Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I think they could repurpose that office from the anniversary event. Anyone considering purchasing a jump potion would have to sit down in game for a 30 minute consultation with a virtual Yoshi-P to go over potential downsides (social alienation, psychological problems, not using cleric stance..) before being allowed to complete their purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
EDIT: Ignore this.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

seiferguy posted:

So after a vacation away from the game, I'm trying to get back into it, and kind of wanted to try playing with the gamepad (a DS4 on a PS4). Any tips to gamepad play? I've been playing a bit basically with practicing on a dummy, but the menu interface is a little insane.
I have the W cross hotbars visible but don't actually have double tap to access ticked, because I find that a clunky mode of input; I just have them there as a visible indicator of the skills on my L2+R2 and R2+L2 bars so I can see when they're off CD etc.

Example:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Player skill being an argument against Jump Potions is silly, let's be honest here. If any of us invite a friend to play and they want to use a jump potion so they can catch up to us in content, I think it's safe to say that these friends would be willing to listen to us with teaching them core class mechanics and rotations. If friends of people who don't use rotations want to play with those friends, and use jump potions, they were never going to learn class mechanics and proper rotations in the first place. Because that already happens even with the treadmill in place.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Double Crossbars are the best. I switched to using a controller quite some time ago and I play far better than I could ever manage on keyboard. I play with Hold and the double tap for extended crossbars and it works well for me, I just put the slightly less used stuff on the back bars so I don't have to go to them too much.

My DPS buttons are all on Set 2, so when I'm switching over to deeps I just hit Cleric Stance then RB + B. Cleric Stance is set to the same place on that bar as well so I just hit it then RB + Y to go back to heal mode.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Skaw posted:

Player skill being an argument against Jump Potions is silly, let's be honest here. If any of us invite a friend to play and they want to use a jump potion so they can catch up to us in content, I think it's safe to say that these friends would be willing to listen to us with teaching them core class mechanics and rotations. If friends of people who don't use rotations want to play with those friends, and use jump potions, they were never going to learn class mechanics and proper rotations in the first place. Because that already happens even with the treadmill in place.

Yeah but a lot of people who buy skip potions aren't gonna have friends, they're just gonna see an ad for a game, decide to try it out and figure that buying their way to the new stuff is the good and proper thing to do. People do buy MMOs on their own volition, not just because of peer pressure.

100%, skip potions will increase the amount of kinna weapon equivalent wielding terribads in soloqueue exdr.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I'm still super new to the game (level 20) and I only can really play in short chunks. I really really like the game but honestly I can go watch story summaries online, but I'd rather experience it myself. However, the earlier parts of the MSQ are sludge and I'd love to be able to jump to 50 and blast through up to 3.0, or preferably half all the crud cleaned out of 2.0 and like triple exp given out so I can blast through that way.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

My hot take is that leveling potions are a bad fix to a worse problem. It'd be better to go back to ARR and work on fixing its issues and streamlining content, keep the highs and discard the lows. There's good stuff in ARR but it's covered in padding and other time wasters you see in MMORPGs and I'd bet it's doing more harm to the playerbase at this point than good. Fixing it is a huge task compared to something that just sets your plot flag to be at the start of 3.0/4.0 so :rip: fixing it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mymla posted:

Yeah but a lot of people who buy skip potions aren't gonna have friends, they're just gonna see an ad for a game, decide to try it out and figure that buying their way to the new stuff is the good and proper thing to do. People do buy MMOs on their own volition, not just because of peer pressure.

100%, skip potions will increase the amount of kinna weapon equivalent wielding terribads in soloqueue exdr.

Yes I suppose some people like that exist but I kind of doubt there is a large number of them willing to pay double the cost of the game in total in order to not have any friends waiting at the finish line and no idea what to do.

