Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wish you all nothing but love and kindness from the heart of my bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Moola, I'm sorry you're distressed over Games Workshop's Premium Miniatures Game, but have you considered buying a different army? Look at the great deals on the Games Workshop website! With armies ranging from Space Marines to Blood Angels, there's something for everyone to like!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I dont want love I want pictures of plastic spaceguys

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
or you know, just not giving GW money and not spending so much time caring about people who do

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Anime is bad.

The Death Thread is full of :toxx:

Who gives a poo poo because THIS:

I couldn't believe how well this stuff turned out. When my students used our 3d printer, we got really bad plastic "scanlines" all along the surfaces, but this stuff looks not just perfectly serviceable, but perfect. Someone passed around 3d printer plans for a Warhound and I'm mighty tempted to try it out if there's a "send me plans and I'll print the parts" service for less than FW prices. I might even get some parts like crab claws for Hybrid Metamorphs that way, tbh.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheChirurgeon posted:

Of course, you'd say that, you filthy pro-anime monster

Every thread is improved by Gundam models

Hihohe posted:

I dont want love I want pictures of plastic spaceguys

done

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Beautiful pieces, but the prices are pretty insane.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

panascope posted:

Moola, I'm sorry you're distressed over Games Workshop's Premium Miniatures Game, but have you considered buying a different army? Look at the great deals on the Games Workshop website! With armies ranging from Space Marines to Blood Angels, there's something for everyone to like!

I cant find the scrunts

Guy Goodbody posted:

Every thread is improved by Gundam models

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, like Warhammer isn't anime already

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

So...thinking about actually getting back into 40K after being away for years. Started in Rogue Trader and played till 3rd. Been listening to podcasts, following this thread, etc. for the last couple years and it seems like GW is maybe getting their act together in a few ways. My only hobby work in the last 15 years has been getting into Kings of War and X-Wing a little, just playing a bit with my sons. Thinking of getting a couple units to introduce my sons to the game and maybe play at a FLGS. Figure I should wait till 8th since that seems likely this year (yes?). Might still grab a few models to start working on till then unless people think there is a good chance that we are going to get some amazing new basic Tac Marines or Orkz.

Is getting in now total madness for a former big fan?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'd argue yes, even with a prospective edition on the horizon this is a pretty good time to get involved. Between Kill Team and the Start Collecting stuff you can get going pretty easily.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The game is better right now than it's been all through 7th. If you've got an army that appeals to you aesthetically there's no reason not to buy some models and get building. GW currently has some start collecting boxes on sale for most of the available armies and they're consistently great deals so that's a good starting place. There are a lot of rumors about 8th hitting soon so I definitely would not advise picking an army or units based off of the current rules.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Is Biel-Tan an anime character? Sounds like an anime character.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Moola posted:

I cant find the scrunts

:confused:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Master Twig posted:

Is Biel-Tan an anime character? Sounds like an anime character.

For some reason when I saw this thing I thought it'd make a cool Harlequin Wraithknight

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SteelMentor posted:

I'd argue yes, even with a prospective edition on the horizon this is a pretty good time to get involved. Between Kill Team and the Start Collecting stuff you can get going pretty easily.

Yeah, I'd second this. It's not my favorite iteration of the rules, but the last year or so's worth of releases have been good to great, and they've taken big steps to making the game more accessible to new players. I wouldn't worry too much about the prospect of a new edition when choosing which army to play--there's only so much you can do about that, and even if you pick one of the armies getting a combined faction look, you'll probably still have a viable force in the new edition, no matter how much it may resemble AoS 40k, especially if you go with Space Marines. There is literally no way GW would ever get rid of space marines.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 26, 2017

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Pendent posted:

The game is better right now than it's been all through 7th.
:raise:

Pendent posted:

There are a lot of rumors about 8th hitting soon so I definitely would not advise picking an army.

ftfy

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I know that when I want advice about getting back into a game, the people I want to hear from are the people who don't play and aren't interested in said game

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Please play and enjoy Warhammer 40,000, or its sister game about battles in the future past, Warhammer 30,000.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pendent posted:

The game is better right now than it's been all through 7th.
Um. No.

You could perhaps argue that the models are better now - some of the recent releases show some really interesting stylistic directions. The new Genestealer Cult for instance has some awesome minis.

