Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

More boxes:
http://store.401games.ca/catalog/8046169/star-wars-destiny-card-and-dice-game---awakenings-booster-box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Yoink! Looks like they don't pay duties for you like BoardGameBliss does, so my cost basis on these is going to be ~$90 or so rather than ~$84 from the BGB order.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Yoink! Looks like they don't pay duties for you like BoardGameBliss does, so my cost basis on these is going to be ~$90 or so rather than ~$84 from the BGB order.

Eh? It looks like they did for mine. To NC for me was $254, which is under $85 a box.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

Eh? It looks like they did for mine. To NC for me was $254, which is under $85 a box.

Here's what I'm going off of.
BGB says that the price that US customers pay (in CAD) is the final price, taxes and duties fully included. They also say that if you get charged a duty, take a photo of the customs/duty receipt and they'll refund that to you.
401games says in their shipping FAQ for US customers:

quote:

For American orders we offer a flat rate of $11.95 to all American addresses. You will be responsible the payment of any customs taxes and/or duties/fees.
So if US CBP decides you need to pay a duty for the import, that'll be your responsibility to pay.

Some dude on Reddit said that if you order 2 or less, you won't need to pay duty on the import.
A bunch of comments beneath it said the guy was totally wrong, so who knows?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I saw the same reddit post and looked into it more. It looked like there were no duties on up to $800 of goods.

Edit: I sent them an email to ask. If there will be duties i'll change the order to just 2 boxes to hopefully avoid them.

Edit 2: They responded super quick and said the law has been changed to $800 now. Should be good to go.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 25, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I saw the same reddit post and looked into it more. It looked like there were no duties on up to $800 of goods.

Edit: I sent them an email to ask. If there will be duties i'll change the order to just 2 boxes to hopefully avoid them.

Edit 2: They responded super quick and said the law has been changed to $800 now. Should be good to go.

Yahoo, glad to hear it. Thanks for looking into it

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

aaaaaaannnnddddd they're gone

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So I'm on a ridiculous run of booster luck - I have opened 15 packs and got 5 legendaries, which is obviously unlikely to continue.

I also have almost all light side characters. Two of the legendaries I got are AT-ST and Crime Lord; I'm trying to decide whether to try to flip them for more cards (I could really use more characters overall, never mind maybe some Dark Side ones) or whether they're so good that I should keep them. I already decided to keep my Sith Holocron because that card is stupid.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Are the only cards that remove Supports so far Surgical Strike and the AT-ST special?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

evenworse username posted:

So I'm on a ridiculous run of booster luck - I have opened 15 packs and got 5 legendaries, which is obviously unlikely to continue.

I also have almost all light side characters. Two of the legendaries I got are AT-ST and Crime Lord; I'm trying to decide whether to try to flip them for more cards (I could really use more characters overall, never mind maybe some Dark Side ones) or whether they're so good that I should keep them. I already decided to keep my Sith Holocron because that card is stupid.

They are both great cards with unique effects. They make good trade bait and they should continue to do so. AT-ST is one of the only cards that can remove supports and Crime Lord is the only card with that effect. Cards like that tend to maintain their value. I've heard of people doing crazy Crime Lord antics, maybe from this very thread.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

evenworse username posted:

Yeah, hang on to that holocron.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Thanks this is a bit unfamiliar coming from Warmachine where there isn't a secondary market to consider!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think Sith Holocron might be the first card to be errated, but I think it's just going to be slightly changed and will still be good. I think it's going to no longer ignore play restrictions. They may also give it a resource cost of 1. But I think even with those changes it's still very powerful.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

ShowTime posted:

I think Sith Holocron might be the first card to be errated, but I think it's just going to be slightly changed and will still be good. I think it's going to no longer ignore play restrictions. They may also give it a resource cost of 1. But I think even with those changes it's still very powerful.

The easiest fix would be to have the holocron discarded after the special is used.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

ShowTime posted:

I'd be surprised if it were changed before Hyperspace Jump or Falcon, though it might be simultaneous. And of course I am sometimes surprised.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
So, I've been stalling on posting this because I didn't want to fill the thread with buy/sell noise, but I've hit a dead end. Really trying to get my hands on a copy of One with the Force. No one is offering a reasonable trade in my area for it, and I'd rather trade with goons than go through ebay.