I can deal with an occasional ex roulette where somebody is coaching their friends in what order to push buttons. I already deal with people who never learned that in the first place and I don't see jump potions greatly increasing the chances of meeting them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mymla posted:

there is zero excuse for anyone in the goon FCs for running exdr solo. You might have to wait 5 minutes to get someone depending on what people are doing, but if you ask you will almost always have a response.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Scrublord Prime posted:

My hot take is that leveling potions are a bad fix to a worse problem. It'd be better to go back to ARR and work on fixing its issues and streamlining content, keep the highs and discard the lows. There's good stuff in ARR but it's covered in padding and other time wasters you see in MMORPGs and I'd bet it's doing more harm to the playerbase at this point than good. Fixing it is a huge task compared to something that just sets your plot flag to be at the start of 3.0/4.0 so :rip: fixing it.

I agree, but that's a rather huge undertaking to strip things out and adjust every progression flag to now point several steps in advanced from what they were set to previously.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I still haven't seen a legitimate reason explained, would you be so kind? Because you are quite literally wrong about it according to actual sales numbers, so I'm curious what you think the legitimate reason is.

And if your reason is "because players will be bad" then fuckin lol, do you even play with pubs? This is the game with "honest" healers and tanks, how can you even argue it with a straight face?

Try reading the thread. There are people posting their reasons for not liking it this very instant.

I know it takes a lot more effort than just calling people dumb and mad, but please try to understand other people's arguments.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mymla posted:

its almost as though the devs have hard data about who does and doesn't buy the jump potion on the servers on which they already exist and reality doesn't conform with your weird rambling

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

yoshi-p, modulo whoever translated it posted:

When purchasing the potions, a great number of the players made a purchase once they were familiar with the game after leveling to level 30 through the free trial or with an active account. With this said, we're seeing data that shows that there are not many instances of completely new players purchasing them.

I'm not saying its non-existent, but it's much lower that the worst case scenario that is being assumed.

However, once we begin the service for Stormblood, we can assume many players will jump to Heavensward, and these players will join at level 60, leading to a short period of time where there may be large skill gap between existing and new players.

There were about 20-21% percent of those who purchased story jump potions along with the above conditions. From those who have purchased the job jumping potions, it looks like there is a good amount of players who want to experience the main scenario themselves.

Additionally, from those who have purchased the potions, we can see that over 50% of the players have been playing longer than three months. Therefore, these potions are either helping motivate these players, or being purchased by players with high motivation.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
but sure, keep talking about how this is going to be the worst thing ever, because i guess americans play video games differently than those shifty inscrutable orientals or something idk

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

seiferguy posted:

So after a vacation away from the game, I'm trying to get back into it, and kind of wanted to try playing with the gamepad (a DS4 on a PS4). Any tips to gamepad play? I've been playing a bit basically with practicing on a dummy, but the menu interface is a little insane.

I've been using a controller on PC my entire time thus far. While now I have a fancy new Steam Controller (which has been good for quite a few things including being able to use all buttons on the move) before that I used a Wii U Pro Controller, so I'm used to the "standard" allotment of buttons.

First, Hold, Toggle, or Mixed. Pick one and get used to it. Toggle is much easier on your fingers over a long amount of time, Hold lets you use use the double tap crossbars (the WXHB in the options). Personally, I use Mixed. I don't want to have to hold down a should button when doing crafting, but I like to be able to not have to toggle on and off all the time. It takes a bit of time to get used to, and it's definitely not for anyone. The timing for when a press counts as a hold and a toggle is consistent, but there's no real indicator so you just have to know it. If that's not your thing, don't both with Mixed: at least with Hold or Toggle you always know what you're getting.

Secondly, the Expanded Hotbars, activated by going from hold L2 then pressing R2 or vice versa. You'll either want those, or you want to be very good at using R1+button to switch bars. Either works but find a system that works for you. I personally have the expanded bars for general sets of abilities. So, for example R2->L2 bar is everything Aetherflow: Aetherflow itself as well as all my abilities that use it.

Thirdly, your instinct as well as the game's default will be to put your attacks on R2+Face Buttons. This is mostly okay. If you're not a spellcaster. If you're a spellcaster, you want as many spells as practical on the D-Pad.

