Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Beliefs about the nature of reality and our place in it aren't just adornments. If you wouldn't teach your child what you believe, is that something you should be committed to, yourself?

Or put another way, if the ability to think critically about beliefs is a virtue, that virtue presupposes that you will encounter belief in some form sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Paladinus posted:

If both parents are religious, go to church every Sunday, have religious symbols in their house, pray together, etc., not teaching children faith would mean to exclude them from an enormous part of family life. And if parents do believe in God, teaching children in terms of agnosticism would be dishonest at best, in my opinion. Alternatively, if parents are not particularly religious, or only culturally so, religion can be a good free baby-sitter. :v:

Yeah, I mean, if you're Irish Catholic, your whole family is Irish Catholic, you were raised Irish Catholic, you're still active in the Church...why not raise your children in the Church as well? I mean there are important parts of being raised Catholic like Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation etc. that are normatively meant to be done when you're a kid; it's all part of the experience of being raised in that faith tradition. Then of course they'll flee right after Confirmation and not come back until they have kids of their own, where the cycle repeats again!

There's also the fact that the more conservative Christians -- the kind that *would* actually try to forcefully impose their particular denomination of Christianity onto their children -- are likely very concerned about their children being saved and not winding up in hell, so there's always that to consider.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Phlegmatist posted:

hen of course they'll flee right after Confirmation and not come back until they have kids of their own, where the cycle repeats again!

Or, if Irish Catholic, they don't and start to actively resent the church in new and interesting ways.

Seriously, after the whole "stolen children working as washerwomen" and the child sex scare thing it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people in Ireland don't have the best impression of Catholicism at this point in time.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
american irish not real irish

hashtag shots fired

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Senju Kannon posted:

american irish not real irish

hashtag shots fired

Oh, sorry! I just realised I probably interpreted the preceding post wrong and was talking about Irish Catholics in America not Ireland itself.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

So, what's your favourite part of Mass/Divine Liturgy/Abendmahl/blot/Whatever it's called in your tradition? Mine is the moment after receiving Communion, when I'm kneeling in the pews and taking in what I call the “symphony of going to church“, i.e. beautiful music, the shuffling of many feet, a droning litany of “The body of Christ“ - “Amen“, the smell of incense, maybe small particles of dust dancing in the sunlight that falls through the windows on the altar, the feeling of the kneeling benches pressing against my knees, the lingering taste of the Host in my mouth and the feeling that I just participated in something very profound. It's beautiful, and majestic, and meditative and by far the part of Mass where I'm feeling the most at peace :allears:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I've got several:

the Cherubic Hymn, which is sung at the entrance of the bread and wine, and which begins: "Let us, who mystically represent the Cherubim / And chant the thrice-holy hymn to the Life-giving Trinity / Cast aside all earthly cares..." I'm in the choir, and I like that we symbolize the cherubim in the entire symbolic structure of the Liturgy, and also I like the emphasis on abandoning the concerns of the earthly world during the Consecration and Communion.

any service or part of a service which is done at night, and only lit by candlelight. For instance, one of the readings during the Easter Vigil is The Valley of Dry Bones, and at our church the choir director sings that every year. Looking at her holding a single candle in the middle of the darkened church and singing about that hope is deeply moving. The first time I ever walked into an Orthodox church, when I was wondering whether or not to convert, it was on Saturday night, during the vigil, and the church was dark. It was a huge building and old, full of random dark corners everywhere and heavy carved wood. The church was quiet, and almost totally empty. There was one tiny light, up at the choir stall, and from somewhere near that light I heard a voice singing, "I look to the hills, whence cometh my help," and then "My help is in the lord, who made the heavens and the earth." The church was majestic, the quiet gilded darkness that guy was singing inside, but he wasn't majestic; a single human being and his un-miked voice are tiny and isolated. But that hope never goes away.

Mr Enderby posted:

I don't think that's true though. You wouldn't tell a child that Esoteric Hitlerism or Taqfiri Islam are valid belief systems.
You'd tell them that they exist surely, or at least not hide their existence from them.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 25, 2017

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Words of absolution. No contest.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Josef bugman posted:

Seriously, after the whole "stolen children working as washerwomen" and the child sex scare thing it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people in Ireland don't have the best impression of Catholicism at this point in time.

I suppose this is the daily reminder for everyone to watch Calvary.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Just read the plot description on wikipedia... I am none too sure I'd be able to get through it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
'Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.'

I'm not sure quite why I like that so much but I really do. Though 'Do this in memory of me' is a pretty close runner.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Behold the Lamb of God! Behold Him who takes away the sin of the world!

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

For me also "Behold the Lamb...!"

But the Confiteor is a very close second.

