Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

inferis posted:

Just got to the part where the bed dies and I think I might have made the wrong decision.

No, you made the right decision. Now go to Yen and try to explain about Triss. Keep pushing the point when she tells you she doesn't want to talk about it. You'll then see the funniest thing in the entire game. Go back to Yen and try to keep talking about Triss. Yen says she can do it again only ten times worse and Geralt will drop the subject.

And yeah, the Keira questline can end in one of three ways: you kill her; you convince her to go to Kaer Morhen; or you drop the subject and let her go to Radovid. I let her go to Radovid and much later in the game was shown the most gruesome thing by far in the entire game. Let's just say that killing her as Geralt would have been much more humane in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

If you play the earlier Witcher games telling her not to go to Radovid is a massive no brainer after the end of the second game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It's a shame Foltest's kids don't show up in this at all. The Striga daughter (if you cured her) and Anais.

I gas really hoped for a throwback mission where Adda reverts and you have to take her out.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Fuzz posted:

It's a shame Foltest's kids don't show up in this at all. The Striga daughter (if you cured her) and Anais.

I gas really hoped for a throwback mission where Adda reverts and you have to take her out.

That would be amusing, although that would be what the third time? I can picture Geralt just saying "gently caress this poo poo" and finishing the job.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

That would be amusing, although that would be what the third time? I can picture Geralt just saying "gently caress this poo poo" and finishing the job.

Yeah, exactly. Roche comes up to him all teary eyed about Adda reverting for the third time and Geralt just saying gently caress it.

There were a few major omissions in this one that should have been addressed, like Henselt (if you let him live) and Saskia. Hell, would have been nice if Laredo turned up (if he escaped/you let him live) and you finally got another chance to kill his rear end.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, exactly. Roche comes up to him all teary eyed about Adda reverting for the third time and Geralt just saying gently caress it.

There were a few major omissions in this one that should have been addressed, like Henselt (if you let him live) and Saskia. Hell, would have been nice if Laredo turned up (if he escaped/you let him live) and you finally got another chance to kill his rear end.

Henselt gets killed by Radovid when he takes over Kaedwan or he dies fighting the Nilfgaardians (I forget which maybe both?), I think the biggest omission is the fact Iorveth isn't in the game at all not really sure where he would fit in exactly, but Roche has a decent role and its weird the other main branching story path gets shafted.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Fuzz posted:

Really wish they would do a white wolf edition like witcher 1 and add in the missing story stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

Take her out to dinner, you mean. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Drifter posted:

Take her out to dinner, you mean. :colbert:

But catoblepas steak is really expensive.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I think the issue is you can access basically every side quest from the beginning of the game, so if you're the type to do side quests before the main quest you'll end up getting to the main quest 60 hours in and then it's all main quest all the time.

This does have the side effect of keeping the main quest really engaging in spite of the game having a massive amount of content. I enjoyed that most of the sidequests were just sort of available and very few new ones appeared later in the game, because I was able to see most of the main story without needing to interrupt it.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Jack2142 posted:

Henselt gets killed by Radovid when he takes over Kaedwan or he dies fighting the Nilfgaardians (I forget which maybe both?), I think the biggest omission is the fact Iorveth isn't in the game at all not really sure where he would fit in exactly, but Roche has a decent role and its weird the other main branching story path gets shafted.

Iorveth originally was a significant part of the story and then they had to cut his stuff, apparently.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Considering the roles the likes of Letho got in W3, even if they had to kill their original plans, it really shouldn't have been hard to fit in time to make a quest where you run into him and kill some Witch Hunters hounding his Scoia'tael before going back to him if you did that to ask him to help with the Wild Hunt. Even if they can't add a big plot for him, they could probably have invented a small thing easy.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jack2142 posted:

Henselt leads all his campaigns from the front, and the surprise attack from Redania is no different. He dies at the front during the war, assuming he survives Witcher 2. His demoralized troops surrender and Radovid takes control of Kaedwen without spilling further blood.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Orv posted:

And he saw that it was good, and thus it went in the second post.

Thanks Lawen.

