Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I just bought a 55" KS8000. My credit card company decided to nix my cushy 10% cashback deal starting tomorrow, so this was a hurried last hurrah. I know 4K HDR content is rare (and while HDR is easy to spot, I can't easily tell the difference between 4k, 2k and at times HD), but I went show-rooming with my significant other and the UHD Samsung panels as well as the LG OLED stuff makes everything else look like poo poo. The the Samsung upscaler is really nice too, as I was under the impression 4k TVs weren't so good at that.

My bizarre question: how likely is my cat to knock this thing over? She is a huge rear end in a top hat. I ordered it online and am clueless; should I go for some sort of aftermarket stand? I can't wall mount it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Only your cat can answer that one.

Also I feel like HDR is always noticeable but 4K is more appreciable if filmed on 4K equip. Even if you don't have a 4K TV I think content filmed in 4K (a lot of Netflix original shows) is fairly impressive.

Also my 65KS8000 doesn't have any weird frame issues fingers crossed. People on avsforum are constantly talking about returning them. I wish I knew a better place to keep up with :wtf: the firmware updates do so I didn't have to wade through that garbage.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Isn't the KS8000 supposed to do Amazon in 4k? The Grand Tour is only coming through in 1080p.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Are you sure you picked the UHD version? Amazon's app does not have a great UI. Seasons are separated for TV shows and UHD is also a separate category.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Got this 65" KS8000 on the wall finally!

Can't say enough good things about this mount, it's bananas.

Wall demo underway as I'm getting the speakers (mocked up white rectangles) in the wall, moving the sconce boxes out so they're above the speakers, running conduit to the TV, and losing the outlet boxes. The center channel speaker will be slung on the bracket below the TV, the equipment is going in the basement one floor down. Hoping to have everything installed but probably not buttoned up and painted by the Stupor Bowl. Ideally it'd be up and running this weekend for the Daytona 24 but it's slow going so far.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Are you going to have a center?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I guess a better way to put it is: how wobbly is this thing with the little OEM legs?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
What's the cheapest 48-50 inch television one can get that isn't literal junk? Want to think about replacing a 31-32 inch lcd from back when ones that size costed over a thousand dollars.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

uwaeve posted:

The brushed stainless band running around mine has a sharp dimple in the top, it'll never be seen so I'm rolling the dice and keeping it.

My has a few along the top and 1 or 2 on each side plus the back panel is coming out on each top corner. I got it all hooked up yesterday and there doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with the picture, but I'm still going to air on the side of caution and see if the place I bought it from will replace it. If the panel is already popping I'm worried it will come right off in a month or so.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yudo posted:

I guess a better way to put it is: how wobbly is this thing with the little OEM legs?

I have mine in a very dangerous position until my wall mount gets here. It's on a board that's barely deep enough, balanced on the center bit of a console table. I measured everything to make sure its perfectly centered and even. I gave it some shakes, it is very solid.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hey, I'm trying to decide between two TVs, the Sony 55" x930D and the Vizio 55" P-Series. My local store has both for $1300 but only the Sony is actually available today. I'm leaning towards it anyway but is there any reason I should really really get the Vizio instead?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Sony if your are going 55". The 55" P series is an IPS panel that will give you inferior black levels. The other size P series are fine.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bull3964 posted:

The Sony if your are going 55". The 55" P series is an IPS panel that will give you inferior black levels. The other size P series are fine.

I'm set on 55". Thanks!

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Are you going to have a center?

Yes, I'm putting one on the bracket sticking down under the TV. Normally the bracket is hidden and just had a handle mounted on it but I think I figured out a way to hang the speaker from it.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I have mine in a very dangerous position until my wall mount gets here. It's on a board that's barely deep enough, balanced on the center bit of a console table. I measured everything to make sure its perfectly centered and even. I gave it some shakes, it is very solid.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll hold off on an aftermarket stand until necessary/my wallet has recovered.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

FogHelmut posted:

Now post a picture of the dog that plays with that Kong along with the TV

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Now post a picture of the dog that plays with that Kong along with the TV

Here she is trying to eat my cereal. She won't pose with the TV.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Here she is trying to eat my cereal. She won't pose with the TV.

Quality hound.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This has been bugging me a while.

The KS8000 that you all talk about and love, and the (UE55)KS7000 that I (UK) bought last November and also love... are the same set, right?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Fedule posted:

This has been bugging me a while.

