Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MorgaineDax posted:

Bingewatching Voyager leads to major whiplash sometimes.

Pathfinder: "Barclay, you can't avoid real life relationships by going into the holodeck to make friends that are programmed to like you! It's not real!"

Then the literal next episode.

Fair Haven: "Janeway, you have to avoid real life relationships by going into the holodeck to gently caress an Irish rogue that you reprogrammed to your exact specifications! It's totally real!"

That episode would have been better (but still not good) if it just treated the holodeck like the fucktoy everyone knows it is instead of the other characters being all weird about either Janeway loving with a sapient being (which the Irish guy isn't) for her own pleasure or telling her to treat it like a real relationship (which is isn't). Janeway wanted to get laid, just let her get laid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've only seen TMP a couple times, I had no idea the main theme was the one they used for TNG.

Also holy poo poo I forgot how rough this movie is, never saw theatrical before but here I am.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Kingtheninja posted:

I've only seen TMP a couple times, I had no idea the main theme was the one they used for TNG.

Also holy poo poo I forgot how rough this movie is, never saw theatrical before but here I am.

I find it's a good movie to put on in the background and do other stuff.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm literally watching TMP for the first time right now (I started with WOK and didn't bother based on my other brothers advice). Best I can tell so far his movie is a 2 hour fly by of the enterprise.

Edit: they literally made up, then unceremoniously killed Not Spock Vulcan Science Officer. :laffo:

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 26, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know about the rest of the movie, but the opening of TMP is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbG3N51MEjM

I also love that we see the little shitball stations people are assigned to relay messages.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spoeank posted:

Edit: they literally made up, then unceremoniously killed Not Spock Vulcan Science Officer. :laffo:

I think that's a relic of the script being re-purposed from the Phase II pilot, which would have introduced Xon, a Spock replacement (Nimoy was in the middle of a lawsuit against Paramount at the time). After it became a movie, Nimoy's suit was settled and Livingston and Roddenberry started rewriting the script to include Spock, David Gautreaux was shuffled from playing Xon to the tiny role of the commander of Epsilon 9.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Was that Vulcan the same character /actor they were going to replace spock with before nimoy came on board?

I still think my favorite line from the new books is the one from the effects guy on ilia's neck gem. Something like "gently caress me, who designed this thing?!"

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Anyone else dropping hundreds of dollars on the Dave and Buster's game?

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 26, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tikifire posted:

I find it's a good movie to put on in the background and do other stuff.

Like go out to the store.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

skasion posted:

Opaka was a character with dramatic potential. She's not a super fascinating or conflicted individual, but she's like an alien Gandhi or Mandela who holds a broken nation together through sheer personal equanimity. That's great potential for tragedy in the character because as soon as she's out of the way, what's going to stop all these armed rebels who fought off Cardassia from turning on each other? Well, as it turns out a lack of editorial imagination can stop it just fine. There's a single arc about how the Bajoran state is founded on sand and without Opaka everything is hosed, but as it turns out it was all a cardassian plot all along thereby conveniently freeing the writers from ever having to deal with the problem again. It's the lack of ambition in dealing with Bajor and its problems that irritate me most about DS9. It's set up as the major premise of the show that Bajor wants to join the federation but at the end it's been such a fait accompli for so long that the finale forgets to even check back in with that plot line.

For me, the most frustrating part of DS9 is that, even with seven seasons to flesh it out, all we ever see of Bajor is a few farm houses, a couple monasteries, the capitol building, a Cardassian orphanage, and the cave set. Where do all the people live? I mean, I get that it's supposed to have been this bucolic world in the past, but what about the millions of people who used to live in refugee camps? Did they all get resettled in remote villages? Where are the large urban centers (and why don't they have names)? What about these massive mining projects the Cardassians supposedly left behind? Or the "industrial replicators" doing the rebuilding? Can't we see some actual squalor? Actual devastation? All this telling about plagues and famines and camps and the rape of the land and they never show any of it. I get that it was usually cheaper to just redress existing sets, but I would have killed for even a decent matte painting of industrial wasteland, because that would at least make it feel real.

As it is, the Bajorans come off as whiny and childish because they're always complaining about the horrible stuff that used to happen to them and using it as an excuse to act like assholes, but half the time they're sitting in an idyllic farmhouse or walking through a lush garden while they do it. I always forget that the first season is set immediately post-occupation because, honestly, it never really feels that way. If they'd just set more stories on Bajor and in different parts of it, not only would the world feel more real, but they'd have gotten to use a wider variety of plots than just "Kira confronts her past," "turmoil in the capitol," and "the Emissary faces a trial."

I also think that they really shouldn't have been so quick to kill off Bajoran characters. Kira and Winn (and Odo, I guess) are the only Bajorans who have a consistent presence throughout the series and every time they introduce someone who can fill the role of "sympathetic recurring Bajoran" they just write them off again. I'm not saying Opaka, Shakaar, Bereil, Random Vedic dude, and the rest were great characters, but the show really needed to have someone consistent on Bajor if only so they could fill the Admiral Ross/Natchaev role of plot delivery mechanism.

I agree that they seem to have mostly given up on Bajor after a while. I suspect it was Berman and Piller's baby and Behr was never particularly interested in it, but couldn't exactly write it out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Duckbag posted:

As it is, the Bajorans come off as whiny and childish because they're always complaining about the horrible stuff that used to happen to them and using it as an excuse to act like assholes

Oh man, this is just begging for

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Touche.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Wow TMP is really bad guys.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'll watch TMP before any of the TNG movies.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TMP is pretty cool on a theatre screen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Scify generally doesn't have the budget to really depict big cities with a proper sense of scale.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

TMP is pretty cool on a theatre screen.

