Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It's kind of a weird way to deal with mental breakdowns.

Removing yourself from the source of the stress is like the "pour cold water" part of treating a mental breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I was referring to the imagery of him losing a leg, but yeah. No matter what, it's s big shock to the system.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine it's just a gag, but everyone visualizing him committing suicide seems to indicate they were at least aware he was stressed/struggling which doesn't speak well of them.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Fabricated posted:

I imagine it's just a gag, but everyone visualizing him committing suicide seems to indicate they were at least aware he was stressed/struggling which doesn't speak well of them.

considering how high pressure their school setting is it's probably the natural assumption whenever anyone doesn't show up for an appointment on time. i'm sure that if someone takes too long in the shower the first move isn't to complain about wasting hot water, it's for the whole dorm to run around making sure they haven't hung themselves from the shower curtain rack

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I was referring to the imagery of him losing a leg, but yeah. No matter what, it's s big shock to the system.

Oh right. Yeah. It's not how I'd illustrate a breakdown. If anything a total lack of "reaction image" would probably be more accurate and probably more alarming.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/199/3956/1

Flashback time's over, pals.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So will chapter 200's big event be Erina Cooks a Thing, then?

E: I guess Souma and Erina actually facing off would be big enough

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 19, 2017

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It could also be them being stuck on the same team and having to work together to cook something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So will chapter 200's big event be Erina Cooks a Thing, then?

E: I guess Souma and Erina actually facing off would be big enough

Seems like they're setting up Erina saving the team by finally shaking off her self-doubt. I don't think the result is going to be Azami gets kicked out either. It's going to end up with like Gin and Azami as co-deans in warring factions.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Seems like they're setting up Erina saving the team by finally shaking off her self-doubt. I don't think the result is going to be Azami gets kicked out either. It's going to end up with like Gin and Azami as co-deans in warring factions.

And then they kiss.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So it's likely Saiba, Souma and Erina vs. Gin, Takumi and Megumi for this first training, but it's possible it could be mixed up since just about any combination would have interesting interactions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

So it's likely Saiba, Souma and Erina vs. Gin, Takumi and Megumi for this first training, but it's possible it could be mixed up since just about any combination would have interesting interactions.

That seems like it would be a blowout in favour of Saiba's team any way you slice it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That last page killed me. Dang it, Jouichiro, you were all serious and now you're back to your merry, "loose" ways. Also? My heart. :allears:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alternately, Erina, Joichiro, and Gin versus Souma, Takumi, and Megumi.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Alternately, Erina, Joichiro, and Gin versus Souma, Takumi, and Megumi.

This is the one I'm expecting.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I'm the Soma in the last panel who's excited to get back into a drama-free cooking battle again

well, relatively drama free (LOOKING AT YOU ERINA)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

I'm the Soma in the last panel who's excited to get back into a drama-free cooking battle again

well, relatively drama free (LOOKING AT YOU ERINA)

Good news, starting from chapter 200 the only drama from Erina will be love drama

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Good news, starting from chapter 200 the only drama from Erina will be love drama

Good. I like sappy romances.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Glad we're getting back into the swing of things. This flashback has been pretty boring.
Joichiro is fun as a wildcard that pops up every now and then. But an entire flashback about him was a bit much imo

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
We're lucky the flashback was this short, imo. It's a shounen manga, sometimes flashbacks get... tedious.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think the flashback arc served its purpose. Also young Azami getting bullied by his mean senpai was priceless. Now it makes me wonder if Jouichiro's interactions with Erina are gonna be like that.

A man can dream.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

I look forward to Erina being caught in the eternal triangle between Ms. Lawrey & Tony's Seasoning becoming canon.
Soma/Peanut-Butter Squid also will become entrenched.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Spoilers are out, Xelkelvos was right

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/200/3975/1

Chapter's out.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Yay, chapter 200.

The dish of the hour looks pretty tasty. I am looking forward to seeing some fancy, fancy shepherd's pies.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Regarding the last page, didn't Soma learn anything during his stagiaire regarding cooperation? Shinomiya would be disappointed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MajorMarcus posted:

Regarding the last page, didn't Soma learn anything during his stagiaire regarding cooperation? Shinomiya would be disappointed.

The problem isn't that he doesn't know how to make the recipe, the problem is that Jouichiro is going off script on the recipe. It's hard to anticipate your chef deciding that Thai coconuts are just the thing for this traditional French dish.

Erina is going to be crazy good if this team is set for awhile and she has to anticipate Soma and Jouichiro's manic cooking innovations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

The problem isn't that he doesn't know how to make the recipe, the problem is that Jouichiro is going off script on the recipe. It's hard to anticipate your chef deciding that Thai coconuts are just the thing for this traditional French dish.

Erina is going to be crazy good if this team is set for awhile and she has to anticipate Soma and Jouichiro's manic cooking innovations.

She's crazy good now.

But she'd also hijack a teammate's dish in a heartbeat with the proper methods.

What I don't get here is why conflict would be coming from Souma since he's possibly the best Sous Chef we've seen in the series.

E: Conflict that wouldn't be directed from his dad since he won't be a factor in the actual match.

And now I just realized there's a really good chance this ends with Erina getting to taste a father-son kamehameha failed dish

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 26, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Called it.

Megumi is a great supporting chef and Takumi has always cooked as part of a team. Souma and his dad can work together, but it's always been by words and like someone said upthread, both are the type to change on the fly. Erina's the odd duck and is probably bad at working under another chef.

I'm guessing the next team switch up will be Souma, Takumi and Gin maybe and Megumi, Erina and Saiba with Takumi and Megumi leading.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god is there a specific name/word for that situation where you're best friends with somebody and you're both relatively well-adjusted adults and chat/message/shoot the poo poo online all the time, yet the minute you two get together in the same room after a couple of weeks or 1/2 months, it's like you're the same dumb, goofy teenagers/young adults? Because I do that all the time. And it loving rules. . This chapter loving ruled. :allears:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 26, 2017

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Oh my god is there a specific name/word for that situation where you're best friends with somebody and you're both relatively well-adjusted adults and chat/message/shoot the poo poo online all the time, yet the minute you two get together in the same room after a couple of weeks or 1/2 months, it's like you're the same dumb, goofy teenagers/young adults? Because I do that all the time. And it loving rules. . This chapter loving ruled. :allears:

I think "friends" is what you're going for

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Patware posted:

I think "friends" is what you're going for

Oh! And here I thought it had a specific name/word to that... uh, regression in behavior. But if it's standard friendship fare for two guys in their early 30's to start giving each other poo poo in an easygoing manner not unlike what a couple of goofy College Freshman/Sophomore-year students would do, then gently caress yeah it's rad. :)

I like how this has basically covered whatever bases Nisekoi used to take in the goofy/awesome faces department with at least once every chapter.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
they're clashing because it's his dad, his eternal rival. But next chapter they'll amaze everyone because Soma was his sous chef since infancy

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Wark Say posted:

The official term is "revertigo".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/201/3996/1

New chapter, see if you can spot the best face in it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Obviously it's Rook Erina.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I was thinking this one but there are some others this chapter that are pretty good

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

no questions

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New Chapter

Adbot