Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PittTheElder posted:

Does forming Qing still require you to be Confucian (ie. non-Tengri)? hosed up if true.

IIRC it converts you to Confucian automatically when you take the decision.

RabidWeasel posted:

Can someone recommend me a difficult and interesting start which is also sufficiently far away from Africa and the Spice Islands that I don't feel tempted to rush exploration for the (n+1)th time? I'd like to do a 100% pure land conquest playthrough as much as possible.

Bonus points if it's Orthodox but I don't want to play Byz again and almost all the other Orthodox states start out in a slightly more lovely hosed up position than I really want.

There's also Perm. It's Orthodox and difficult although if you go for the achievement you'll need exploration. It doesn't really play like a normal colonizer though - you're just painting the map rather than trying to build a trade empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Odobenidae posted:

Kongo is really good for institution seeding. There's 4-5 grassland provinces all around your capital ripe for dumping all of your monarch points into. Ethiopia has one grassland province in nubia and a few dryland provinces (only a 5% malus to developing) scattered around.

I think Ethiopia's best way of picking up institutions is to conquer Egypt, where there are a ton of adjacent farmland provinces.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Definitely not a bad idea, it's just close enough to be still behind europe but you'll never need to seed anything yourself. I did that as Kaffa and despite only being able to take 2/3 of Egypt I've now got over 100 AE with the Ottomans and a little above 50 with some of my other neighbors. I feel like I had to take it or else the ottos would. I'm not even that strong but for some reason no coalition has formed yet, I'm not going to question it. :v:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lol no one liked the old king

gently caress that guy I guess sinful bastard

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just called Tunis into a war with the Mamluks with a promise of land, intending to feed them the Mamluks' OPM ally Tripoli in Sirte and maybe a Mumluk province or two along the coast. They had Sirte set as a province of vital interest. When I sue for peace I can't give them Sirte (or anything else) because "Tunis does not want the land", but I lose trust because I'm not giving them any of the land they won't take. What.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

IIRC it converts you to Confucian automatically when you take the decision.

Yep I'm doing a Qing playthrough right now and it instantly converts you without converting any provinces.

It also, unless I wasn't paying attention, doesn't tell you about the conversion to Confucian, so surprise!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I just called Tunis into a war with the Mamluks with a promise of land, intending to feed them the Mamluks' OPM ally Tripoli in Sirte and maybe a Mumluk province or two along the coast. They had Sirte set as a province of vital interest. When I sue for peace I can't give them Sirte (or anything else) because "Tunis does not want the land", but I lose trust because I'm not giving them any of the land they won't take. What.

If an ally has a disproportionately high <war contribution> : <land offered> ratio compared to other allies, then they'll be mad. Steps to take:

1) Check to see which provinces they have claims on and which provinces they have marked as interesting
2) Try offering them all of those provinces
3) Now add all of the provinces you want to the peace deal
4) Start removing their of-interest provinces and giving yourself more
5) Once the ratio gets too out of whack, they'll be mad. Give them more land / take less land for yourself

Sometimes the AI doesn't have any claims and hasn't marked any provinces as interesting by the time that you're negotiating a peace. If their war contribution is high enough that they'll get mad at you for taking anything, then your only resort (if you care) is to not take any provinces at all and to just release nations, take money, etc. You can still get a lot of benefit from doing this. Keep in mind that their war exhaustion will be catastrophic if you just keep occupying them, and if you don't take any provinces then they don't gain the benefits of revanchism, so you can force them into a death spiral that makes your next conquest much easier (while still making it painful for others to swoop in because you've probably forced a bunch of rebel stacks to spawn while your truce timer is in effect)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

If an ally has a disproportionately high <war contribution> : <land offered> ratio compared to other allies, then they'll be mad. Steps to take:

1) Check to see which provinces they have claims on and which provinces they have marked as interesting
5) Once the ratio gets too out of whack, they'll be mad. Give them more land / take less land for yourself

