Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Reporting in to say I went to my first Modern event in like 10 months on Saturday and I took Elves, which I can see now (and don't know why I didn't see before) is horribly positioned in the meta. Went 0-3 losing to Burn, Sultai (Tarmogoyf + Fatal Push + Snapcaster Mage), and, ugh, Restore Balance.

Anyway, that means it's as good a time as any to get back into "WB Tokens with No Bitterblossom No Liliana" and get on board the Fatal Push train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

So you're saying continue to jam bogles all day erryday?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm gonna put BU back together but I Don't have the lands :(

Boooooo. There's a new player at our store building UB Mill and it's very heart-warming to see, I sat with him in between rounds last month and gave him some pointers on what to pick up :3: He keeps putting money into Ensnaring Bridges which is probably a good bet long-term and if he wants cards he can put into other decks but ehhhhhhhhhhhh I've never liked it in Mill.

If you can, pick up a few Yahenni's Expertise and let me know how they work out for you. I haven't been able to fully test it yet but I feel like it'll be really good in the deck, wiping out little guys + free mill spell seems really good. Once I get mine they're going in the spot where I have Night of Soul's Betrayal right now.

Boco_T posted:

Anyway, that means it's as good a time as any to get back into "WB Tokens with No Bitterblossom No Liliana" and get on board the Fatal Push train.

Hey I have this too, I should actually sleeve it up instead of picking up all of the cards and letting them sit in a pile unused and unsleeved :v:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

C-Euro posted:

Hey I have this too, I should actually sleeve it up instead of picking up all of the cards and letting them sit in a pile unused and unsleeved :v:
I'll keep working on my list in Deckbox so you can see it.

If the meta is BG decks and Affinity and Burn, it is in quite a good position. I mean it loses 100% of the time to Tron and I'm betting the Eldrazi match-up also stinks, but Modern's always rock-paper-scissors so you just have to depend on your luck.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I have a theory that people who play Modern gravitate to whatever their first formative Standard deck was. That's my only explanation for why I want to play that deck, INN/RTR was just after when I got back into the game, and Sphinx's Revelation/Nephalia Drownyard control was my weapon of choice.
My formative standard deck was Runeflare trap, but I have never even considered playing the time warp deck. I did play a ton of storm in modern though, so at least the colors were the same. I tried to make runeflare trap work, but the format is too fast for it.
I am also convinced to this day that Runeflare trap was the best deck in ALA/ZEN standard. It has exceptional winrates vs Jund and U/W control. It was just a massive dog to vampires and RDW.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boco_T posted:

I'll keep working on my list in Deckbox so you can see it.

If the meta is BG decks and Affinity and Burn, it is in quite a good position. I mean it loses 100% of the time to Tron and I'm betting the Eldrazi match-up also stinks, but Modern's always rock-paper-scissors so you just have to depend on your luck.

I've beaten Eldrazi with it before because we can get away with maindecking Ghost Quarter. You need to be playing at least 2-3 (and probably surgical in the SB) in order to have any chance against them.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I've been running 2 Ghost Quarter in my WB manabase for years at this point, glad to see that supporting evidence is bearing me out. And it'll be even easier in 2017 since I can put Concealed Courtyard in the deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is Hidden Stockpile good enough for BW Tokens? Note: I do not own Bitterblossoms.

Also enables Fatal Push, fwiw.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Some people on Salvation were saying it did some work against control but I don't really think it does enough. If it triggered on both turns it would be a lot better of course. I might try a one-of.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have it penciled in as a two-of, card selection that partially refuels itself seems good and it's also a bit of insurance for combat. I wish it triggered on each end step instead of just your own though.

Boco_T posted:

My meta is all over the place since we're on a three-week rotation with Standard and Pauper or EDH. I've seen no Burn, one Eldrazi guy, and the only Tron I've seen in U-Tron. That said I should put my Surgicals in the SB, I love that card (plus I run Ghost Quarters too).

