Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

User0015 posted:

I need some recommendations. Let me break down likes, dislikes and recently enjoyed.

Things I've enjoyed in the past or present:
  • One punch man
  • JoJo
  • Log Horizon
  • Grimgar
  • SAO/Accel World (mediocre)
  • KonoSuba
  • Soul Eater
  • Fairy Tail (mediocre but fast paced)
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Psychopass

Things I love:
  • Shows that don't take themselves to seriously.
  • Shows about adventure or new worlds
  • Shows that are ridiculous or absurd

poo poo I hate:
  • Slice of life anime. Bonus points if they're all high school kids.
  • Anime about sports (fantasy sports don't count, maybe, assuming that even exists)
  • Gratuitous Gore/Bloody/Super violent. Read: Elfen Lied levels of gratuitous. Psychopass/Berserk are fine.

Please help me pick some fun, good, nice things to watch!

How the hell have you not seen Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt yet? Go watch the english dub too, because it makes a great show even more filthy and depraved :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Your list is short on SciFi, so let's try some of that:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is hilarious and absurd all the time, but also manages to sneak in some really poignant bits. The TV series has one of my favorite finales in all of anime, just be warned that the follow-up OVAs end on a really unpleasant unresolved cliffhanger.

Crest/Battle of the Stars is a rather slowly paced, but excellent series that is just as interested in exploring its alien society as in its grand space battles and a really sweet main couple. If you liked Spice and Wolf's pacing, there's a decent chance that this will work for you as well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

User0015 posted:

I need some recommendations. Let me break down likes, dislikes and recently enjoyed.

• One punch man
  • JoJo
  • Log Horizon
  • Grimgar
  • KonoSuba
  • Soul Eater
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Psychopass

Things I love:

poo poo I hate:
  • Anime about sports (fantasy sports don't count, maybe, assuming that even exists)
  • Gratuitous Gore/Bloody/Super violent. Read: Elfen Lied levels of gratuitous. Psychopass/Berserk are fine.

Hitsugi no Chaika came immediately to mind, and sounds right up your alley. It's fun fantasy adventure with good action scenes that doesn't take itself seriously.

You might like Full Metal Panic. It's high schoolers, but not at all SoL. Fun robot action and good comedy intermixed for the first season, just comedy for the second, and just action for the third (which is by kyoani!).

If you like absurd action, it's hard to go wrong with the better Gainax stuff like Gunbuster/Diebuster, FLCL, and Gurren Lagann. Along with P&SwG mentioned above, for pure comedy.

Katanagatari is great action with fun dialogue, and even when poo poo goes down towards the end, it never quite takes itself seriously.

Bodacious Space Pirates is great fun: space piracy has has been reduced to a tourist attraction, and one of the great old pirate ships has a new captain. Although it's adapted from LNs titled "Miniskirt Space Pirates" it's not nearly as salacious as that sounds - or at all, actually. It's just a fun space adventure with a female cast. It scratches a similar itch to Outlaw Star, if you ever saw that back in the day. If not, well check it out, it's also a fun space adventure.

This past season's Flip Flappers is great, and most episodes have the main characters exploring a new dream world. Great animation, great story, great story; can't recommend it enough. It tied for 3rd in our 2016 AotY thread.

I could go on, but that's probably enough.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh, if you've somehow managed to not see Fullmetal Alchemist, that'd be a good one. Brotherhood, not the old one.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have you tried mob psycho 100?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lupin the 3rd. Doesn't much matter which series.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

You'd probably really like Re:Zero, though I'll also second/third watching the really good Gainax shows.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Heartily seconding Flip Flappers!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Lupin the 3rd. Doesn't much matter which series.

The first is a good time capsule. It also has some pretty amazing animation for the time with things moving from the background to foreground while there's complex character movement going on.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The first is a good time capsule. It also has some pretty amazing animation for the time with things moving from the background to foreground while there's complex character movement going on.