The KS8000 that you all talk about and love, and the (UE55)KS7000 that I (UK) bought last November and also love... are the same set, right?

The very same, but I imagine with the proper regional plug and voltage compatibility.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Why they do it that way, I have no idea.

Also we don't love it we just don't have the money for a similarly sized OLED :(

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I figure I was probably being too vague with my question earlier, so I will try to be more specific this time. Sorry to bother.

My family is potentially looking for a new television to replace our 31 inch Panasonic LCD that's like a decade old, since my sister is moving out and we are considering giving her that one. My dad has noted he wants one with at least 120Hz refresh rate, though I don't know precisely what has inspired him to this number (I'm guessing sports but he might have heard it from someone else). the platform for what we have now would probably not accommodate anything much over 50 inches diagonal, though I'm mainly just thinking about where we would put the speakers when it comes to that.
Other things we would probably want:
1. Ability to handle digital signals (so we don't have to use a converter box. I'm sure most have them now but just in case).
2. more than one HDMI port, so we can hypothetically hook multiple devices up (once again, I'm sure that is common now, but you never know).
3. at least 1080p image quality (don't see much the point of going lower. 4k would be nice, I guess, But I don't think it would be all that bad not to have it).

I don't have a real strong feel for prices, but I imagine we're not getting anything good unless we pay at least $250? The old TV we have was cutting edge for it's time (or at least we felt like it was) and costed around $1400. My thought Is that if we are just gonna get another LCD, we should go with something under $500, that meets the standards set out, and is from a reliable brand as listed in the OP, and that if he really just wants to splurge, we should shop around for a 'budget' OLED, though obviously there are only so many savings to be made with those, and I suspect in that case it would be best to wait on buying until a major sale/production increases and lowers the cost?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I just want to make sure my dad is happy with whatever we end up buying. Thank you for your time.

One other thing I should mention, is that I am interested in connecting my computer to the TV, so we can stream stuff from it directly.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 26, 2017

Dogen
May 5, 2002

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50KU6300-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01E69VEE6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485446926&sr=8-4&keywords=ku6300

Go smaller if you want cheaper. It has a plex app built in, you can hook to plex server on your computer to watch media off your computer. I would not buy a cheaper LCD than this.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Dogen posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50KU6300-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01E69VEE6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485446926&sr=8-4&keywords=ku6300

Go smaller if you want cheaper. It has a plex app built in, you can hook to plex server on your computer to watch media off your computer. I would not buy a cheaper LCD than this.

So like, If I have a video I'm watching on a desktop in my house, I can send that over to the tv screen? Do I have to download the media before I can stream it? While I myself am squeamish about large sums of money, I can understand the necessity of having a quality television to do things with. Would you recommend a soundbar? We have two stereo speakers and a subwoofer, but the tv we have also has speakers, so would we lose anything from not having that?

Edit: nevermind the soundbar question, it seems only the larger ones even have the option. Thank you for the advice.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 26, 2017

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Dogen posted:

Uh, that doesn't seem like a particularly good deal... the 55" is cheaper...

I know he said 50" for the space he has but it still doesn't seem like a good price.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah, I just got the 55 inch for 694.99 last week.

Price considered, it's a wonderful TV.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Looking for a 60+ for a reasonable price, and I have a $100 Costco gift card to burn. Any compelling reason not to go with this Samsung 4k?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

thechosenone posted:

I don't have a real strong feel for prices, but I imagine we're not getting anything good unless we pay at least $250? The old TV we have was cutting edge for it's time (or at least we felt like it was) and costed around $1400. My thought Is that if we are just gonna get another LCD, we should go with something under $500, that meets the standards set out, and is from a reliable brand as listed in the OP, and that if he really just wants to splurge, we should shop around for a 'budget' OLED, though obviously there are only so many savings to be made with those, and I suspect in that case it would be best to wait on buying until a major sale/production increases and lowers the cost?

That's not how this works re: LCD. There are quality differences along the price spectrum.

You need to set a budget. The difference between under $500 LCD and a $1500-2000 OLED is wide.

In my opinion go get a cheap Vizio in the size you need. Maybe you can use the streaming stuff built in or go get a Chromecast if you aren't happy with it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

thechosenone posted:

So like, If I have a video I'm watching on a desktop in my house, I can send that over to the tv screen? Do I have to download the media before I can stream it? While I myself am squeamish about large sums of money, I can understand the necessity of having a quality television to do things with. Would you recommend a soundbar? We have two stereo speakers and a subwoofer, but the tv we have also has speakers, so would we lose anything from not having that?

