Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jagged Jim posted:

Save us from Drama Nexus Fallout 4 Hot Files!

Just a hairy male body

:nws: http://imgur.com/lSvaFd6

I knew we could count on you!

Nice to know the desire for a release from their suffering transcends gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jagged Jim posted:

Save us from Drama Nexus Fallout 4 Hot Files!

Just a hairy male body

:nws: http://imgur.com/lSvaFd6

I knew we could count on you!

Shepard?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Is that a face trying to escape his crotch?

It bares the head of a cock.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The MSJ posted:

The Total Recall reboot took things in a weird direction.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That screenshot was actually taken with at least a little craft/attention to detail, so the pip-boy makes it especially weird. It's reminiscent of a photo from a magazine going for titillation, but then there's a big CRT with buttons strapped to his forearm.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Everyone in the Fallout universe is aroused by CRTs because of the retro aesthetic

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The Iron Rose posted:

Gunna be honest and say that's a really good looking guy. Like drat.

The MSJ posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nice to know the desire for a release from their suffering transcends gender.

Iron Rose is facing some hard truths about their taste in men.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/paperghost/status/823470212402085888
Popular Fallout 4 Radio Mod Runs Because Of Invisible Cats

quote:

“To give you a little clarification, I spawn an invisible, silenced cat 500 units behind the player when an inactive radio station switches tracks in the background,” they said. “The cat acts like a settlement radio receiver, and its role is to keep alive the inactive radio station so it continues to the next track even if you’re listening to another station. Just like if it was a settlement receiver somewhere near the player. In normal circumstances the cat doesn’t make sound. It is silenced, it is invisible, and it is deleted from the game world after three seconds.”

HOWEVER.

“In very rare cases, though, some of the stations bugs out the first time you install the mod, and it causes to spawn cats rapidly,” cdante added. “That is what you’ve experienced. I tested this version of the mod for nearly two weeks, and I only bumped into this problem once, and as soon as I activated all the stations in my pipboy, the bug fixed itself.”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Darkest Dungeon skin mod

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1aZa2

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
:v: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846418230

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Most offensive part of the mod is that you need a custom loving workbench with goddamn research to make them.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Not an Awful Mod per se, but someone made Old Man George in Stardew Valley Hispanic for some reason.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Old Man Jorge

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

George Lopez fell on hard times, yo.

At least he doesn't have invisible radio cats.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Apparently this sort of thing is fairly common even in AAA games - NPCs have all sorts of useful behavior already implemented, so finding ways to reuse them takes a lot less work than coding up something new.

https://twitter.com/pedrothedagger/status/823681719437922304

(There's a bit more discussion of the subject threaded from there.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
yeah one of the constant problems with writing code for something that operates in a 3d game world is finding a proper focus to make something happen on. it's not appropriate for the player to run a lot of this stuff, and just defining a generic 'trigger target' class raises some uncomfortable questions about overall functionality. how should this trigger target interact with the world around it? what are sane restrictions? how does it behave as a general entity? quantifying this stuff is really weird and hard to define, and even harder to explain to people who are trying to understand your work. something ephemeral, surprisingly enough, isn't easy to understand or define.

so it ends up making MORE SENSE just to have a magical invisible critter that acts as a scapegoat because it's already got well defined interactions with everything (it won't fall through the world or phase into a rock and crash poo poo), and people generally understand just needing a stand in scapegoat.

programming is weird

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
This is essentially how World of Warcraft operates.

Billions of dying bunnies.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Invisible rats is also a well documented way to implement teleportation in TES games.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I'm guessing a lot of that is level designers wanting to do something, and not wanting to bother with the turnaround time of asking a programmer to implement a class for it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rectus posted:

I'm guessing a lot of that is level designers wanting to do something, and not wanting to bother with the turnaround time of asking a programmer to implement a class for it.
That and often a workaround solution like this is far cheaper and easier to implement then having the programmers overhaul the relevant code from the engine.

FO3's metro hat for example exists because Bethesda's Gamebryo engine didn't really support the player standing on a moving platform. You could do it, but you wouldn't get smooth movement. So one solution would have been for a team of code monkeys to completely overhaul the engine's physics and movement model. But why do that when that could take weeks? The metro-hat workaround would have taken a few hours tops to implement.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I always liked the example of a windmill in a level of Perfect Dark just being a laptop gun turret sunk in the level geometry with the windmill blades attached to it, since it was already a fully-functioning way of having a rotating axis work in the game.