My available legendaries for trade are (all one-ofs)
Launch Bay
Thermal Detonator
Jabba
Han Solo

I also have a decent chunk of Rares, more than I'm gonna list here. And a bunch of other stuff. If anyone wants to straight trade, or even a legendary + stuff for One with the Force, let me know. I don't have the PM thing on the forums, but if you post here we can work something out.

========================
Anyway, for more game related content, has anyone tried doing 3+ player free-for-alls or team games? We tried the official FFA rules in the official PDF tonight at game night. It was alright, I guess. Kinda chaotic, and hard to find reasons to gang up on people. I think there needs to be some kind of "can only attack to your left" rule or something to that tune. Otherwise it's just too tempting to do a 3v1 beatdown on jango or Qui-Gonn or whoever so they don't get too strong.

Next week we're planning on trying some 2v2s to see if we can come up with a decent way for them to work.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I might be alone in thinking that Sith Holocron doesn't need to be immediately changed; it's powerful to be sure and can only logically get more powerful as time goes on, and admittedly I'm not good at this game (yet). That said, in the context of Awakenings, it's... good? But doesn't feel game-ruiningly strong or horrible. All the Villain blue characters are either prohibitively expensive or underwhelming in and of themselves, and to play the 'cron you need to run at least one of them; I think, after some playtesting, that eKylo/eDooku is probably among the most powerful decks you can build out of such a setup and that doesn't feel oppressive in the way that Hyperspace looping does, or even in the same way eJango does. Like eVader/Tusken Raider is a strong shell but I'm not sure it's as binary and un-fun as loop or eJango/eVeers. I've won games against blue Villain/Holocron decks and lost games against blue Villain/Holocron decks with eLuke/Ackbar but it always felt like there was some meaningful exchange between them, whereas eJango/eVeers often feels like "did he play turn 1 Jetpack and roll decently? welp"

I'm missing a few pieces to complete my eHan/eRey deck and frustratingly one of those pieces is another Han. If Awakenings goes out of print short or (God help us) longer term I can only imagine the inflation of the singles costs of the legendary characters from this set, especially if there's a large gap between SoR's release and Awakenings getting a second run. Like, you wanna play iconic OT characters? Cool, you're starting at $90 per elite character you want to run for your deck. Seems brutal.

Here's a tier list I was linked to by some CCGs nerds in a Skype group I'm in. I don't have the expertise to weigh in on how valid it is or isn't, and can only speak anecdotally, but it feels like eLuke/Ackbar and eJabba/Vader decks are being massively undervalued, while the mono-blue Villain shell and mono-blue Hero shells are being pretty obviously overvalued. It also seems weird to suggest a deck that will be banned or errata'd out of existence is somehow not as strong as other decks? Or maybe I'm interpreting how they parse a "tier" wrong, I dunno.

Here's some controversial opinions based on my experiences as a bad player playing a new game:
  • The six best characters in my estimation, in a vacuum: Jango, Luke, Vader, Han, Poe, Jabba, not necessarily in that order. None of the characters feel grossly unplayable though, which is cool, and there's a lot of room for discussion here. If you said Qui-Gon or Rey deserved to be up here, I'm sure I could be convinced.
  • Jango has workarounds in the same way that the "Hyperloop" does, but unless you bring the silver bullet you're left at the mercy of the dice, which is frustrating. To me, those two decks define the entire structure of what is shaping up to be the meta, and you need to plan on playing one or both of those decks to win any credible tournament.
  • Having continued to playtest the eLuke/Ackbar shell, it's very swingy, but the dice control package combined with Luke's ability to one-shot virtually anyone at any time with just one or two upgrades makes almost any game feel winnable, even if some matchups are unfavorable. If you like SWD you should give an eLuke deck a shake, it's fun.

If you have interest in virtually any card besides OWTF, I would part with a lot for Han Solo. I might just pony up the $35 for a single, but I'd rather swap a goon than give away money.

w/r/t multiplayer games, I've been playing a 1v1v1 almost every night we've been testing decks - not to test them, but just to relieve some of the... not tension, I guess, but everyone I play with has a way of making their brain ache with all the tweaks we've been trying to implement in our decks. It is virtually never fair, but if everyone brings dangerous mid-range decks it becomes more fun. Sure, you could dogpile Jango, but you can't leave Luke or Vader alone, that's suicide. We've been treating those games like free-for-all Smash Bros. - fun but not something to care about.

