Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Perfect blocking is not that hard once you're used to it but it can be a bit challenging at first. Basically, just block right at the enemy is about to attack. If their attack hits your block just after the block goes up, the enemy will be knocked back and you'll take (in most cases) no damage. This can't be done to take no damage from attacks that do multiple hits like the saw or ranged attacks like the iron, but the deflection will still happen.

Don't do it like Dark Souls, which is the common comparison. Hitting block right as the attack is about to hit you a la parrying in Dark Souls does not work because your block takes a second to come up, and if you're hit during the starting-to-guard animation you will be stunned instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I also found the hard way that hitting block but not holding it afterwards also doesn't guard. (At least with my timing it doesn't.) Maybe more skilled goons can correct me if I'm wrong.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Regarde Aduck posted:

New to the game but i'd heard that the iron was good for parrying. Not quite sure how the parry mechanic works. I think I skipped or missed that particular tutorial. Some people say for the iron you press L1 or R1 depending on the hand which I found odd because that does absolutely nothing. I'm confused and missing something. Help.

Also, press down on the Dpad to bring up the map.
I don't know why the game doesn't explain this to you sooner.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Poulpe posted:

Also, press down on the Dpad to bring up the map.
I don't know why the game doesn't explain this to you sooner.

Remember I said that I asked something that was in the tutorials? Well, this is that thing. I was (nicely, for the record!) told that its in the very first tutorial. But at that point you get a lot of tutorials very fast, and the map isnt exactly the priority at that point (when you are still working out the controls and the left hand/right hand weapons and everything) so I just plain forgot by the time I was exploring and could have really seriously used a map.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
http://letitdiethegame.com/news#/762

quote:

Maintenance will occur at the following time:
1/27/2017 00:00 – 05:00 (PST)
27/1/2017 08:00 – 13:00 (UTC)

Maintenance Details
– Minor UI/menu adjustments
– TDM adjustments
– Waiting Room adjustments
– Fixed various quest issues
– Various bug fixes

This post will be updated with further information, so please check back.

We will also update our Patch Notes page with more details at a later date.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding.

Could "Fixed various quest issues" mean an end to Haters killing Screamers first and loving up all those quest requirements? Here's hoping!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

SiKboy posted:

Remember I said that I asked something that was in the tutorials? Well, this is that thing. I was (nicely, for the record!) told that its in the very first tutorial. But at that point you get a lot of tutorials very fast, and the map isnt exactly the priority at that point (when you are still working out the controls and the left hand/right hand weapons and everything) so I just plain forgot by the time I was exploring and could have really seriously used a map.

I figured it out around floor 8 or 9 from a Mei-Jin Tip :gonk:
I legitimately didn't realize it was anywhere in the tutorials

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Someone please tell me why I have 15 DOD black metals (none of which I need) but not a single black MILK

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

HoneyBoy posted:

Someone please tell me why I have 15 DOD black metals (none of which I need) but not a single black MILK

DOD Black drops from Coen on 26, one of the easiest 20-30f bosses. MILK Black can only be found in trap chests within the same region and is everyone's bottleneck (along with DOD Green for the 10-20 tier).

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

HoneyBoy posted:

I feel like this game knows when you need a specific thing and goes out of its way to gently caress you over. I soo soo need black and red M.I.L.K. metals but all I get are D.O.D. ARMS metals!

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I think the tiers of metals are of ascending rarity.

D.O.D correlates to Coen and floors 1-10 and are therefore the most common.
Millitary comes from Jin-Die and the 11-20 floors and is a little rarer.
Candlewolf correlates to Goto and the 21-30 floors and is rarer still.
M.I.L.K. correlates to a U-10 and the 31-40 floors and is therefore the rarest.

So basically Milk is always the rarest and DOD is always the most common, even from chests.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

TopHatGenius posted:

I feel like this game knows when you need a specific thing and goes out of its way to gently caress you over. I soo soo need black and red M.I.L.K. metals but all I get are D.O.D. ARMS metals!

Yeah, this is more what I'm getting at. After getting tired of the black metal farming run I went and fought Goto on 36F and got three red Candle Wolf metals in a row.

It just feels deceptive as hell when you open the chest and get a lower tier metal like green War Ensemble or something when all you need is one more black MILK.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
What kind of twisted gently caress sends out fully geared Hunters with 5star armor-chewing stunlocking weapons?

