Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Should I invest points in my hero in boomerangs? Someone mentioned they weren't good late game and I made an assumption based on jrpg stereotypes that the hero would end up with the best swords.

52 points in rangs gets you Super Throw, one of the best attack-all skills in the game. Unlike thin air, you don't run into resistance issues with it either.

Swords aren't really useful until the post-game, imo. Boomerang is the hero's best random encounter weapon and spear is his best boss weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Aw, [minor post game spoilers] Dragon Soul isn't in this version of the game. :( I didn't expect to be honestly, but it made post game bossing so much easier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just met Angelo last night and welp this game definitely has the best cast of any DQ game since 4/5

You can just tell that they had a loving blast making the game, everything about it is just fun, in stark contrast to how so much of 7 felt like it existed only on sufferance.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
What's the deal with Psyching up?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fetus posted:

Pretty much the standard double damage next hit for one use.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dr. Fetus posted:

In terms of mechanics, you mean?

5 tension, an ability will do 1.7x as much.
At 20 tension, 3x as much.
At 50, 5x,
At 100, 7.5x as much.

And at any level of tension, you ignore resistances.

Anything that does fixed levels of damage/healing/whatever (Fullheal, for example) won't take tension from you.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Supremezero posted:

In terms of mechanics, you mean?

5 tension, an ability will do 1.7x as much.
At 20 tension, 3x as much.
At 50, 5x,
At 100, 7.5x as much.

And at any level of tension, you ignore resistances.

Anything that does fixed levels of damage/healing/whatever (Fullheal, for example) won't take tension from you.

Ah, thanks. Yeah, that's what I meant.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also some status effect will kill your tension so don't get gimped by a sleep spell right before you get off your 100 tension hit

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Pretty much every boss past midgame will spam a move that resets all your buffs, including tension, too, so. Use it or lose it

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Metallia posted:

Aw, [minor post game spoilers] Dragon Soul isn't in this version of the game. :( I didn't expect to be honestly, but it made post game bossing so much easier.

It is, you just get it later.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Should I invest points in my hero in boomerangs? Someone mentioned they weren't good late game and I made an assumption based on jrpg stereotypes that the hero would end up with the best swords.

Boomerangs are the best weapon for mobs by far. Slap points into Boomerangs and Spears for the hero and you're pretty much set. If you want to use swords then just have Angelo do it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You at least want to get Power Throw cause that removes the whole "diminishing returns" thing with boomerangs

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So in the 3DS version does Tension 100 still have the dumb random fail chance or does it always work like the prior stages?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ComposerGuy posted:

Boomerangs are the best weapon for mobs by far. Slap points into Boomerangs and Spears for the hero and you're pretty much set. If you want to use swords then just have Angelo do it.

Well I put 9 points in swords already so hopefully that doesn't change much. I did notice the boomerang in the first shop had a higher attack than the sword.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Well I put 9 points in swords already so hopefully that doesn't change much. I did notice the boomerang in the first shop had a higher attack than the sword.

That's more because it's higher tier. Swords start outstripping Boomerangs in pure power pretty much immediately.

And Swords are perfectly fine/better comparable to spears. They just take longer to get going. Lances are better at metal slimes early on, but then you get the falcon blade, metal slash, and targetted tension boosts, and can oneshot Metal King Slimes almost 100% of the time, compared to Lances 50%. Lances are even for single targets for a while, but then Falcon Slash with the Falcon Blade happens and all bets are off.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 25, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yo supremezero are you aware of a good list of all the new recipes for this version? I'm about to have a full party with the 6th character and wants to start decking my dudes out properly(and setting up future good recipes).

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

Yo supremezero are you aware of a good list of all the new recipes for this version? I'm about to have a full party with the 6th character and wants to start decking my dudes out properly(and setting up future good recipes).

That's comprehensible? Nope.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Evil Fluffy posted:

So in the 3DS version does Tension 100 still have the dumb random fail chance or does it always work like the prior stages?