A 2v2 format in this game seems like it could be super fun given the right rules, though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I got an extra OWtF today and we can work something out for that Han Solo. One of my coworkers has been trying to get his 2nd one, so this works out for us. I'm posting from my phone and am going to bed, so I guess we can talk through email tomorrow? Spoiler your email I guess and i'll hit you up tomorrow.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

I really hope they don't do any power level errata. Ban cards if needed, but telling players "You can't play with this card" is a lot better than telling them "This card you opened does something different than what it says it does". The latter makes them have to memorize a completely different card. The Hyperspace Loop can be fixed with a minor rules change, i.e. if you play an event card from your discard, it gets removed from the game... but even that's not a super clean solution.

The reason I could see Sith Holocron being banned isn't that it's too powerful, but that it severely limits what type of blue ability upgrades they can print in the future.

guts and bolts posted:

Jango has workarounds in the same way that the "Hyperloop" does, but unless you bring the silver bullet you're left at the mercy of the dice, which is frustrating. To me, those two decks define the entire structure of what is shaping up to be the meta, and you need to plan on playing one or both of those decks to win any credible tournament.

I haven't seen the Hyperloop in action, but I wonder if Jango would've been better or worse with his original ability, which is now Bala-Tik's ability. On the Knights of Ren podcast, one of the designers said that Jango/Greivous was brutal because it was: kill your guys, ready Jango, steal an upgrade with Greivous. A later game snowball effect (spread across characters with two different damage types) seems less broken than what we have now with the snowball starting at almost full size.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

ShowTime posted:

I got an extra OWtF today and we can work something out for that Han Solo. One of my coworkers has been trying to get his 2nd one, so this works out for us. I'm posting from my phone and am going to bed, so I guess we can talk through email tomorrow? Spoiler your email I guess and i'll hit you up tomorrow.

removed

Hit me up whenever tomorrow. I might miss the email while I'm at work, but I'll try to check on my breaks.

thocan fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 26, 2017

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

guts and bolts posted:

Here's a tier list I was linked to by some CCGs nerds in a Skype group I'm in. I don't have the expertise to weigh in on how valid it is or isn't, and can only speak anecdotally, but it feels like eLuke/Ackbar and eJabba/Vader decks are being massively undervalued, while the mono-blue Villain shell and mono-blue Hero shells are being pretty obviously overvalued. It also seems weird to suggest a deck that will be banned or errata'd out of existence is somehow not as strong as other decks? Or maybe I'm interpreting how they parse a "tier" wrong, I dunno.

Any tier list is going to be suspect at this point, so I don't disagree with your larger points. It also seems weird to me that mono-blue should actually be better than other stuff - you lose out on a lot of good support cards. eJango/eVeers is clearly very good. Based on what I've seen you could call it tier 1 by itself, and I wonder if they're subconsciously trying to make the game look less skewed than it currently is.

Not that I necessarily think it will continue to be, which ties in to the issue with a tier report: we've had basically no high-profile events. Until the first round of regionals or store champs (can't remember which comes first), I don't think we'll be able to say much about a non-local meta other than "everyone knows that Jango/Veers is good" and "probably someone in the event will be That Guy and run Hyperloop".

On the specific case of the Hyperloop though, I think the position isn't incoherent. I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems like that combo is usually going to be useless to awful against Jango/Veers because you have to be ahead in damage dealt and if you're ahead against Jango/Veers by the time you can get it online, you can also probably just kill Jango and likely win. Not 100% of course, but I have trouble imagining its a favorable matchup. It also is the kind of thing that, if your opponent knows to put outs in their deck, they can play them, because they can cycle cards and accumulate resources each time you loop. So it won't usually beat people who know about it.

But what that really means is that it will just create awful feel-bads for players who haven't heard about it. And it's almost certainly an unintended interaction - it doesn't even really resolve in the absence of the tournament rules, by the rulebook the game just continues until someone scoops. Work or not, it's a specific interaction that bypasses the game rather than interacting with or enhancing it. It's generally a good idea to fix things like that, because even if they don't dominate tournaments, they hurt attendance pretty demonstrably. "Dominates competitive play" is an important metric, but I've known games with relatively large metas and reasonable rules where the specific decks were just not fun to play, and that's an important failure too.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I really hope they don't do any power level errata. Ban cards if needed, but telling players "You can't play with this card" is a lot better than telling them "This card you opened does something different than what it says it does". The latter makes them have to memorize a completely different card. The Hyperspace Loop can be fixed with a minor rules change, i.e. if you play an event card from your discard, it gets removed from the game... but even that's not a super clean solution.

