Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Disagree mr. Zuvella.

Unless they were going to flip him again for picks.

A straight up swap of a player on a long contract who is not so good, for a player on a contract who is way better, and extremely easier to trade would be the smartest thing the Knicks would have done in the past 10 years.

So smart, in fact, the Cleveland would literally never do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lockback posted:

His defense needs to get better.

This is true but lemme take this opportunity to post a clip of his MAX DISRESPECT block from last night.

https://twitter.com/Timberwolves/status/824099169086439424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Who is Derrick Jones other than being the next Aaron Gordan victim

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Would you like to play a little game? I made two videos, each showing ten different 3pt attempts by JR Smith, first shown in real time, then repeated twice in slow motion. The clips cut off before the ball goes into the basket (specifically, the clips cut off one second after the ball leaves his hands). Each of the videos shows JR Smith making or missing exactly eight out of the ten attempts. I want you to guess which of the videos is the one where he makes 8.

The idea behind this is, can people tell if the ball is going in or not just by looking at a player's form? I'd like to get a bunch of responses to I can do some analysis. PM me which video contains the 8 made shots, video 1 or 2, or email me at dokmosa@gmail.com, or answer here if you want.

Video 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcl3VeFl0o

Video 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllbPAusrvE

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Tae posted:

Who is Derrick Jones other than being the next Aaron Gordan victim

He mostly plays in the D League but the dude can dunk

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/824072899233353728

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNXBaabKtVU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

Would you like to play a little game? I made two videos, each showing ten different 3pt attempts by JR Smith, first shown in real time, then repeated twice in slow motion. The clips cut off before the ball goes into the basket (specifically, the clips cut off one second after the ball leaves his hands). Each of the videos shows JR Smith making or missing exactly eight out of the ten attempts. I want you to guess which of the videos is the one where he makes 8.

The idea behind this is, can people tell if the ball is going in or not just by looking at a player's form? I'd like to get a bunch of responses to I can do some analysis. PM me which video contains the 8 made shots, video 1 or 2, or email me at dokmosa@gmail.com, or answer here if you want.

Video 1

Video 2

PM'd

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
dokmo, would it be ok if I posted this to another public forum (not reddit) with your email address in order to get a handful more responses?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

dokmo posted:

Video 1

Video 2

I can't watch these at work, but I will most likely just look to see which 3s were taken in party cities and which were taken in Cleveland, Minny, Milwaukee, etc.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kibner posted:

dokmo, would it be ok if I posted this to another public forum (not reddit) with your email address in order to get a handful more responses?

Yes.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

pubic works project posted:

N: Pacers G Glenn Robinson III is going to participate in the dunk contest.

V: Mmkay. That's something.

I guess GR3 has a secret dunking talent.

Even the dunk they put in the highlight is just decent.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Name the last King who participated in the rookie game. We are pretty bad at taking advantage of being bad

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Watching the Suns lately, Booker is a completely different guy when the team is playing well. I don't know if they can really go another year past this one of being this bad without his agent demanding a trade, which so far isn't a demand they've stood up to. The problem is the Suns aren't really tanking, they're just super young.

Tae posted:

I don't know anything about this upcoming draft besides apparently Marshall Faulk is the #1 prospect? (he's 5'10?? Uhhhhhh)

If the Celtics get the #1 pick, who do they pick?

loving lmao.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WhyteRyce posted:

Name the last King who participated in the rookie game. We are pretty bad at taking advantage of being bad

The answer is usually Isaiah Thomas to anything the last time the Kings did anything good

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

dokmo posted:

Video 1

Video 2

Sent an email

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

dokmo posted:

Video 1

Video 2

Definitely will respond tonight or tomorrow, fun idea.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Rick posted:

Watching the Suns lately, Booker is a completely different guy when the team is playing well. I don't know if they can really go another year past this one of being this bad without his agent demanding a trade, which so far isn't a demand they've stood up to.

Eh I mean the circumstances are a little different. Dragic was about to be a free agent and had his legs cut out from under him when they signed IT. Markieff Morris was (rightfully, imo) pissed when they traded Marcus without even giving them a heads-up.

Devin Booker is the face of the franchise on a rookie contract and spends his free time trolling Mill Avenue for ASU girls with low self-esteem.

I think they're going to be decent sooner rather than later anyway if this month is indicative of anything.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Eh I mean the circumstances are a little different. Dragic was about to be a free agent and had his legs cut out from under him when they signed IT. Markieff Morris was (rightfully, imo) pissed when they traded Marcus without even giving them a heads-up.

Markieff might have been pissed but he and his brother had also recently been accused of assaulting their high school/college mentor (for sending their Mom text messages) at the time. If those allegations are true, I would trade both of them as fast as I could. I believe the phrase people in the NBA use regarding trades is "it's a business."

Didn't Deron Williams (while he was the face of a franchise) find out he was traded one time watching espn while jogging on a treadmill?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Markieff might have been pissed but he and his brother had also recently been accused of assaulting their high school/college mentor (for sending their Mom text messages) at the time. If those allegations are true, I would trade both of them as fast as I could. I believe the phrase people in the NBA use regarding trades is "it's a business."