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
If you don't want to shell out for bitterblossoms you could probably get away with hidden stockpile as a slightly worse sidegrade. It's literally 100 times cheaper.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a good modern esper narset list?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

So you're saying continue to jam bogles all day erryday?

i mean if you want to win matches of modern for some reason it's probably pretty good right now. to actually answer your question there isn't really anything interesting for bogles lately. the flash enchantments guy seems a little loose since im not trying to get into combat with your pants'd up man in any meaningful way so i don't think you'll "get" anyone. best case is eating up a sweeper with one of the totem armor ones i guess

e: does anyone play ponza? elves and stompy are horrendous right now and they banned probe so i can't play my thing in the ice deck. ponza seems kinda good if people are going to be on 3 color midrange

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 24, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

would Bogles play more Kor Spiritdancers? Sram is a bad Kor Spiritdancer in that deck, I guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

e: does anyone play ponza? elves and stompy are horrendous right now and they banned probe so i can't play my thing in the ice deck. ponza seems kinda good if people are going to be on 3 color midrange

I really want to since I own the lands and the finishers are all really cheap but I don't want to buy $40 Blood Moons, at least not with all of the other crap I want to build (and never play) right now :negative:

Paging GoutPatrol to the thread, I think he posted a list not too long ago.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i've been playing it with eldritch evolutions for getting magus of the moon and then going up the chain for the finishers, with the madcap experiments/plantium emperion sideboard plan. it's, at the least, very funny

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

I really want to since I own the lands and the finishers are all really cheap but I don't want to buy $40 Blood Moons, at least not with all of the other crap I want to build (and never play) right now :negative:

Paging GoutPatrol to the thread, I think he posted a list not too long ago.

After playing it for a while I've gotten really bored with it. When there isn't alot of variation of deck styles at my store I also didn't want to bore people playing me as well. I ended up playing most of the same stuff in the Sudden Reclamation/Valakut deck.

I didn't play Magus or the Madcap combo as well. It does very well against Jund/Junk builds but that is the same for every single RG ramp style deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Blood Moon seems like a good target for a reprint in MM17

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I ended up playing most of the same stuff in the Sudden Reclamation/Valakut deck.

I've been slowly putting this together too but waiting before I bring it out, hopefully with the GGT ban there will less GY hate floating around (and that Loams will go down in price since I need a few more)

E: By "same stuff" do you mean you're running the fatties from Ponza or something?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 24, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

would Bogles play more Kor Spiritdancers? Sram is a bad Kor Spiritdancer in that deck, I guess.

Absolutely not.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

I've been slowly putting this together too but waiting before I bring it out, hopefully with the GGT ban there will less GY hate floating around (and that Loams will go down in price since I need a few more)

E: By "same stuff" do you mean you're running the fatties from Ponza or something?

I'm talking about lands/SB tech mostly. Finks/Thrun/Baloths.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Anyone have a good modern esper narset list?

https://deckbox.org/sets/1606353

If you have the cards

Mainboard
-1 seachrome coast
+1 mystic gate

Sideboard
-1 blood baron
+1 baneslayer angel

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Molybdenum posted:

If you have the cards

Mainboard
-1 seachrome coast
+1 mystic gate

Sideboard
-1 blood baron
+1 baneslayer angel

Cool. Any tournament reports or good/bad things to say about it? I just need snaps to build it. Have you tried the non-walker build for comparison?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

After not playing paper (outside of an occasional draft) since 2003-2005, I come into this thread every couple years to marvel. Blood Moon and Ensnaring Bridge are in the 30-50 goddamn US dollars tier.

Last time I visited there was a lot of discussion about Chinese forgeries getting scary good, how's that front?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've played it for 3 weeks, 4 rounds each tourney, 2-2, 3-1, 3-0-1.

This list is updated to include fatal push. Rebounding esper charm with narset feels really dirty.

I usually side out narset and Gideon jura to bring in geist or hate.

I may swap Gideon jura out for Sorin, solemn visitor. Jura hasn't impressed me as much as Sorin has.

