Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Cleared Back-asswards when given glitter bombs and Dr Fetus which spawned a dozen hearts on Mega Satan, also had the bullseye which was nice. Penetrating tears with Dr Fetus was so frustrating against fast enemies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Night Danger Moose posted:

Cleared Back-asswards when given glitter bombs and Dr Fetus which spawned a dozen hearts on Mega Satan, also had the bullseye which was nice. Penetrating tears with Dr Fetus was so frustrating against fast enemies though.

I cleared Back-asswards by rerolling constantly until I got Epic Fetus and just 1 shot every form and utterly demolished the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Today's daily has you facing Rag Man on floor 1 with base damage, so don't bother.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that fight was fuckin stupid.

However I learned in utero 1 that there are apparently tinted rocks that require two bombs to destroy? At least it dropped Small Rock.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

iSheep posted:

Yeah that fight was fuckin stupid.

However I learned in utero 1 that there are apparently tinted rocks that require two bombs to destroy? At least it dropped Small Rock.

Those are super special rocks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They give double rewards but are harder to spot on earlier levels.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The only time you get a guaranteed Angel Room is with the teleport effect from the sacrifice room, any other time there is still some chance it will fail every roll.
You can still get the devil room if you manage to not roll the "Blessed!" effect on turn #3 AND #5 in the sac room, or if you've already been to the devil room that floor (red chest, joker)

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Bought Treasure Map, got three Curse of the Lost in a row.

Tried a run as Bethany for the first time, made it all the way to the Cathedral with absolutely zero damage ups. The Freezer Baby screwed me that run. If the enemies are frozen, Book of Virtue fires still count touching them as a hit. I went from maxed out flames to almost nothing between the Mom's Heart and first 3 rooms of Cathedral afterward then died.

Antibirth is still way more fun than AB+. Haven't looked back since I installed it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Highest Cactus posted:

Antibirth is still way more fun than AB+. Haven't looked back since I installed it

Agree.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

They give double rewards but are harder to spot on earlier levels.

Are they tinted rock replacements or a thing that spawns in addition to tinted rocks? Still a really good deal to blow them up if you have 2 bombs.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Finally defeated Ultra Hard through sheer absurd luck and brokenness. I got Proptosis, Small Rock, and Halo on the Basement, managed to obliterate the bosses before getting hit, and then got a bunch of tears up and some +hp. Devil deal had a SATANIC BIBLE and the run was almost over from there.

Caves happen, and I blow up the odd mushroom and get a goddamn loving Magic Mushroom. The odds were so loving uncanny. Next room, I get 3 batteries so that's an extra 3 evil hearts. More tears up, etc. from treasure rooms. Devil deal again, get Guppy's Tail. Tried a challenge room and one of the three red chests had Guppy's Paw. In the depths another red chest drops motherfucking Guppy's Head so I'm flying around with 5 tear delay, mega proptosis tears and guppy flies obliterating everything in my way.

The whole experience was thoroughly cathartic after attempting this retarded challenge for basically the last 5 hours of gameplay. I almost dicked it up at the end though because I idiotically picked up a random item from a red chest and got cursed eye before Mega Satan. If you have a winning build just stop picking up from item pools that have run destroyers like Soy Milk and Cursed Eye. I won regardless but the whole fight was super tense.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I found a sharp plug and went to town on that angel room... until it started giving out treasure room items?! gently caress

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jamesman posted:

Today's daily has you facing Rag Man on floor 1 with base damage, so don't bother.

What a day to have a four-daily win streak.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

What a day to have a four-daily win streak.

Pick up Dataminer. I don't know if the results are set, but I used it twice and the second time I got +1 damage, which made the fight easy.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Agreed about Dataminer. That made the Rag Man fight easy.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
My Data Miner tanked my shot speed and range.

Are dailies always as unfun and tedious as today and yesterday's?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Jibo posted:

My Data Miner tanked my shot speed and range.

Are dailies always as unfun and tedious as today and yesterday's?
Dailies are just like any other run. Sometimes they're bad and sometimes they're great. We just recently had two dailies with early Dr. Fetus and a bunch of other great stuff in each.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Dailies are just like any other run. Sometimes they're bad and sometimes they're great. We just recently had two dailies with early Dr. Fetus and a bunch of other great stuff in each.

