quirk "buff" also makes you weaker against overheating. Between that and the increased backstab vulnerability it's probably a net negative for most mechs :pgi:

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Pressing O in anything under 50 tons is basically suicide. Pressing O in anything else is how to win.

Not pressing O in anything under 50 tons is suicide. If you get hit with overheating damage you could die. If you stop moving from overheating you will almost certainly die.

If I'm in a light, I'd rather roll the dice on death than suffer certain death by coming to a standstill in the middle of three angry enemy robots.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Don't overheat, scrub.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

I'm pretty sure there is SOME size scaling for overheating damage, it just scales less than the structure health does.

By the way, I just realised that the structure quirk -> armour quirk "buff" also makes you weaker against overheating. Between that and the increased backstab vulnerability it's probably a net negative for most mechs :pgi:

Really depends on if there's anything important in the affected component. On most mech's CT, structure is probably the best thing to have as the only thing in there is the engine which isn't really important. :v: But for the Atlas' sides, it's probably better to have armor so you can hang onto that AC20 and the SRMs for longer. Between the better preservation of your guns and the fact that you're tougher against the few types of weapons that do bonus damage to internals having the quirks as armor is probably better on the whole, but yes, it's a tradeoff between those things and surviving backstabs and overheats better. Really, though, if you're dying to overheats on accident in a 100-tonner you probably shouldn't be blaming PGI for that.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Banano posted:

First time someone has convinced me to spend money on this thread.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Structure still takes extra damage from crits even if it doesn't have any equipment in the slots of that component. You end up taking an average of 1.1x-1.3x extra damage on open internals compared to if you were taking damage on your armor. MGs and LBXs do a whole lot of extra damage to open critical slots, but it's still significant damage from everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: IT'S TRYHARD THURSDAY :siren:

Hope on your best meta mech and yell at each other and sperg about builds. Or just make it like every other night, whichever works

• Locked thread