It still has the dumb random fail chance, but Morrie specializes in raising tension, both for himself and others.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
It took me 15 tries but beating S rank in the Monster Arena as soon as it's unlocked is very worth it. I tried Talos/Curer/Sterops then tried Skeledoid instead of Talos, got it on my 3rd try. Morrie's liquid metal slime going down turn 1 was very important.

I kind of want to try hammers for Morrie but IIRC making the best hammer requires the best axe, which conflicts with Yangus. Does the 3DS version make it possible to have both the best axe and best hammer along with the best spear and best boomerang?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lord Ephraim posted:

It took me 15 tries but beating S rank in the Monster Arena as soon as it's unlocked is very worth it. I tried Talos/Curer/Sterops then tried Skeledoid instead of Talos, got it on my 3rd try. Morrie's liquid metal slime going down turn 1 was very important.

I kind of want to try hammers for Morrie but IIRC making the best hammer requires the best axe, which conflicts with Yangus. Does the 3DS version make it possible to have both the best axe and best hammer along with the best spear and best boomerang?

Yes.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I get that it's not this series' "thing" but honestly QoL improvements in item/equip management, respec potential, etc would really be nice.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lord Ephraim posted:

I used Talos Skeledoid and Octurion. took me two tries.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't understand why they couldn't make it so you could transfer/equip items to a character who wasn't carrying that item you wanted to equip. Like, why do I gotta move things from the bag into the character's inventory and then equip it why couldn't the equipable items be set in a "pool" and then automatically transferred to that character if you equipped it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I don't understand why they couldn't make it so you could transfer/equip items to a character who wasn't carrying that item you wanted to equip. Like, why do I gotta move things from the bag into the character's inventory and then equip it why couldn't the equipable items be set in a "pool" and then automatically transferred to that character if you equipped it.

Doesn't it ask you if you want to equip an item when you move it to the inventory of a character that can use it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Vakal posted:

Doesn't it ask you if you want to equip an item when you move it to the inventory of a character that can use it?

Yes but my first instinct when getting new equipment is to go to the Equip menu (which also has a super dumb design) only to have to go back to the item menu, bag, select the item, move it to the character I want it on and then select yes I want to equip that thing now.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
3DS DQ Translation project 80+ percent complete

which game is it? Stay tuned to find out

In the mean time, watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd0D6Y0uFIc

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh no, a giant alaskan bull worm

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Lord Ephraim posted:

I used Talos/Octurion/Steropes and won in two or three tries. Octurion is the best healer hands down but you just gotta pray he isn't retarded for your run.

You can get a second Conquerer's Axe before the final boss, in a new bonus dungeon.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, when I first heard Kalderasha's voice in DQ8 3DS, I knew that I was on a magical journey of silly accents.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wait, so I should do boomerangs for the MC? I've put 15 into swords.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Unmature posted:

That's where I am too is it actually going to be a problem?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No swords are fine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That good. I have about 13 in Swords until the game started selling lances, which I switched over to them and now up to 37 in them.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I put swords on every character that I could and I'm coasting through the game pretty easily, even took care of the hardest boss on my first try

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Swords are all-around good but don't really excel at anything until the endgame.
Lances are great at boss killing.
Boomerangs are great at AoE attacks.

None are really bad. Boomerangs make the main plot easier but the postgame harder, otherwise whatevs.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Unmature posted:

not really? You can do both if you want though. Power Throw is pretty good against trash mobs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's impossible to allocate skill points in such a way that the main game becomes troublesome, but there are some optional skills that are significantly more useful against the post-game superbosses.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So what are the skills to avoid in general?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

They all pull their weight pretty well. The main thing is that it's better to invest heavily in two skill trees than lightly in all five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Off the top of my head, the 100 point skills are garbage universally except for Hustle Dance, aka the entire reason to bother with Sex Appeal.