Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Cool Buff Man posted:

Carmelo quote of the night for last night: "I don't think I'm the only playmaker in the league."

Full quote:

"You ask me a question if he thinks I’d want to play with him?’’ Anthony said. “Yes. I do think he’d want me to play with him. I don’t think he wouldn’t. But I don’t know if that comment was about me. I don’t think I’m the only playmaker in the NBA.’’

I'm trying to imagine if Tony Snell was still there.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I feel like pretending that Dwyane Wade is the problem in Chicago is kind of dumb. He is very clearly their second best player, even if he's lost a step.

Well I suppose that is the problem; that old Dwayne Wade who has lost his step in the 2nd best player, but that's the rest of the bull's fault, not Dwyane's Like I suppose you could make the argument he takes too many shots but who the gently caress is going to take those shots?

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 26, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Cool Buff Man posted:

Are you serious
*Gerald Wallace and Andrea Bargnani's ears perk up*

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wade isn't the problem but he probably shouldn't be treating everyone else like they are all Mario Chalmers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Wade isn't the problem but he probably shouldn't be treating everyone else like they are all Mario Chalmers

Chalmers would get 28mpg on this Bulls team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

2011-2013 Mario Chalmers would be the 3rd best player by WS/48. 2nd if you don't count Small Sample Size All-Star Cristiano Felicio.

I know it's not that simple or meaningful, but quite literally everyone on the bulls outside of Wade, Butler and maybe Taj Gibson are really, really, bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

2011-2013 Mario Chalmers would be the 3rd best player by WS/48. 2nd if you don't count Small Sample Size All-Star Cristiano Felicio.

I know it's not that simple or meaningful, but quite literally everyone on the bulls outside of Wade, Butler and maybe Taj Gibson are really, really, bad.

Taj has been good, Rolo has been alright. Even McDermott has been a decent enough role player for what he is. The rest of the team is in rough shape, and they are not playing together very well. An Anti-Spurs, the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously I unironically looked up what Chalmers was doing nowadays in December. I would kill to have Mario Chalmers on this team.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Same

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Chalmers winning the hearts of Memphis fans after he was a public enemy for so long was truly heartwarming and it was tragic that he got injured and had to be released shortly afterwards

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is Mario just done after his injury? I feel like there are a few teams who could use him as a backup.

If the Cavs tried to sign him would LeBron fire David Griffin?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's not that Chalmers was bad, it was just that he was blamed and yelled at all the time even when it wasn't his fault. Having one guy on the team you can blame for everything works but you can't target the whole team

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 26, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

WhyteRyce posted:

Cavs could really use Darren Collison... Can they trade is all their picks in the 2020 decade for him???

That really would not be a bad acquisition, but Collison would probably pout that he's not starting though. He did that with the Pacers when we acquired George Hill. I do wish he was on our roster though. He's way better than Rodney Stuckey.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

I have no idea what point your trying to make.

I think this is probably right. I'm not arguing whether or not he's a good fit for the 76ers, I'm just arguing that the statement "Okafor is worthless" is pretty false. When they decide to move him, they'll find interest.

But you are misquoting and mischaracterizing what I said. I said he isn't worth anything right now and suggested that they should keep him because he might have more value if he can address some of his deficiencies.

euphronius posted:

Moving to my opinion :

Okafor is not long for the team. He has talent and a future in the league no doubt. But his defense is woeful (except for being average at rim protection), his rebounding is like he's asleep, he has no outside shot, barely draws fouls, and only sometimes plays in the flow of the offense. He's a project.

I don't need a project at back up center.

He also just turned 21 and is on a rookie deal for another 3 years after this season. The way Jojo plays, he is going to miss games so there will be opportunities to showcase Okafor. I don't think the return the Sixers would get for him now is worth missing out on the chance that they could get a lot more for him in the future.

I agree that I don't want him as a backup center, especially when it means Richaun Holmes is relegated to the bench because I think Holmes is a great fit for the Sixers/Embiid despite his new haircut.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 26, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
On Nerlens Noel, is there a chance the Sixers could do a sign-and-trade with him? I don't think he's a max contract guy, but isn't there another advantage to a sign-and-trade for the receiving team in terms of how many years they can offer him on a new deal? I'm not really sure how that works.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2 more years.

I don't want to be wasting minutes developing back up centers. Get a back up center and move on. Sixers are already going to be developing Simmons and this years picks plus Embiid.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Center is actually the position where it makes the most sense to use a young player on a rookie deal than a vet.

Anyone that's 7' and has a pulse gets a Biyombo-like deal in the NBA. You can either have Biyombo for $17m or Okafor for $6m. Most GMs are going to pick Okafor 9 times out of 10.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm fine with a rookie deal back up center provided they rebound and move their feet on defense.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Center is actually the position where it makes the most sense to use a young player on a rookie deal than a vet.

Anyone that's 7' and has a pulse gets a Biyombo-like deal in the NBA. You can either have Biyombo for $17m or Okafor for $6m. Most GMs are going to pick Okafor 9 times out of 10.

Well the difference is that a lot of gms would rather pay Biyombo 17 million over giving a 1st rounder for Okafor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also With okafor at 6 mill you still need a back up center so I'm not following your example.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

2 more years.