I confess to Almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and what I have failed to do,
[& striking one's breast:]
through my fault,
through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;

Therefore I ask Blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles, "I leave you peace. My peace I give you." Look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I should really watch that bc i fuckin love In Bruges

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, guys! It's been a really rough month chez Lupin. I'm in deep despair after a mere 6 days of Trump. I'm calling representatives and such, but I'm disabled and that's about all I can do.

How are you guys doing? What's sustaining you?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

god, friends, booze, video games, the usual

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
wb to the liturgigoon thread's cool aunt

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hey, guys! It's been a really rough month chez Lupin. I'm in deep despair after a mere 6 days of Trump. I'm calling representatives and such, but I'm disabled and that's about all I can do.

Fury and gallows humor, mostly.

I try to balance this out with acts of charity from time to time, but that mostly just makes me wonder if I'm doing enough with what little power I have, and whether the path I'm on actually leads to reclaiming any measure of control over the world for myself and/or humanity, or if I'm going to burn out halfway there or if it's all just a cosmic hamster wheel anyways.

And by then I'm angry again. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 26, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also watch The Mission

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

denial, mostly

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I finally broke down and bought a cell phone for myself - not because I ever make any calls, but because now I can stream Pandora in my car and thus have music without having to listen to radio news, or even commercials.

Horrible poo poo is going to be happening in Washington for the next four years because people were conned into believing that they wanted that terrible poo poo to happen. Until they decide it really is terrible and vote the rear end in a top hat back out, I don't want to hear about it.

I'm almost completely blocked off from political news at this point. I will be blissfully unaware while the Republicans destroy the country because I can do nothing to stop them (being a filthy Democrat they don't care about my opinion anyway). So I'm just tuning the country out until it gets it's head back together. Then I will go to work helping to rebuild all the vital institutions that just got destroyed.

I'm also doing my own small protests. Our exercise class had both TVs on Fox News for the inaugural coverage last Friday. I told them I wanted 1 TV without it, and certainly not Fox News in any circumstances. They refused to change the channel, so I walked out. I tell management at whatever place it's on that I find Fox offensive and will not watch it under any circumstances, and if they won't put something else on, I won't come back. It's not just symbolic - I really do find it offensive and refuse to watch it anywhere I have an option.

Other than that I'm burying myself in church-related stuff. Constant reminders that I'm not crazy and that Trump really does represent evil and darkness helps keep me sane. Following Christ and ignoring the rest pacifies many anxieties.

I'll get involved in larger protests as the need arises. I plan to focus on specific things he's trying to do, rather than generic "I don't like Trump" stuff with seems pointless. What he says is meaningless. I intend to judge him for what he actually does in office, not get bogged down in hypothetical fears of what he might do.

Someone clever once said:

A mighty fortress is our God,
a bulwark never failing;
our helper he amid the flood
of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe
doth seek to work us woe;
his craft and power are great,
and armed with cruel hate,
on earth is not his equal.

So I intend to take advantage of his strength to boost my own to get through this.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do not be afraid, Arsenic Lupin! In the valley of the shadow of death, the Lord is with you. The resurrection is real. The Lamb of God's ultimate victory over evil is assured. I don't know what will happen tomorrow or in four years, but this I know.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hate and contempt mostly. I will consider it a bonus if we get through the next 4 years without dying in nuclear fire/of radiation poisoning or if America is not turned into a dictatorship. I also hate the fact that Republicans are still trying to justify having a duplicitous, lying poo poo stain as president and claiming to represent "family values".

StashAugustine posted:

god, friends, booze, video games, the usual

Without the first one, I'd say that's me too.

Deteriorata posted:

Someone clever once said:

A mighty fortress is our God,
a bulwark never failing;
our helper he amid the flood
of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe
doth seek to work us woe;
his craft and power are great,
and armed with cruel hate,
on earth is not his equal.

So I intend to take advantage of his strength to boost my own to get through this.

If we do end up in "full on walking apocalypse" I am going to be sincerely pissed at whoever wrote that. That said I cannot blame people for wanting to not pay too much attention. I can however ask that anyone who does at least donate money and ensure that there is stuff put in place to try and prevent Trump as short term a president as possible.

Caufman posted:

The Lamb of God's ultimate victory over evil is assured. I don't know what will happen tomorrow or in four years, but this I know.

I wish I had your sureness.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

If we do end up in "full on walking apocalypse" I am going to be sincerely pissed at whoever wrote that.
things were way loving worse for the first few generations of people who sang that, the early modern period sucked dick it was luther

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

things were way loving worse for the first few generations of people who sang that, the early modern period sucked dick it was luther

That's some chuzpe coming from Luther, considering how much of what happened was actually his fault.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the early modern would probably have sucked anyway

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

the early modern would probably have sucked anyway

The actual reason was, amazingly, climate change. The Swedes actually walked to Denmark over the ice.

I've read that it was man-made climate change too, but that seems to be a fringe opinion.