Yeah, and both the first and second seasons contain episodes directed by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, so keep an eye out for that.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

User0015 posted:

• One punch man
  • JoJo
  • Log Horizon
  • Grimgar
  • KonoSuba
  • Soul Eater
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Psychopass

Things I love:

poo poo I hate:

The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm 8 episodes into Flip Flappers and I can't help but feel it's a repeat of my Kyousogiga experience. It's interesting enough as it is in terms of style and a handful of character bits but by large it's kind of falling flat. It's a show that I will almost certainly forget immediately upon finishing, not really liking or disliking it all that much. For how much buzz it got in the Top 2016 thread I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. At least the ED is one of the best I've ever seen.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

User0015 posted:

Things I love:

Watch Kyousougiga!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I know I've said it before, but watch Slayers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm 8 episodes into Flip Flappers and I can't help but feel it's a repeat of my Kyousogiga experience. It's interesting enough as it is in terms of style and a handful of character bits but by large it's kind of falling flat. It's a show that I will almost certainly forget immediately upon finishing, not really liking or disliking it all that much. For how much buzz it got in the Top 2016 thread I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. At least the ED is one of the best I've ever seen.

Flip Flappers hasn't got a patch on Kyousogiga but that disappointment is how I felt about FF, yeah.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Mikl posted:

I know I've said it before, but watch Slayers.

Slayers was my gateway anime. Because I'm old as heck. Slayers and Record of Lodoss War.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Hitsugi no Chaika, Full Metal Panic, Gunbuster/Diebuster, FLCL, and Gurren Lagann, P&SwG, Katanagatari, Bodacious Space Pirates, [b]Flip Flappers[/b

These are all fantastic! I've seen Full Metal Panic and enjoyed it, along with FLCL. I completely forgot about P&SwG but I'll put that on the top of the list since it's short. I've never heard of Hitsugi no Chaika or Katanagatari so I'll have to check those out, along with Flip Flappers.

AnoHito posted:

You'd probably really like Re:Zero, though I'll also second/third watching the really good Gainax shows.

Forgot to mention that one.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

User0015 posted:

• One punch man
  • JoJo
  • Log Horizon
  • Grimgar
  • KonoSuba
  • Soul Eater
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Psychopass

Things I love:

poo poo I hate:

I'm sure you've already got more than enough to get on with in terms of recommendations, but I'd definitely recommend having a look at Hunter x Hunter to see if it's your kind of thing. The first arc is fun, but a little slow, and the final one, though excellent, has abysmal pacing at times and is often pretty serious. That aside, it's fantastic for the whole 'adventure and new worlds' angle you're looking for, and the whole magic/fighting system introduced in the second arc leads to a lot of absurd abilities and other fun stuff.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nate RFB posted:

I really enjoyed a few of the earlier episodes, but the writer who was responsible for those episodes left the show half way through, which is about the time the plot starts showing up and man is it a mess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The plot in the first half is incoherent as well. I did like the one where they relive the childhood of their painter classmate a lot though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
The early episodes don't really have plot. They're largely disconnected episodic fantasy adventures. I forgave it for that at the time because it was clear that it was an exercise in experimentation and genre-hopping. There is a plot though; It comes in at the end. It's just not very good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

disconnected fantasy adventures don't need forgiving

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You're both wrong because they're not disconnected, they're bound together by the same themes and personal journey that become more explicit in the latter half of the show. If that didn't land for you then it didn't land, but the early episodes of the show pretty clearly have common priorities with the later ones.`

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 26, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

You're both wrong because they're not disconnected, they're bound together by the same themes and personal journey that become more explicit in the latter half of the show.

i stand by my statement whether it applies to flip flappers or not

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

You're both wrong because they're not disconnected, they're bound together by the same themes and personal journey that become more explicit in the latter half of the show.

Themes are a part of story, I was talking about plot.

The story in flip flappers is fine. The plot could have used some work.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

hello i havent posted in this forum in like a year. can someone recommend me some good romance or romcoms. new or old. i would prefer manga but anime is fine too.

i love nana, paradise kiss, honey and clover, maison ikkoku, urusei yatsura, touch, kimagure orange road, kimi ni todoke
i like ranma, mysterious girlfriend x, chihayafuru, ore monogatari, kare kano
i dislike toradora, snafu, chunibyo, welcome to the nhk

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Have you read Bonnouji?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i have not but it looks to be exactly what i am looking for so thank you!!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's one of my favorite manga. I hope you enjoy it!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A good very shoujo romance is House of the Sun/Taiyou no Ie. I also really enjoy Fruits Basket for shoujo romcom. They both have a nice focus on family as well as romance.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe try Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Leans heavier on comedy and family dynamics than traditional romance, but it's drat good at those things, so...

