Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

The Midniter posted:

Basically, I love my pressure cooker and want to marry it and think everyone should too.

Polygamy is illegal, and I don't want to marry your gross used pressure cooker anyway. I ordered a shiny new one made in Asia off the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

While I'm here talking about food prep, how do you store your freezer stuff? My pork shoulder made about 3 big(going for high protein) servings after I ate a bit, so I put each serving in it's own small ziploc with the air squeezed out, then those 3 in another big ziploc, then put it in a plastic walmart bag.

1. Scoop / pour / fork-and-toss FOOD into whatever container is closest.
2. Close container with lid or by zipping the ziplock
3. Drop into freezer.

The exception is when freezing something that's a whole bunch of little things you don't want to freeze together into a big lump (e.g. chopped fruit / veg, meatballs, sliced bacon, little pastry things). Put those things on a cookie sheet and put the sheet in the freezer; pull it out after 12 hours or a day or when you remember you did that thing last week and move them into a bag or other container.

Multiple-bagging helps keep things somewhat organized in the freezer, and a label (What is it and how long ago did I make it?) is generally a good idea that gets left behind with the empty wine bottle.

Overfilled containers - like, you close the lid and stuff squirts out - will burst open (*probably* by opening the lid or popping the zip, but not always) in the freezer because ice is bigger than water. That's about the only risk of treating this as casually as you can, or something breaking when you literally drop it into the bottom of a big chest freezer. Freezing stuff isn't complicated.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

e: also if anyone is curious another goofy thing I did was pour the liquid from a can of chicken noodle soup in there at the start because I didn't have chicken broth.
I don't have any problem with this. In fact, I'm gonna steal this idea.

Trastion posted:

Anyone have any experience with Air Fryers? My wife wants one because a friend got one and loves it. I think its another "kitchen gadget" that will not be used in 2 months but the wife wants it so...

Anyways I would prefer to get a good one but also not spend a ton of money on it. Anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive ones that are still good?
This got left behind. I don't know squat about Air Fryers. Somebody feel like pontificating?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If you want to get all Alton brown anal, putting a whole bunch of hot stuff into your freezer is bad and you should put your hot stuff into a cooler with ice first then into the freezer

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

defectivemonkey posted:

I would subscribe to your YouTube cooking show.

I dunno, is he a tiny toughie cute lesbian with an undercut?

You're learning and have a good aditude. Now learn how to make slow cooker rotisserie chicken stock and never run out again. (The recipe is: rotisserie chicken carcass, celery, carrot, bay leaf, water, simmer). You can keep it in the freezer.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Update, my chicken rice was pretty good. No lie, it literally tastes like my grandma's chicken and dumplins. The rice swole up real bad into mush along with the smaller pieces of chicken. It tasted so close I kept catching myself digging around looking for big dumplings.

Also I might try out that Guinness thing for beef stew.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ron Jeremy posted:

If you want to get all Alton brown anal, putting a whole bunch of hot stuff into your freezer is bad and you should put your hot stuff into a cooler with ice first then into the freezer
Why?

I've heard several explanations for this, none of them particularly convincing or general. I've heard that it's bad for condensation to form on the inside of the lid because this provides some nice moisture for bacteria to grow in; this one shows up in directives to let hot food cool on the counter to about room temperature before putting it in the fridge or freezer, or cooling it in the fridge for an hour or two without a lid to allow water to evaporate. Another one stems from obsolete technology - it's not an ice box, it's a freezer, despite what your aunt calls it. Putting something hot into an ice box - an actual insulated box containing blocks of ice - will melt lots of ice needlessly and you'll have to buy more ice (so save your nickles!). An actual freezer will just need to use more electricity to run the compressor and pull that heat out, but no damage will occur.

Is there a good food-safety reason to cool hot food in a secondary ice-filled container before placing it in a freezer? A nice ice-water mixture would be a quicker way to bring the temperature down, but do hot food items placed into a freezer spend a dangerous amount of time at bacteria-friendly temperatures?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Assuming you're talking about something like soup going directly into the fridge, you have to make sure it's in a container of some sort that will allow it to cool fast enough to not be in the danger zone too long.

