Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
When I was a kid I played Lego Island and I still vividly remember a game glitch that I can't find any record of online. The game froze for a moment, then the idyllic sky went red and the clouds turned black. All the lego characters then began to fall to pieces and reform in constant flux with their heads spinning. The sea turned into general static, i.e. black/white green/pink and the giant square land textures turned into Big Brother-esque screens of the Lego person's face you were talking to. So I was just standing on a giant talking face while the person was just disassembling and reassembling before my eyes, head spinning Exorcist-style while the happy Lego world turned into hell itself.

Obviously it left quite an impression on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Shady Amish Terror posted:

In fairness, Toady did eventually relent and let someone else rewrite the graphics code since it's not really his focus and it badly needed overhauled. It gives him more time to try to focus on tweaking variables just so so that novice necromancers won't keep giving up necromancy in order to become best-selling ancient-mythical-times authors.

Sounds like they've got their priorities sorted, tbh.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Jeza posted:

When I was a kid I played Lego Island and I still vividly remember a game glitch that I can't find any record of online. The game froze for a moment, then the idyllic sky went red and the clouds turned black. All the lego characters then began to fall to pieces and reform in constant flux with their heads spinning. The sea turned into general static, i.e. black/white green/pink and the giant square land textures turned into Big Brother-esque screens of the Lego person's face you were talking to. So I was just standing on a giant talking face while the person was just disassembling and reassembling before my eyes, head spinning Exorcist-style while the happy Lego world turned into hell itself.

This didn't happen to anyone else. Your childhood home sat on a portal to hell, and you are in hell now.

(For real, though: this is hosed up and awesome and I hope someone can find a clip of it happening)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeza posted:

Needs more photorealistic photos of your family and blast processing.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
If I'm recalling the right game, Lego Island wasn't exactly known for it's implacable stability. Graphical glitches were common. I could be confusing it with one of the racers, though.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Dwarf Fortress is one of those games that are hilarious to hear about, and the bugs they produce are some of the best. Sometimes running with what the game mechanics allow you to do lead to something breaking in amazing ways just like Space Station 13 and all the amazing stories.

Not a bug (I think) because it falls under the normal operation of gameplay but once somehow another player in SS13 asked if I wanted to go on an adventure. I was put into a crate and then he consumed the crate which moved me into some weird void zone where I could still talk over the radio and hear things locally. Then somehow I got out of the crate and subsequently out of his body without any ill effects.

It was a significantly less lethal form of existing inside someone else. (The other way involved attaching a full set of internals, being pumped with a metric poo poo-ton of healing chemicals, then tossed into a deep fryer and eaten. Don't know if that works anymore.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Slightly off-topic! My Hero Academia is a manga / anime about a world where almost everyone has a "quirk" (superpower). Recently a new character was introduced, and we got an explaination of his quirk (read right to left):

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Someone absolutely %100 just wrote clips/zipping/wall ejection into their comic as a superpower, yes.

In a way I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner, I guess.

E:

TopHatGenius posted:

It was a significantly less lethal form of existing inside someone else. (The other way involved attaching a full set of internals, being pumped with a metric poo poo-ton of healing chemicals, then tossed into a deep fryer and eaten. Don't know if that works anymore.)

Also yeah, that was pretty tricky because the amount of damage being deep-fried did tended to put you in the suffocation damage spiral of death (and later the heart failure spiral of death once that was a thing). I don't know if I ever managed it, but then I never produced the industrial quantities of omnizine and atropine it would probably take to fully stabilize after becoming a crunchy critter, unless there was a better way of doing it I never figured out.

Then again, before they introduced diabetic shock/sugar shock/sugar coma stuff, you'd be amazed how long you could prolong your life in an emergency with sugar pills.

Shady Amish Terror has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jan 26, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Slightly off-topic! My Hero Academia is a manga / anime about a world where almost everyone has a "quirk" (superpower). Recently a new character was introduced, and we got an explaination of his quirk (read right to left):

Lucas is that you :eyepop:

(also yeah, video game glitching as a superpower is hilarious and I can't believe it hasn't been done sooner!)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The other thing about the "survive being deep-fried and eaten" SS13 technique is that you can't just hop out of the person who ate you AFAIK; you only come out if they explode into gibs. As soon as this deepfried sacrificial cryostasis technique was discovered, someone went and ate a bunch of medicated-up dudes, then stood on the escape shuttle, screamed, and shoved a chainsaw into his own chest to suicide in a gory explosion that miraculously conjured several perfectly healthy crewmembers into existence.