I guess what I'm saying is we're probably looking at another 30yrs war in the next centuries, better keep those poems on hand.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I wish I had your sureness.

To be honest, it is not too hard to sound sure about something that likely cannot be disproved in my lifetime. That's actually a shallower measure of faith compared to living daily with a commitment to love God and love my neighbors. That's of more consequence and where my obedience is really tested.

Trump can only get people killed and have people terrorized. He cannot get me to treat my wife like an object. He cannot make me fear or hate my neighbor. He cannot make me accuse my brother. In other words, he cannot take away what has put meaning in my life: my love of the almighty God and this world without end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To be honest, Trump isn't the man who scares me. That would be Mike Pence, who is more than likely going to do enormous damage to women's rights, LGBT rights, public education, and public healthcare, and I think he truly does believe he'll be doing so in the name of Jesus with God's blessing.

Trump on the other hand is just a narcissistic sociopath who wants to be the center of attention at all times.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Baiken is coming out soon and VF6 is going to be announced in September, that's good enough for me

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

Baiken is coming out soon and VF6 is going to be announced in September, that's good enough for me

they're making a new virtua fighter?? awesome! i can't wait to be poo poo at it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Senju Kannon posted:

they're making a new virtua fighter?? awesome! i can't wait to be poo poo at it

It's at rumor stage right now, but I Want To Believe

Also, I hope that this post from virtuafighter.com brings you comfort today

First. Virtua Fighter is its own form of martial art. It is something to be learned, practiced and enjoyed with or without a scene.

Second. Before you can play it competitively you have to be able to play it. First you learn to sweep the stairs, and carry buckets of water my friend. Then eventually you earn your way to the dojo. Then sparring mode, and license mode on normal, and license mode on hard.
At that point you have the basic VF vocabulary, and philosophy from there you begin your journey to find a few worthy opponents. And your most worthy adversary will be yourself. That's how it is in most legit martial arts VF is no different.

Third. 'the scene' thats such a vague phrase. Do you mean online? online Xbox? online PSN? what time zone if you're talking online. If not online, what continent, country are you referring to? VF is a martial art that is practiced all over the planet. Once you pick a continent and country and narrow it down to a city then you can start asking questions about 'the scene' and even then are you talking about public or private tournaments? I'm in regular offline (but private tournaments) with friends and family all the time. And these tournaments are by invitation only. And to be sure they feature some of the most sought after VF masters.

I don't know if there has ever been some ubiquitous global 'VF scene' the martial art of VF is an acquired taste, and requires skill and dedication that is not matched by any other 3D fighter. The race is not to the swift and the battle does not always go to the strong.

And the pursuit and mastery of VF is a worthwhile goal regardless to whether you ever play in a tournament, or ever find 'the scene' Seek out a VF master and become a student and let that master help you to a knowledge of self.

Is not a VF fighter like any other creature? the rabbit feels rage. The tiger, pity. The dragon, pain. All creatures, the low and the high, are one with nature. No life is insignificant. If we have the wisdom to learn, all may teach us their virtues. From the crane we learn grace and self control. The snake teaches us suppleness and rhythmic endurance. The praying mantis teaches us speed and patience. And from the tiger we learn tenacity and power. And from the dragon we learn to ride the wind.

first seek to learn, and you may find that competition is an illusion and the only true tournament is within....

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
considering a vf pro played sf at evo and won this seems like sound advice

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

pidan posted:

The actual reason was, amazingly, climate change. The Swedes actually walked to Denmark over the ice.

I've read that it was man-made climate change too, but that seems to be a fringe opinion.

I guess what I'm saying is we're probably looking at another 30yrs war in the next centuries, better keep those poems on hand.

Finally HEY GAIL will be able to put her reenacting experience into practice

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

pidan posted:

Or another Crusade. Israel might not be happy with a stunning re-enactment of the Sack of Jerusalem though. On the plus side maybe there'll be less cannibalism this time!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Caufman posted:

To be honest, it is not too hard to sound sure about something that likely cannot be disproved in my lifetime. That's actually a shallower measure of faith compared to living daily with a commitment to love God and love my neighbors. That's of more consequence and where my obedience is really tested.

Trump can only get people killed and have people terrorized. He cannot get me to treat my wife like an object. He cannot make me fear or hate my neighbor. He cannot make me accuse my brother. In other words, he cannot take away what has put meaning in my life: my love of the almighty God and this world without end.

What if his actions lead to, ultimately, an end to the human race. Would that be enough to tell you that the world is ending and that God has done nothing to prevent it?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Josef bugman posted:

What if his actions lead to, ultimately, an end to the human race.

That's a rather big if.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

my dad posted:

That's a rather big if.

I doubt we have more than one chance, owing to depletion of resources, to get off of earth, if we end up ruining ourselves now we are all going to die here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think the forums temporarily ate a post again, so I'm unclogging the thread with a meaningless post.

• Locked thread