Generally you'd want to do an ice bath to cool it before putting in the fridge or freezer.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Why?

I've heard several explanations for this, none of them particularly convincing or general. I've heard that it's bad for condensation to form on the inside of the lid because this provides some nice moisture for bacteria to grow in; this one shows up in directives to let hot food cool on the counter to about room temperature before putting it in the fridge or freezer, or cooling it in the fridge for an hour or two without a lid to allow water to evaporate. Another one stems from obsolete technology - it's not an ice box, it's a freezer, despite what your aunt calls it. Putting something hot into an ice box - an actual insulated box containing blocks of ice - will melt lots of ice needlessly and you'll have to buy more ice (so save your nickles!). An actual freezer will just need to use more electricity to run the compressor and pull that heat out, but no damage will occur.

Is there a good food-safety reason to cool hot food in a secondary ice-filled container before placing it in a freezer? A nice ice-water mixture would be a quicker way to bring the temperature down, but do hot food items placed into a freezer spend a dangerous amount of time at bacteria-friendly temperatures?
While the food will not be destroyed, stock/ice cubes will loose volume and freezer burn will be more likely for poorly sealed items.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The only food safety danger I've encountered was when putting a whole gallon of freshly made chicken stock into a freezer (in eight quart freezer bags). It was enough hot mass to really defrost some of the stuff I had in there. Obviously that's an edge case; I just ran out of time to let the stock cool sufficiently before I had to toss it in.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Why?

For the object itself you want to get it through the danger zone as quickly as possible. Freezers freeze with cold air which isn't the best conduction medium. It's probably cooling more by convection by heating the air in the freezer then that being fanned away. If it's hot hot, you're more likely to heat up the stuff next to it into the danger zone then the whole mass will slowly cool down and eventually freeze.

It's not the absolute end of the world which is why I said Alton Brown anal. AB is still right and the better way to cool and freeze hot things is an ice bath then into the freezer.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I bought some oxtail, what should I do with it? I've never made or eaten it before.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PokeJoe posted:

I bought some oxtail, what should I do with it? I've never made or eaten it before.

Soup or stew, use it similar to beef. You need to cook it for a long, long time since it's so tough. I would suggest looking up a recipe for Oxtail stew.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

Make this.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PokeJoe posted:

You can read up a little bit about oxtail and the particulars about what makes it have the properties it does. It's a dope part of the animal. I don't have access to my recipes at the moment, but all of these look really good and similar enough to what I've done. Just cook it low and slow with whatever poo poo you like. As an added tastiness, chop up bacon and cook it with the onions in whatever recipe you're using.
I'd suggest going with the first two links for your first time.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/hungarian-goulash-beef-paprika-stew-recipe-food-lab.html
https://travelling-foodies.com/2014/09/02/hungarian-goulash/

http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/03/chinese-braised-oxtails/

http://www.africanbites.com/jamaican-oxtail-stew-2/

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/braised-oxtail-gruyere-sandwich-recipe.html

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

PokeJoe posted:

I've made this recipe once before. It calls for a lot of liquid initially, and I wonder whether the beef broth is all that really necessary, but it the end, it came out well.

Lessons leaned: start this recipe in the morning so that you have as long as possible to simmer and break down the seared oxtail and extract as much as you can from it into the broth. You're going to have to refrigerate that much liquid over night to skim the fat off the next day (and there will be a lot of fat). Another minor thing, don't chop the potatoes until you're ready to add them to the soup. I learned that they oxidize and turn brown while making this recipe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm trying to make Chaliapin steak, and I need to grate an onion for its juice. I've got a hand grater and I'm maybe a quarter of the way through an onion and I can't help but think there's a better way to juice an onion. What do people do if they need their onions all squished up and watery? Should I just get a food processor instead?

