Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Gum posted:

I figure their concern isn't about getting back in pre-brexit but the possibility that having recently been out of the country for an extended period of time might disqualify them from whatever provisions are put in place afterwards. Nobody at any level of government knows if this will be the case

If you've been out of the country for more than 6 months in any given year and/or the total days of absence amount to more than 320 days within the past 5 years you're boned. You can write a letter and ask for discretion, but it's up to the caseworker to decide.

All of this, mountains of documentation and the following costs:

£1.2k for citizenship review
£399 for an appeal if it fails
£100 for the life in the UK test
£1k-2k in lawyer fees

lmao

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

jBrereton posted:

Don't throw in the towel 2 years before anything definite happens. That's how deportations happen. That's what racists want to happen. That's what sneering Express headlines about "BASTARD EU MIGRANTS FLOOD YOUR CITIZEN'S ADVICE BUREAU LOOKING FOR HELP" seek. gently caress em. Keep trying. Ring the Home Office ten times to try to get someone who isn't poo poo if needs be.

Make sure to ask for mystic meg

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
well now

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/824285781636370432

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The bombing of Corporation Street was a Good Thing, though. If it hadn't happened, they wouldn't have ever redeveloped the city. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Madiba, Huey Newton, and the Haymarket Martyrs were terrorists, whereas England was England, so I'm not sure they're making the strongest condemnation of 'UKLabour'.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Fucks sake Corbyn. If you condemn all bombing then the answer you're searching for is 'yes'.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I take it it's highly recommended to not continue with my permanent residence application by myself and to hire an immigration lawyer. Especially since being Swiss is even more of a clusterfuck than being EU.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Prince John posted:

Fucks sake Corbyn. If you condemn all bombing then the answer you're searching for is 'yes'.

Yeah the fact he bails and hangs up is- Christ, what an arse

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

I take it it's highly recommended to not continue with my permanent residence application by myself and to hire an immigration lawyer. Especially since being Swiss is even more of a clusterfuck than being EU.

If you've got the money, that would certainly be my advice mate. Good luck with it, and to all you Eurogoons. :( Sorry for being such a poo poo country.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

That's what I did. At least when poo poo goes wrong your lawyer will know what the proper response is and how much they can push the HO. I really recommend getting a lawyer. I mean I've kinda accepted the fact that I'm most likely not getting my citizenship application approved and that I'll have to apply for PR a year from now which may also result in another rejection.

Basically a lawyer will help you stress out less. So far I've spent a total of £3-£4k on everything. This has been going on for 18 months.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Coohoolin posted:

Wait does this mean you really are no true scotsman?

Best of luck with your legal stuff for real though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Prince John posted:

If it helps keep your spirits up, I suspect that the competence level will increase the higher up the appeals chain you go, so at some point you will reach the desk of somebody who knows what the gently caress they're doing.

LOL

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

While your local MP can't really do much about an immigration case, MPs who are not complete shits will at least write a letter to the relevant agency asking them to sort it out, That includes Tories and pro-Brexit MPs. Can't hurt

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Prince John posted:

If it helps keep your spirits up, I suspect that the competence level will increase the higher up the appeals chain you go, so at some point you will reach the desk of somebody who knows what the gently caress they're doing.

Good point, the more forms you send in the higher chance of a cleaner fishing one out the bin

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Paxman posted:

While your local MP can't really do much about an immigration case, MPs who are not complete shits will at least write a letter to the relevant agency asking them to sort it out, That includes Tories and pro-Brexit MPs. Can't hurt

My pro-Brexit Tory MP wrote back saying that my citizenship appeal is still being reviewed, and the wait can be indefinite as there are no 'service standards'. My lawyer said that's bull and they can't spend more than 6 months reviewing an appeal.