I believe a few of the funnier turbonerds spent a while experimenting with the game's internal logic for cloning and resurrection to see if it was possible to rig up some kind of recursive fractal deep-fried gibsplosion where Guy 1 gibs himself to spawn Guy 2, who gibs himself to spawn Guy 1 again and so forth, but I don't know if they ever managed to get anywhere with it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
loving hell, yeah, that would take turbonerding on a level I am wholly unfamiliar with, like the guys who figured out how to eat their own or other players' UI elements because they're just in-game objects like everything else in BYOND short of the text-box.

I think one of my favorite 'unintended consequences' that wasn't quite a glitch (but I believe was later patched out), was when they were monkeying around with the forge and someone figured out that it's possible to make an alloy that explodes, violently, in any bashing reaction...but which is itself immune to explosions. Wield an endlessly exploding shovel. Punch people with exploding gauntlets. Wear a suit of reactive armor that gibs anyone who punches you but only knocks you down with a little stun damage because your exploding armor is immune to explosions.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Best part of SS13 insanity when something like the nipple-tweaking suicide bomber happens and just as you're laughing about admin hijinks the whole admin/coder squad comes in yelling "WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU DO. AND HOW"

edit: someone post the admin rant after someone somehow repeatedly blew the station up with potato chips

George Rouncewell has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Jan 26, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

edit: someone post the admin rant after someone somehow repeatedly blew the station up with potato chips

I vaguely recall this. That's after he got mad and removed all the chemistry stations to try to get turbonerds to stop blowing up the station for a day, right?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

loving hell, yeah, that would take turbonerding on a level I am wholly unfamiliar with, like the guys who figured out how to eat their own or other players' UI elements because they're just in-game objects like everything else in BYOND short of the text-box.

I think one of my favorite 'unintended consequences' that wasn't quite a glitch (but I believe was later patched out), was when they were monkeying around with the forge and someone figured out that it's possible to make an alloy that explodes, violently, in any bashing reaction...but which is itself immune to explosions. Wield an endlessly exploding shovel. Punch people with exploding gauntlets. Wear a suit of reactive armor that gibs anyone who punches you but only knocks you down with a little stun damage because your exploding armor is immune to explosions.
I think my favorite with this sort of stuff was when making an alloy of certain metals would impart their qualities to all metals of those types, so someone doing a little work with the arc smelter made entire comets suddenly violently explosive, to the dismay of the miners at the time.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mikl posted:

manga

(read right to left)

No

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Best part of SS13 insanity when something like the nipple-tweaking suicide bomber happens and just as you're laughing about admin hijinks the whole admin/coder squad comes in yelling "WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU DO. AND HOW"

The crashwich was my particular favorite of the bunch.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&pagenumber=453&perpage=40#post434484081

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Crashwich

Another good example is The Crashwich.

Fractal cooking is a time-honoured tradition of SS13 Chefs. You take six food items (almost anything can be deep-fried to turn it into food), make them into a sandwich, use the sandwich to create a sandwich cake (any food can be made into a cake), slice up the cake, use six cake slices to make a sandwich, etc etc etc. This can create unholy monstrosities that lag the poo poo out of everything merely by virtue of existing, sometimes to the point of causing people to crash out as soon as the game tries to display the thing's exponential name. You will note that the Jay Wolff's buttcake I baked there cuts off after a while - its name was so drat big it overflowed the chat buffer. The buttcake is nothing. It and food like it are pitiful hors d'oeuvres compared to THE CRASHWICH.

You see, there's another life-creating mad scientist chemistry recipe in Space Station 13. It's extremely hard to discover and make, but it has the effect of imbuing any object it touches with life. This creates, for instance, a Living Crowbar that floats around and attacks people. At some point a Chef got the brilliant (terrible) idea to combine the living object recipe with fractal cooking.