But the game is a frankensteinian pile of garbage suitable only for a dumpster fire. You have entire factions that are gimped (Orks, Tyranids) while others are ridiculously overpowered (Tau, Eldar) and probably becoming more so in the near future (lookin' at you Aeldari). The proliferation of Formations means it's basically impossible to keep up with what peoples' armies can actually do and/or what bonuses they have. There is almost no though given to game balance, and it seems like every new psychic discipline (which are also proliferating out of control) brings some new game-breaking bullshit. The icing and cherry are the FAQs that are either insulting or stupid of both.

Time is an issue as well. GW's favorite way to apply a special rule is to confer a re-roll. This applies to almost every aspect of the game - shooting, striking in CC, wounding, mitigating wounds, etc. If you have a guy with a Twin Linked weapon with the Shred rule shooting at a dude with armor and Feel No Pain, you're looking at potentially 6 rolls to see if a single guy dies. It becomes incredibly onerous and time consuming.

And this doesn't address the issue of cost; GW minis are still heinously expensive. The Start Collecting boxes have helped, but let's face it - outside of HoR Kill Team, you're looking at a major capital outlay to throw down even a 1000 point list.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 40K fluff. The setting has all sort of engaging stuff in it. But the game requires much more of an AoS "gentleman's agreement" to not be a curb-stomping douche-bag with your 500 points of free poo poo and crazy special rules provided by your overpowered Detachment of Formations to be fun. It is definitely not better than vanilla 7th.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ilor posted:

It is definitely not better than vanilla 7th.

There's no such thing as "vanilla 7th," just what I'm guessing you're calling "7th edition where we use all the codexes and expansions but decide not to use any formations in those books"

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Ilor posted:

Um. No.

You could perhaps argue that the models are better now - some of the recent releases show some really interesting stylistic directions. The new Genestealer Cult for instance has some awesome minis.

But the game is a frankensteinian pile of garbage suitable only for a dumpster fire. You have entire factions that are gimped (Orks, Tyranids) while others are ridiculously overpowered (Tau, Eldar) and probably becoming more so in the near future (lookin' at you Aeldari). The proliferation of Formations means it's basically impossible to keep up with what peoples' armies can actually do and/or what bonuses they have. There is almost no though given to game balance, and it seems like every new psychic discipline (which are also proliferating out of control) brings some new game-breaking bullshit. The icing and cherry are the FAQs that are either insulting or stupid of both.

Time is an issue as well. GW's favorite way to apply a special rule is to confer a re-roll. This applies to almost every aspect of the game - shooting, striking in CC, wounding, mitigating wounds, etc. If you have a guy with a Twin Linked weapon with the Shred rule shooting at a dude with armor and Feel No Pain, you're looking at potentially 6 rolls to see if a single guy dies. It becomes incredibly onerous and time consuming.

And this doesn't address the issue of cost; GW minis are still heinously expensive. The Start Collecting boxes have helped, but let's face it - outside of HoR Kill Team, you're looking at a major capital outlay to throw down even a 1000 point list.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 40K fluff. The setting has all sort of engaging stuff in it. But the game requires much more of an AoS "gentleman's agreement" to not be a curb-stomping douche-bag with your 500 points of free poo poo and crazy special rules provided by your overpowered Detachment of Formations to be fun. It is definitely not better than vanilla 7th.

Incredibly accurate summation of the current clusterfuck, but I still have fun with it v:)v

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The game desperately needs a 3rd edition mega cut down. Something where a every faction gets updated rules at once and just remove any and all formations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey Warhams thread, I was wondering if these are worth anything. I got'em in a huge lot of Warhammer books ages ago and while I like the stories in them I might as well sell them if they're worth a good bit, they seem to be really rare. They're the entireties of Titan and Bloodquest collected into their respective single volumes.

The only example of one for sale I can find on ebay is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-GD-Bloodquest-The-Eye-of-Terror-Trilogy-by-Gordon-Rennie-/222196956367?hash=item33bbf87ccf:g:lD0AAOSw0fhXlH9L which seems a tad much, but I don't know.

SteelMentor posted:

Edit: Both of those are well out of print so they'll be wanted. BL have reprinted a couple of the shorter comic series (Deth Squadren, etc) recently but no signs of either of those two you have.

