Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I just broke my Note 5 and after reading a bunch bought a LG V20. I am looking for a case that isn't gody, doesn't make it bulky, and will help protect the camera glass that I heard breaks easily. What manufacturer should I be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am a fan of the Spigen Liquid Crystal ones on my 6P and other devices. Decent protection with little added bulk and doesn't hide the original phone look too much.

That plus a glass screen protector and you're golden.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fyallm posted:

I just broke my Note 5 and after reading a bunch bought a LG V20.

Just so I'm clear, you did a lot of research and that research led you to the manufacturer making phones that self destruct in 13 months? "Unrepairable hardware flaws? Sign me up!!"

Out of curiosity, where did you get this brilliant advice?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/25/htc-isnt-making-android-wear-watch-will-another-flagship-snapdragon-835-ready/

HTC is unhappy with the tepid reception of their new phone announcement while at the same time essentially telling everyone not to buy it because they will poo poo out an 835 version when the chips are available.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

horrible trash, child

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just got a September security update on my Moto X Pure. Thanks, Motorola.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/25/htc-isnt-making-android-wear-watch-will-another-flagship-snapdragon-835-ready/

HTC is unhappy with the tepid reception of their new phone announcement while at the same time essentially telling everyone not to buy it because they will poo poo out an 835 version when the chips are available.

Just when it couldn't get worse they start osborning.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am a fan of the Spigen Liquid Crystal ones on my 6P and other devices. Decent protection with little added bulk and doesn't hide the original phone look too much.

That plus a glass screen protector and you're golden.

Thanks man I will check that out!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

IAmKale posted:

Is anyone having issues with the Pixel and "OK Google" detection constantly shutting itself off?

That first toggle is the one that keeps flipping to off any time I exit this screen. When I flip it on it appears to activate, but if I jump to the homescreen and then immediately back to this screen the toggle jumps to the Off position. Voice detection used to work just fine, when I originally got the phone, but now I have to long press the Home button to use it.

I just rebooted a day or two ago, too, so I have no idea what's going on...

I think I had this problem when I tried to use an app that was supposed to push notifications to my car stereo. Since it needed to always be running, it somehow precluded using voice recognition...took me a while to figure out. So, if you have an app that has an effect on notifications, maybe it's that.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

FAUXTON posted:

OnePlus might be better for your needs.

Any particular reason? I don't want to have to get a smaller screen than I currently have.

Mu Zeta posted:

The N6 has a larger screen than the Pixel XL.

EdEddnEddy posted:

And front facing speakers..... but thats about where the Pro's end.

Yes those were my two main reasons

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

EdEddnEddy posted:

However you can get the normal Pixel pretty much anytime as long as you want it in black. (Even the 128G one)

The Pixel Model T

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
My significant other's Galaxy S7 has started randomly beeping in the middle of the night. It makes two beeps, a pause and then the same two beeps: completely different than any other notification tone on the phone. There’s also no alert on the notification screen. It's intermittent, with nights going by with no beeps and times like this morning when it started beeping at 4:11 AM, loud enough to wake me up. 😭

Google turned up a bunch of random suggestions but they don't seem to apply. Here are the current settings that could possibly be relevant:

- DND is on
- NFC is turned off
- Accessibility notification reminder is off
- Emergency alerts are off
- Alert me about data usage is off
- The phone is plugged into the stock charger.

Any ideas what's going on?

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 26, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It's a Samsung, so it's probably alerting you that the battery is fully charged.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Any particular reason? I don't want to have to get a smaller screen than I currently have.

I just switched from a Nexus 6 to a OnePlus 3t and am very happy with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

He was kidding. Look at thread title.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's a Samsung, so it's probably alerting you that the battery is fully charged.

Is there a way to turn this off on the settings?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

nocal posted:

I think I had this problem when I tried to use an app that was supposed to push notifications to my car stereo. Since it needed to always be running, it somehow precluded using voice recognition...took me a while to figure out. So, if you have an app that has an effect on notifications, maybe it's that.
The only app like that I had installed was Android Auto. Strangely enough when I went into Auto's settings and tried to toggle its "OK Google" detection to On it always immediately reset the toggle to Off.

Uninstalling the Android Auto app allowed me to go back into Assistant's settings and toggle on "Say 'Ok Google' at any time" and actually get it to stick. Good job, Google :suicide:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well there is still always the Nexus 6P.

5.7" (so a tad smaller than the 6) but better front facing speakers, still a speedy CPU/GPU, can get it in up to 128G, and much better cameras.

I am a tad biased as well since being on Sprint, it keeps me from being able to choose any of the other pretty cool GSM devices like the Axon 7 which has nearly all the hardware I would like as a 6P replacement (if I was to get one with the 820) but since it's GSM only.... Nope.