I don't want to be wasting minutes developing back up centers. Get a back up center and move on. Sixers are already going to be developing Simmons and this years picks plus Embiid.

They already have a back-up center: Richaun Holmes. But you probably responded before I edited my previous post to include him in the discussion.

I think we mostly agree, but I just think it would be kind of crazy to give up Okafor for next to nothing now when he's so young and many of his problems spring from his lack of athleticism. He may still grow into his body. Coming off a knee injury/surgery, I don't think he had a lot of time in this past offseason to improve his physical condition.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Trade deadline is in roughly one month. Has there been a single trade made this season? Usually you see one or two late fall or early winter shuffles or shake ups. Literally nothing so far that I can recall.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Libertine posted:

Trade deadline is in roughly one month. Has there been a single trade made this season? Usually you see one or two late fall or early winter shuffles or shake ups. Literally nothing so far that I can recall.

Korver got traded

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Libertine posted:

Korver was the biggest one so far (and coincides nicely with the cavs starting to suck)

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I would trade Demarre Carroll and five wins for 5 loses and a corpse if it meant I no longer have to watch him brick 3s

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WhyteRyce posted:

Malachi has basically stolen McLemore's token 10-12mpg duty. He's already more productive than McLemore because he isn't terrified of having to make decisions out there and has no issues with chucking up the ball. I'm starting to like the pick more because we could use our own Nick Young

It's amazing what actually knowing where to go and what to do on a basketball court will do for a player.

A shame McLemore never figured it out. We'll always have the dunk contest, Ben, where you did what no Kings player could ever do: dunk over Shaq.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Libertine posted:

Philly and OKC swapped Ersan Ilyasova and a top 20 protected 2020 first for Jerami Grant like 3 games into the season. Seems like there's a few teams who could be really active (Denver Sacramento) that need to wait and see where they stand in terms of the 8 seed before they figure out if they're buyers or sellers. Other teams who seem likely to make a move or two purely based on their roster and standing IMO: Detroit, Phoenix, Portland, Orlando, apparently Cleveland.

also, to clarify the details of the simultaneous Jazz-OKC-Detroit trade: Kanter was traded to OKC for OKC's 2018 lotto protected 1st, Kendrick Perkins' expiring, and the rights to Tibor Pleiss. OKC sent Reggie Jackson to Detroit for Singler and Augustin. And the Pistons and Jazz swapped some future second rounders to make the trade salary cap legal because the deal had to be simultaneous given the salaries being swapped and all teams involved in a deal have to "touch".

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 26, 2017

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

dokmo posted:

Would you like to play a little game? I made two videos, each showing ten different 3pt attempts by JR Smith, first shown in real time, then repeated twice in slow motion. The clips cut off before the ball goes into the basket (specifically, the clips cut off one second after the ball leaves his hands). Each of the videos shows JR Smith making or missing exactly eight out of the ten attempts. I want you to guess which of the videos is the one where he makes 8.

The idea behind this is, can people tell if the ball is going in or not just by looking at a player's form? I'd like to get a bunch of responses to I can do some analysis. PM me which video contains the 8 made shots, video 1 or 2, or email me at dokmosa@gmail.com, or answer here if you want.

Video 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcl3VeFl0o

Video 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllbPAusrvE

He makes 8 in video 1. I think it's relatively easy to tell from the ball trajectory. Now that I said that he probably made 8/10 in video 2

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one knowing what's in the cba probably put a damper on trades.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

euphronius posted:

Ah yeah I forgot about the Cavs trade. I want more trades though, they need to figure this poo poo out.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Philly and OKC swapped Ersan Ilyasova and a top 20 protected 2020 first for Jerami Grant like 3 games into the season. Seems like there's a few teams who could be really active (Denver Sacramento) that need to wait and see where they stand in terms of the 8 seed before they figure out if they're buyers or sellers. Other teams who seem likely to make a move or two purely based on their roster and standing IMO: Detroit, Phoenix, Portland, Orlando, apparently Cleveland.

also, to clarify the details of the simultaneous Jazz-OKC-Detroit trade: Kanter was traded to OKC for OKC's 2018 lotto protected 1st, Kendrick Perkins' expiring, and the rights to Tibor Pleiss. OKC sent Reggie Jackson to Detroit for Singler and Augustin. And the Pistons and Jazz swapped some future second rounders to make the trade salary cap legal because the deal had to be simultaneous given the salaries being swapped and all teams involved in a deal have to "touch".

God bless presti

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

The new CBA was already ratified, they know whats in it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Yo the point of sending him the email was so people don't influence other people's answers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Honestly, if you're going to follow a 38-win team, why not the never-ending dysfunctional soap opera team where there's always something happening. The bulls own.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

The new CBA was already ratified, they know whats in it

I meant from October through it being agreed to and disseminated

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Joe Ingles should spend Australia/Invasion day dropping 50 points on the Lakers IMO.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's the best YMCA player in the league by far

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Brandon pre Achilles post Smoove was a beautiful juniper scented lively two weeks

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Vince Carter is 40 today.

I feel old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Carmelo discovering his actual basketball value must be a bit depressing.

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/824671371741560833

• Locked thread