Complete reissue of Titan in Hardback and Epub is out in March presumabley as part of building hype for that new Titan based game supposed to be coming this spring. Titanicus, which is a great Abnett story if you've never read it, is similarly getting a new Hardback release then as well.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/whats-coming-soon/march/titan-gn.html

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Nah. Formations just need a revision. The core concept is excellent. The stuff they just revealed about the unified Eldar list, alongside the unified Adeptus Mechanicus detachment could actually be a first step toward this.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Nah. Formations just need a revision. The core concept is excellent.

I agree. They need to be cut down in number and balanced in terms of power and cost, but the core concept is strong.

Ilor posted:

This is definitely a huge factor, though, and probably my least favorite part of the current game

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I guess expecting GW to act enough like a modern company to care about their rules and update them as a single unit is already fantasy land. So presumably this hypothetical good GW could make formations at least as well balanced as Warmachine theme forces.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 26, 2017

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

I know that when I want advice about getting back into a game, the people I want to hear from are the people who don't play and aren't interested in said game

Despite 20 years of playing this terrible game I shouldn't post about it because I'm not in denial about its current state or looming future state. Gotcha.

Encouraging people to spend their money on a game that may not be recognisable and armies that may not exist in a few months is a real dick move.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Don't start playing 40k holy poo poo

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Terrible Opinions posted:

I guess expecting GW to act enough like a modern company to care about their rules and update them as a single unit is already fantasy land. So presumably this hypothetical good GW could make formations at least as well balanced as Warmachine theme forces.

So hypothetically they could do this, the same way they did 3rd Edition or :siren:AGE OF SIGMAR:siren:, though the chief challenge is that 40k is a much better-selling range than Fantasy was, so there's a much bigger risk. The game is also much, much larger than 2nd edition was going into 3rd--Dark Eldar were invented for 3rd edition, Necrons were a 4-model sideshow "army", Tau, Genestealer Cults, and Deathwatch were still on the horizon, and only 4 Space Marine chapters had specific rules.

The *early* indications are that we're due for some kind of streamlining based on what worked in AoS and the latest round of FAQs, but it's not clear what will change and how much, and no matter how many times the death thread crew posts their best Ron Paul impressions, it's still unlikely that we'll see anything near as drastic. 40k definitely needs a major rules overhaul, but there are ways to do that without invalidating every codex (though I don't trust GW to do this at all).

The issue of book bloat could be mostly solved by a strong digital strategy that gives players access to the entire library without having to hunt through half a dozen books to build the army they want (if it were me in charge, I'd look at publishing small, quasi-annually-updated paperback "player edition" versions of these updated codexes in limited runs for players who want print materials).

Likewise, in order to fix formations, you have to be willing to update and edit the books you've already released. The biggest problem Games Workshop has with their rules right now, outside of core issues in the ruleset, is that they are extremely reluctant to issue errata or changes to their published rules, probably because they come in books that cost $60+ apiece, and those can't be edited once they're printed. By moving to a digital-first strategy, they can quickly and easily make edits to the rules at regular intervals (think how Magic does banned/restricted releases), along with published notifications of changes and notes on the reasoning, which would allow them to adjust formation bonuses and costs to bring them more in-line from a power level standpoint.

spacegoat posted:

Despite 20 years of playing this terrible game I shouldn't post about it because I'm not in denial about its current state or looming future state. Gotcha.

Oh, my bad. Please, go on about Age of Emperor

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 26, 2017

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

but it's not clear what will change and how much

This alone is enough is enough reason to not encourage people to get into 40k right now.

quote:

The biggest problem Games Workshop has with their rules right now, outside of core issues in the ruleset, is that they are extremely reluctant to issue errata or changes to their published rules

poo poo like this helps, too.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The solution is to do a new rules edition, and give everything digital warscrolls. Then you can periodically adjust the warscrolls like PC patch notes without waiting on an entire new book or edition. Make codex books even more fluff and scenarios since they're no longer rules focuses.

They will never do this.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I couldn't believe how well this stuff turned out. When my students used our 3d printer, we got really bad plastic "scanlines" all along the surfaces, but this stuff looks not just perfectly serviceable, but perfect. Someone passed around 3d printer plans for a Warhound and I'm mighty tempted to try it out if there's a "send me plans and I'll print the parts" service for less than FW prices. I might even get some parts like crab claws for Hybrid Metamorphs that way, tbh.