On the other hand, thanks for the +4 Hornet Saber :getin:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So there was a bajillion GB patch for this the other day. Anyone know what got changed?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Maintenance Details
– Minor UI/menu adjustments
– TDM adjustments
– Waiting Room adjustments
– Fixed various quest issues
– Various bug fixes

Is the extent of the patch notes. Reddit has varying accounts of fixes to quests, but the "Climbing from X to Y" seems to not break from Haters at least?

EDIT : And simluations only pit you against two of your fighters, because that was a XP farm? And the reward box has glitchy word spacing.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008
Per Reddit, the 34F Coen crash and the grade 5 ( tier 3 ) durability issues remain unfixed.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
They fixed the golden animal dupe glitch (eating an golden animal right as a TDM raid fades to black used to give XP but not remove it from your inventory. Now when a raid is deemed "complete" (all targets destroyed and no-one eligible for capture), you freeze in place.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

They also massively nerfed how much you can gain from the TDM fights. :( I got 2 skulls total from 3 fights that I actively participated in and got high ranks on. Guess it's time to actually climb the tower again.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
It wouldn't even give me targets for 2 of the fights yesterday.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I have started to get Team Yotsoyuma targets for raids now, which is awesome, since they are usually holding 10k/10k instead of the usually less than 3k/3k player targets are holding.

Did you always lose decals if you die while raiding? I seem to remember losing equipment, but I had one die over the weekend and she was stripped of literally everything, including decals. Was that a change form the patch or was it always like that?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Always like that, unfortunately.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Just started playing this a few days ago and got stonewalled by a well-equipped lvl 25 hunter on 3f. Game is pretty fun. Few quick questions:
*OP Mentions the multiplayer terminal, when do I unlock that, because it doesn't seem available ATM (again, only on 3f but that'll change later on today).
* I've gathered from various tutorials that there's multiple classes you can choose from, focused on different things, when do I unlock those?
* Punching seems cool as hell and I kinda want to devote a character entirely to pugilism. That a viable option?
* Having to exit out to the arcade, go to the quest menu, have the game tell you that yeah you completed them, and then finally being able to go back in and pick up your reward seems dumb as hell. Who thought that was a good idea?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

HaB posted:

I have started to get Team Yotsoyuma targets for raids now, which is awesome, since they are usually holding 10k/10k instead of the usually less than 3k/3k player targets are holding.

Did you always lose decals if you die while raiding? I seem to remember losing equipment, but I had one die over the weekend and she was stripped of literally everything, including decals. Was that a change form the patch or was it always like that?

You lose non-premium decals, yeah.

All your premium decals go back to the mushroom club. I found this out after failing to realize that raids debuff your lifeshroom.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Just started playing this a few days ago and got stonewalled by a well-equipped lvl 25 hunter on 3f. Game is pretty fun. Few quick questions:
*OP Mentions the multiplayer terminal, when do I unlock that, because it doesn't seem available ATM (again, only on 3f but that'll change later on today).
* I've gathered from various tutorials that there's multiple classes you can choose from, focused on different things, when do I unlock those?
* Punching seems cool as hell and I kinda want to devote a character entirely to pugilism. That a viable option?
* Having to exit out to the arcade, go to the quest menu, have the game tell you that yeah you completed them, and then finally being able to go back in and pick up your reward seems dumb as hell. Who thought that was a good idea?

You unlock the "multiplayer" aspect as you ascend, probably the next floor, don't remember.
Classes are largely irrelevant for the first couple tiers of fighters, they become more specialized as you get higher grade fighters and their stat spread diverges quite a bit, again, ascend to unlock.
Punching is definitely viable, it's good for conserving weapon durability when you can reliably kill enemies with just fisticuffs, takes a long time to master though. It won't do gently caress all to bosses however.
You can just chat up Naomi and the quest will complete there if it's done.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Adding to fisticuffs chat - punching is a goddamn miserable grind. I'm guessing that the average player won't reach Lv20 fists after beating the game, but may get to it when the developers release new floors? That said I have no idea if max fists can do good damage against floor 31-40 Screamers.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
To repeat to new players, if the enemy is strong, use mushrooms. Fluffy fungus is maybe one of the better ones, but tear gas can work too. A sleeping or unaware enemy can be approached from behind and suplexed with X. Enemies on the floor from Boomshrooms or decoyshrooms can be stomped on. Rage attacks from Irons and Fists are also pretty handy, in my experience (Only just reached 20F though.)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Rage attacks in general are good "NO YOU" buttons to press against Haters, regardless of the weapon.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I feel it worth noting, you can click R3 to cycle to a description of each weapons Rage Move. Fireworks and Assault Rifles can lead to embarrasing self-kills at point blank. Though Fireworks rage are a pretty good ranged hater kill (if you have any Dex.)