Holy crap, pressure cookers can cook oxtail in less than an hour? :pwn: How the hell does that work? I need me one of those.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

I'm trying to make Chaliapin steak, and I need to grate an onion for its juice. I've got a hand grater and I'm maybe a quarter of the way through an onion and I can't help but think there's a better way to juice an onion. What do people do if they need their onions all squished up and watery? Should I just get a food processor instead?

Holy crap, pressure cookers can cook oxtail in less than an hour? :pwn: How the hell does that work? I need me one of those.

I turned a few onions into itty-bitty pieces a few years ago to dehydrate them - it was faster than chopping. I have a little 2-cup Black and Decker mini food processor, it has three speeds (fast and faster, or both at the same time for fastest) that can take a medium-sized onion if you chop it in half first. It was a gift more than a few years ago, but a quick look around online makes me think you could get something similar for less than $30. It's not elegant, but if your goal is make a chunky liquid out of a solid, it gets the job done.

And yeah, get a pressure cooker. I need to pick up some oxtail, clearly, and re-introduce myself to my pressure cooker. Those recipes look great!

\/\/\/ I'm going to make this recipe the next time I have pork tenderloin.

Also, browse here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/main-ingredient/pork-recipes/pork-tenderloin-recipes

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 24, 2017

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

There was a real good deal on pork tenderloin and I'm only halfway through the haul and I'm getting a bit tired of it. I've had it roasted simply with salt and pepper (the boyfriend is a simple cook and it was his turn the last couple of days) and stir fried with some Korean sauce.

What else can I do that isn't to elaborate? Has to be low lactose. I've been treating it a lot like chicken when it's been on sale before, but I'm not sure if there any pork dick secrets.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

For grating onion finely like that I like Japanese style graters, like this.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd think a microplane would do a good enough job and be more versatile if you're only doing it a couple times.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jyrraeth posted:

There was a real good deal on pork tenderloin and I'm only halfway through the haul and I'm getting a bit tired of it. I've had it roasted simply with salt and pepper (the boyfriend is a simple cook and it was his turn the last couple of days) and stir fried with some Korean sauce.

What else can I do that isn't to elaborate? Has to be low lactose. I've been treating it a lot like chicken when it's been on sale before, but I'm not sure if there any pork dick secrets.

Holy poo poo There's EVERYTHING to do with pork.

First off, make this:
http://spicygoulash.com/recipe-items/porkolt-pork-stew/

You can also make pork scallopini with whatever sauce - creamy lemon, pesto - with noodles or spaghetti squash.
Hell, you can actually bread the scallopini and make pork Chicken Tendies, a splash of lemon on top of the panko-crusted pork.
Tenderloin with date relish is fuckin' fantastic. http://www.thesweetslife.com/2013/12/pork-tenderloin-with-date-and-cilantro.html

Or you can just rub it with curry+tumeric, sear it, and then bake it for a while and it's fabbo.

Tenderloin is an amazing cut. There's billions of things to do with it. Whatever you do, pull it out when it hits 135F and let it come up to temp while resting. The worst is when you overcook pork.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 25, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yep the biggest problem with pork is how caterers, cafeterias and restaurants overcook it. They're still bringing it to 160> which is insane. Pork is so cheap in the USA that it's my favorite protein to cook with.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
tbf they'd probably be shut down in a month if they didn't. Remember when New York banned salt?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, the USDA changed its pork cooking temperature guideline to 145°F a few years ago, provided it's held there for 3 minutes

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

Hawaiian oxtail soup is good too. Name says Hawaii, flavor is Asian

https://thedomesticman.com/2016/02/09/hawaiian-oxtail-soup/

Oxtail is a great addition to chili as well. Pressure cook the tails and shred the meat. Use the stock in the chili.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

hogmartin posted:

tbf they'd probably be shut down in a month if they didn't. Remember when New York banned salt?

beaten but no, the temperature was lowered to 145 many many years ago. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...-table/CT_Index

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Drifter posted:

Holy poo poo There's EVERYTHING to do with pork.