I would have done the same thing but they ended up keeping them until they thought they had a chance at LMA and traded Marcus in a salary-dump. I don't care for the twins much but I feel like it was super obvious that trading one and keeping the other wasn't going to go down well considering they negotiated their contracts jointly.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

every time I think of the Nets' situation I wonder if the league would do anything to help that pitiable situation. definitely not a good look for a team in a major market to be so destitute, I think.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Carlosologist posted:

every time I think of the Nets' situation I wonder if the league would do anything to help that pitiable situation. definitely not a good look for a team in a major market to be so destitute, I think.

Prokorhov exists outside established NBA patronage networks, unless he's worked out a deal with silver. Their Spurs connections at least give them the possiblity of trading a late first round pick for a good backup point guard or limited euro big should the need arise.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

Didn't Deron Williams (while he was the face of a franchise) find out he was traded one time watching espn while jogging on a treadmill?

It looked like the grand jury was going to let them off but the county insisted on a new grand jury and they might actually go to trial this summer. I think the facts that come out show that Morrises weren't nearby when the assault took place, but it was by their friend, on the man dating their mother. Pretty weak stuff and I don't think it will amount to anything, and I'm glad the Pistons got Marcus for nothing as a result.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I responded. I think I know the right answer but I am also an idiot so who knows

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nate Robinson is trying to join the Cavs but they aren't listening.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Nate Robinson is trying to join the Cavs but they aren't listening.

They have a better younger version, my boy Kay Felder

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BWV posted:

I responded. I think I know the right answer but I am also an idiot so who knows

I have roughly 88% confidence in my answer but I know Dokmo is a tricksy feller so I'll leave a 12% hanging out in the howling wind

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

It looked like the grand jury was going to let them off but the county insisted on a new grand jury and they might actually go to trial this summer. I think the facts that come out show that Morrises weren't nearby when the assault took place, but it was by their friend, on the man dating their mother. Pretty weak stuff and I don't think it will amount to anything, and I'm glad the Pistons got Marcus for nothing as a result.

The mental image of a bunch of 6'8 guys cramming into a Bentley and speeding away from a South Phoenix playground always makes me laugh

edit: VV nope you're right, it was a Rolls-Royce

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 26, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spacebump posted:

IIRC they both attempted to flee the scene in a Rolls Royce Phantom Bentley painted bright purple. They're not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 26, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Brolander posted:

I watched a celtics game with the logo
now have an insatiable need for GE Durable Goods

i just ordered three gas turbine plants from GE, i wish the NBA had considered my fragile and impressionable mind before promoting consumerism

real talk I had a GE dishwasher and it was a piece of poo poo

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

I have roughly 88% confidence in my answer but I know Dokmo is a tricksy feller so I'll leave a 12% hanging out in the howling wind

I thought we had a separate sub-forum for these types of statements.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/824396782973161473

Fred is such a terrible coach. "Hm, we have no good point guards and the team obviously plays better with Jimmy running the offense surrounded by decent shooters, but I don't want to destroy the precious Rajon Rondo-Doug McDermott bench relationship. Let's start Jerian Grant instead"

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

There's only room enough for one points guard named Jim in the NBA

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Looking forward to watching the Raptors poo poo in their own mouths again

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spacebump posted:

I would be very interested in someone going back and finding out just what the hell was going on in Utah when they made that trade. Sloan and Williams were supposedly at odds, but Sloan retired so I'd love to know what the Front Office saw.

At the time the Deron Williams trade was viewed as Utah getting completely ripped off trading a guy that didn't want to leave. Deron got worse over time so it doesn't seem like such a big thing anymore, I guess.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

BWV posted:

Looking forward to watching the Raptors poo poo in their own mouths again

2allstars1iso.wmv

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Probably just the team being cautious but maybe a sign a trade is about to happen.
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/824403880071102464
Wes had a minor hip injury last game and Carlisle previously said he expected him to play tonight. All signs have point to Cuban not wanting to trade Matthews because in addition to not being bad anymore, they like what he brings to the locker room culture.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://theringer.com/signature-nba-moves-shaun-livingston-carmelo-anthony-giannis-antetokounmpo-5798ff6438eb#.ilejxxe1x (Shea Serrano)

quote:

• The Carmelo Anthony “gently caress Your Triangle” Iso: If Carmelo catches the ball and then puts it behind his head, it’s a wrap, baby. That shot’s going up.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 26, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

I would be very interested in someone going back and finding out just what the hell was going on in Utah when they made that trade. Sloan and Williams were supposedly at odds, but Sloan retired so I'd love to know what the Front Office saw.

At the time the Deron Williams trade was viewed as Utah getting completely ripped off trading a guy that didn't want to leave. Deron got worse over time so it doesn't seem like such a big thing anymore, I guess.

MV may remember better, but iirc Williams was changing the plays on the court and not communicating it to other players or staff. Sloan confronted him, they got into a verbal conflict during a game; Sloan went to Miller and said I'm 70 and I can't deal with this poo poo anymore.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i am 99% sure, but you never know

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

MV may remember better, but iirc Williams was changing the plays on the court and not communicating it to other players or staff. Sloan confronted him, they got into a verbal conflict during a game; Sloan went to Miller and said I'm 70 and I can't deal with this poo poo anymore.

Yeah, I do remember that (and thought it was really weird and sudden for Sloan but whatever), but then why dump Deron? Because he got into a tiff with a coach who already quit? I'd love for someone to interview some FO personnel to find out what was actually going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The good ole days when Deron vs Chris Paul was a legit argument

• Locked thread