I generally agree with this argument, but Falcon is almost certainly going to eat a ban eventually if they don't errata it, and it's a high-profile flavor card and a legendary. They could solve the Hyperloop combo by banning Hyperspace Jump, but Falcon seriously limits the design space for future yellow events and making it not banish was IMO a big mistake.

It's also possible you could just ban the battlefield (Throne Room?), but there's a risk that wouldn't really do it and bannings that side-attack a combo like that are things you want to be really sure will actually solve the problem or else you just look dumb.

It's also possible that just making their tournaments allow draws, or changing the tiebreaker, would make it not worth running.

You could also try to do some sort of shenanigans with the tournament rules, like defining a loop rule that would just cause you to shortcut through the thing, but it's pretty hard to figure out how you stop the loop from just happening again pretty soon. Unless you say that after you resolve it however many times you banish everything involved to think about what it's done. At that point, though, you might as well just have a list of banned combos.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ultiville posted:

I generally agree with this argument, but Falcon is almost certainly going to eat a ban eventually if they don't errata it, and it's a high-profile flavor card and a legendary. They could solve the Hyperloop combo by banning Hyperspace Jump, but Falcon seriously limits the design space for future yellow events and making it not banish was IMO a big mistake.

It's also possible you could just ban the battlefield (Throne Room?), but there's a risk that wouldn't really do it and bannings that side-attack a combo like that are things you want to be really sure will actually solve the problem or else you just look dumb.

It's also possible that just making their tournaments allow draws, or changing the tiebreaker, would make it not worth running.

You could also try to do some sort of shenanigans with the tournament rules, like defining a loop rule that would just cause you to shortcut through the thing, but it's pretty hard to figure out how you stop the loop from just happening again pretty soon. Unless you say that after you resolve it however many times you banish everything involved to think about what it's done. At that point, though, you might as well just have a list of banned combos.

Banning Throne Room might stop the combo, but like you said, doesn't stop Falcon from breaking future event cards. I still say the cleanest way is to banish events if they're played from the discard pile.

Changing tournament rules makes it better for tournaments, but just as lovely for casual gaming. It's also hard to define a loop rule when they could potentially do some kind of intermediate action like playing something with ambush in between their loop actions.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Banning Throne Room might stop the combo, but like you said, doesn't stop Falcon from breaking future event cards. I still say the cleanest way is to banish events if they're played from the discard pile.

Changing tournament rules makes it better for tournaments, but just as lovely for casual gaming. It's also hard to define a loop rule when they could potentially do some kind of intermediate action like playing something with ambush in between their loop actions.

I'm not convinced banishing event cards when they're played from discard piles would be functionally different than issuing errata. It does let you say you haven't issued errata, but it still isn't indicated anywhere on the card or in the current version of the learn-to-play rules, so most players still have to basically look online to figure out what's going on with it. And it's an obscure enough rule that you'd need to reminder text it on later cards too. I could see them doing it, but it feels like following the letter of the "don't errata in CCGs" rule of thumb while still creating a similar problem.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeeeeah, I can't believe they didn't have the foresight to make Falcon effect exile afterwards. That's some amateur hour design.

Also can't believe they still haven't said anything about supply shortages and the rumors that it's not getting further print runs after this stocking. Tons of money being lost and player base dwindling :(. Should have stuck to the LCG model.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 26, 2017

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeeeeah, I can't believe they didn't have the foresight to make Falcon effect exile afterwards. That's some amateur hour design.

Also can't believe they still haven't said anything about supply shortages and the rumors that it's not getting further print runs after this stocking. Tons of money being lost and player base dwindling :(. Should have stuck to the LCG model.