I dunno who Lawen is, but I cleaned up the list and actually added links:

The Good Mod List:

Mandatory: (Get all of these)

Optional Gameplay/Quality of Life Improvements: (in order of importance)
  • Friendly HUD (because I like seeing the HUD I need when I need it, not all the time. MUCH more immersive)
  • Better Trophies (Makes trophies actually worth keeping and swapping around)
  • Refill Alcohol Selection (Always uses the alcohol you have the most of, so you can't run out of anything)
  • Cheaper Respec Potions (respeccing for cheaper = more variety and chance to mess around)
  • Cheap Dyes Everywhere (because gently caress waiting for endgame DLC for that poo poo. Dyeable Starting Armor is also good)
  • Perks Always Active (Passives are totally a losing proposition otherwise and at a certain point you have too many skillpoints)

Optional Graphical and Aesthetic Tweaks: (no specific order)
  • HD Reworked Project (improved textures are mainly noticeable in Novigrad and Skellige)
  • Improved Sign Effects (because having a huge shockwave Aard that flattens dudes is :krad:)
  • Griffin Armor Redesign (Because I'm a fat shamer and don't like :btroll: Geralt)
  • No Dirty Lens Effect (I don't like feeling like I'm playing a movie)
  • Scabbards on NPCs (Makes NPCs look loving AWESOME and maintains your immersion)
  • Turbo Lighting Mod (Makes nights spooky, works well with Weather despite some conflicts)
  • Enhanced Weather (Because holy poo poo looking out over Velen when it's foggy is BEAUTIFUL)
  • Lore Friendly Witchers (Only used the eyes, because I like the specular shiny thing and in a lot of cutscenes it makes Geralt look even more badass. Or you can make Geralt look like a pasty albino if you're a book sperg, but never run in the rain/get wet because there's no wet skin shadermapping)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 26, 2017

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Considering the roles the likes of Letho got in W3, even if they had to kill their original plans, it really shouldn't have been hard to fit in time to make a quest where you run into him and kill some Witch Hunters hounding his Scoia'tael before going back to him if you did that to ask him to help with the Wild Hunt. Even if they can't add a big plot for him, they could probably have invented a small thing easy.

Apparently you were originally supposed to be able to recruit Iorveth for the defense of Kaer Morhen, and Roche would be upset. Letho was a replacement for Iorveth in this particular role. Another plotline that got completely dropped was John Natalis and Anais La Valette (though you can meet her mother, the subject of what happened to her never comes up).

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That mod list makes me wish mods were on PS4.

It does remind me of a couple of things I liked/disliked about this game:

I dislike how slowly Geralt moves through shallow water. Yeah, it's more realistic but it's annoying from a gameplay perspective. I loving HATE how fall damage works. Geralt feels far more fragile than PCs in other games in this regard. I died far more from fall damage than enemies by far. I also hate the load times. I don't know how it is on PC but on PS4 it takes several minutes to reload when I die. Frustrating.

I gotta say that I really, really like the quest system in this game. I finished every quest in the game and both DLCs and I never felt like any two quests felt samey and I don't recall any obvious fetch quests. When you add the fact that literally every quest had several good cutscenes and it's obvious that they put a lot of effort into the quest system. I don't know how they did it in such a short amount of time. Really, really impressed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

...! posted:

That mod list makes me wish mods were on PS4.
The only one I'd really like is Auto Apply Oils. That poo poo just gets tedious. Though, speaking of tedium: I'd take a mod that auto-sells all Junk items at vendors that'll take them.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
I think I've run into a bug on the most recent patch on PS4 GOTY. I knew from previous runs there was some fuckery around getting the Gwent cards from White Orchard, so I spent my starting money on buying all the gwent cards Elsa the tavern lady had. All well and good, but later on I came back and she had another Decoy, which I bought out of confusion. Just came back to her again and she's got another Decoy to sell, which will bring me up to three before I leave White Orchard. What is happening, does it happen with any other gwent sellers, and does this affect the gwent trophy (it's already murdering my completionist tendencies)?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Konig posted:

I think I've run into a bug on the most recent patch on PS4 GOTY. I knew from previous runs there was some fuckery around getting the Gwent cards from White Orchard, so I spent my starting money on buying all the gwent cards Elsa the tavern lady had. All well and good, but later on I came back and she had another Decoy, which I bought out of confusion. Just came back to her again and she's got another Decoy to sell, which will bring me up to three before I leave White Orchard. What is happening, does it happen with any other gwent sellers, and does this affect the gwent trophy (it's already murdering my completionist tendencies)?