Curated dailies are usually pretty cool too. I remember one run that took place on either New Year's or July 4th, and it was basically Dr. Fetus plus every bomb synergy the game could throw at you. Because fireworks! :supaburn:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I didn't know that Dataminer gave the fruitcake effect in a single room, which makes it a lot better than expected. It ended up giving me 3x damage up and 3x speed down before I tossed it for something else.

edit: died to Delirium as a beefed up godhead Keeper and now I feel hollow

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 26, 2017

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there some item or trinket that makes it so you have a chance that a chest may spit out a red attack fly? I had that happen a few times on my most recent run. I thought it might have been the Fish Tail trinket, but that's not a listed effect on the wiki.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
First floor Rag Man is the least problematic thing about today's daily. Try flooded caves with base damage.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Today's daily was really easy. Got a ton of red heart containers and even brimstone a few floors in.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

IUG posted:

Is there some item or trinket that makes it so you have a chance that a chest may spit out a red attack fly? I had that happen a few times on my most recent run. I thought it might have been the Fish Tail trinket, but that's not a listed effect on the wiki.

Poker Chip, it makes it so chests either have double the payout or the red fly.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Todays daily is the Number One challenge to mom's foot, but with ???. There's a 3 black heart secret room on floor 2 and a Maw of the Void in the first devil deal, so it's shouldn't be a problem to keep him alive.

:bubblewoop:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I really like the Antibirth design of having the harder alternate floors run in parallel to the normal floors through most of the run and how those floors add extra item choices as a incentive to go. Like if things are going well you can jump to the harder floors and there's a good reason to do that or if things are going badly you can jump back to the easier floors and there's a reason to do that too. It adds a lot in terms of keeping the run's difficulty balanced to its strength and also adds a bunch more strategic choices and a bunch more variety. That's so much cooler than just a new boss near the end, I love it.

Not that a new boss at the end is bad, but it's not transformative.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 27, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, the risk/reward stuff in Antibirth is really cool. In addition to the There's Options item rooms, you have the Knife familiar you can assemble, which is actually pretty decent on its own and can be carried back into the main path if you don't feel like using it to open the Corpse. The Mausoleum is especially cool because it can randomly have more special rooms in the teleport-accessible sections of the floors. An extra shop or item room can be incredibly helpful. Plus, there are those cool puzzle rooms, some of which I still haven't solved; does anyone know how to get the items in that room with three pedestals surrounded by pillars? It looks like there's a teleporter tile inside, but the pillars obscure it so I'm not sure. And since there are pillars, you can't just fly to it (which is awesome, by the way. I love that they added an obstacle that not even flying can get you past).

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Here's a little interview with McMillen.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/exit-stage-left-trying-to-escape-the-shadow-of-the-binding-of-isaac?utm_source=vicefbus

At this point, you just gotta appreciate BoI for how packed full of poo poo and crazy it is. I can't fault McMillen for being a little sick of the game at this point.

Hopefully they get the mods rolling with some improvements to the tools!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comingafteryouall posted:

Here's a little interview with McMillen.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/exit-stage-left-trying-to-escape-the-shadow-of-the-binding-of-isaac?utm_source=vicefbus

At this point, you just gotta appreciate BoI for how packed full of poo poo and crazy it is. I can't fault McMillen for being a little sick of the game at this point.

Hopefully they get the mods rolling with some improvements to the tools!

For a slightly less salty-sounding interview with him on the same topic, watch/listen to Roundtable Live episode 69:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh87HkTuZj8

I can't wait until Isaac is transformed by the mod community, with the mods made official into the base game, so that the game plays how the community wants it to play instead of how Edmund does. That's not meant as offense to him, he just admits he has different ideas as to how the game should be played. Alternatively, I want an Isaac successor - something that plays similarly with the WASD + arrow keys, but offers a different experience. Enter the Gungeon comes close, but it has a lot of mechanics that annoy me too much to play it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

In Antibirth, do you unlock The Lost the same way you do in Afterbirth and beyond? I think the answer is no, but I just got the missing poster and a sac room in the same level on a fantastic run, that could go as far as Mega Satan, and I want to know if I have that option or I should just keep going.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

For a slightly less salty-sounding interview with him on the same topic, watch/listen to Roundtable Live episode 69:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh87HkTuZj8

I can't wait until Isaac is transformed by the mod community, with the mods made official into the base game, so that the game plays how the community wants it to play instead of how Edmund does. That's not meant as offense to him, he just admits he has different ideas as to how the game should be played. Alternatively, I want an Isaac successor - something that plays similarly with the WASD + arrow keys, but offers a different experience. Enter the Gungeon comes close, but it has a lot of mechanics that annoy me too much to play it.

