Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

YouTube is all kinds of wonky lately. In addition to what you guys are describing above, the app essentially stopped proceeding to next videos. Like I'll be watching a video and near the end it'll pop up the little "next video in 2 seconds..." window, but then it'll just dump me back at he video list instead of proceeding to the actual video it previewed.

Very lame. I hope they fix their poo poo soon, especially since there's no good way to quickly visit channels that you're not already subscribed to. If I see a video that looked appealing, I have to pull out the laptop, head to YouTube, try to find what video was teased, click it, then pull up the view history on my TV app and watch from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At one point I had a version of YouTube somehow that most didn't (maybe it rolled out in the UK tvOS build but not the US one) and it had a few useful features like playlist additions and voting, it might've had the ability to go to the channel a video came from too. It's odd that feature set just disappeared.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

At one point I had a version of YouTube somehow that most didn't (maybe it rolled out in the UK tvOS build but not the US one) and it had a few useful features like playlist additions and voting, it might've had the ability to go to the channel a video came from too. It's odd that feature set just disappeared.

I use the YT app daily and I can only say that it's the definition of "eh, good enough". Some of the feature omissions, like the ones you saw, are just utterly baffling to me. How can you not just make the channel a clickthrough in the slide-down menu? Baffling.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but this just feels like Google throwing out an app that's okay enough to keep me from finding a YT alternative, but not good enough to feature compete with an android STB.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Any recommendations for charging docks for Apple TV game controllers? The SteelSeries Nimbus specifically.

I picked up this one, but it's pretty bad -- the cable is only held in place by the rubber cap, and it gets pushed inside or gets pulled out when you plug or unplug. I imagine the best option is an iPhone dock that happens to fit a controller, but I haven't found any good ones that seem like they would work. They tend to be very short or have a slot that the phone fits into.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Martytoof posted:

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but this just feels like Google throwing out an app that's okay enough to keep me from finding a YT alternative, but not good enough to feature compete with an android STB.

It's Google throwing out an app that's Just Good Enough because the device doesn't have a browser, and thus can't run the web-based big picture mode that the Fire TV devices do.

I never owned an Apple TV prior to this gen, but it looked like a prior generation's ATV app running on ATV4 (Crunchyroll was doing the same thing until very recently), and system 10 broke it and YouTube can't be assed to write native apps for tvOS the same way they won't for the Windows 8/10 experience.

The Android TV client isn't even that amazing (I've sideloaded it onto a Fire TV successfully to play around with it) and the only widely available and supported Android TV device is the Xiaomi MiBox sold at Walmart, because the Nexus player went the same way as Nexus Q and Google Glass. It's less likely they're hobbling Apple to sell Xiaomi boxes and instead simply wish to make YouTube a universal web app. And Apple's "native code, please; no browser shortcuts" position means they'll always be on the slow circuit for client updates.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

It's Google throwing out an app that's Just Good Enough because the device doesn't have a browser, and thus can't run the web-based big picture mode that the Fire TV devices do.

I never owned an Apple TV prior to this gen, but it looked like a prior generation's ATV app running on ATV4 (Crunchyroll was doing the same thing until very recently), and system 10 broke it and YouTube can't be assed to write native apps for tvOS the same way they won't for the Windows 8/10 experience.

The Android TV client isn't even that amazing (I've sideloaded it onto a Fire TV successfully to play around with it) and the only widely available and supported Android TV device is the Xiaomi MiBox sold at Walmart, because the Nexus player went the same way as Nexus Q and Google Glass. It's less likely they're hobbling Apple to sell Xiaomi boxes and instead simply wish to make YouTube a universal web app. And Apple's "native code, please; no browser shortcuts" position means they'll always be on the slow circuit for client updates.

Yeah, I've always figured it was a least effort app to stop the majority of people from bitching about no app.

I just wish the ProTube guy (team?) would release a tvOS version.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
The latest update is quite annoying. I've disabled the TV button and returned it to bringing me back to the home screen. The annoying part comes with bugs. I don't know if others experience them.

1. Pressing menu while watching video returns you to the home screen instead of one level up in the app. I believe this was covered in this thread.

2. Skipping 3-6 times consecutively will cause the video to exit back to the menu (either app or home screen). This is if you're trying to skip like 40s or so by clicking the remote quickly.

Both of those issues didn't happen before the update, or if they did they were rare. They are now a very common occurrence in my experience. I've even factory reset and still the same issues. I've reported both to Apple.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What annoys the piss out of me is every time I turn the Apple TV (and my receiver) on, the receiver properly switches to the Apple TV. 10 secs later, it switches to the next input and I lose all sound. The knot thing that will switch it back is hitting the menu button and moving the cursor around. Happens every time I bring it out of sleep. So annoying.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's getting buggier with every update and I'm getting a little frustrated.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Im due to receive the current version of the apple tv tomorrow. I take it with the updates being buggy should I not update it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Mine seems to function ok, but I've basically only been using it for Netflix and DIRECTV Now. And the occasional cable channel app for a few archived episodes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ive had the 'menu goes back to main screen' issue a handful of times but it's not been a serious annoyance to be honest. I use it for Plex and YouTube plus a handful of other apps mainly, but it's used a lot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm not doubting it's doing it incorrectly for you guys, but a long press of the menu button is supposed to take you back to home, so a bug/malfunction there seems to maybe make some sense.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
This whole time I thought I kept hitting the home button in the dark while tired.