No, really. You can't move while casting, and you have to stop to cast. Your face buttons are precious resources that should be used for abilities you'll need to use on the move. Don't treat this as a hard and fast rule. I don't: I have Bio 2 and Miasma on L2+Triangle/X because I have Bio and Miasma 2 there, and I'd rather have abilities that make semantic sense to be near each other than to stress that I have fewer buttons for movement casting. That said, I'm a Summoner and a good deal of my on-the-move spells are going to involve Ruin 2 so I don't need many of those.

This is more pertinent for healers, though. Healers want attacking spells on the D-Pad commands. Why? You want healing spells where you can quickly target, and it's faster to scroll up and down with the D-Pad with your left hand and then heal with your right than using the D-Pad to scroll and then that same D-Pad with a shoulder button to heal. That second one is a lot more prone to errors.

If it can go on a backup bar, do so. I have Cross Hotbars 1, 2, 3, and 5 set to not be shared: not be per class. 1 is my main bar where everything I need at a moment's notice goes. Hotbar 2 is my secondary bar for things like items, Limit Break, and moves I want on call but don't always need available (meaning Summon 1/2/3), or filler space such as the Beckon emote for that one levequest. Hotbar 3 is where my Expanded Hotbars direct to. Why 2 and not 3? Because switching between Hotbars 1 and 2 is easy (R1+Triangle/Circle) but switching between Hotbar 1 and 3 is a bit more difficult (as Triangle and X are a bit farther from each other). Finally, Hotbar 5 is for storage. At the moment, it's just where my pet commands go. My Summons are actually macros to swap the three usable abilities for whichever Egi is out onto slots on my Hotbar 1 from Hotbar 3 (The only one that really needs this treatment is Garuda but I'm trying to get used to it with all of them).
As a final hotbar note, don't put Sprint with your main stuff. Find a shared hotbar where you put miscellaneous things and just put it there. I have mine on Hotbar 4 L2+Triangle. That way if you need to sprint it's always in the same spot, and you don't need to work an ability set around Sprint muscle memory.

Everyone and their mother has written words about targeting, so I'll just tell you that there's no easy solution: it just comes with practice. If you somehow don't know, the main ways of targeting are the following:

Left and Right on the D-Pad: Free target among everything in view according to your current target filter settings (learn these love these).
Up and Down on the D-Pad: Scroll up and down through your party list. So freaking important
Holding L1 with no crossbars active + Up and Down on the D-Pad: Scroll through the enmity list. I don't particularly like this one, but that's because I use Mixed hotbars so not having a hotbar up doesn't happen often. Don't I target party members, though? Sure, but I've got my muscle memory down to bring down the hotbars when I need to do so.
Holding L1 with no crossbars active + Left and Right on the D-Pad: Scroll through Alliance members. By the time you recognize a time that this is useful and you start paging through everyone to pick a healer to Raise, you'll likely be dead. It's there, though.
Just pressing X with no target: Target the object according to your target filters closest to your character, prioritizing ones your character is facing (not the camera, your character). This can seem a bit useless in combat but it's actually the most common and useful out of combat targeting method.

All of those above ones make a "soft target". If you soft target something with no hard target and use a valid ability on it (so not a heal on an enemy, for example), it'll switch to a hard target. You can also switch it to a hard target by pressing X. If you soft target something and use an ability with a current hard target, you'll jump back to your hard target. You'll recognize the difference between these in the iconography and highlight colors, so I won't bore you with these. It's good to know though, because...

L1 and R1 with a cross hotbar active: Switch hard target left and right across enemies on the visible screen. This is what I use almost all the time in combat. Since I use Mixed hotbars, doing this does not involve holding down a trigger at the time, which is good because it's a bit faster with your fingers that way. Notably, this does switch your hard target, so if you want to jump over to something to drop a Bio or whatever, you'll need to switch back manually.
There's one more targeting method that's really useful, especially for healers. In your basic button configuration, go switch L3 from being Toggle Stance to Assist Target. That is, as you likely know, "my target's target". Learn to love it: it's pretty versatile and on a button you can click on the move if you're dexterous enough

Not a single one of these methods is the single best way to target anything in a pinch. I'd say the biggest challenge for a controller user is that you'll need to know the vast majority of these in order to act quickly on whatever strikes your fancy. At the very least, you're going to want to regularly know how to switch between party target scrolling with up and down and enemy targeting with L1 and R1, as well as adding in X and L3 when necessary.