They'd probably have taken months to sell this much on the LCG model, if not years. The big test is the next few months, if there's enough of set 2 and they are able to announce a concrete Awakenings restock, they'll recover. If either of those go wrong, it'll be hard.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

A 2v2 format in this game seems like it could be super fun given the right rules, though.
We tried this a couple of days ago. The only rule change we made was to allow distribution of shields within the team, to make the game more co-operative. Otherwise we used the free-for-all rules, with the obvious exception that there is now one player you don't attack. I think it worked pretty well. Cool to have someone to discuss tactics with. Deciding who to focus on, requesting shields, or try to do some cool combo attacks. Obviously lasted much longer, but we were pretty engaged the whole time. Would play again.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

thocan posted:

Hit me up whenever tomorrow. I might miss the email while I'm at work, but I'll try to check on my breaks.

I emailed you. You can edit your email out if you'd like.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

What's the Hyperloop combo?

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

We had the discussion of overpowered and broken cards last night at our FLGS weekly constructed tournament (had 14 show). The consensus was that Emperor's Throne Room is definitely the worst offender, followed by Sith Holocron. The ability to guarantee a resolved special side creates a huge imbalance. Poe goes from a great character to essentially unstoppable. Kylo goes from mediocre to strong and consistent. Holocron gets even better. And obviously Hyperloop is guaranteed. Sure your opponent can claim before you, but then you're creating awkward and lengthy decision processes every turn trying to predict when someone will claim.

Removing Emperor's Throne Room is the first thing they need to do. Hyperloop can still happen, but you have to actually roll or modify to Falcon's special side which is 1/6 and allows at least one turn for the opponent to respond, more if the side has to be focused. Same with all the other specials.

The second, as mentioned above and as I noted earlier, is remove or errata Sith Holocron. I'd favor errata because it's a great flavor card, but is too powerful as is, especially the first round.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm not enthused that there are already discussions about banning cards and it's the first set. I was hoping Destiny was going to be immune to that, of course that is my naievete.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Even the LCG got limits to 1 of, and pretty quickly at that.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
People always want to ban some card or other (usually by shocking coincidence the type of card that beats their kind of deck)

We need to see some big events before we can judge if the meta is borked or not.

There are counters to hyperloop, so it's not the sky is falling country yet.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Benthalus posted:

We had the discussion of overpowered and broken cards last night at our FLGS weekly constructed tournament (had 14 show). The consensus was that Emperor's Throne Room is definitely the worst offender, followed by Sith Holocron. The ability to guarantee a resolved special side creates a huge imbalance. Poe goes from a great character to essentially unstoppable. Kylo goes from mediocre to strong and consistent. Holocron gets even better. And obviously Hyperloop is guaranteed. Sure your opponent can claim before you, but then you're creating awkward and lengthy decision processes every turn trying to predict when someone will claim.

Removing Emperor's Throne Room is the first thing they need to do. Hyperloop can still happen, but you have to actually roll or modify to Falcon's special side which is 1/6 and allows at least one turn for the opponent to respond, more if the side has to be focused. Same with all the other specials.

The second, as mentioned above and as I noted earlier, is remove or errata Sith Holocron. I'd favor errata because it's a great flavor card, but is too powerful as is, especially the first round.

I thought part of the point of Battlefields was the added strategic choices from trying to figure out when to claim and when to keep playing. That doesn't just revolve around whether or not you're done or if you really care about going first or second. You also need to decide if you want the claim ability or if you really don't want your opponent to have it.

Granted, we don't have anyone at our store doing hyperloop BS, so I don't know from that angle. But I really don't see what about ETR is so egregious. Poe does sound painful, yeah. But if you claim first and hit Poe with Kylo or a lightsaber or whatever, it sucks for Poe.

Or throw out some dice removal to get rid of your opponent's really scary specials. Every color has some kind of decent removal options, and they can't resolve a special that isn't in play. You probably can't do this every turn, but my point is you have options if you can't claim early.

As for Holocron, I dunno. It does feel a little weird using it to put force throw on a Stormtrooper. I'm mostly ok with it because blue villain is usually kinda strapped for resources compared to other builds. It's a cool, flavorful way to get their upgrades out. I don't think making it discard after use is the way to go, because screw it, it's cool the way it is. And you still need the holocron, the upgrades you want, and to roll a special for it to work. So that's either a bunch of luck, or a bit of luck and spending cards/resources to force the social.

I could see making holocron blue character only or not ignoring play restrictions, though. As much as I like playing Vader along side his force-choking and mind-probing doomtroopers, it might be a bit much.