Sometimes the AI doesn't have any claims and hasn't marked any provinces as interesting by the time that you're negotiating a peace. If their war contribution is high enough that they'll get mad at you for taking anything, then your only resort (if you care) is to not take any provinces at all and to just release nations, take money, etc. You can still get a lot of benefit from doing this. Keep in mind that their war exhaustion will be catastrophic if you just keep occupying them, and if you don't take any provinces then they don't gain the benefits of revanchism, so you can force them into a death spiral that makes your next conquest much easier (while still making it painful for others to swoop in because you've probably forced a bunch of rebel stacks to spawn while your truce timer is in effect)

I know how it works, I literally couldn't give them any land. As I said, they had Sirte marked as of vital importance but wouldn't take it in the peace deal (it was still marked at that time), and they marked nothing else that was part of the war.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 26, 2017

feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

What about just waiting for the ally to peace out themselves?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

If a spice island province contributes 0 overextension and I have it in a trade company anyway is there any reason to give it a territorial core even? Want to save the points.

Anyone? I at least figured out why it is 0 OE contribution, because of admin efficiency.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Who's occupying Sirte? That's hosed me over before.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Wafflecopper posted:

I literally just had this happen to me today, playing as Ethiopia, went to war with Ottomans, had Alodia as an ally. Alodia took Antioch and wouldn't give it up, but didn't actually want to take it because they couldn't core it. Wound up having to peace out without taking the last province I needed for Prester John. At least I got Constantinople out of it.

It was really stupid too because if they had given it up, it would have become another Coptic holy site meaning they'd get more benefit too. Oh well, next war it will be the first province I try to take if possible. Ottomans got wrecked this time and should be much easier pickings next time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Kulkasha posted:

Who's occupying Sirte? That's hosed me over before.

Tunis was.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Anyone? I at least figured out why it is 0 OE contribution, because of admin efficiency.

It gives you 0 OE because it was uncolonized at the start of the game. There isn't really a good reason to core it unless you want to make it into a state.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

I literally just had this happen to me today, playing as Ethiopia, went to war with Ottomans, had Alodia as an ally. Alodia took Antioch and wouldn't give it up, but didn't actually want to take it because they couldn't core it. Wound up having to peace out without taking the last province I needed for Prester John. At least I got Constantinople out of it.

It was really stupid too because if they had given it up, it would have become another Coptic holy site meaning they'd get more benefit too. Oh well, next war it will be the first province I try to take if possible. Ottomans got wrecked this time and should be much easier pickings next time.

Well I started getting this error that said "Can't copy backup" and now it turns out ive lost all this progress. At least I have a chance of trying the war again, I just hope I figure out everything else I lost because of this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chin Strap posted:

Well I started getting this error that said "Can't copy backup" and now it turns out ive lost all this progress. At least I have a chance of trying the war again, I just hope I figure out everything else I lost because of this.

I keep getting this error all the time now. When this happens, go to your save folder, backup whatever save you have there that is still > 0KB (usually whatever_Backup.eu4), quit the game, and reload from that save.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Eej posted:

I keep getting this error all the time now. When this happens, go to your save folder, backup whatever save you have there that is still > 0KB (usually whatever_Backup.eu4), quit the game, and reload from that save.

Unfortunately I didn't realize that my main save wasn't resaving, and I just kept ignoring the error, so everything past when that error first happened wasn't getting saved at all. Couple of hours of play.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Trying to get the 4 South American CN's achievement for Mali and my damned idiot colony's AI keeps declaring war on France's colonies, dragging me into massive wars alone against France and all her allies (Spain, Papal States, Denmark) and I have no way to not join the war (there is no event or prompt to even tell me the war has started so I dont even notice I'm at war for a month)

Is there no way to refuse the call to arms? If not then the AI for CN's makes it nearly impossible to play as a minor colonizer because this keeps happening every 10-30 years. It would be really nice if the AI would either ask for your blessing to go to war with a major power stronger than you or at the very least consider the strength of the overlord and their alliances before starting and/or escalating a war.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chin Strap posted:

Unfortunately I didn't realize that my main save wasn't resaving, and I just kept ignoring the error, so everything past when that error first happened wasn't getting saved at all. Couple of hours of play.