Finally, there's area targeting with various thing, such as Shadow Flare or caster Limit Breaks. Just switch all of these to a macro saying "/action "whatever" <t> [nextline] /action "whatever"". This will center the AOE on whatever your current target is (and with no target let you place it as normal), which nine times out of ten is where you want it anyway, and that remaining ten percent is better served by you popping the spell now as opposed to taking two seconds to position it. Finally, remember that macro'd area targets will deselect your hotbar and un-macro'd area targets will need your hotbar to be deselected to move and activate. Basically you need to remember to bring your hotbar back up after starting the cast. Also, the position of the targeting cursor (think of it like an invisible mouse cursor) will always stay at the same position on your screen, even between casts. If you don't want to macro, then remember you can just point the camera to aim the target circle as a quick and dirty solution.

A final minor note: your cross hotbars have two basic possible layouts. In the default, holding R2 or L2 brings up their half of the hotbar, with the D-Pad grabbing the left side of that half and the face buttons using the right side. The other layout is for L2 to grab the left cross of each bar's half and R2 to grab the right cross of each bar's half. I prefer the second, personally. I kept getting confused on doing R2+D-Pad or L2+face button stuff since I couldn't keep straight what was left and right. This way, it's much easier to see which is the D-Pad half and which is the face button half. This also makes button layouts divisions make more sense: your primary divisions are D-Pad versus face button, not L2 versus R2.

I'm not going to post my current button layout because, as I said above, I have a different controller now and so am not as subject to the controller limitations. I will post what I used at Summoner 50 before I got my Steam Controller, though. This layout breaks half of my suggestions above and half of it isn't in the same place it used to be. It's still a good illustration, I feel: I never had any issues getting through any content up through 2.2 or so with this layout. If you feel there's much to critique, then you're better off with a controller than you might think.

Hotbar 1:
R2:
Circle: Ruin
X: Ruin 2
Square: Shadow Flare
Triangle: Physick
Right: Bio
Down: Miasma
Left: Miasma 2
Up: Bio 2

L2:
Circle: Aetherflow
X: Energy Drain
Square: Bane
Triangle: Fester
Right: Enkindle
Down: Spur
Left: Rouse
Up: Sustain

Hotbar 2:
R2:
Circle: Summon 3
X: Summon 2
Square: Summon 1
Triangle: Swiftcast
Right: Virus
Down: Eye for an Eye
Left: Limit Break
Up: Ether of the Day

L2:
Circle: Resurrection
X: Blizzard 2
Square: Tri-Bind (it looks pretty and has a fun sound effect)
Triangle: Swiftcast

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mymla posted:

I'd give this some credence except in every MMO I've ever played most pubs are terrible as gently caress and this one is really no different. People who are interested in playing their class well are going to play their class well. People who just want to see the pretty shatter icon of bliz 3 over and over agan are going to do that. The skip potion just means these people will be inflicted on you a month earlier than they would have otherwise.

I mean if you are going to give made up evidence of why a thing is bad, I'll give my anecdotal evidence about a WAR tank in ex roulette last night who despite having a relic weapon couldn't keep multitarget threat over me keeping his rear end alive.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Reiterpallasch posted:

but sure, keep talking about how this is going to be the worst thing ever, because i guess americans play video games differently than those shifty inscrutable orientals or something idk

No see if you like MMO's clearly you don't mind wading and grinding through lots and lots of old content and busy to get to the thing you just bought.

Also I think the 2.X storyline is the weakest part of the game because of that pointless padding and busywork.

No my neck doesn't hurt from all this whiplash.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This thread would be a lot less worse if people actually read what other people were posting instead of cherrypicking and misrepresenting in a weak attempt to get some sick owns in.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I still haven't seen a legitimate reason explained, would you be so kind? Because you are quite literally wrong about it according to actual sales numbers, so I'm curious what you think the legitimate reason is.

