Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Police are filming and taking photos of protesters

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Here's the article:

quote:

Peter Moore: January 26 is the birth of modern Australia — deal with it
Peter Moore, Geelong Advertiser
January 26, 2017 12:00am
Subscriber only

IT’S that time of the year again. Yup it’s Australia Day today.

As per the norm, I was alerted to this significant and hugely symbolic occasion by the entirely predictable bleatings of discord from indigenous representatives.

At the local level, Wathaurong Aboriginal Co-operative chair Annette Xiberras said the date should be changed to a day during National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC) Week.

“It was the start of our genocide,” Ms Xiberras said of January 26. “To us, it’s a day of mourning.”

Not a new slant on the matter, so let’s put it into perspective

In the last census, 3 per cent of Australians described themselves as of Aboriginal or Torres Straight Islander descent. For the mathematically challenged, this means that 97 per cent of Australia’s population is not and quite naturally don’t view the landing of the First Fleet in the same way.

Whether we like what was done or not, the Australia of today was shaped and formed by the landing of the First Fleet way back in 1788. To most, January 26 doesn’t represent an invasion, a war or the start of a systematic annihilation of a race of people; it is merely an easily recognisable historic event on which we can say with some certainty that modern Australia was born.

There is nothing to be ashamed about this historic fact.

Suggestions that a more suitable day would be May 27 — recognising the constitutional equality given to indigenous people on that day in 1967 — is absolute rubbish.

While a significant day in the country’s social history, it has no bearing on the why, how and when of modern history.

On this basis we might just as well hold Australia Day on the day when the Commonwealth Franchise Act of 1902 was passed, allowing women to vote in the 1903 Federal election; at least this celebrates a day that 50 per cent of the population can identify with.

A quick glance at what is available in terms of memorable days in Aboriginal history that are officially recognised by all reveals:

MARCH 21 — Harmony Day. This date coincides with United Nations International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination and began to be commemorated in 1999 as a day to encourage tolerance and understanding between Australians of all races and cultural backgrounds;

JUNE 3 — Mabo Day. Commemorates the anniversary of the 1992 High Court decision in the case brought by Eddie Mabo and others that recognised the existence in Australia of native title rights.

On the 10th anniversary of this day in 2002 there were many calls for the day to become a public holiday, an official national Mabo Day; and

ABORIGINAL and Torres Strait Islander Sunday on the first Sunday in July helps kick off NAIDOC Week with some prayer and reflection. It is a chance for all to celebrate the life of Australia’s indigenous peoples.

So you see by and large it would be nice if the other 97 per cent of the population could have a day to celebrate the birth of modern Australia on a day that we all find appropriate.

Being a fair man and aware of England’s dastardly role in Australia Day, I’ve drafted an apology letter for the Queen to be read out tonight:

“Her Majesty’s Government would like to apologise to all Australians. We apologise for endowing your country with the most sustainable form of democracy on the planet.

“We, in England, can barely sleep at night worrying over the imposition of the British legal system on an unsuspecting population when so many of your neighbouring countries offer such viable and desirable alternatives.

“We sincerely regret America getting involved in England’s World War II and removing the opportunity for Australia to unite as one under the Japanese flag.”

There you go, England’s really, really sorry but facts are facts. Australia Day marks the birth of the nation.

And to the indigenous peoples, the more you concentrate on the past the less you will connect with the future.

:barf:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

old man is old.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I read the Bill Leak cartoon more like "the acknowledgement to country is meaningless window dressing if you are simultaneously involved in imperialist repression"

quote:

Suggestions that a more suitable day would be May 27 — recognising the constitutional equality given to indigenous people on that day in 1967 — is absolute rubbish.

While a significant day in the country’s social history, it has no bearing on the why, how and when of modern history.

On this basis we might just as well hold Australia Day on the day when the Commonwealth Franchise Act of 1902 was passed, allowing women to vote in the 1903 Federal election; at least this celebrates a day that 50 per cent of the population can identify with.

... sure, why not? Nobody advocates changing the date of Australia Day to something that absolutely must commemorate Aboriginal history, just that it shouldn't be specifically chosen to be the most offensive day to Aborigines possible.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
ewwwww

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I read the Bill Leak cartoon more like "the acknowledgement to country is meaningless window dressing if you are simultaneously involved in imperialist repression"

Of course, because it's Leak what his conclusion is, is that we should get rid of the window dressing and continue imperialist repression.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

A quick glance at what is available in terms of memorable days in Aboriginal history that are officially recognised by all reveals:

three days, oh the humanity

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Peter Moron explained:

quote:

Yay, Happy good to be whatever we are day! But oh no those aboriginals are complaining again. Pay no attention to them, hahaha, they're indigenous. They want to change the day again. Booooring. Something about "boohoo our genoicide", pfft. Same old thing, but Imma fix it!

