Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the chapter everyone hates is 13 i am pretty sure and just dicking around playing the game i have 20 hours played and i am in like, chapter four. just play the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I just picked up FFXV. I remember reading about a couple movie things. Worth watching those before, or at all?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I'll get back around to FF15 after I'm done with Persona 5

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I'll get back around to FF15 after I'm done with Persona 5
That's pretty much my situation but P5 is so freaking long I can't believe it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BlindNinja posted:

I just picked up FFXV. I remember reading about a couple movie things. Worth watching those before, or at all?

If you want to know whats going on watch Kingsglaive. For more Boyband watch he amine.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BlindNinja posted:

Up to you. Kingsglaive gives some info you wouldn't otherwise know but the movie is kinda awful. The Brotherhood anime is good but it's just some minor backstory for the bros that's not really relevant to the main story.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They have a demo of that new resident evil game? I just realized I haven't even turned on my ps4 since... poo poo, november? I think.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RatHat posted:

Up to you. Kingsglaive gives some info you wouldn't otherwise know but the movie is kinda awful. The Brotherhood anime is good but it's just some minor backstory for the bros that's not really relevant to the main story.

Seconding this. The anime makes you understand the main characters a bit better. It's worth an hour of your time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

kingsglaive is good.

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Anyone do the Diablo 3 new diablo 1 dungeon or whatever? Should I bother? I beat the game but that's it

The novelty of the old style graphics lasts long enough for you to complete the dungeon I'd say. You'll want to run it with a fresh lvl1 character as that will earn you the mini-butcher pet, you can also pick up a cow pet within the D1 area. I think the boss also drops a legendary gem that triggers its effect when you achieve a level up. Not sure how useful that'd be at high paragon levels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlindNinja posted:

They're on youtube. If you want the story to make sense, they're pretty important because the actual game's story is in shambles. But if you just wanna hit dudes with swords then whatever.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

They're on youtube. If you want the story to make sense, they're pretty important because the actual game's story is in shambles. But if you just wanna hit dudes with swords then whatever.

it's not the most explicitly told story in the world, but I dunno if I'd call it "in shambles". there are some things can be easy to miss, but for the most part the story is pretty simple. the bigger sin of FFXV's story is that it sets up a lot of things that don't go anywhere like Prompto (presumably because they ran out of time), less that they left too many things unexplained

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Brotherhood is nice and fun and only an hour long. Kingsglaive is a mess but has some pretty scenes, gives Regis and Luna som much needed characterization, and actually gives Ravus a backstory.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I'll get back around to FF15 after I'm done with Persona 5 Witcher 3.

This decision may have been a mistake.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I enjoyed FFXV more than Witcher 3. Not saying it's necessarily better, but I enjoyed it more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

morallyobjected posted:

it's not the most explicitly told story in the world, but I dunno if I'd call it "in shambles". there are some things can be easy to miss, but for the most part the story is pretty simple. the bigger sin of FFXV's story is that it sets up a lot of things that don't go anywhere like Prompto (presumably because they ran out of time), less that they left too many things unexplained

:shrug: I think those both count as 'shambles'

Its a mess. A rose by any other name.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah that's why i'm waiting for the updates that will add whole new voice acted scenes

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm really loving Witcher, but I'm lost somewhere in Velen and every 15 meters there is a bundle of like 12 side quests. The abortion monsters were a neat surprise.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Thanks for the replies, I'll check em out.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

:shrug: I think those both count as 'shambles'

Its a mess. A rose by any other name.

I dunno, I tend to think of shambles more as "plot elements are explicitly misrepresented" or "there's no way to tell what's actually going on", like certain parts of FFVII's translation. or "this event is absolutely unexplainable" like Cid's (or Rosch's, can't remember) sudden resurrection in FFXIII.

they could have added a lot more to FFXV, but it's not like the story is hard to follow

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

when i think story in shambles i think saga frontier, a game where a bunch of things happen for no reason except in some stories where actually nothing happens and then the end boss fight

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Anyone waiting for the "cutscene patch" to play FFXV is setting themselves up for disappointment. Its storytelling problems are largely structural and you won't miss anything by playing it today. Game's good.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is the Evil Within any good ?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'd give it a firm "Meh".

It's fun, but hard, and the storyline is the usual "What in the poo poo?" that we can expect from japan.

Only real irritating part of it was the weird cinema black bars, but they've been patched out. Also kinda sucks that some enemies can take 2-4 head shots to kill, and ammo is kinda scarce.