Don't feel bad, I followed the instructions of "deleting the save and backup save" without actually backing up a save and then quit the game making me lose an incredibly good This Is Persia run.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

Trying to get the 4 South American CN's achievement for Mali and my damned idiot colony's AI keeps declaring war on France's colonies, dragging me into massive wars alone against France and all her allies (Spain, Papal States, Denmark) and I have no way to not join the war (there is no event or prompt to even tell me the war has started so I dont even notice I'm at war for a month)

Is there no way to refuse the call to arms? If not then the AI for CN's makes it nearly impossible to play as a minor colonizer because this keeps happening every 10-30 years. It would be really nice if the AI would either ask for your blessing to go to war with a major power stronger than you or at the very least consider the strength of the overlord and their alliances before starting and/or escalating a war.

The only thing I can think of is to try to replace their governor with a diplomat and hope that he's a bit more pacific about it than the last guy. And yeah this is a huge loving pain in the rear end, but it has one good side. The length of war is calculated from when the colony started the war and it only escalates when war score goes up to 25% i think so if you're lucky and the war takes a long time than you can easily peace out France's allies and then begin to lay into France as hard as you can.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy poo poo Russia is fun. Constant war forever, I ate the livonian order and almost all of Lithuania, my truce with them is almost over and soon I will destroy them for good. Just getting started on colonizing siberia and finally making money, vassalized Georgia and as soon as the Ottomans get in some stupid war I shall feed them to Georgia and reclaim Crimea. In between these bigger wars I grab some horde lands. Still haven't got colonialism and the printing press just spawned though, I guess I am going to be a backwards nation for a few decades more :v:

E: screenie from a few decades ago just before forming Russia, the Ottomans must be pretty distracted by something else for not noticing me here. "So who are those guys north of Crimea? Seems to be a poo poo ton of them" "Beats me, let's go back to conquering Egypt"

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 26, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Exploit your backwardness by going after someone even more backward! Dash south through Central Eurasia, conquer India, watch as your manpower soars to new and increasingly implausible heights.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I may try a game as Muscovy/Russia where I dont colonize except with the National Idea colonist and focus on conquering West and/or South. I say this because every time I focus on colonizing Siberia I get to the Pacific then shortly get tired of managing my trans-continental empire and worrying about moving my armies back-and-forth to fight Lithuania then China then Sweden then Mongolia. Maybe I'll do something strange and go Innovative + Quality + Offensive to use the policies to make Space Marine Russians.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think Russia might be one of the few countries that it's not super hard to get the 1,000,000 manpower achievement? I've got a great Russia game in the mid-1600s where I'm pushing strongly into India with Persia as a march and managed to PU a large Commonwealth after their electoral government ends.

By the way, pro-move for any large European nations: get a ruler of your dynasty on the electoral throne of Poland/Commonwealth shortly before 1600. A few years after 1600 the event that ends their electoral kingdom fires, since electoral kings start middle-aged that means you'll have an heirless, old ruler of your own dynasty on the throne and can claim their throne and enforce a PU or you might get lucky and have it happen peacefully.

It's an almost-guaranteed opportunity to enforce a PU on them.

edit: and yeah I think it's better to just take Expansion as a fourth idea pick or no colonizing ideas at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

By the way, pro-move for any large European nations: get a ruler of your dynasty on the electoral throne of Poland/Commonwealth shortly before 1600. A few years after 1600 the event that ends their electoral kingdom fires, since electoral kings start middle-aged that means you'll have an heirless, old ruler of your own dynasty on the throne and can claim their throne and enforce a PU or you might get lucky and have it happen peacefully.
I am going to have to try this.

Pellisworth posted:

edit: and yeah I think it's better to just take Expansion as a fourth idea pick or no colonizing ideas at all.
Yeah I think took Exploration second or something the past few times I tried and it just got so tedious so quick. They have great NIs and a fun starting position so doing something different should be fun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know it would be really loving cool if the AI didn't break royal marriages at the drop of a hat. Especially AI vassals, who apparently break the marriage the second that they go above 50% liberty desire.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

You know it would be really loving cool if the AI didn't break royal marriages at the drop of a hat. Especially AI vassals, who apparently break the marriage the second that they go above 50% liberty desire.
I think it would be nice if the lesser partners in PUs didnt ruin my country's opinion of theirs by spying on me non-stop because their lord is my rival. Now game mechanics mean I cant break Hungary out of its PU with England or Austria out of its PU with Commonwealth, because my country hates Hungary and Austria. If my country didnt have negative opinions of those lesser partners, I could offer to help them earn their freedom.