I like the appletv but also am frustrated with how buggy it's getting and the lack of support by some companies like Amazon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't had any problems with mine at all other than an HDCP issue in HBO Go that I haven't bothered to diagnose just yet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is there any way to see how much free space it has? The Manage thing shows how much each app takes, but I see no total.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What annoys the piss out of me is every time I turn the Apple TV (and my receiver) on, the receiver properly switches to the Apple TV. 10 secs later, it switches to the next input and I lose all sound. The knot thing that will switch it back is hitting the menu button and moving the cursor around. Happens every time I bring it out of sleep. So annoying.

Holy poo poo mine does the same. I thought my receiver was making GBS threads the bed. If I start and end a video it fixes itself. Most times I just hit the corresponding atv button on the receiver remote.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

milkaxor posted:

Holy poo poo mine does the same. I thought my receiver was making GBS threads the bed. If I start and end a video it fixes itself. Most times I just hit the corresponding atv button on the receiver remote.

My Apple TV doesn't do this but my cable box does. I've tried all combinations of settings over the years and I've pretty much just given up.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
I upgrade from an ATV3 to the ATV4, any must have have apps?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I upgrade from an ATV3 to the ATV4, any must have have apps?

The Reuters app.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I'm in NL, basically the only apps I've gotten that are any good are Netflix, Plex and NPO (our public broadcaster).

Feels like the ATV4 is falling short compared to what they could have achieved with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My most-used apps are (in no particular order):

Netflix
WatchESPN
Plex
Channels (though this is probably not very useful to a lot of people)
HBO Go

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My most used apps:

Plex
Channels
Netflix
YouTube
PBS Kids
Food Network
Reuters

I would've likely bought a ton more games if it had come with a discounted game controller ala steelseries.

Edit: and to anyone who heard of it/keeping tabs on it, the possibly-vaporware Channels DVR is likely no longer vaporware and will be in public beta this month. And from the sound of it, it'll be way better than the Plex DVR as it'll utilize the hardware in the ATV in addition to the NAS/Storage unit for playback.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 10, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's nice, but from what I can tell the Channels devs is one of those Marco Arment types that makes really great independent software for Apple platforms and nada for any other operating system. Plex's strength is being cross-platform, Apple TV's are expensive and there's not a lot of great options for Mac-based HTPC hardware.

And before anyone says "this is an Apple TV thread, why do you want support for other devices" I think the ATV4 is fine for your main TV but I wouldn't buy one for every room in my house.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I mean, it is the AppleTV thread so complaining about it not being cross-platform is kinda mute. I was tempted to post about it in the Cable Cutting thread but that's where your argument would be more valid.

Speaking of the Channels DVR vaporware, it was just released today in Public Beta. Details.

Some high points:
  • $8 monthly subscription
  • Season Passes for shows
  • Team Passes for specific sports teams (I've never heard of this kind of feature before. I don't record sports but it's kinda neat regardless)
  • Join a Recording in progress.
  • Controlled through the AppleTV
  • Requires some kind of always-on computing device (whether actual computer or NAS)
  • Supports PCs/NAS devices running macOS, Linux, QNAP, Synology, WDMyCloud, ReadyNAS, NAS OS, and unRaid. Device also needs at least a 1GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and at least 512MB hard drive.

I'm already in the Plex DVR beta so I'm eager to test it out. Since I do stream all my TV, I'm eager to check out how well the Channels DVR works. Plex works but my NAS isn't powerful enough to transcode on the fly to an AppleTV. I can get around this by optimizing the recording after they're done but it takes an hour or two depending on the length of the program. Channels is using the AppleTV to do most of the processing of the recording (whereas Plex it's all on the storage PC/NAS).

I will post my thoughts once I try it out tonight.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Thwomp posted:

I mean, it is the AppleTV thread so complaining about it not being cross-platform is kinda mute. I was tempted to post about it in the Cable Cutting thread but that's where your argument would be more valid.

I... I guess? Apple TV is a part of my cable DVR setup, and Channels is already a part of that. Tell us how it goes, $8/mo is steep but if it adds DRM support to Channels I could eventually see it.

And if the doors open for somebody to make a Kodi plugin for scheduling etc on the backend then it would be even better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My big hitters are:

YouTube
NHL
Plex
Netflix
NHK World -- great for "need audio in the background while I do xyz"
Provenance
Kodi
Channels

probably, in order of daily use.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Infuse is better than Plex imho

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Plex does have some issues but right now it's working well enough for me to not really want to put the effort into switching to another software.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Empress Brosephine posted:

Infuse is better than Plex imho

Infuse is good and I won't slag on it, but it does manage the whole database right there on the device so if you want syncing on multiple devices it's not going to do that.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Get the trailers app :dance:

Apps reinventing the player make me sad. I specifically talking about FilmStruck. It doesn't look good, they disabled FF/REW, and it is quite slow.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So here's my early impressions of the Channels DVR.