TMP is very much a lazy Saturday afternoon kind of thing that you need to luxuriate in just how dumb it is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Scify generally doesn't have the budget to really depict big cities with a proper sense of scale.

Those cities in Voyager were amazing, though

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Is it saavik ever mentioned as being half Romulan? The books talked about it like it was common knowledge but I had no idea.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kingtheninja posted:

Is it saavik ever mentioned as being half Romulan? The books talked about it like it was common knowledge but I had no idea.

There is deleted footage in Wrath of Khan in which Spock discusses it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know this isn't the GBS thread but no TMP viewing has ever matched the time I watched it while tripping on edibles with a stranger's cat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That's what it was made for tbh.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'd probably like TMP more if it were recut in the style of Koyaanisqatsi.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bucswabe posted:

I feel like the much greater security concern is that the computer didn't go "hey wait a minute, Picard is giving me orders but he's not even on this floor."

Seems like voice only recognition is problematic in a world with 100% perfect holograms.

A child built a Picard voice simulator on the Enterprise's second mission and used it to order crew around and cause major problems*, so the computer still using simple voice recognition without some kind of two-factor authentication for high security poo poo like taking over the flagship is completely inexcusable.

*Although holy poo poo the assistant chief engineer left a kid in charge of the engine room on his own initiative so Starfleet has other serious personnel and training problems.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It wasn't until season 2 that "chief engineer" really meant anything, anyway. :v:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
These trek joke accounts are getting a little too real

https://twitter.com/realRealDukat/status/823987450431184896

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The Dark One posted:

These trek joke accounts are getting a little too real

https://twitter.com/realRealDukat/status/823987450431184896

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Orv posted:

TMP is very much a lazy Saturday afternoon kind of thing that you need to luxuriate in just how dumb it is.

Fun fact: I couldn't find it in our local video rental store on DVD (they had it on VHS), but my DVR managed to catch it playing on my CW affiliate in, you guessed it, the "Saturday Afternoon Movie" slot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Speaking of TMP, do you think the movie would've gotten slightly better reviews if the later-added model design for V'ger would've been in since the beginning? I wonder if part of the negative reaction, outside the slowness, comes from the central antagonist is portrayed as a blue cloud and a trippy sequence that doesn't give a real sense of identity.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MisterBibs posted:

Speaking of TMP, do you think the movie would've gotten slightly better reviews if the later-added model design for V'ger would've been in since the beginning? I wonder if part of the negative reaction, outside the slowness, comes from the central antagonist is portrayed as a blue cloud and a trippy sequence that doesn't give a real sense of identity.

What version of the movie has and doesn't have this? I watched it recently on Netflix and could have sworn I came away with a better understanding of what the shape of Vger was supposed to be but couldn't really put my finger on why that time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

So we've got about 5 years until Pence shoots Ivanka?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What version of the movie has and doesn't have this? I watched it recently on Netflix and could have sworn I came away with a better understanding of what the shape of Vger was supposed to be but couldn't really put my finger on why that time.

According to the youtube video I saw the two scenes from, they were were added into the directors cut of this movie in 2000.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Watching ST:V on Showtime Family because it suckered me in. I've seen it so so so many times.

This movie is such a conundrum. It's a very bad movie. But it has such great character moments. I think it has some of the most TOS humor out of all of the movies. They are all just so relaxed in their characters.

Kirk: "You're either with us or against us."
Spock: "I am here captain."
Kirk: "That's a little vague Spock."

It's like every scene that's just the three of them has gold dialog. But the rest of the movie is just so goofy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Beachcomber posted:

So we've got about 5 years until Pence shoots Ivanka?

https://twitter.com/RikerGoogling/status/796900689783816192

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I'm watching Emissary because I haven't in ages and I love Sisko's hostility towards Picard

Orv
May 4, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Watching ST:V on Showtime Family because it suckered me in. I've seen it so so so many times.

This movie is such a conundrum. It's a very bad movie. But it has such great character moments. I think it has some of the most TOS humor out of all of the movies. They are all just so relaxed in their characters.

Kirk: "You're either with us or against us."
Spock: "I am here captain."
Kirk: "That's a little vague Spock."

It's like every scene that's just the three of them has gold dialog. But the rest of the movie is just so goofy.

STV is a bad movie that is my second favorite TOS movie because it does that camp, happy humor so incredibly well. The movie is one big repository of Good Trek One Liners wrapped in a poo poo movie. And no WoK is not my first, fight me.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 26, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I can't wait until season 7 is over.

Imagine being such a weiner that your future self comes back in time to try to fix your life and concludes you're too hopeless better just kill you now. And then fails at that too.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 26, 2017

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Orv posted:

STV is a bad movie that is my second favorite TOS movie because it does that camp, happy humor so incredibly well. The movie is one big repository of Good Trek One Liners wrapped in a poo poo movie. And no WoK is not my first, fight me.

I quit watching V on my first try when the ROCKET BOOTS moment happened.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was watching the scene from ST6 randomly, and I've only just noticed that for a Proud Klingon Warrior, Chang looks away away when his ship is going to get a torpedo to the dome. For all his desire of conflict and war between his people and the Federation, he can't look at it to the face.

(only vaguely related, I want to see a scene like this in NuTrek at some point, because seeing one ship throwing everything they've got downrange was awesome, seeing two ships do it would be amazing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Dark One posted:

I quit watching V on my first try when the ROCKET BOOTS moment happened.

Which one? There are two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1WqN1XKK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRG6Oar-aM