There's more of us than there is of them. AND WE ALL AGREE BECAUSE I AM PSYCHIC. Therefore we're right! Therefore aborigines = wrong. So maybe we don't like what was done, and maybe we admit we are affected by what was done. But it's totally not what they said, its just an event guys.

It's a fact, so you're supposed to just agree, right. Another date would be stupid. Look at this dumb date they want, some day in the 1960's when they got the vote! That date is rubbish, because aborigines are not modern history. Hahaha speaking of people we ignore, why not celebrate giving women the vote, that's 50% right hahaha.

Let's see what other dumb dates they like:

* Some UN holiday.
* That irrelevant Mabo thing, they even wanted a public holiday for it!
* Some July thing that indigenous people do.

So there, totally irrelevant to the 97% who totally all agree because maths. Hahaha you'll like this, what if, right, what if THE QUEEN APOLOGIZED FOR EVERYTHING! Hahaha!

* Like DEMOCRACY hahaha
* Or LAWS hahaha
* or or or, being so totally useless we had to get the Yanks to save us because otherwise WE'D BE JAPANESE!!!

See, don't you feel better and totally 97% right? Of course you do, because you're not indigenous! IT'S JUST A FACT.

WHY DON'T YOU INDIGENOUS PEOPLE JUST GET OVER IT.

I felt the need to spell it out because morons like this don't actually admit to the meaning behind their arguments. And what arguments they have!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

BBJoey posted:

three days, oh the humanity

None of which are even public holidays.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

He really encapsulates the spirit of Australia day. An Aborigine free Australia for the white man.

My facebook feed is exploding with people coming out for and against the idea of Invasion day and so many people complaining about how people should get over something that happened 'hundreds' of years ago.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Peter Moron explained:

I felt the need to spell it out because morons like this don't actually admit to the meaning behind their arguments. And what arguments they have!

I like his logic of "3% of people self identify as indigenous, therefore literally everyone else is white australian."

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Isn't 70% migrants or who's parents migrated?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

There about 2k people here at the Brisbane invasion day rally

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

starkebn posted:

Isn't 70% migrants or who's parents migrated?

2012 census had it at ~25% born overseas and ~44% with at least 1 parent born overseas.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mr Chips posted:

2012 census had it at ~25% born overseas and ~44% with at least 1 parent born overseas.
Pfft census! Like that's accurate :jerkbag:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Anidav posted:

It felt like 1 / 10 police presence

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
STRAYA DAY

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Turn up to a rally with a flag that has the union jack replaced by a small stars and stripes. See if anyone notices.

PC Brigadier
Oct 2, 2013

starkebn posted:

It felt like 1 / 10 police presence

Yes they lined the street all the way through the city, it was bizzare (but not unexpected)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

Anime Dave I am sure I saw you

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also that was an amazing turn out in Brisbane, I am extremely happy but disappointed that we have to rally at all (Australia is poo poo)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Recoome posted:

Anime Dave I am sure I saw you

I'm sure I saw you Recoome with your little red shorts on, pretty sure you've posted a photo of yourself before and you might have been wearing the same stuff

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

starkebn posted:

I'm sure I saw you Recoome with your little red shorts on, pretty sure you've posted a photo of yourself before and you might have been wearing the same stuff

Yeah that was me! I'm not sure if I was wearing the same outfit exactly, it just ended up being whatever I had (I'm not easy to miss)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone has vandalized my avatar and removed Rob Morrow :(

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I preferred it when our avatars were subtley different

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
who is EM and why was he demodded?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I have no idea

whoeever bought the avs are pretty into forums drama it appears

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

presumably exmarx, the mod who tried desperately to prevent the hillary toxxes from going through until lowtax had to come in and enforce them personally

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice triple flag.

SALUTE!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nazi Punch #2

https://twitter.com/babycommie666/status/824470856004833280

Rough animation 100ms. Beatbox your favourite technobeat:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
This is the first time I've made someone mad enough to spend :10bux: on me :allears:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
New avatar plz

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Nazi Punch #2

Rough animation 100ms. Beatbox your favourite technobeat:

Lmao good poo poo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Barnaby is wanting those who want to change the date of Australia Day to go climb under a rock. Thanks Barnaby.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

You Am I posted:

Nice triple flag.

SALUTE!

Fucken SALUTe!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Give me the sick own av, I'm sick of Turnbull.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I dunno who saw me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You Am I posted:

Barnaby is wanting those who want to change the date of Australia Day to go climb under a rock. Thanks Barnaby.

But not before he has the Department of Rocks moved to his electorate.

• Locked thread