Hell here's a scan of the letter I got back:

edit: I mean yeah he called them up and I'm really grateful for that, but the main 2 concerns were:
-waiting for a goddam while which is becoming unreasonable
-they didn't interpret EEA law correctly at all, which he didn't even refer to in the letter, and I made a big rear end point about it in my original letter to him

vvvv sorry, typo, it's meant to say £1k-£2k

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 25, 2017

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

awesome-express posted:

If you've been out of the country for more than 6 months in any given year and/or the total days of absence amount to more than 320 days within the past 5 years you're boned. You can write a letter and ask for discretion, but it's up to the caseworker to decide.

All of this, mountains of documentation and the following costs:

£1.2k for citizenship review
£399 for an appeal if it fails
£100 for the life in the UK test
$1k-2k in lawyer fees

lmao

Why are you hiring an American lawyer? :raise:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Paxman posted:

But not the former MP Danny Alexander. He did gently caress all. Useless oval office. God I'm glad to see the back of that shithead, though I'm sure he's got a very cushy job now.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Paxman posted:

A pro-Brexit Tory MP is pretty much the textbook defintion of a complete poo poo

Whats particularly alarming to me is that this has cost someone (who has lived in this country for 12 years) £3-4k and its still this much of a clusterfuck, over (reading between the lines) what to me seem minor/trivial issues. If this is the case for someone who has been able to put this much time, effort and resources in, imagine those in a similar position/degree of uncertainty, but who can't afford legal assistance...

All I can say to people like Awesome et al is don't give up. Thats what the fuckers want - to put up enough bureaucratic barriers and obstacles that people give up.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gum posted:

Good point, the more forms you send in the higher chance of a cleaner fishing one out the bin

Might be a Good Will Hunting cleaner, but he's a savant in immigration law instead of mathematics

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

In all seriousness my French partner gets her 5 years in the summer how hard is this really going to be? :/

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Lord of the Llamas posted:

In all seriousness my French partner gets her 5 years in the summer how hard is this really going to be? :/

It depends. What makes my own case really complex is I run my own company and previously I was entrepreneurin' pretty hard trying different concepts and stuff before finally finding something that generates decent revenue. Things like that are hard to document with a Home Office-approved paper trail. If your partner was in full-time employment as an employee for those 5 years then it should be straightforward. Any gaps and the Home Office gets really trigger happy with rejections.

In my case I just have a bunch of opened an closed Limited companies, and there are no legal provisions for that. But hey, at least I pay 40k in tax every year, right?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

awesome-express posted:

It depends. What makes my own case really complex is I run my own company and previously I was entrepreneurin' pretty hard trying different concepts and stuff. Things like that are hard to document with a Home Office-approved paper trail. If your partner was in full-time employment as an employee for those 5 years then it should be straightforward. Any gaps and the Home Office gets really trigger happy with rejections.

In my case I just have a bunch of opened an closed Limited companies, and there are no legal provisions for that. But hey, at least I pay 40k in tax every year, right?
*notes down "pays tax, very unbritishly" in immigration file*

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Home Offices around the world will lie their asses off when it comes to duties and deadlines they have to keep so getting a lawyer if you can afford it is the most important thing for dealing with bureaucracy. Of course if you happen to forget something for even a second they will come after you with the wrath of god. But that will surely change after evil Bruessel is finally told off, right?! No.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

jBrereton posted:

*notes down "pays tax, very unbritishly" in immigration file*

That's the thing, before this whole Brexit rigamarole I was more than happy to pay HMRC ludicrous amounts of tax. Because hey, the UK's a kickass country that allows me to be free with my tech ventures. It's full of great people and I want to help make this country better through my own contributions.

But then someone took a massive dump on my optimism and I am now a cynical bastard who can't seem find any joy in life. I guess that's the true citizenship test?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

awesome-express posted:

That's the thing, before this whole Brexit rigamarole I was more than happy to pay HMRC ludicrous amounts of tax.