Also in the DLC for Deus Ex: Human Revolution they implemented a turret with a camera on its barrel by just clipping a security camera into the base.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Programming is crazy. Source: I'm a programmer.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
You're not a programmer until the day you make a code comment saying something along the lines of, "I know this is dumb, but it works and I don't have time to do it right, so..."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Backhand posted:

You're not a programmer until the day you make a code comment saying something along the lines of, "I know this is dumb, but it works and I don't have time to do it right, so..."

You truly become a programmer on the day you realize that all code is bad and you will never, ever write good code. Given infinite time and resources you could produce good code but nobody has those things.

The other sign somebody is truly a programmer is they finally got to the day when they looked at some old code and hated it. They read it and thought "what stupid dumb gently caress wrote this garbage? This is terrible!" only to realize, sometimes through git blame, that it was indeed themselves that wrote it.

Another thing is writing code and thinking "meh, don't need to document this. I'll remember what it does" only to not and later need to rewrite it because you can't for the life of you remember what the gently caress you did.

Every program will contain insane, stupid hacks in some way, shape, or form. If it doesn't yet (it probably already does) it will soon. It's only a matter of time.

Source: I, too, am a programmer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Basically, computers are appallingly stupid and let you get away with the dumbest poo poo, and what's even worse, that dumb poo poo is often the quickest and easiest solution in the short term so it's not even guaranteed to be a terrible idea

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
With how diverse the Rimworld mods can be, this was inevitable.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=849627685&searchtext=

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Devdisigdu posted:

quote:

-Produces much less leather and meat. 

:stonk:

e: oh wait, Rimworld already lets you eat people, doesn't it? Still a real creepy thing to include in the mod description though.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 25, 2017

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
There's also that moment every programmer will have were something works, and it maybe shouldn't and YOU DON'T KNOW WHY IT DOES.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You're not a programmer until you've programmed a program.

source: t. programmer

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Shoehead posted:

There's also that moment every programmer will have were something works, and it maybe shouldn't and YOU DON'T KNOW WHY IT DOES.

I still don't know how I managed to make tea potions give back the teacups in one of my Morrowind mods. I tried writing a perfectly logical script at first, then tweaked it until it actually worked, and ended up with something that shouldn't work and gently caress if I know why it does. :psyduck:

And I thought network maintenance was like being a witch doctor. Modding Bethesda games it's like Sheogorath is built into their crappy code.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 25, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Sometimes you fix a bug and you have no loving idea how. You did a thing, and somehow everything suddenly works and you have no clue why.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Devdisigdu posted:

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: 2 fewer legs than a cow

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Jagged Jim posted:

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: 2 fewer legs than a cow

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: also Male cowgirls

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

m2pt5 posted:

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: also Male cowgirls

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: Mom told me she is proud of this mod

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slime posted:

Sometimes you fix a bug and you have no loving idea how. You did a thing, and somehow everything suddenly works and you have no clue why.

I've had code compile twice with no changes beyond a cursory "the gently caress's broken?" glance and go through fine the second time.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've had code compile twice with no changes beyond a cursory "the gently caress's broken?" glance and go through fine the second time.

In college I literally had to have friends push the button to compile because if I did it almost never worked. I did not end up being a programmer :(

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have to be honest, I don't know what this mod is about but I love the description text:

quote:

Fallout 4 MOD: Adult Childs in Institute

In this MOD, child type Synth in Institute is treated as adult.
As a proof of becoming an adult, they are given the title of Prince, Sir, Lady.

Twin sisters in red dress transform the boring space filled with
researchers wearing uniforms into a gorgeous mood.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Same guy who made the inexplicable "mutants are now ice creams" mod. All of his submissions are like this.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I am a game designer on an MMO and can confirm that they all essentially run on invisible animals, Things Man Were Not Meant to Know, dark prayers to the Old Ones, and rampant abuse of functions that one programmer allowed a designer to use as long as they PROMISED to only use it that one time. This is because MMOs are run like an airplane continually being rebuilt from the inside out by people with their hair on fire, and also the plane was originally a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

I am a game designer on an MMO and can confirm that they all essentially run on invisible animals, Things Man Were Not Meant to Know, dark prayers to the Old Ones, and rampant abuse of functions that one programmer allowed a designer to use as long as they PROMISED to only use it that one time.

But... that's all software.