Never letting go of SERO. No other carrier is going to let me use 20+G 4G for $50 month unthrottled.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 26, 2017

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Has there been any word on if Google is going to offer a Apple Upgrade Program equivalent? A year is a hell of a long time for me to keep a phone and there's no way I wouldn't be able to not get the second iteration. The yearly upgrade thing is a neat idea and is being picked up by more than just smartphones now.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

cage-free egghead posted:

A year is a hell of a long time for me to keep a phone

:psyduck:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

So Google randomly decided to conduct an experiment and turned off the audible chime for "OK Google". This is way more annoying than I realized it would be, especially in the car where I'm not sure if the phone has picked up my voice due to background noise or not. The only way to get it back is to enable some accessibility toggle which has the side effect of disabling my volume rocker. No word on when or if they will revert this. It's not all users apparently, they just decided to randomly guinea pig people :bravo:

Well, recently I've been getting two chimes when I say "OK Google", so maybe they've given me yours. It doesn't seem to do it every time though, so it ends up throwing me off when it does happen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

A year is a hell of a long time for me to keep a phone

Same, I'm usually like 6 months but I'm gonna last until the Pixel 2 with this Pixel XL, it's so good. Can't wait though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I've been buying a different phone ever 3-6 months for like 5 years now. Used to work in retail sales and just have a general interest with them.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, I'm usually like 6 months but I'm gonna last until the Pixel 2 with this Pixel XL, it's so good. Can't wait though.

I can actually see myself keeping the Pixel, or at least try to pay it off a bit sooner. I am excited to see what rumors will spill out for the new one.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

I've been buying a different phone ever 3-6 months for like 5 years now. Used to work in retail sales and just have a general interest with them.

I'm just so used to finding a phone I like, keeping it for 2 years and upgrading when my contract expires. But if phones are super-your-thing then wanting the latest and greatest makes sense if you can afford it.

My carrier doesn't offer the Pixel. Canadian wireless! :negative:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

XYZ posted:

My carrier doesn't offer the Pixel. Canadian wireless! :negative:

It's on Rogers, Bell, Telus, Koodo, and Fido subsidized, or just buy it outright considering how high the contract price is. That's not a legit complaint about Canadian telecoms, availability of the Pixel is fine, instead choose one of a billion other things to dislike.

e: S8 leak

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/01/26/breaking-first-live-photo-leak-of-the-galaxy-s8-confirms-key-details/

Terrible fingerprint sensor location imo

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 27, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

"Why won't my phone unlock and why are the pictures so blurry?"

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Jesus gently caress. "The other manufacturers put the fingerprint sensor on the back, near the m-" SAY NO MORE

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

That isn't your opinion, that's a fact

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Am I seeing things or does it say Samsuns on the back of that phone?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It definitely does. If you zoom in camera lens, fingerprint sensor, etc don't line up at all.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Do other Samsungs Samsunss have the headphone jack on the bottom or is that new for this supposed model?

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's on Rogers, Bell, Telus, Koodo, and Fido subsidized, or just buy it outright considering how high the contract price is. That's not a legit complaint about Canadian telecoms, availability of the Pixel is fine, instead choose one of a billion other things to dislike.

Ya its everything else thats bad :v:

Buying it outright is not an option, I don't have the money for that, and I'm not going back to Robelus for phone service.

I'm just jealous of all you Pixel-havers. :smith:

edit: jesus christ that fingerprint sensor

XYZ fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 27, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

My Nexus 6P has begun shutting down at 20% battery. Cool cool cool.

I wish the Pixel wasn't so damned expensive :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I wish the Pixel wasn't so damned expensive :(

Mine too (well between 10 and 20% depending on what mood it's in). The Pixel isn't even available here either (I'm definitely not paying that price for a shady parallel import with probably zero warranty coverage).

I guess I should make a claim for the N6P under local consumer laws but it'll probably take long enough to resolve that I'd need to buy a replacement anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rather suprisingly, Moto and Verizon have managed to so far keep the Moto Z Droid fairly well updated. It's still only on 7.0, but they have pushed Jan's security update to it before the month actually ended.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just realized that if you're holding the phone in your right hand the fingerprint sensor is on the far side of the camera instead of the near side where you'd want it. The more I look at it the less sense it makes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Rumors/leaks starting to pop up about the Pixel 2s the main thing is they they claim there will be a "budget model" but no real specifics.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do other Samsungs Samsunss have the headphone jack on the bottom or is that new for this supposed model?

Both the S6 and S7 have the bottom headphone jack.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Forget the pixel, this is the closest an android phone has come to iPhone parity.

(to be fair i got a no-questions asked replacement of my 6S, it just took >6 months for apple to acknowledge the issue and 2-3 weeks for an appointment to get it swapped out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Rumors/leaks starting to pop up about the Pixel 2s the main thing is they they claim there will be a "budget model" but no real specifics.

I'm gonna guess "wishful thinking" til I see it.