*record scratch*

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I still pay in, only now I moan and bitch about it

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

awesome-express posted:

That's the thing, before this whole Brexit rigamarole I was more than happy to pay HMRC ludicrous amounts of tax. Because hey, the UK's a kickass country that allows me to be free with my tech ventures. It's full of great people and I want to help make this country better through my own contributions.

But then someone took a massive dump on my optimism and I am now a cynical bastard who can't seem find any joy in life. I guess that's the true citizenship test?

I'd say that being cynical is quite a British trait, so congratulations I guess :)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pochoclo posted:

Trust me, if the UK starts doing mass deportations of EU citizens, you won't want to stay anyway. If something like that happens I'm not even gonna bother applying for any citizenship because lol the UK's economy will collapse faster than a house of cards under a waterfall of ignited napalm. Dublin and Amsterdam are probably good choices to move to, maybe Berlin if I can be arsed to learn German.
Dutch is waaaay easier to learn than German, trust me. Also while I don't know your skillset, you probably want to move to Frankfurt, Hamburg or Munich, not Berlin.

awesome-express posted:

I am now a cynical bastard who can't seem find any joy in life. I guess that's the true citizenship test?
You passed!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

awesome-express posted:

Question XXXIIX - circle one answer only
Hope is...
  1. A picnic in February
  2. Betting on England in a major football tournament
  3. A gauche Americanism
  4. A bourgeois construction
  5. A lie

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
My employers are poo poo. When I started they hosed my tax code up so I ended up with a rebate, and this year they've managed to undertax me so I'm sending HMRC an extra £50 a month as of April

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Junkozeyne posted:

Home Offices around the world will lie their asses off when it comes to duties and deadlines they have to keep so getting a lawyer if you can afford it is the most important thing for dealing with bureaucracy. Of course if you happen to forget something for even a second they will come after you with the wrath of god. But that will surely change after evil Bruessel is finally told off, right?! No.

What exactly is it the laywer does apart from writing letters to keep annoying them into moving forward? We're perfectly capable of filling out forms?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

What exactly is it the laywer does apart from writing letters to keep annoying them into moving forward? We're perfectly capable of filling out forms?

They know the legal system and can demand things using established precedents.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Let's take a moment to laugh our asses off at the Guardian for an incredible failure in properly sourcing quotes:

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/824388930975916032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

I'm having a hell of a time collecting the required documentation about when I was out of the country, and a good paper trail of documents like leases, bills, bank statements, poo poo like that. I don't know how much I need, how precise I need to be, and I don't have time in between a Master's degree, work, and a relationship, to deal with it effectively.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

My employers are poo poo. When I started they hosed my tax code up so I ended up with a rebate, and this year they've managed to undertax me so I'm sending HMRC an extra £50 a month as of April

In their defence, they should just be applying the tax code HMRC tell them to use, so it's probably HMRC's fault unless they buggered up your paperwork.

Speaking of which, I may have done this before, but ~~public service announcement~~ - everyone should sign up for HMRC's online services here.

It's incredibly easy if you've used the Government's Verify system before (e.g. to renew a passport, apply for an EHIC card, or renew a driving license) and it'll let you view your tax code and make changes as needed online, without needing to hang on the phone for half an hour days waiting for someone to pick up.

Three people at my work had wildly incorrect codes because the government had just assumed that benefits from an old job were still being applied to their current jobs. I was being charged for two incomes at once, despite my new employer submitting the P45 - HMRC just didn't end my old employment while recognising the new job. Might be a good use of 10 minutes and save you giving the government an accidental loan.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Well she's been in continuous full time employment basically the entire time so doesn't sound like it'll be much of an issue...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Let's take a moment to laugh our asses off at the Guardian for an incredible failure in properly sourcing quotes:

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/824388930975916032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Comment is Free: Welcome to Tiny Train World

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
edit: never mind

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would it be accurate to say that the domestic political situation in Britain is similar to Liverpool's premiership during the Corn Laws and Regency?

• Locked thread