And don't be terribly scared by level numbers on characters. They can be misleading in many ways.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

TopHatGenius posted:

Adding to fisticuffs chat - punching is a goddamn miserable grind. I'm guessing that the average player won't reach Lv20 fists after beating the game, but may get to it when the developers release new floors? That said I have no idea if max fists can do good damage against floor 31-40 Screamers.

Fists are useless outside of 1v1 at that point.

Enemies have thousands of HP, up to 8k or something like that, your punches do maybe ~100 on hit, ~50 on block, that's at max mastery.

Slashing weapons loving decimate the 30s though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

TopHatGenius posted:

Weird, I mastered punching somewhere in the 20s. I use it against every weapon except a few risky ones. It's good against every tuber up until mk. 5 and even then it still stunlocks bone and scratch easily.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

TopHatGenius posted:

Nah - I hit lvl 20 Fists pretty quickly. Got some early advice to use them a lot early on, because you ALWAYS have that weapon, and other weapons break pretty quickly.

I just reached Floor 30 and in the upper 20s, Fists were still somewhat useful - definitely against anything with a slow weapon - Knight's Lance, etc. I can toe to toe with pretty much anything except the Flaming Sword. For some reason I cannot get either the counter OR the dodge timing down.

HoneyBoy posted:

Fists are useless outside of 1v1 at that point.

Enemies have thousands of HP, up to 8k or something like that, your punches do maybe ~100 on hit, ~50 on block, that's at max mastery.

Only against the most heavily armored opponents do I see numbers anywhere NEAR that low. Mine are more like ~200 on hit, ~85 on block. But that's against armor. Head armor breaks pretty fast if you're doing the R2 R2 R1 combo, and that's easily around 450 dmg without a critical and between 600-1000 with criticals. My usual technique is to melt armor away with the Iron, then punch things to death to save the Iron for later.

tap my mountain posted:

Weird, I mastered punching somewhere in the 20s. I use it against every weapon except a few risky ones. It's good against every tuber up until mk. 5 and even then it still stunlocks bone and scratch easily.

Yeah. Samesies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Your weapon masteries are shared across all your characters, so you dont need to devote a character to anything; If level up your fists to level 20 then ALL your characters have level 20 fists (same goes for any weapons). Its a good idea to level up your fists in general because if your weapons all break mid fight it would suck to not have a decent last resort.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Ehh, I guess for me it's a matter of "do I want to fight this room 1v1 taking turns for 4 minutes or should I just swing a chopper or katana around and clear everything in 30 seconds"

Fists do completely destroy Tubers though, and I think every common enemy in the game gets stunlocked by the R2, R2 wait, R2, R2 wait combo.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I use R2 R2 R1 to expedite it a bit. It's riskier but you can roll away from most counterattacks if they block the R1.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Is there anything for maxing all the masteries?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't bother going out of your way to grind for max fists. You're supposed to level it up very slowly over time. It's nice to have the big damage boost, but it won't break the game.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there anything for maxing all the masteries?
You would need the blueprints (and do some insane material farming) for all 3 Jackal weapons and Uncle Death's Scythe for this. I'm not aware of anyone that's bothered, but it seems unlikely.

In other news, I just had a random crash launching a TDM raid. Restarted the game to find all decals/gear gone, so I guess it treated it as a loss. I had some good non-premium decals on that guy :argh:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Gory kills don't appear to deplete weapon durability. I leveled a stolen out-of-ammo Jackal pistol all the way to 20 by stunning enemies and doing the gore kill on them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Are the Jackal blueprints obtainable?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Were Yotsuyama TDM targets common before the patch? I don't recall seeing them previously, and holy poo poo do they make a difference for grinding points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

HellCopter posted:

Gory kills don't appear to deplete weapon durability. I leveled a stolen out-of-ammo Jackal pistol all the way to 20 by stunning enemies and doing the gore kill on them.

This is correct. No durability hit, no ammo used, but you get weapon XP for them. It's kinda great.

• Locked thread