Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
I like how I got halfway through this thing before I realized "there's no polycaps?" Pretty fun build though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

e: the second incident occurred almost 25 years ago. I try not to gently caress around with hobby knives.

I cut myself occasionally with my hobby knife, but I switched to using a regular nipper and then removing the excess with a pair of tamiya nippers while sanding the rest off.

No more cuts!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
A few years back, when I was getting back into Gunpla, I would use the knife like I was paring a fruit. I'd finally stopped chewing my nails, so I used the thumbnail as a pseudo-safety. Plus my thumb was pretty callused, so there was no pain the few times the blade made contact with it. No blood either. One day after building a kit, I was cleaning up, and noticed that my knife-work had shredded the top layer of skin on the thumb. It looked like my thumb had been scratched up by a really tiny dog.

That's my knife "horror" story.

Neurolimal posted:

All my cuts have come from using a single blade too many times, it snagging on something, and me cutting myself trying to force it through

I should really be less conservative about xacto knives

I've gone to a one blade per kit habit, maybe two for the really big ones.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Once I learned the golden rules of never cutting towards yourself and never forcing the cut, my hobby knife injuries dropped to 0 in the last year.

Now, loving Tamiya paint jars, on the other hand- Model Masters/Testors jars were hard enough to open, but at least I could pull out a wrench and torque the cap off if it was really stuck. The plastic Tamiya caps are so drat soft that the wrench never works, and I give my hand indian rug burn every time i have to force one of them open. Why can't all hobby paints come in the Vallejo dropper bottles?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The one downside to the Origin kits. Their action base connector suuuuucks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, neat, they've found a way to model the Reginlaze Julia's whip swords.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Are they flexible plastic or something? They look cool anyway. And they are heat rods until we're told otherwise.

Looking forward to that kit, although I'm not yet clear on what's going one with the legs. Can it stand on the ground? Is it purely a space-use suit? Not even completely sure what parts are the feet.

Do we know the designer for the Julia? I wondered if it was the guy that did the Gundam Thrones and GN-X series.

Edit: actually looking at that I think it has big feet with a sort of ice skate blade coming out of the front part of the sole, so maybe that folds up and allows it to stand.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are they flexible plastic or something? They look cool anyway. And they are heat rods until we're told otherwise.

Looking forward to that kit, although I'm not yet clear on what's going one with the legs. Can it stand on the ground? Is it purely a space-use suit? Not even completely sure what parts are the feet.

Do we know the designer for the Julia? I wondered if it was the guy that did the Gundam Thrones and GN-X series.

Edit: actually looking at that I think it has big feet with a sort of ice skate blade coming out of the front part of the sole, so maybe that folds up and allows it to stand.

Looks likely.

Also, holy poo poo that is a lot of kit for just 1400 yen plus tax. That's cheaper than the Zaku III from '99, for a bigger kit. With a stand.

Are we sure the pricing estimates are right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

No, I think it's purely space-use. The legs are just there to give it extra blades to stab people with. That would certainly explain the swords, which I'm sure work much better in zero-G.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Looks likely.

Also, holy poo poo that is a lot of kit for just 1400 yen plus tax. That's cheaper than the Zaku III from '99, for a bigger kit. With a stand.

The Graze Ein also cost 1,400 yen. IBO HGs are hella cheap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'd wager it's rubber, or something similar, with a wire core.

Darth Walrus posted:

No, I think it's purely space-use. The legs are just there to give it extra blades to stab people with. That would certainly explain the swords, which I'm sure work much better in zero-G.

Yeah, that thing's built purely for zero-G. There's no way in hell it's touching down on even a hangar deck with those feet, because the blades are fixed in place.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Oh hey, that's a nice Zone of the Enders kit

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Gundam Barbados :v:

In the spirit of this, I actually made the Gundam Jamaika some time ago

http://imgur.com/a/9gPYv

Meanwhile I have two Super Fuminas and a Mega-Shiki left over from what was going to be a kitbash that I opted not to pursue. Anyone interested in trading/buying? I could list it in SA-Mart but I figure the only interested parties would be here in this thread.

All unopened boxes. I'd love a Flauros, Hugo, Shia Qan[T], MG Zeta Plus C1, 1/100 Vidar or Grimgerde, or combinations. Or I'd sell 'em.

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 26, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This RG Zaku 2 is destined for a trash can. gently caress this thing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

PaintVagrant posted:

Pics of the disaster please, maybe you can salvage parts.

chiasaur11 posted:

Looks likely.

There's no way the Julia will be bigger than the Zaku III. Pointier, sharper maybe, but not larger.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

screech on the beach posted:

Where do you guys keep all of your alternate hands? I can see getting a pile of these if every kits comes with 5+ hands.

Tackle boxes or bead storage boxes. Make sure to label which compartments hold which kits hands and you're good. I prefer the clear ones.

It's like a pissed off Gadessa, I love it :allears:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ka0 posted:

So did or did I not dodge a bullet by not getting the Alteisen at a bargain when I had the chance. I guess neither, but I'd much have them tackle the Wildschwein.

Some of the SRW kits are good, Aussenseiter is still one of the best builds I've done. Non scale Cybuster, Grungust Type 3 (apart from the back drills which just don't go together right???), the new Gespenst Albero custom and the Huckebein Boxer have all been alright. Thrudgelmir was not so brilliant but it also comes with a super ridiculous huge sword that will dent floors and draw blood if it lands on your foot.

The old blue Gespenst is probably the the worst thing I've ever built though, and I remember someone here previously saying the Wildwurger FA version was super boring and even more prone to explosion than the most fragile of RGs and considering it's basically an oversized HG that's a real problem.