The problem is it just sidesteps the issue instead of actually addressing it. People would be less inclined to want to level skip if the early content wasn't so cripplingly dull. They would be less inclined to want to skip if they could be level-sync'd upwards as well as downwards like in GW2. Nevermind all the hoops of actually playing with another person in the overworld this game throws at you.

I am all for the jump potions because they are certainly better than nothing, but they aren't as good as fixing these issues would be. Fixing these issues would take time and energy the team probably doesn't have while they are probably in crunch time working on the expansion though.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I dunno, i liked playing through the story so far. :shrug: This thread has shown there are people who have skipped all cutscenes and that is fine as is paying a fee to skip that content anyway. It's their time /money spent, not mine. Current solution seems to offer an okay situation for both parties.

I won't say ARR story quests were perfect but retroactively fixing them to appeal a minority doesn't sound like good use of resources. I'd rather see more new content anyhow.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Holyshoot posted:

Whats an honest healer or tank? Something I missed apparently. Is it a name made up by reddit for healers and tanks who only do tanking and healing and don't try to do dps as well?

Honest healer: If nothing needs healing, they're not using Cleric Stance and adding DPS, "DPS isn't my job, if I wanted to DPS I wouldn't have queued healer!"

Honest tank: One group of mobs at a time, no chain or multipulls, and you will kill these mobs in the exact order that I mark them. "Respect the content!"

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'd give this some credence except in every MMO I've ever played most pubs are terrible as gently caress and this one is really no different. People who are interested in playing their class well are going to play their class well. People who just want to see the pretty shatter icon of bliz 3 over and over agan are going to do that. The skip potion just means these people will be inflicted on you a month earlier than they would have otherwise.

I mean if you are going to give made up evidence of why a thing is bad, I'll give my anecdotal evidence about a WAR tank in ex roulette last night who despite having a relic weapon couldn't keep multitarget threat over me keeping his rear end alive.

Ding ding ding

This is why the "omg POTD is ruining my exdr" argument rings hollow to me. This game has 0 resources teaching you how to play your job at max level properly. I've seen tons of newbies in roulettes who were doing something very wrong, got corrected, and were thankful/surprised, and took the advice. MMOs in general have an expectation that to gitgud you either need good instincts or you wait for people who do to post your rotation online and you memorize it.

The people who are going to be good at this game are going to be good regardless of jump potions or POTD - they have the instincts or the drive to better themselves and do well. The people who don't aren't - maybe some content that actually reinforced good play might help, but then again probably not.

The "ugh, bads in my exdr" argument is hollow, elitist garbage.

The only point I've seen in this thread wrt jump potion downsides is the fact that they're monetizing not fixing their content's problems. That's worrying, to a degree, but I'd like to think that everyone here who cares enough to post their opinion has enough invested in this game to have some faith in the devs. I'm waiting to see how it plays out, but I'm hopeful.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

I'm not saying its non-existent, but it's much lower that the worst case scenario that is being assumed

He's literally agreeing with me in that post, mate. But sick burn, I guess.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

We had 4 healers in POTD so two of them said it was 'impossible' to win and abandoned on floor 41 of the 41-50 set because 'The boss enrages really fast'.

Spoilers we won and she did like nothing because her mechanics get stronger if you get hit by poo poo, not 'enraging'. Also my buddy there got levels 14, 15, and 16 off of the single clear and I got 90% of my level 50.

We didn't even get any damage up poms or anything. We manticored the last 3 floors and had 1 Succubus for the boss at the start and that was it, other then that we just dodged mechanics, used dots, and DPS'd her down. there was literally never any danger.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Some people are really poo poo at this game, you would probably have wiped dragging their asses to the boss.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thanks! Yeah, the hardest part I've gotten used to is targeting, but knowing that holding down buttons does help. I also wasn't aware of the W thing, so I'll definitely do that. I've been practicing on bard and it took me awhile to get the iron jaws timing down after figuring out where I put that button.