Edit: have not played the nonwalker version. A guy at my store does and he goes to time a lot.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
More lovely cards I want to play in Modern:

Doran, the Siege Tower
Earthquake in Skred Red

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Molybdenum posted:

If you have the cards

Mainboard
-1 seachrome coast
+1 mystic gate

Sideboard
-1 blood baron
+1 baneslayer angel

This is cool but man a lot of random cards spiked while I wasn't looking. Countersquall is $5?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Star Man posted:

More lovely cards I want to play in Modern:

Doran, the Siege Tower

I gotchu fam, though this hasn't been updated for awhile.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nosre posted:

After not playing paper (outside of an occasional draft) since 2003-2005, I come into this thread every couple years to marvel. Blood Moon and Ensnaring Bridge are in the 30-50 goddamn US dollars tier.

Last time I visited there was a lot of discussion about Chinese forgeries getting scary good, how's that front?

They're always getting better but generally on SA expect to talk about how to spot them not where to get them. They're still illegal.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
first stab at adjusting this list to the new meta:
MB:
-1 glissa
-1 grim flayer
-1 looter scooter
+1 TNN
+1 Fatal Push
+1 Jittay

SB:
-1 glissa
-1 executioner's capsule
-1 looter scooter
+2 fatal push
+1 SoFI

It's pretty great that tap top enables revolt; I will probably go up to 2. This is starting to look like Reid Duke 3Drops with vials, but, drat it, I was playing this months before he published that list! Turns out Leovold is good.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 26, 2017

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
also I tried to buy $35 in tix today and bought $351 by mistake, so... time to start buying power?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

also I tried to buy $35 in tix today and bought $351 by mistake, so... time to start buying power?

Aren't they dumping MTGO within a year for the new thing?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Aren't they dumping MTGO within a year for the new thing?

wait what? I assume that if there are paradigm changes they'll find a way to port stuff over / cash people out, or there would be mass mutiny.

my total MTGO portfolio is worth less than I will spend on beer in the next year so I'm not too concerned, though I am an object-oriented alcoholic

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Tim Raines IRL posted:

wait what? I assume that if there are paradigm changes they'll find a way to port stuff over / cash people out, or there would be mass mutiny.

my total MTGO portfolio is worth less than I will spend on beer in the next year so I'm not too concerned, though I am an object-oriented alcoholic

Functional alcoholism will have fewer side effects on your life.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

first stab at adjusting this list to the new meta:
MB:
-1 glissa
-1 grim flayer
-1 looter scooter
+1 TNN
+1 Fatal Push
+1 Jittay

SB:
-1 glissa
-1 executioner's capsule
-1 looter scooter
+2 fatal push
+1 SoFI

It's pretty great that tap top enables revolt; I will probably go up to 2. This is starting to look like Reid Duke 3Drops with vials, but, drat it, I was playing this months before he published that list! Turns out Leovold is good.

poo poo like this makes me wish I had any Legacy scene at all around here. This deck is extremely silly.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

uninverted posted:

Functional alcoholism will have fewer side effects on your life.

I'm really glad someone chimed in with that

C-Euro posted:

poo poo like this makes me wish I had any Legacy scene at all around here. This deck is extremely silly.
Yeah, it's the only thing I miss about living near DC. My LGS is talking about trying to get monthly 16-proxy tournaments going, I hope it happens.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm really glad someone chimed in with that

Yeah, it's the only thing I miss about living near DC. My LGS is talking about trying to get monthly 16-proxy tournaments going, I hope it happens.

drat, 16 proxy legacy is pretty sweet. We have 15 proxy vintage out here which already feels borderline free for me as a legacy player.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Just keep it on the low. Wizards was acting like they cared about that like a year ago.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Snacksmaniac posted:

Just keep it on the low. Wizards was acting like they cared about that like a year ago.

I mean they'd find it if they cared, they don't make a secret of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Tim Raines IRL posted:

All of the value is either in redemption for paper which they only do for the new sets or secondary market. If their new thing kills either, value of digital cards will crater and go bye bye.

Wizards themselves won't cash people out at what the cards are "worth" because those are secondary market prices. I cashed out because I couldn't risk losing all that value. I miss it but I like that money more.

If I'm wrong I can always buy back in. If I'm right, I dodged a bullet.