First off, make this:
http://spicygoulash.com/recipe-items/porkolt-pork-stew/

You can also make pork scallopini with whatever sauce - creamy lemon, pesto - with noodles or spaghetti squash.
Hell, you can actually bread the scallopini and make pork Chicken Tendies, a splash of lemon on top of the panko-crusted pork.
Tenderloin with date relish is fuckin' fantastic. http://www.thesweetslife.com/2013/12/pork-tenderloin-with-date-and-cilantro.html

Or you can just rub it with curry+tumeric, sear it, and then bake it for a while and it's fabbo.

Tenderloin is an amazing cut. There's billions of things to do with it. Whatever you do, pull it out when it hits 135F and let it come up to temp while resting. The worst is when you overcook pork.

Thanks!
Would that goulash work with pork tenderloin at all? I thought you'd need shoulder for that type of stuff. I do have 4 loins left, so I'm not too worried I just don't want dry chunks of meat when I could wait for a sale on shoulder.

I'll give that date relish a try, looks real good. Would another citrus juice work? I'm allergic to oranges (and pineapple).

Ranter posted:

Yep the biggest problem with pork is how caterers, cafeterias and restaurants overcook it. They're still bringing it to 160> which is insane. Pork is so cheap in the USA that it's my favorite protein to cook with.

I'm in Canada, but it's often the cheapest meat (I used to live in Alberta where beef was somewhat cheaper). I just don't do pork chops because I had a bad time with overcooked chops + braces. :(:

I looove pork shoulder, though. I always pick that up when its on sale. I cubed up a couple pounds of it once, and just fried it with a bit of soy sauce and served with angry lady sauce and it was one of the best meals I had in a long time.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a recommended place to buy spices online for lower than grocery store prices?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven't done nearly enough with pork. I've always preferred beef and chicken, always thought pork was dry and rubbery though that's mostly because of how my mom cooked it. :gonk:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

For grating onion finely like that I like Japanese style graters, like this.

I've thought about getting one of those graters, but I don't see myself using it often enough to go out of my way and order it over Amazon. I'm pretty bad with impulse buys, so I'm trying to avoid collecting too much cooking stuff.

ExecuDork posted:

I turned a few onions into itty-bitty pieces a few years ago to dehydrate them - it was faster than chopping. I have a little 2-cup Black and Decker mini food processor, it has three speeds (fast and faster, or both at the same time for fastest) that can take a medium-sized onion if you chop it in half first. It was a gift more than a few years ago, but a quick look around online makes me think you could get something similar for less than $30. It's not elegant, but if your goal is make a chunky liquid out of a solid, it gets the job done.

I've been thinking of picking up a mini processor for other reasons, so that might be a good choice. I'll check it out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

terre packet posted:

Is there a recommended place to buy spices online for lower than grocery store prices?

For most things, use Penzeys. They cost the same as grocery spices but will be much higher in quality:
https://www.penzeys.com/

Vanilla beans at the grocery are the biggest scam. $8 for two beans? Check out Vanilla Products USA on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vanilla+products+usa

Also if you have a Sprouts grocery nearby, you can buy pretty good bulk spice refills for cheap

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jyrraeth posted:

Thanks!
Would that goulash work with pork tenderloin at all? I thought you'd need shoulder for that type of stuff. I do have 4 loins left, so I'm not too worried I just don't want dry chunks of meat when I could wait for a sale on shoulder.

I'll give that date relish a try, looks real good. Would another citrus juice work? I'm allergic to oranges (and pineapple).

I'm so sorry, I should have mentioned.
Do one of two things:
1) saute the pork separately until brown (but not fully cooked through) and then drop in the porkolt with about15 minutes of cooking left for the whole thing. Keep the cooking temp low.
If you do this add some extra fats (bacon) or butter to where the recipe asks you to put in the meat originally.
2) that's probably it, actually. Pretend like you're cooking with chicken breast, so just be super careful with temperature.

The tenderloin will cook pretty quickly in the heat of the rest of the stew, especially when it's tiny little chunks.