Not bad, not great, I had fun playing it but got stuck and haven't really looked back at it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TEW struggles between deciding wether it wants to be an action game or a true survival horror and ends up being the worst of both worlds.
Get RE4 HD and play that again, or just play it again if you already have it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

SiKboy posted:

Do you want to? Because they sell games in shops now, you could just buy them.
I have too many things to play, I was thinking of getting Bloodborne and Yakuza 0 definitely interests me but I might wait until they're on sale or something.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

fit em all up in there posted:

Is the Evil Within any good ?

It's a game that plays remarkably better on new game plus but it's full of one hit kill bs, and the story for the base game feels half assed.

Now that it's really cheap it may be worth it but I only beat it once and I have no desire to play it again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, does Resi 7 have much in the way of replayability? I'm trying to toss up whether my Feburary game is going to be that or Nioh. I think I'm burned out on Souls-esque games, but Nioh still appeals. Resi 7 is trying to lure me in but I don't want to pay £50 for something that'll be done and over in seven hours.

Sakurazuka posted:

TEW struggles between deciding wether it wants to be an action game or a true survival horror and ends up being the worst of both worlds.
Get RE4 HD and play that again, or just play it again if you already have it.

Yeah, I love TEW but would definitely go for RE4 over it. TEW has a lot of body horror and corruption going on, which makes for some wonderfully sickening environments and enemy designs, but the gameplay is a bit too all over the place.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i havent finished it because yakuza, but it seems the general sentiment about RE7 is that if you dont care about doing speed runs the game has essentially zero replayability

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resi 7 doesn't have much in the way of replayability unless you're into speed running or trophy hunting. There's an extra difficulty that changes some things around but that's it. There's a horde mode coming as DLC but unsurprisingly that costs extra.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A pity but not too surprising - matches up with what I'm reading elsewhere. Looks like it'll be Nioh...or maybe I'll just drop £50 on micro-transactions in the Division. :v:

I will not be doing this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just got to Altissia in FFXV and damned if that city isn't gorgeous :stwoon:.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

To anyone who got their Yakuza preorder on Amazon.co.uk in really late, mine just arrived today. Apparently it's out of stock everywhere.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got it Tuesday but I still haven't even taken it out of the wrapping yet :smug:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

poptart_fairy posted:

So, does Resi 7 have much in the way of replayability? I'm trying to toss up whether my Feburary game is going to be that or Nioh. I think I'm burned out on Souls-esque games, but Nioh still appeals. Resi 7 is trying to lure me in but I don't want to pay £50 for something that'll be done and over in seven hours.

RE7 is definitely just a rental at this point

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Butt Discussin posted:

I just got Witcher 3 a few weeks ago when it plus both expansions went on sale for $25, and it's my favorite RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. I'm trying to spread it out playing only a couple hours here and there because I know that once I'm done with it I'll probably have to wait another 17 years for a game I like as much. It's odd because I didn't like Witcher 1 and 2 much at all, didn't even bother finishing them.

Yeah Witcher 3 feels like the game they always wanted to make. I tried getting into 2 but didn't get very far, 3 is a big improvement in all areas.

Bombadilillo posted:

Nioh offering 1080p/60 makes me actually want a pro for the first time. If every game hits 1080p/60 Ill eventually upgrade. Worth noting the PS4 regular running 720p/60 is pretty pathetic.

I think you can also choose 1080p/30 if you want but yeah this doesn't set a good president and it was always inevitable that something like this might happen. I'm not sure how this will affect PvP though because I'm assuming a 60fps player will have an advantage over a 30fps one.

I'm not getting a Pro as I'm still very happy with my launch PS4. Who knows what's happening with the Xbox Scorpio whenever that gets out (rumoured to be quite a lot more powerful). But I'd happily wait another couple of years for a PS5.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I got it Tuesday but I still haven't even taken it out of the wrapping yet :smug:

Same, I bought the Dark Souls 3 DLC last night :gonk: so many games to play

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atelier Firis release details:
Bonus costumes from Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop
No LE
March 7th

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Now that Knack is 4Knack, everyone with a PS4 Pro should own it.

Also everyone with a PS4 Basic because Knack is a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lakbay posted:

RE7 is definitely just a rental at this point

Mankind Divided before it, I expect it to be dirt cheap used in 2 weeks. MD dropped to like $15 really quick.

This is such an amazing time for games releases that games without replayability are being comfortably discarded.

Res Evil 7
Nioh
Mass Effect
Horizon Zero Dawn
Neir
(also Breath of the Wild but that's neither here nor there)

All in the next 2 months. And holy poo poo, only RE7 out of that list is a short game. Its a bonified Golden Age Gentlegoons.