As long as you get a single copy of every card, you'll actually clear the trophy, I'm pretty sure. Check your Miraculous Guide to Gwent book and see if it still lists any cards available in White Orchard, but you're probably okay. It does sound like a bug, but I'm betting that at worst, you'll just have a bunch of extra copies of Decoy.

On another note, I finished Blood and Wine. It was fun, but the Main Quest of it is definitely the most tepid of the three (main game and HoS being the others). I like the flavor of the province and everything, but I could never really get into the vampire drama or the family feud. It does have maybe the only two legit hard combats in the game: the endboss of the main quest has an attack that's really tough to dodge, having to run all the way to the side and roll into it, and it breaks through Quen and is a solid OHKO when it connects. Plus, the quest where you reenact the elf stuff has those two teleporting wizards with homing ranged attacks that are pretty tough.

If I end up biting the bullet and doing New Game +, I assume that I should take all my nice armor off the racks and put it in the stash? Will my gear, alchemy stuff, and the stash carry over? I think really that the reason to do it would be to play with the mutations some more and cook up the few formulae I never got around to, but I'm not sure it's worth it if I have to rediscover all the recipes and whatnot.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bicyclops posted:

If I end up biting the bullet and doing New Game +, I assume that I should take all my nice armor off the racks and put it in the stash? Will my gear, alchemy stuff, and the stash carry over? I think really that the reason to do it would be to play with the mutations some more and cook up the few formulae I never got around to, but I'm not sure it's worth it if I have to rediscover all the recipes and whatnot.

All gear, learned recipes, and inventory carry over, both the stash and on geralt. Not having to find recipes was one of the best parts of NG+. Your GM witcher gear can last you till you make the NG+ of witcher gear or buy the nilfgardian set.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I recommend taking a break for a couple months then coming back for NG+.

There are a TON of things you'll notice on a second playthrough, it's great, but you might want to let yourself forget some of it before restarting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

There are a TON of things you'll notice on a second playthrough, it's great, but you might want to let yourself forget some of it before restarting.

Yeah, that's my plan, really. I just want to be sure that I'm set up for it when I come back, so taking some stuff off the racks, shoving it into the box, and maybe buying a potion of clearance so that I can redistribute points and focus a bit more alchemy.

drat, was that an incredible game, though! Cyberpunk 2077 news is officially on my Google watch list. If they put the same of effort and love into that, I know that I'll at least enjoy the hell out of the single player, and who knows what the multiplayer aspects of it are going to be yet?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The falling damage really isn't serious at all if you remember to do the timed button press when you land. and by timed, I mean you just mash the button nonstop anytime you're in midair and then you no longer take fall damage

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Digirat posted:

The falling damage really isn't serious at all if you remember to do the timed button press when you land. and by timed, I mean you just mash the button nonstop anytime you're in midair and then you no longer take fall damage

In fact, it's not even the damage that's annoying (although the grant bulk of my deaths have still been from falling damage), it's that you're suddenly a very long way away from your objective unless you can climb back up without sliding. There are also two separate places I accidentally found in Touissant caves where jumping up into the wrong corner puts Geralt in an invinite sliding loop, where he just slides against the wall, unable to jump, climb or turn around, for all eternity. The climbing, swimming and horse-riding controls are quirky, basically, which I'm okay with, because combat is what you spend the bulk of your time doing, and it feels smooth as hell to leap behind one bandit and backstab him, then counter the next bandit's attack, knocking him onto the ground so that you can stab him while he is prone, then leap back and forth toward the archers.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pellisworth posted:

I started the books after finishing the game and I'm really looking forward to my NG+ run now. Also never played W1 or W2 so I'm hoping my laptop can run them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Will doing NG+ if I have not done the DLC yet make me weak or do anything else bad?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

I started the books after finishing the game and I'm really looking forward to my NG+ run now. Also never played W1 or W2 so I'm hoping my laptop can run them.

I'm pretty certain there are still a good number of easter eggs and hidden content most players haven't seen and haven't been discussed in this thread, there's so much stuff in the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Will doing NG+ if I have not done the DLC yet make me weak or do anything else bad?