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I lucked out on that one in my current game, Sweden backed off on constantly spying on me. Maybe because they hated Denmark's guts for going Protestant?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm thinking this African Power run is looking like a bust.

I've been making constant steady expansion, and snatching all the important islands and pieces of lands before Europeans colonize them, but I don't think it has been enough. Spain is allied to France, and they are both huge. Spain got all of Aragon and Naples. France has taken every single bit of their part of the continent, and they're confident enough to chew into the HRE. The Ottomans are big, as usual, and have 150% more of my force limit. On top of that they're allied to Tlemcen, which I would need to conquer as well for the achievement. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is it just FUBAR at this point?

I'm not sure too much about what I would do different next time. I was expanding steadily, I took the Congo region fairly quickly. A big mistake, to my surprise, was taking Trade as an idea group, I only have a 30 ducat a month income from Trade, while Tax is twice that. I figured the Ivory Coast would have netted me tons more cash. And I think Defensive would have been more appropriate than Offensive here, because Africa is a poor continent, and you need all the money saving ideas you can get (Fort and Land maintenance in this case.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Node posted:

I've been making constant steady expansion, and snatching all the important islands and pieces of lands before Europeans colonize them, but I don't think it has been enough. Spain is allied to France, and they are both huge. Spain got all of Aragon and Naples. France has taken every single bit of their part of the continent, and they're confident enough to chew into the HRE. The Ottomans are big, as usual, and have 150% more of my force limit. On top of that they're allied to Tlemcen, which I would need to conquer as well for the achievement. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is it just FUBAR at this point?

I'm not sure too much about what I would do different next time. I was expanding steadily, I took the Congo region fairly quickly. A big mistake, to my surprise, was taking Trade as an idea group, I only have a 30 ducat a month income from Trade, while Tax is twice that. I figured the Ivory Coast would have netted me tons more cash. And I think Defensive would have been more appropriate than Offensive here, because Africa is a poor continent, and you need all the money saving ideas you can get (Fort and Land maintenance in this case.)

Achievement runs aren't over till 1820 yo. You got almost 150 years to get this poo poo done.

Trade is fine for your run. Since you don't dominate the Ivory Coast you should conquer up the east coast of Africa and dominate Zanzibar. You already own Cape so no one will diminish your power in Zimbabwe. Use light ships and all those extra Merchants from Trade to direct all the trade coming in from India to Zanzibar and strangle trade going into Europe.

Whenever Russia makes its way and touches the Ottomans you can probably get into an alliance with them and double team them. In the meantime, you can conquer the horn and then cut through the Arabian peninsula towards India to make more money/manpower for your inevitable showdown with the Ottomans/Spain/France. Totally doable, just expand in the direction of least resistance.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

That's weird, I don't recall ever seeing the AI break a royal marriage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

That's weird, I don't recall ever seeing the AI break a royal marriage.

It's mostly the thing with vassals, which is really frustrating since RMs are supposed to be a way to keep liberty desire down. The way it works out is that they reduce liberty desire when you don't need it, but you can't get one when you need to reduce liberty desire.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I may try a game as Muscovy/Russia where I dont colonize except with the National Idea colonist and focus on conquering West and/or South. I say this because every time I focus on colonizing Siberia I get to the Pacific then shortly get tired of managing my trans-continental empire and worrying about moving my armies back-and-forth to fight Lithuania then China then Sweden then Mongolia. Maybe I'll do something strange and go Innovative + Quality + Offensive to use the policies to make Space Marine Russians.