Maybe.

I think we should at least wait for the April set before calling for bans and erratas on stuff. It's just too early, and the community will find solutions to the really strong stuff. Hell, maybe the solutions are in Spirit already.

Edit...

HidaO-Win posted:

People always want to ban some card or other
We need to see some big events before we can judge if the meta is borked or not.

You posted this while I was writing my reply, and you hit something important that I missed. The tourney scene will probably be the real answer, and we just haven't seen a big enough event yet to know how broken stuff is, if at all. If it ends up like Royal Guard and Officers in ImpAss, then maybe. But until the new set and a few big tourneys, I agree that it's too early to tell.

Anyway.

We were talking for a bit the other night at the LGS. According to the store owner, we've gone through 25 boxes total since release. 25 boxes, 6 legendaries per box is 150 legendaries, divided by the 17 currently in game should be 8.8ish of each legendary, if the distribution was even and guaranteed.

Since launch, we've pulled 0 Falcons, 2 Luke's, 1 Launch Bay, and probably 11 Vaders minimum. Granted, there are probably a couple packs going to random people who aren't coming to game night, but the owner said very few, less than a full box.

I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with weirdly absent cards. I get that it's random box contents, but with 6 guaranteed legendaries per box and FFG saying all legendaries are equally rare, it still seems odd. 25 boxes seems like a big enough sample to even out the randomness a bit.

thocan fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 26, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've opened quite a few boxes and most frequently see Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Launch Bay and Kylo Ren's Lightsaber. Very rarely find a Jabba, Han Solo or Millennium Falcon and have never opened a Crime Lord.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The complete lack of information on how both physical product and stuff like formats and errata will work in the long run makes it hard to predict any calls like bans at this point. Really it's almost tempting to just cash out while prices are still loving insane; Not in any real negative sense, but rather to just be prudent and let them get their sea legs and publicly establish what the trajectory of the game is. I love X-Wing but didn't really sink my teeth into it until they had a few waves under their belt and started to figure poo poo out. Moreover, if prices and scarcity stays where it's at right now it would do a lot to kill my interest anyway. I had to pull out of Magic largely in part due to the cost, and I ain't doing $50+ slips of cardboard ever again.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I expect prices to go up as product continues to dry up. Yesterday FFG and Asmodee started a new website function where you can see the availability status of their games, including games in development, at printer, on the boat and awaiting reprint. Awakenings is noticeably absent from anywhere on that list. They say games that have been out for 7 days are removed, but if they were doing a reprint i'd expect to see it on that list. This kind of backs up the rumors going around. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

I guess the only people that really know are FFG. My LGS is getting 3 boxes today, but they have orders in for as much as they can get, and they can usually get a lot. That makes me think we won't see any more for awhile. The game isn't going to die because of the lack of product and the cards will all probably rise. That's just speculation on my part though. I've thought about selling off as well, just until product stabilizes. But I also like the game and don't want to potentially pay more for the stuff I want when I start playing again. So i'm just gonna hold on to what I have and try and keep my local community playing.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

uncle blog posted:

We tried this a couple of days ago. The only rule change we made was to allow distribution of shields within the team, to make the game more co-operative. Otherwise we used the free-for-all rules, with the obvious exception that there is now one player you don't attack. I think it worked pretty well. Cool to have someone to discuss tactics with. Deciding who to focus on, requesting shields, or try to do some cool combo attacks. Obviously lasted much longer, but we were pretty engaged the whole time. Would play again.

Awesome, thanks. I was considering whether we'd allow one player to resolve an ally's dice in conjunction with their own, but when we tried it it resulted in dumb nonsense like Luke swinging at Jango for 17. I think we'll forego that nonsense.

At this point, I've IRL built four decks that are functionally feature-complete: eLuke/Ackbar midrange, eJinn/eRey midrange, eJango/eVeers mega-aggro, and eKylo/Nightsister/Nightsister jank. Of the four I most consistently get wins with eJango/eVeers, but some of that could be because people aren't ready for it; turn one happens, and one of their characters takes tremendous damage, and then they're like "... oh." Which is exactly what happened to me when I first played it, and why my Luke deck got the changes it did. Of those four, the only list I've developed straight-on from a netlist is eJango/eVeers, and the idea was to test my decks against what is likely to be both commonly played and powerful. It's a little disheartening that nothing I could come up with on my own has better than a 50/50 winrate against the netdeck, but there you go.