I still have no idea how Kotobukiya have the rights to make what is actually a Bandai original property.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I have an Alteisen Reise and I love it but it was a bitch to build and has just straight lies from it's promotional images and the finished kit. Looks rad and poses as well as it probably can if you're willing to put in the work though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably doesn't hurt that they reuse the same handful of inner frames over and over.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Darth Walrus posted:

That likely comes about from how there's sooooo much they can reuse from kit to kit with the frame system. I'm not sure exactly how many frames there are? It can't be more than six or seven - and that's counting the Valkyrja or whatever that only was ever used on the Grimgerde.

And I think on top of that they just outright use less plastic too. It's not scientific, I don't have that many to reference, but the IBO models I do have feel noticeably lighter in the hand than non IBO ones of seemingly identical stature. Probably in part due to the designs being a little more spindly and lighter-armored.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, what's the difference between a MG and a RE:100, really? Are the RE:100s basically upscaled HG kits? Are they pretty comparable in terms of detail?

I'm basically trying to decide whether I should build the Efreet Custom or the Turn X first.

Edit: N/M, I answered my own questions by actually looking at the instructions. RE:100 doesn't have a complete inner frame.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 26, 2017

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, what's the difference between a MG and a RE:100, really? Are the RE:100s basically upscaled HG kits? Are they pretty comparable in terms of detail?

I'm basically trying to decide whether I should build the Efreet Custom or the Turn X first.

Edit: N/M, I answered my own questions by actually looking at the instructions. RE:100 doesn't have a complete inner frame.

Get the Efreet regardless. It's an awesome kit.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
buy the re100 gerbera

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

buy the re100 nightingale

I agree wholeheartedly.

(Someday Mechanicore is gonna come out with like a 1/60 Nightingale in line with their usual things and I'm going to sell body parts for it.)

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I agree wholeheartedly.

(Someday Mechanicore is gonna come out with like a 1/60 Nightingale in line with their usual things and I'm going to sell body parts for it.)

At some point, you'll have to prepare your significant other for when you sell your firstborn to pay for the 1/60 Neo-Zeong's release.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

At some point, you'll have to prepare your significant other for when you sell your firstborn to pay for the 1/60 Neo-Zeong's release.

By that point he'll already have sold his significant other to pay for the 1/60 Dendrobium.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

I'd never do that!

Suzaku posted:

By that point he'll already have sold his significant other to pay for the 1/60 Dendrobium.

...I might do that. And plugging the numbers, that'd be about 7.7 feet long. And the Nightingale would be about one and a half feet tall. So knowing mechanicore they'd probably do 1/72 to keep more in scale with their other stuff. But then again the RE/100 is pretty close in size as-is so idk.

(Nightingale is there with Xi and Penelope in my "will buy no matter what" pile)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Has anyone here actually built the HG Neo Zeong? Like, I see it and think "this is so unique, I kinda want it" before sanity reasserts itself.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dickeye did a long time back. (Previous thread?) God save his soul.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I did totally build the SD one a few nights ago. gently caress those stickers.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

Has anyone here actually built the HG Neo Zeong? Like, I see it and think "this is so unique, I kinda want it" before sanity reasserts itself.

If by "build" you mean "shove the box in my gunpla closet under the Dendrobium" then sure!

I mostly haven't nutted up to the time commitment making that thing sing will need. And I have no idea where I'd put it after I built it. At least I can take the Dendrobium to work....

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TaurusOxford posted:

Get the Efreet regardless. It's an awesome kit.

I've already got both, it was just a question about which to build first.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Built the efreet first and then build the mg turn x. Because you save the best for last.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

PaintVagrant posted:

How come? I was looking at it but the tube cover things look like they'd be a tedious nightmare.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zelah posted:

How come? I was looking at it but the tube cover things look like they'd be a tedious nightmare.

They aren't that bad. The spring tube the pieces go over sits nicely in place once everything is assembled, and feeding the tubing pieces over the spring is fiddly, but not nghtmare pain inducing.

The worst part about the RG Zaku II for me is how the front skirts use a polycap style plug to pop in and they tend to fall off. Other than that, the rear bicep piece is a little loose, and it's feet can take some adjusting to stand straight, but that's about it. I thought it was a really good kit.

Plus it can kneel like a champ that would make the Ez8 blush. Unless an RG Ez8/RX-79 was made.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Dickeye did a long time back. (Previous thread?) God save his soul.

I'm surprised you haven't done one.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Gyra_Solune posted:

And I think on top of that they just outright use less plastic too. It's not scientific, I don't have that many to reference, but the IBO models I do have feel noticeably lighter in the hand than non IBO ones of seemingly identical stature. Probably in part due to the designs being a little more spindly and lighter-armored.

I actually compared part counts back when the IBO stuff first came out because I was wondering wtf was up with the pricing as well, turned out they tended to have a dozen or two fewer parts even compared to HGs without inner frames, and half of those parts were recasts vs other kits where almost everything is custom made for it. While on one hand it feels slightly cheap and the builds are snoozefests, I still have to applaud the designers for pumping out efficient designs that still look pretty good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Turns out that the Julia does have landing gear after all. It's pretty... unconventional, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ahh, I see what's going on there with the legs; It's basically a Graze in an exoskeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahh, I see what's going on there with the legs; It's basically a Graze in an exoskeleton.

I think this makes me like it even more. I already love the ZoE-esque design of it (there's a few other IBO suits that I think wouldn't look out of place in ZoE at that).

I hope this comes out in 1/100 and is the first IBO RG. This might be my favorite IBO kit yet, and there's a lot of competition for that spot.