I'll probably get a cheap keyboard for typing (a mouse isn't really necessary considering the DS4 touchpad), but yeah I think I'll try this for a bit.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Honest healer: If nothing needs healing, they're not using Cleric Stance and adding DPS, "DPS isn't my job, if I wanted to DPS I wouldn't have queued healer!"

Honest tank: One group of mobs at a time, no chain or multipulls, and you will kill these mobs in the exact order that I mark them. "Respect the content!"

As official Loremaster of this, it's "Respectful Tank" (or Secure PLDs, because PLD is the bestest tank, and clearly needed no buffs at 3.0).

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly the only thing that baffles me about skip potions is that the big selling point and major draw of the game versus other MMOs is the story arcs, and if you just skip that then what the hell is the even the point of playing FF14? I won't begrudge people their preferences though, and it's probably a net positive for the game since the more people playing the better queues and market boards and all that get. And if I had to have an alt on another server for some strange reason I'd totally buy one, anyway.

Stallion Cabana posted:

We had 4 healers in POTD so two of them said it was 'impossible' to win and abandoned on floor 41 of the 41-50 set because 'The boss enrages really fast'.

Spoilers we won and she did like nothing because her mechanics get stronger if you get hit by poo poo, not 'enraging'. Also my buddy there got levels 14, 15, and 16 off of the single clear and I got 90% of my level 50.

We didn't even get any damage up poms or anything. We manticored the last 3 floors and had 1 Succubus for the boss at the start and that was it, other then that we just dodged mechanics, used dots, and DPS'd her down. there was literally never any danger.
It's staggering how many people are bad at Edda. :psyduck: I don't even bother doing 41-50 in pugs anymore because I wound up sitting at like 20% success rate for clearing the thing because people are so bad at not standing in poo poo, even when it's politely explained how the mechanic works and that the run is a wash if it's messed up. Thank god 51+ seems to be a lot saner, since even if you get one of those teams that has to murder everything in the way they still had enough situational awareness to not stand in an AoE and kill everyone.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Asimo posted:

Honestly the only thing that baffles me about skip potions is that the big selling point and major draw of the game versus other MMOs is the story arcs, and if you just skip that then what the hell is the even the point of playing FF14? I won't begrudge people their preferences though, and it's probably a net positive for the game since the more people playing the better queues and market boards and all that get. And if I had to have an alt on another server for some strange reason I'd totally buy one, anyway.

ff14 has alot of really fun fights with both cool mechanics and really great visuals, i consider those the big selling point before the story

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Asimo posted:

It's staggering how many people are bad at Edda. :psyduck: I don't even bother doing 41-50 in pugs anymore because I wound up sitting at like 20% success rate for clearing the thing because people are so bad at not standing in poo poo, even when it's politely explained how the mechanic works and that the run is a wash if it's messed up. Thank god 51+ seems to be a lot saner, since even if you get one of those teams that has to murder everything in the way they still had enough situational awareness to not stand in an AoE and kill everyone.

I agree and disagree. I just resubscribed after not playing since the first two months. I bought Heavensward and wanted to see the cool new stuff, but instead I had to spend most of the week doing 100 quests just to get access. The story picked up near the end before 3.0 content but that didn't excuse all the filler content of "Oh go bring this item to that person to kill time."

Heavensward's story was really good though, so I can see why people may want to get up the that instead of sitting at level 50 stuff for a week of catch-up.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I've got a friend who plays on PC and hasn't been able to download 3.5 since its release. It just hangs when he attempts to download the updated patch information. The only thing I can think that could reliably fix this would be a complete fresh reinstallation, but we're hesitant to do that since he had a great deal of trouble just downloading the game in the first place. He's got a VPN now and it works but he's still having the issues, which makes me hesitant. I don't know if anyone might have any advice, but if you do, we'd be appreciative. Stuff like this just makes me thankful that I've never had any issues running the game on PC or PS4.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Not working for me in the UK, :rip:.