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Taiyou no Ie.

Droyer posted:

Bonnouji

Seconding both of these, I'm still working through the first one, but they are both excellent at what they do.

Tamen De Gushi is also a wonderful manhua that should fit the bill.

Cowwan fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 1, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

The second season has some cool stuff but patterns itself after the first season in a way that was already done better, and that undermines the core premise. It has the same problem i have with brave new world, where they write in these holes in the system for what seems like narrative expedience for some reason instead of investigating the system itself. The movie is interesting and definitely a step up from s2 but it suffers from this as well

Got around to watching the Psycho-Pass movie and loving hell is it head and shoulders above the shittier parts of season 2. The holes in the system are there by Sybil's design, rather than something by mere accident. The whole point of the Shamballa District's IFF issues was to allow the military government to set it up as they please, thinking they're nice and safe... then flip the switch and purge the actual latent criminals. And what a purge it was :allears:. The Enforcers turning up was a bit of a dodge, given what they mentioned at the start of the movie, but it's all in the name of giving them more than ten minutes of screentime for an action scene so what the hell.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Still following up on the top 10 from the Best of 2016 thread, and kind of feel like voicing a few thoughts and better here than the white noise of the chat thread at least.

Flip Flappers: dropped 8 eps in. Great ED but overall it was too nonsensical and chaotic for my tastes. Mad Max and the painter girl's childhood eps were the best.

Space Patrol Luluco: I have no love of Trigger but this was fine. Not great, but fine. Helped that each ep was so short.

Osomatsu-san: Hysterical 90% of the time. Maybe a little too much toilet humor at times to put it on the level of Nichijou or Daily Lives of Highschool Boys but it's a great comedy. Karamatsu was the best.

Konsuba: Funny, but also not animated all that well (thanks DEEN) and a bit lewd. It's fine.

Yuri On Ice: Not finished yet but I can tell I'm going to love this. I thought it was going to be super dry but it's really energetic and fun. Time to make history~~

Mob Pyscho 100: I've burned out on ONE thanks to OPM and so far this hasn't changed my opinion all that much, but supposedly the later episodes are great so we'll see.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's funny you say that about Flip Flappers, because you dropped it at the last episode before the plot kicks off. If anything, most people seemed to like the "nonsensical and chaotic" episodes better, though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Flip Flappers was murdered by its own plot :(

Please donate to my fund, and we'll help save future animes from Too Much Plot.

Alternate joke: Flip Flappers had a plot so Flying Witch could have none.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

StandardVC10 posted:

If anything, most people seemed to like the "nonsensical and chaotic" episodes better, though.
That's exactly why I dropped it. Didn't seem like there was much to look forward to in the back half.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mikl posted:

I loved the poo poo out of GetBackers when it first came out in... 2002? poo poo, that was 15 years ago :stare:

Anyway, I don't remember much about it, except that the battles were cool and the homoeroticism levels quite high. Entertaining. Personally I'd say it's worth a try if you don't have to spend too much money on it (no idea what $10AU translates to for purchasing value).

E. oooooh, yeah. I'm reading the episode summaries on Wikipedia, it brings back memories. The comedy episodes were really funny, and there's some surprisingly deep* poo poo in there about reality and what it means to be alive (a place in the series is basically a giant Holodeck, and people living inside it have no way of determining whether they're real people or just simulations).

* disclaimer: "deep" as in "15-year-old me thought it was deep". I'd have to rewatch it now to see if I was right or not :downs:

Second edit: looking at the character list, one of the protagonists is voiced by Nobutoshi Canna, i.e. Lancer :laffo:

Third edit: Oh. It's a DEEN series.

I am loving the poo poo out of Get Backers. I was worried Ban was going to be serious and dull, then he and Ginji started fighting over a slice of discarded pizza :allears:. The animation's cheap as hell, but damned if it isn't fun.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the plot in flip flappers was good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

the plot in flip flappers was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I am loving the poo poo out of Get Backers. I was worried Ban was going to be serious and dull, then he and Ginji started fighting over a slice of discarded pizza :allears:. The animation's cheap as hell, but damned if it isn't fun.

:):hf::) Glad you're enjoying it!