Nope. Everything is scaled to the level you start NG+ at. If you start it at level 30, it's exactly the same as a normal game except everything has +30 levels and gear is scaled accordingly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It will make you wait longer to experience the DLC, which is in some cases better than the base game. Also you'll miss out on mutations, grandmaster witcher armor, and the runewright.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hearts of Stone is fantastic and mostly self-contained, it's "only" about 10-15 hours and has some of the best sequences and storytelling in the game. They also tried to make boss fights more difficult so it's more of a challenge than the later parts of the base game.

Pro-tip: when you get to the wedding sequence, the first thing you should do is LOSE the Gwent game to the halflings. Trust me.

edit: spoilered results of doing the above in case you missed it your first playthrough losing to the halflings gives you a donkey ears wearable item that makes the rest of the wedding even more hilarious and you can wear them afterward, just like the spectacles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bicyclops posted:

It will make you wait longer to experience the DLC, which is in some cases better than the base game. Also you'll miss out on mutations, grandmaster witcher armor, and the runewright.
Oh poo poo, so if I have the mutations and grandmaster gear and whatever the runewright stuff is when starting NG+ I get to use it the whole way through? Oh and didnt I see people posting about some badass sword that scales to your level with you if you do something a certain way?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oh poo poo, so if I have the mutations and grandmaster gear and whatever the runewright stuff is when starting NG+ I get to use it the whole way through? Oh and didnt I see people posting about some badass sword that scales to your level with you if you do something a certain way?

Yeah, there's a sword called Aerondight in B&W that charges up as you hit with it. If you kill an enemy with a fully charged sword, it gets a permanent damage boost, but if you take damage or finish a battle it will lose charges. I'm not sure how well it scales leveling over time vs. levelled gear in NG+, someone else will have to answer that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pellisworth posted:

Hearts of Stone is fantastic and mostly self-contained, it's "only" about 10-15 hours and has some of the best sequences and storytelling in the game. They also tried to make boss fights more difficult so it's more of a challenge than the later parts of the base game.

Pro-tip: when you get to the wedding sequence, the first thing you should do is LOSE the Gwent game to the halflings. Trust me.

edit: spoilered results of doing the above in case you missed it your first playthrough losing to the halflings gives you a donkey ears wearable item that makes the rest of the wedding even more hilarious and you can wear them afterward, just like the spectacles.

And because I see this come up all the time, gently caress your pride, you gain absolutely nothing special for winning, it's totally worth it to lose.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, there's a sword called Aerondight in B&W that charges up as you hit with it. If you kill an enemy with a fully charged sword, it gets a permanent damage boost, but if you take damage or finish a battle it will lose charges. I'm not sure how well it scales leveling over time vs. levelled gear in NG+, someone else will have to answer that.

2/3rds of the way through my NG+ and it's still on my back and 5-10 damage points higher than anything else scaled to whatever level i happen to be at the time. Plus it looks sweet when it's fully charged.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Crappy Jack posted:

And because I see this come up all the time, gently caress your pride, you gain absolutely nothing special for winning, it's totally worth it to lose.

You don't get to double your money? I guess that makes sense

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah if I dont miss out on collecting a card or getting a cool reward I can chose to lose.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Skwirl posted:

You don't get to double your money? I guess that makes sense

Okay, sure, you double the measly amount of coins you would get from playing. Trust me, if you feel like the monetary reward is worth it, you're an rear end.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Yeah if I dont miss out on collecting a card or getting a cool reward I can chose to lose.

There's no reward other than some cash, and it's not even a lot. Arse Ears are eternal.

Somewhere at the party is a hidden Cow Gwent card, which is actually pretty decent.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

You can wear them WITH the spectacles, no less.

you'll lose the best Gaunter card, though, as I recall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shooting Blanks posted:

I completed New Game+ (main game) still using the Aerondight I'd grabbed on my initial playthrough of Blood & Wine, it's kinda crazy how well it holds up against the much higher level weapons you get in NG+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Fuzz posted:

You can wear them WITH the spectacles, no less.

you'll lose the best Gaunter card, though, as I recall.

No you won't, there's no card attached to the game.