Printers have been getting better, I've also read that some people that do professional 3D printing will their results a light brushing of nail polish remover to diminish the appearance of scan lines.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

spacegoat posted:

poo poo like this helps, too.

It's not the right approach, but I understand why they don't want to issue errata or edits for their books--it's the same reason Magic doesn't like doing it for cards. You want the physical book that a player holds in his or her hand to reflect the actual rules of the game. Issuing errata or edits not only creates confusion, it also reduces the value of the product. They still need to do it, but I don't fault them for not *wanting* to.

mango sentinel posted:

The solution is to do a new rules edition, and give everything digital warscrolls. Then you can periodically adjust the warscrolls like PC patch notes without waiting on an entire new book or edition. Make codex books even more fluff and scenarios since they're no longer rules focuses.

They will never do this.

Could be possible--seems like the current focus is on campaign books that update the rules over codexes, but at best it's an "I'll believe it when I see it" situation.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
More eldar stuff

- Lots of interplay between the different Eldar factions in the book.
- When it's desperate, Eldar of all kind will fight against a common vow. Other times, they fight against each other, even Craftworlds vs Craftworlds.
- Now, the Eldar god of the dead is summoned - some see this as a hope for their race.
- These make up a new faction - basically the Eldar who believe in Ynnead. They have now a red colour scheme (like the Visarch, he is their leader). These are the Ynnari. Lead by the prophetess and the Visarch.
- Lots of wyches and Incubii.

- Some Eldar (of all kind) are very against this - especially the Haemoncolus Covens. They see this as "they steal our jobs". If there is a god of the dead - no slaves and stuff, so they are not happy.
- Clashes between the Haemoncolus Covens and the Ynnari.

- Part II is not a sequel - it happens at the same time of 'Fall of Cadia'.
- It ends at the same point as the first book.

- Rules to make the Ynnari. You can mix different Eldar races into one army now. They loose their army rules but gain instead a new special rule.
- Basically - when your eldar units die, your own units become more powerful.

- Ynnari are a whole new faction of the Eldar.
- Aeldari is the name for all Eldar.
- If you already got an army, you can decide to play it as Ynnari, but not all units can be taken. Most of the stuff can be used though.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Just play in a friendly environment, you will be fine. Ask the local gamestore owner who plays for fun and who power games. It really isn't that hard.

Just avoid anything that involves in sort of "prize" for victory and you should be alright, because that is what causes everyone to take off their gloves.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

The game desperately needs a 3rd edition mega cut down. Something where a every faction gets updated rules at once and just remove any and all formations.

Your name does not match the content of these posts. Congrats, I guess.

mango sentinel posted:

They will never do this.

The thought of someone with integrity re-designing Cruddace's puerile poo poo-swamp of a book and literally overwriting it digitally into nothingness makes my heart sing, a la watching the Gryphons get eaten by Cultists No, gently caress you Dr. Dicksmoker, you salty oval office, math is not an opinion.

Uroboros posted:

Just play in a friendly environment, you will be fine. Ask the local gamestore owner who plays for fun and who power games. It really isn't that hard.

Just avoid anything that involves in sort of "prize" for victory and you should be alright, because that is what causes everyone to take off their gloves.

Man, it's really tough to enjoy the game when at every turn things your army is supposed to be able to do well it does terribly. No amount of opponent self-control with their best units will make the feeling of Orks being bad at both MSU and horde, or armored assault, or challenge-spam, or [insert any strategy here] feel any better. Watching your army flounder because some lazy, untalented, or unprincipled fucknozzle stole away their core strengths and replaced them with weaknesses makes for a bad loving time regardless of my friend's list/army composition.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
:siren:Hey nerds!:siren:

SRM and I are taping episode 3 of the 40k Badcast tonight, so let us know if you want us to talk about something! Anything! We don't give one single poo poo!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

The Sex Cannon posted:

:siren:Hey nerds!:siren:

SRM and I are taping episode 3 of the 40k Badcast tonight, so let us know if you want us to talk about something! Anything! We don't give one single poo poo!

An entire episode where you RP people in this thread arguing over Age of Emperor stuff. Make sure to do funny voices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

An entire episode where you RP people in this thread arguing over Age of Emperor stuff. Make sure to do funny voices!

for moola just shake a bag of chicken bones into the microphone

• Locked thread