Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Comptroll The Forums posted:

In a bizarre twist of fate, Lester masters throwing to first but at the cost of all pitching ability. His WHIP climbs to 3.500 but he has 100% success at picking off any base runners.

There has to be an elaborate monkey-paw wish that would lead to this outcome, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poque posted:

I hope that there is somebody who learned from him during 2016

:lol: D'Arnaud had 78 attempts against him (8th in the majors) in only 615 innings caught. Molina caught almost double the amount of innings and only had 85 attempts.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Giancarlo Stanton has announced he's playing for team USA.

Nice.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This looks like it could be funny and good. It's unfortunate that Azaria shows haven't worked in the past but hopefully IFC is the right outlet for him.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/brockmire-trailer-hank-azarie-funny-die-baseball-amanda-peet-tca-video-1201887198/

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Greg Holland to the Rockies on a one year deal with a vesting option for a second.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

tadashi posted:

This looks like it could be funny and good. It's unfortunate that Azaria shows haven't worked in the past but hopefully IFC is the right outlet for him.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/brockmire-trailer-hank-azarie-funny-die-baseball-amanda-peet-tca-video-1201887198/

That looks awful in the edgy try-hard style that is all the rage in cable drama/comedies so I imagine it will do great once Netflix or Amazon picks it up after it doesn't find an audience.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Hwang didnt hit that much until 2014, when the KBO juiced the ball, and he plays in San Francisco, where home runs go to die. So we're only missing a handful of sick bat flips probably. Which is still too many.

KBO in 2012: 615 HR, 4.12 runs/game, 258/334/364
KBO in 2016: 1418 HR, 5.68 runs/game, 290/364/438

I forget if they admitted changing the balls, but that's pretty blatant. They also expanded from eight teams to ten, which explains some of the increase in home runs. But still.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

will_colorado posted:

Greg Holland to the Rockies on a one year deal with a vesting option for a second.

Surprised it took so long for him to get signed even with his TJS issues, considering how big elite closers have become.

Is he going to be ready to pitch opening day?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

150% certain he got a call from an enraged southerner screaming at him about bat flips

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Gee I hope y'all got in on this before they sold out.

Somewhere Darren Rovell is writing what a beautiful thing this deal was.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 25, 2017

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Man, the Rockies almost look like a contender. If their young pitching staff can keep it up, they could make some noise this year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also that's yet another closer the Nationals courted but couldn't land. Do they know something we don't? Did Melancon talk poo poo about them to the other closers or something? :tinfoil:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

No David Ross to bail him out this season is going to be a bit worrying, though. :ohdear:

Have the Cubs given any indication of whether Contreras or Montero will be catching him?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
The good news (if you can call it that...) is that the coroner said there was no evidence Ventura was robbed and that he died on impact. So at least that story might not have been true.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Timby posted:

Have the Cubs given any indication of whether Contreras or Montero will be catching him?

I would assume it would have to go to the guy with the good arm. (Contreras)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Spoeank posted:

150% certain he got a call from an enraged southerner screaming at him about bat flips

You mean Bumgarner, right?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

My guess is Contreras is the preferred battery mate given his arm, but you'll probably see Lester throwing to both in spring training and if he's having trouble with Contreras then Lester will probably get paired with Montero despite the potential stealing issues. Pitching well but allowing steals is a better outcome than pitching poorly but not allowing steals. Honestly I think the biggest issue with Contreras catching Lester is that Lester sometimes gets very upset on the mound and needed Ross to come in and tell him to cool the gently caress off and Just PitchTM. Montero has enough veterancy that I think he could do that as well, but in the heat of the moment Lester might not be willing to take that from a rookie. I guess you could have Bosio come out to the mound instead but you can't do that as much per game.

alpha_destroy posted:

The good news (if you can call it that...) is that the coroner said there was no evidence Ventura was robbed and that he died on impact. So at least that story might not have been true.

It would at least help restore a little faith in humanity, which would be nice. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

My guess is Contreras is the preferred battery mate given his arm, but you'll probably see Lester throwing to both in spring training and if he's having trouble with Contreras then Lester will probably get paired with Montero despite the potential stealing issues. Pitching well but allowing steals is a better outcome than pitching poorly but not allowing steals. Honestly I think the biggest issue with Contreras catching Lester is that Lester sometimes gets very upset on the mound and needed Ross to come in and tell him to cool the gently caress off and Just PitchTM. Montero has enough veterancy that I think he could do that as well, but in the heat of the moment Lester might not be willing to take that from a rookie. I guess you could have Bosio come out to the mound instead but you can't do that as much per game.

Yeah, that was kind of where I was heading with my question -- when Lester gets riled up his delivery goes all over the place.

Wasn't there one Cubs pitcher who raised a huge stink about being caught by Contreras last season? Was it Arrieta?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Timby posted:

Yeah, that was kind of where I was heading with my question -- when Lester gets riled up his delivery goes all over the place.

Wasn't there one Cubs pitcher who raised a huge stink about being caught by Contreras last season? Was it Arrieta?