Maybe try Meyer Lemons, instead, or something like applecider vinegar + honey, or grapefruit juice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jyrraeth posted:

Pork dick? Lol

Anyway not sure if this qualifies as too much lactose but this is my favorite way to make tenderloin

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11897-twice-cooked-pork-tenderloin

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Drifter posted:

I'm so sorry, I should have mentioned.
Do one of two things:
1) saute the pork separately until brown (but not fully cooked through) and then drop in the porkolt with about15 minutes of cooking left for the whole thing. Keep the cooking temp low.
If you do this add some extra fats (bacon) or butter to where the recipe asks you to put in the meat originally.
2) that's probably it, actually. Pretend like you're cooking with chicken breast, so just be super careful with temperature.

The tenderloin will cook pretty quickly in the heat of the rest of the stew, especially when it's tiny little chunks.

Maybe try Meyer Lemons, instead, or something like applecider vinegar + honey, or grapefruit juice.

That's great, thanks. I haven't cooked with chicken breast in like... a year an a half? Unless it was on a whole chicken so I keep forgetting how to use it.
I got some nice local honey so I'll probably go that route, it's lovely and tangy.

BraveUlysses posted:

Pork dick? Lol

Anyway not sure if this qualifies as too much lactose but this is my favorite way to make tenderloin

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11897-twice-cooked-pork-tenderloin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aed-vM8b1Bc
enjoy this terrible gag

I prepare it with a cream/mustard sauce like that sometimes. Its kind of at the border (boyfriend's lactose intolerance is on the mild side). Will try that method of cooking, though!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Does anyone have experience preparing silver carp? I got some today and I am told it's flaky and delicate so I think I want to either blacken it or batter and fry it. I'd like to successfully cook it without it breaking apart in the pan; I read some stuff about blackening and I dont think I want to fill my house with smoke either

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Haverchuck posted:

Does anyone have experience preparing silver carp? I got some today and I am told it's flaky and delicate so I think I want to either blacken it or batter and fry it. I'd like to successfully cook it without it breaking apart in the pan; I read some stuff about blackening and I dont think I want to fill my house with smoke either

Was it fillets or bone in? The thing about carp is that it can be bony. However, I have seen and eaten it quickly deep fried. But you gotta be careful, it's not something that can be cooked long without destroying it.

Are these the silver carp that infest the midwest? Because yes, gently caress that eat them every god drat way. If we could can or retort that poo poo US freshwater fisheries and domestic canneries would be saved.

My instinct would be to coat it in corn starch and Old Bay or similar spice, and fry off quick in a hot shallowed but well greased pan until you get a good brown on all sides. Do a mess of them, then deglaze the pan with a splash of some kind of stock, salt and pepper to taste, a splash of cream, and simmer to thicken (there should be enough corn starch on the pan to glue it up). Pour pan sauce over fillets. Eat alone or on a roll with lettuce and tomato and tartar sauce for a poboy.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 26, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got a couple Salisbury steaks in my fridge that I wanna cook for dinner tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to do for the sauce. I've got mushrooms and onions and the plan is to brown those, but how does the sauce go? I've got some gravy mix and that might be enough, but I've been told that I need onion soup mix and ketchup and stuff, too. Will the gravy mix be enough?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Brown gravy is just roux with beef stock and salt & pepper.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Uh I believe you will find that brown gravy consists of Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Wheat Starch, Salt, Beef Fat, Hydrolyzed Soy, Wheat, And Corn Protein, Onion, Caramel Color, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate (Milk), Spices (Including White Pepper), Garlic, Natural Flavor, Disodium Inosinate And Guanylate (Flavor Enhancers), Extractives Of Paprika, And Yeast Extract.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

No lie, this stuff mixed with like 2tbsp of black pepper is the perfect mashed potato condiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Totally Reasonable posted:

No lie, this stuff mixed with like 2tbsp of black pepper is the perfect mashed potato condiment.

Then add some pork sausages and peas and you have yourself the good old English dinner of Bangers and Mash. Accompany with a cup of builders tea for the authentic experience. Maybe a slice of buttered white bread too.