Edit: nevermind the soundbar question, it seems only the larger ones even have the option. Thank you for the advice.

If you want to steam stuff on the tv, there are apps for that. Since I'm not sure what you would be streaming on a desktop that you couldn't stream using the tv I'm not sure how to answer your question (it has Netflix, YouTube, etc).

You can get a sound bar as a separate add on, it doesn't specifically have to go with the tv.

Elysium posted:

Uh, that doesn't seem like a particularly good deal... the 55" is cheaper...

I know he said 50" for the space he has but it still doesn't seem like a good price.

I was working within the space constraint.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Argyle posted:

Looking for a 60+ for a reasonable price, and I have a $100 Costco gift card to burn. Any compelling reason not to go with this Samsung 4k?

How much is it?

This would be much better if you can lose 5" https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag)-4K-SUHD-LED-LCD-TV-UN55KS800DFXZA.product.100290949.html

I asked this same question like 10 days ago.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 27, 2017

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

FogHelmut posted:

How much is it?

This would be much better if you can lose 5" https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag)-4K-SUHD-LED-LCD-TV-UN55KS800DFXZA.product.100290949.html

I asked this same question like 10 days ago.

The one you linked is almost 300$ more, I had to log in to check lol

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
I bought a KS8000 from samsung.com on 11/24, it arrived damaged on 11/30, and they just sent me a shipping label this week after disputing it with my credit card company. Consider buying locally.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

FogHelmut posted:

Isn't the KS8000 supposed to do Amazon in 4k? The Grand Tour is only coming through in 1080p.

I don't know if you got the answer you were looking for but if this is your first 4K show and you're running the amazon app from something hooked up via HDMI, make sure UHD is turned on for that HDMI port in the expert settings.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm loving my KS8000 so far. Only issue is that the Plex app will appear to freeze up (the menu at least, I can still select stuff and hit OK but the menu itself is frozen so I can't see what I'm actually selecting) if I switch between that and other HDMI inputs/apps without exiting. If I just mash return enough until the exit prompt comes up, I can relaunch it just fine. Someone else complained about it on the Plex forum but I didn't see a response so I'm assuming it's just something I'm going to have to live with

Yudo
May 15, 2003

So my KS8000 is a dud and I need some advice. Yesterday upon receipt, the TV would turn on but crash and reset within minutes. Eventually, it would not turn on at all (no standby light on) unless it was unplugged for a time.

I called Samsung and they said I had a defective One Connect box. Though I had done so prior, I reseated the One Connect box cables and left it unplugged for an hour. After, it turned on and worked normally. However, this morning the TV did not have a standby light on and I had to reseat the cables, unplug etc. It is now working.

B&H has offered to take it back; Samsung to send a new One Connect box. I must say the prospect of packing this thing back up is a little daunting, but I have no idea why a bit of electronics would behave like this: it clearly is not a bad cap or the like, as it will run no problem after a ritual and some luck.

One are the chances this little box is at fault? Please help me internet.

(For what it is worth, Grand Tour looks insane).

edit: I forgot to mention that it did the crash and reboot routine even when the one connect box was unplugged.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 28, 2017

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I have ~20 samsung TVs in conference rooms with the OneConnect box and did have one go bad.

Make them get it to you within B&H's return window to keep your options open. It's definitely cheaper for everyone if they can just replace the box, so they should agree.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm loving my KS8000 so far. Only issue is that the Plex app will appear to freeze up (the menu at least, I can still select stuff and hit OK but the menu itself is frozen so I can't see what I'm actually selecting) if I switch between that and other HDMI inputs/apps without exiting. If I just mash return enough until the exit prompt comes up, I can relaunch it just fine. Someone else complained about it on the Plex forum but I didn't see a response so I'm assuming it's just something I'm going to have to live with

I had this problem with Netflix too. This and the audio out limitation led me to get a roku for streaming.

If you hold down return, it force crashes apps.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

What's the difference between Samsung UN65KS8000 and UN65KS800D? They look like the same TV? I am seeing the 800D for 1,479 at CostCo.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's the Costco model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Dogen posted:

It's the Costco model.

Ah okay. Thank you