I think I am going pretty standard with my ideas, I went religious first up to the +3% missionary strength, then filled out defensive, and then got expansion just for the colonist and merchant to get started on siberia. I plan to leave both unfinished using adm points to keep up with inflation, coring and stability and backfill when I am bigger and more up to par with institutions. Trade is next up because I can see I will need a ton of merchants and other dip ideas don't seem immediately useful (also two 0 dip rulers in a row and annexing vassals means I am even more backwards in dip tech, I need to catch up asap to avoid crippling corruption)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

Do either France or Spain have any weaker allies who you could attack? No-CB declaring is totally fine in this case, just stack some extra admin

For Ottomans (and the others) you just need to keep expanding. Build your force limit through expansion into East Africa and South America, build your income through expansion into East Africa and Malacca. Colonization also helps with these goals. Dominate the Zanzibar trade node, move your trade capital there, and then build a trade fleet and send a merchant to steer all of that crazy valuable trade value into Zanzibar from Malacca.

Since Ottomans are butting up against Tlemcen, their alliance might not last. You might also be able to bully Tlemcen with Break Alliance; your truce with them is about as long as their truce with the Ottomans will be, so you've got to be really careful and get the war declared before the alliance can be re-established (but possibly breaking the alliance will do enough to their relations that Ottomans will not want to be-restablish it)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
since he's got the ivory coast locked down, wouldn't it be safe enough to set the cape as his trade capital? or am i misunderstanding something about trade?

Xinder fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 27, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xinder posted:

since he's got the ivory coast locked down, wouldn't it be safe enough to set the cape as his trade capital? or am i misunderstanding something about trade?

Yes, Cape is better if you control Ivory Coast.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Node posted:

I got African Power this patch, my openers were Exploration for the early colonist/locking down the Cape/trying to snipe colonialism, Economic for the money and because the finisher is great for seeding institutions, and Defensive for both the money saving and because Africa is an attrition soaked hellhole.

One word of advice I have is after you take the Kongo region, no-cb into East Africa for a vassal. I grabbed Mutapa around 1510 and fed them everything I could, which let me concentrate my colonist around securing the Cape while still giving me expansion opportunities. If you're going for the Hoarder achievement too you should probably do the same in the Guinea area, I missed it by taking too long and by the time I started expanding into the area fetishism had been wiped out.

Xinder posted:

Looking at my completed file I could have moved to the Cape and made slightly more but once I shifted to Zanzibar I never moved it again. Once everything's locked down I don't see any problem with it.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
I thought you wanted your Trade Capital as far downstream as possible to maximize trade income? I'm new to the game so I might not understand. I would think that since Cape is completely locked down you'd want to maximize power in Zanzibar (and points east) and route the trade around the Cape and then collect in Ivory Coast to take advantage of the multiplier from daisy chaining multiple nodes. It's basically just one step removed from what Portugal or Spain would be trying to do in a traditional colonization run where they'd run Ivory Coast into Seville.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gleri posted:

I thought you wanted your Trade Capital as far downstream as possible to maximize trade income? I'm new to the game so I might not understand. I would think that since Cape is completely locked down you'd want to maximize power in Zanzibar (and points east) and route the trade around the Cape and then collect in Ivory Coast to take advantage of the multiplier from daisy chaining multiple nodes. It's basically just one step removed from what Portugal or Spain would be trying to do in a traditional colonization run where they'd run Ivory Coast into Seville.
The problem is often that Euros have power in nodes upstream from Ivory Coast (Seville, Bordeaux, English Channel) and pull value from Ivory Coast up to those nodes imply by having tons of power in those nodes. By collecting in Cape when you control most of Ivory Coast, other powers do not have tons of power to use to pull your value on to other nodes.

This is why people often lock down the Cape and then collect in Zanzibar. If I have 100% of the Cape, no one has provincial power pulling trade away from my Zanzibar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Eej posted:

Don't feel bad, I followed the instructions of "deleting the save and backup save" without actually backing up a save and then quit the game making me lose an incredibly good This Is Persia run.

Yuck :( My error turned out for the best because I made sure to seige Antioch first this time and got Prester John finally.

In the three games I've played so far, I've found the funniest thing to do to the Ottomans each time is to just take Constantinople even without it touching anything else of mine contiguously. If I have the war score I take all 4 provinces needed to clog up the land straights. Is this a pro strat or am I being dumb? It just seems to ruin the Ottomans right quick when they lose Constantinople.

• Locked thread