It was Lackey, and Contreras followed it up by catching back to back shutouts by Hammel and Hendricks

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

will_colorado posted:

Wow, was the market for him really so bad he had to go to Coors field?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Poque posted:

It was Lackey, and Contreras followed it up by catching back to back shutouts by Hammel and Hendricks

Speaking of Hammel, he's apparently still a free agent. Yikes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Wow, was the market for him really so bad he had to go to Coors field?

Rumors as of this morning were that the Nationals were also close to getting him, but I guess that fell through. A team that's built to win now and headed by 2016's NL Cy Young winner in a fairly noncompetitive division, or a team still in the tailend of rebuilding in a very competitive division, where you'd also have to pitch half of your games in Coors during a year you're trying to prove you're 100% back from TJS. And Holland chose the latter.

The Nationals inability to land any type of closer is getting to really loving weird levels :psyduck:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Rockies may have just straight up overpaid for a reliever with a lot of health risk.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GeneX posted:

Speaking of Hammel, he's apparently still a free agent. Yikes.

Rosenthal was saying back in December that the feeling around the league was that his elbow issues are a lot worse than his camp was letting on, and I think the potato chip thing from the summer scared a lot of people, too (you basically have to be drinking a swimming pool of alcohol or taking a poo poo-ton of Ex-Lax every day to get hypokalemic to the point he was claiming -- and no reputable physician would look at hypokalemia and say, "Oh, just eat some potato chips, you'll be fine"). He switched agencies two or three weeks ago, but I think at this point he might be lucky to get a non-roster invitation.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Coors is probably easier on your health than being managed by Dusty Baker

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

This feels weird.

Edit: this is when the Marlins are coming to Seattle, for the record.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Rosenthal was saying back in December that the feeling around the league was that his elbow issues are a lot worse than his camp was letting on, and I think the potato chip thing from the summer scared a lot of people, too (you basically have to be drinking a swimming pool of alcohol or taking a poo poo-ton of Ex-Lax every day to get hypokalemic to the point he was claiming -- and no reputable physician would look at hypokalemia and say, "Oh, just eat some potato chips, you'll be fine"). He switched agencies two or three weeks ago, but I think at this point he might be lucky to get a non-roster invitation.

Not pitching a single inning in the post season last year, even out of the pen, probably didn't help much either.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ice To Meet You posted:

You mean Bumgarner, right?

:thejoke:

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
There was something posted here once, some sort of baseball sim with audience interaction where they could choose to get a hit or bunt or even bunt foul, i think it originated on SA but I could be wrong . Does anyone know of what I'm talking about ?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

There was something posted here once, some sort of baseball sim with audience interaction where they could choose to get a hit or bunt or even bunt foul, i think it originated on SA but I could be wrong . Does anyone know of what I'm talking about ?

I think you want The perfect baseball game is 19 hours long and has lots of crying

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I love Jon Bois so much

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/pgammo/status/824413837965328385

Not gonna lie, didn't expect this level of take from Peter Gammons.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Jon Lester has been pitching for ten years in the majors, and has yet to learn to throw to first. I would bet a lot of money he is not even thinking about working on it, and the reality is he doesn't have to as long as he can continue to pitch like an ace.
rLester is never going to be good at throwing to the bases. Get over it.

To be honest he should be thinking about it because it's something they teach you in goddamn Little League and the Cubs should insist he work on it in the offseason.

Yes, he's been a great pitcher for us the last 2 years, and even before that in Boston. It's asinine not to expect a goddamn major league not to be versed in the basic fundamentals of the game. It's not unreasonable to think that his inability to hold a runner on first or throwing away a little tapper to the mound could cost us runs and maybe a game or two down the stretch.

Granted, I'd rather have the great pitching and the inability to throw to first than the reverse, but to say that he shouldn't even be thinking about it or not even working on it is pretty dumb.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 26, 2017

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

"I am the Seinfeld i have to be the Seinfelt"

-- Ray Romano, explaining why he stole Jerry Seinfeld's gym bag.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

This is exactly it . Thanks !

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Is there a SA Fantasy Baseball League?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jon Bois is so good

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

To be honest he should be thinking about it because it's something they teach you in goddamn Little League and the Cubs should insist he work on it in the offseason.

Yes, he's been a great pitcher for us the last 2 years, and even before that in Boston. It's asinine not to expect a goddamn major league not to be versed in the basic fundamentals of the game. It's not unreasonable to think that his inability to hold a runner on first or throwing away a little tapper to the mound could cost us runs and maybe a game or two down the stretch.

Granted, I'd rather have the great pitching and the inability to throw to first than the reverse, but to say that he shouldn't even be thinking about it or not even working on it is pretty dumb.

Lester is arguably one of the top ten pitchers in baseball at the moment, so clearly it's not that big of an issue. Instead of spending a ton of time trying to learn mechanics to throw to the base - which by the way could potentially screw with his mechanics to the plate which are far more important - I'd rather he spend that time working with whoever his new catcher is going to be and improving (or at least maintaining) his pitching prowess.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ScottyJSno posted:

Is there a SA Fantasy Baseball League?

Check in the armchair quarterback subforum, that's where all the fantasy stuff is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

You know, in all the years he pitched for Boston, I cannot remember one instance where it was ever mentioned that he could not throw to first base.

• Locked thread