As a whole, the software is much, much more polished than the Plex DVR.

You can schedule recordings from within the app or from the webui. All the features I'd expect from a cable company DVR are present (record just new or all, how many to keep, start and end early, etc). You can schedule recordings from the channel grid or the Search tab (voice dictation makes this super easy). This is one of my major gripes with Plex since they don't have a channel grid and you can only schedule recordings from the web portal. Channels puts it all in the app on the TV so my wife instantly knows how it works.

My other major gripe with Plex's solution is the inability to join a recording already in progress. Last night, I was able to do just that with Channels. It took about 20-30 seconds to start playback but once it started, it played flawlessly. I did notice intermittent issues jumping forward and backwards though. Sometimes it was instantaneous, other times it took around 30 seconds to resume playback. Not sure what's happening there. I've yet to play back a recording that's already completed but I should have results from testing that soon. The DVR also has a built in commercial clipper for completed recordings I've yet to test.

Setting up the software on my NAS wasn't quite as smooth as I thought it would be. Once installed on your PC/NAS, you'll get a prompt on your AppleTV to go to a webui to access the DVR software. It'll make sure you're subscribed and it had some trouble at first syncing up my subscription. But it took less than 5 minutes for the Channels' service to relay my current subscription to my DVR install.

I should note that I'm using a QNAP TS-251 NAS for the DVR software. It more than the required specs but is by no means a CPU powerhouse. It's not even the model QNAP advertises for transcoding media playback (that'd be the TS-251+). Plex's DVR can't playback recordings without optimizing (transcoding) them first. Channels is using some combination of the AppleTV's hardware and my NAS to do the playback (of recordings in progress and completed recordings) and I didn't notice any drop in video quality. I should also note I'm doing this with OTA signals into a HDHomeRun Connect (the non-transcoding HDHR model). This would, presumably, also work for cable if you have the HDHR Prime which you can drop a CableCard into and use as a cable box replacement.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it. There's some obvious avenues for improvement. There's no support for the DVR for the iOS version of Channels (an update is promised). I haven't investigated how to get offline copies of the recordings so Plex has an advantage there. Plex also has the advantage of offering other services with their Plex Pass membership whereas Channels just offers the DVR. But Channels' DVR solution is more complete and user friendly than Plex's and if you're heavily invested in the AppleTV ecosystem AND looking for a DVR solution, it's totally worth checking out.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Craptacular! posted:

Infuse is good and I won't slag on it, but it does manage the whole database right there on the device so if you want syncing on multiple devices it's not going to do that.

Didn't the latest version add iCloud library syncing? I only use it on my AppleTV but I've enjoyed the infuse experience. Only problem is that it sometimes mangles fancy subtitles.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah it has icloyud syncing now

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kefkafloyd posted:

Didn't the latest version add iCloud library syncing? I only use it on my AppleTV but I've enjoyed the infuse experience. Only problem is that it sometimes mangles fancy subtitles.

Seems like, as is the case on so many fourms, I should just shut up. :shobon:

I'm glad the Channels DVR sounds good, hopefully somebody who buys in will post some demonstrations on YouTube. Seems they have some sort of API for other clients, which is good because we can have one ATV for our TV hub but can't swing anything more expensive than Amazon/Roku stick hardware for the rest of the places we watch TV.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Thwomp posted:

So here's my early impressions of the Channels DVR.

The DVR also has a built in commercial clipper for completed recordings

Thanks for this review. I want to like it, but this and your other point about accessing the files are what I need to see. I got in on Channels early, and I want this to do well too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone with an 8bitdo controller tried to compile the latest Provenance? Someone merged code to fix iCade support so I'm hoping that it works as expected now.

My SFC30 should be here end of the month (slow ebay seller :( ) and I'm curious whether it'll be usable now.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

savesthedayrocks posted:

Thanks for this review. I want to like it, but this and your other point about accessing the files are what I need to see. I got in on Channels early, and I want this to do well too.

To follow up on my earlier review, several updates have been pushed to the DVR software and the tvOS app. There's no issues with playback now. Even joining a recording in progress results in smooth playback now.

Commercial detection is still spotty. It isn't entirely their fault as not all networks identify their commercials the same way but it works.

As to getting at the recordings, there's nothing protecting the directories where the recorded files are kept. They're recorded as .mpg and an hour of HD programming takes up about 7 GB. They won't play on their own on the AppleTV in a program like Plex (unless you have a very beefy server. My little QNAP can't handle it.) without transcoding. But I could copy/move them out to wherever.

Aside from a hiccup where a bad DVR build was pushed out earlier this week, the Channels DVR has been surprisingly solid. There's still very little in the way of documentation yet and the server software could use a few UI revisions. But the devs are super active and responsive. It's been a great experience and my wife is much, much happier with the Channels DVR than with the Plex DVR.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Is there an app that can just loop a video on repeat without showing any UI in between? VLC for Apple TV can loop a video, but every time a new video starts, it shows the name of the video and the seeker for a few seconds at the bottom of a screen.

Any other suggestions for digital signage would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Can you make the video the screen saver? (Don't even know if this is possible)