Did they settle the question of how effective the mod tools are? I was under the impression that they weren't as powerful as mod makers were expecting.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Prop Wash posted:

Did they settle the question of how effective the mod tools are? I was under the impression that they weren't as powerful as mod makers were expecting.

Edmund or Tyrone or possibly both, I forget, said that the mod tools would get better as time went on. I haven't installed any mods because I don't want to screw up the Dedication achievement, so I'm waiting, but from what I see Edmund sharing on Twitter, there are already some really cool mods out there. Nothing Antibirth quality, of course.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I honestly think they already cut mod support off at the knees by deciding to make mods stop unlocks. Like if you make it unlocks or mods a whole bunch of people are just going to choose unlocks which makes the potential audience of mod makers and installers that much smaller. And for what, safeguarding the purity of Isaac unlocks, who loving cares?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
You'd think "everything is available" would come standard with every mod that prevents achievements anyway.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Not for small mods, no. I like unlocking stuff, but I'd totally download a "No spinning laser Krampus" mod and stuff like that.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

The tools have gotten significantly better, and people are starting to make some pretty cool stuff:

Mei, new character that uses tears in a really unique way.
Imaginary Friends, pickups become flies.
Tech 0, electricity-linked tears.
Garden of Eden room + new items.
Transformer, item that does nothing, but acts as a wildcard for Isaac transformations.
Curse of Greed, new floor curse that replaces all pickups with coins, and items cost money to take.

There are still some frustrating holes in the API, though. There's no access to unlocks or floor generation (Garden of Eden replaces libraries with the custom room). I think there still aren't enough callbacks for certain events, which means some mods need to use a frame-by-frame check, which slows the game down when there are too many active mods. Again, though, it's getting better. Not too long ago you couldn't even add custom items to treasure rooms.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 28, 2017

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
Crooked penny+Void is completely broken in a great way. Apparently eating multiple Crooked Pennies stack. I got lucky and ate 4-5 pennies before it disappeared. The result:

So many revenge flies, I'm immune to all bullets. If I take damage, everything in the room dies.

10-15 Incubus following me. I could've gotten a lot more, but I was afraid of accidentally picking up a necronomicon and not being able to re-pick my void item.

Sadly I had Epic Fetus, so it made it difficult to see what I was attacking, but my damage/luck stat was 400/400

Apparently my damage was so high, I could kill those stone turrets. Very broken, very fun.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Like I have a bunch of other games to play so sticking with Isaac long enough to get most of the unlocks while also doing some normal runs in between to mix it up is probably as much Isaac as I'll actually play. I'd play with mods and go for unlocks simultaneously but since that is verboten I just won't install mods because new unlocks would be the primary reason for returning. But since the main reason Afterbirth+ exists is modding that means the justification for getting Afterbirth+ is like half. So I haven't got Afterbirth+ and I might never get Afterbirth+ because of that contradiction. I assume other people also feel the same way, so Afterbirth+'s potential audience for buyers, modders and mod users is being pointlessly shrunk all for a reason that I think is completely loving ridiculous. Who cares if people mod to cheat unlocks, people can already do that in other ways and it's a single player game so who cares at all.

Anyway, luckily Antibirth is good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The idea is that this stuff will be added into the main game monthly anyway.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The idea is that this stuff will be added into the main game monthly anyway.

Have they said anything about how they're gonna add it? Will there be a list where you can enable/disable sanctioned mods or will it just get straight up added to the game?

Because if it's the latter, that would suck. The good thing about modding is that you can pick and choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They will be straight up added to the game in monthly patches.