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm not enthused that there are already discussions about banning cards and it's the first set. I was hoping Destiny was going to be immune to that, of course that is my naievete.

HidaO-Win posted:

People always want to ban some card or other (usually by shocking coincidence the type of card that beats their kind of deck)

There are counters to hyperloop, so it's not the sky is falling country yet.

This was what I meant when I said that I was confused as to why Hyperloop is being talked about as ban-worthy when it didn't even make tier 1 of the posted list. I think it's premature to flat-out say "well this deck is good and this one isn't, hope that helps" - especially when anyone who posts a tier list is going to be drawing from kitchen-table games and nothing you'd consider a credible tournament. I also think it is way, way premature to suggest banning cards you don't like. My specific question about Sith Holocron is - what deck is running Sith Holocron that is absolutely crushing your game experience? It's a powerful card, absolutely, and it will need to be balanced around in the future which may be limiting, but right now, in the present environment, exactly what has people calling for it to be lol banned? I think it's comical that the Holocron is such a lightning rod for ban talk when the best lists that run it must feature heavily in Villain blue, which is, according to both my anecdotal experience and what I've now seen posted online, a good but not excellent shell to start from.

The Hyperloop is a little more complicated. It's probably impossible to errata a specific combo out of the game, so I don't think that's a workable solution, and it's probably asking too much of a TO or judges at events to put them in charge of when to say "you're stalling" and intervene, especially since the deck doesn't break any rules out of the gate. It's a frustrating wall to run into if you're not ready for it, and to most people it will be a rude awakening/"gotcha!" deck, and those experiences are always really lovely. But all of that is ignoring the fundamental truth that you can escape the vaunted Hyperloop on your own and that it becomes kinda easy to do so with the right deck. If your control deck can't beat it, you should change your control deck before you decide that Hyperloop needs to be banned out of existence. Like... that's kinda crazy, to me?

Don't get me wrong, I think that game experiences like the Hyperloop are fairly toxic, and if it does get errata'd or a card intrinsic to the combo gets banned I won't be sad about it, but everyone who plays local to me is good about policing their own. At least three people have such a deck built, and none of them have thus far used it to "gotcha!" somebody except for once - that I was around for, anyway. People have used it in more "serious" games, like at structured Star Wars Destiny night at the FLGS, but the idea of using un-fun, binary nonsense decks in casual play has enough of a social stigma that people will just stop playing games with you. So if the concern is that Hyperloop will ruin casual play, I'm not sure I buy that unless you already play in a local scene that's kinda not great? Maybe? And if the concern is that Hyperloop will ruin competitive play, I can think of several ways to take consecutive actions or get ahead early or resolve lots of dice quickly or whatever that effectively forces Hyperloop out of any position you'd call dominance.

It's a lovely deck to play against, to be sure, but those exist in every game and will probably always exist in every game. I personally think eJango/eVeers is a toxic experience to play against and kinda binary and gross and not-fun, but I don't think I'd ever argue that rules need to change because I don't like it. Unless a deck or combo or something is straight up ruining the widespread game experience I'm not sure it's worth it to ban a card like four months into a game's life cycle.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sure they will print more later this year. If they can sell out boxes in 2 hours, why wouldn't they? What would be their business motivation? They don't make a profit on the third party prices or the scarcity of boxes right now. I expect that Awakenings will reprinted for at least one year from it's launch.

I also think that singles prices will come waaaay down once they do another big reprint. Worlds will have come and go and a lot of Legendaries and rares will be deemed as non-competitive. The 6/90 ratio of legendaries to dollars from boxes also suggests the prices are massively inflated due to scarcity.

The time between a launch and the first big wave of expansions is always the worst, anyways. People morbidly depressed about House Baratheon for months, etc.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Just want to jump in and mention that I completed a successful trade with Finster Dexter, in the event that anyone is looking for a testimonial for future trades. Quick on communication and shipping, stuff packed well. A+ would trade again.

Also, re: the availability of Awakenings discussion, I've seen a member of the Asmodee team in an industry retailer channel mention that an announcement about it is coming soon. He didn't provide any other details, but they apparently have something to say about it. Feel free to speculate wildly.