Yeah... looks like they fixed it soon after I posted about it. It was apparently an oversight and they quickly removed it after they realized people were able to re-use the code over and over again.

SE_Kahuna posted:

Hey everyone!
This has now been fixed! Any discount codes sent out won't work anymore and you shouldn't get any more codes when ordering the stream.
We're still investigating the cause for this together with Cleeng. Apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Failboattootoot posted:

The problem is it just sidesteps the issue instead of actually addressing it. People would be less inclined to want to level skip if the early content wasn't so cripplingly dull. They would be less inclined to want to skip if they could be level-sync'd upwards as well as downwards like in GW2. Nevermind all the hoops of actually playing with another person in the overworld this game throws at you.

I am all for the jump potions because they are certainly better than nothing, but they aren't as good as fixing these issues would be. Fixing these issues would take time and energy the team probably doesn't have while they are probably in crunch time working on the expansion though.

Yeah, how'd remaking all of the old leveling content work out for WoW, again?

This is a good point to make if we were talking about infinite resources, but we're not and we never will. Even if blizzard had delivered all of that plus 3 times as much content as they did, the fact that the redoing of old content happened will rub older players the wrong way because it's development time not spent making new stuff. It's lovely, but that's the way it is. It's not about them being in crunch time, it's that there will never be a good opportunity for them to do what you're suggesting, and frankly it's not worth it to bother.

Fister Roboto posted:

This thread would be a lot less worse if people actually read what other people were posting instead of cherrypicking and misrepresenting in a weak attempt to get some sick owns in.

There isn't an :ironicat: big enough for you, dude. Holy poo poo.

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Then why skip any of it? It's still good MMO content, just not the fresh stuff. I'm just highlighting the fact if someone new is simply looking into playing a game with their buds paying a sum close to a hundo just to catch up is a pretty steep price compared tp the entry price which still allows you to play with friends.

But let's be honest: majority of those prospect mmorpger friends will not keep playing which is why this thread recommends rolling with goons who actually do. Who are more than happy to run the old content regardless.

Yup. And I don't see it really affecting my game whatsoever so ehh.

I must have misunderstood what you were getting at, I think we agree. If you're arguing the price is poo poo, then yeah I can see that, but the potion existing for other people is fine and the best way to improve it would be to bundle it with stormblood or something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
One of the largest factors in player retention for online gaming is player involvement, and the easiest way to hook a person in that way is being part of a community in the game. Jump Potions do more to help that than streamlining old content because yes while people are always coming (and leaving) a game, the bulk of activity is in the newest content and a person who jumps ahead is much more likely to stay even if they aren't doing it to join friends. If they are doing it to join friends then it is basically all positives for the devs when it comes to that player. The odds (and duration) of retention are significantly increased and the closest thing to a loss is that the person isn't stuck playing the older content for a few days/weeks/months first, content they aren't as interested in and thus carries a higher risk of burn out and loss of said player.

None of the arguments in this thread come anywhere close to outweighing the positives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edda being a stumbling block for people is weird to me. I wiped my first time doing it because I had no idea what the gimmick was, it was explained and then we effortlessly shitstomped her. It's not a hard gimmick.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Edda being a stumbling block for people is weird to me. I wiped my first time doing it because I had no idea what the gimmick was, it was explained and then we effortlessly shitstomped her. It's not a hard gimmick.
"Don't get hit" is a pretty tall order, for some people

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
"be near the boss so you can get inside the eye of the storm AOE and not at loving max range" is what trips most of the pugs up.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

homeless snail posted:

"Don't get hit" is a pretty tall order, for some people
pattern recognition is a very unique skill possessed by only a handful of people across the whole world

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dukka posted:

pattern recognition is a very unique skill possessed by only a handful of people across the whole world

This post is quite depressing because while one wishes it were a joke, anecdotal evidence will 100% of the time lead to the contrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr. Locke posted:

Also see-First Demiurge's Infusion in Sophia EX. I have never, ever seen that mechanic actually executed correctly. I've seen it ATTEMPTED, but never actually done.

Wait. What?

• Locked thread