Enter The Crashwich. Every time this haunted apocalypse of culinary hubris attacked someone, the game reported its name multiple times. When it charged, when it slammed into someone, and every time it hit them, the chat buffer would once again overflow with infinite recursive fractal sandwich. The entire station was brought to its knees by crippling lag, while anyone unfortunate enough to be present for The Crashwich's rampage would immediately crash out and have to reconnect their client, usually to find themselves dead and/or immediately crash out again because The Crashwich was still wreaking havoc.

The admins rushed to intervene, but were alarmed to find that The Crashwich was creating so much lag that most admins who looked at it were reliably crashing. Those with good enough connections to brute-force through all the lag were shocked to discover that the sheer latency generated by the demon sandwich was causing their admin commands to get lost somewhere in the coding nightmare that is Byond. The admins were trying to delete The Crashwich and failing. Ultimately, their efforts were in vain, and the server went down completely. The admins fought The Crashwich and The Crashwich won.

The admins were apparently so impressed that they collectively decided not to ban the responsible party, but instead to deliver a friendly ultimatum: they would not be punished for causing the server to go down in flames, as long as they never created another Crashwich. NEVER AGAIN.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Found it.

popecrunch, during the actual round[/quote posted:

I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. ]

Popecrunch posted:

Yeah I was the admin around for that one.

The chemists were being loving terrorists as usual, blowing people up and melting poo poo. I was pretty drunk and cranky (my default state when adminning) so I told them to knock it off. They didn't, so I deleted their chemical equipment. Then the fuckers started using poo poo from vending machines to make bombs, so I deleted the coffee vending machines they were using. FINE NO MORE HAPPY ELF HOT CHOCOLATE FOR ANYONE. THen the soda machines, then the kitchen and bar stuff, etc. Eventually, all that was left was a snack machine that contained nothing but a couple packets of potato chips, and a sink they could use to get water.

They still managed to create fiery explosions, and to this DAY I have no earthly idea how. POTATO CHIPS AND WATER. I'd even made sure to remove any containers they had on them to keep them from stashing ingredients for future use. Literally all they had access to was potato chips and water.

IIRC the method was mixing and dividing things until you had like 0,1*10^-8 units of water, which you then warmed to an ungodly temperature making the atmos system wig out trying to figure out how that amount of water acts when heated to 1,2341*10^99 Kelvin.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

You can basically go to the old Griefing thread and read any Angry Diplomat post for that. Nipple-bombing in particular is here.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Trawled through the SS13 thread and there are some gems i remember running into:

quote:

DEAD: The living wall lets out a terrifying fart!
The walls were alive and screaming. Their ghosts were vocal as well.

quote:

OOC: Arikie: clowns can slip while piloting a pod and fall out. lol
Clown shoes are hazardous

quote:

OOC: Kevvvv: apparently if you have berserker disease, you can have your heart removed and survive
OOC: Geralltt: so beserker disease makes you heartless somehow?
OOC: Kevvvv: no. some dude got berserker, someone cut his arms off, i extracted his heart and he was still thrashing and screaming
OOC: Kevvvv: incredible
OOC: Kevvvv: he lived for twenty minutes, then the round ended

quote:

Another injured person walks in, and his body is protruding out at a right angle through... his body? He loudly crows that he was just body-slammed so hard that he reproduced asexually.
Getting bodyslammed by and admin-powered MAHCO MANN made a separate laying-down sprite materialize over your normal spaceman sprite.

Finally, the flamethrower challenge which was won by the first applicant. Nobody could top this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsk8m9XjRIM

edit:
Oh poo poo, then there were the spaceflight lockers. Everyone who's played ss13 has probably been welded into a locker and thrown into space. You'll survive for a while until the air runs out.
Anyway, i was welding someone annoying into a locker and accidentally clicked on an open locker with the lit welder.
*You cut leg holes into the locker*
What.
I proceeded to slam the locker shut and weld the door. When my quarry came to i nearly died of laughter when he started running around and marveling at the speed he could travel at. He returned to thank me profusely before going off on adventures.
I quickly informed people of my discovery and next round people were engrossed in Locker Science. It was quickly found out the running-around-wearing-a-locker code was, uh, kludged in and it forgot to check if the player was running around in space but only if they moved diagonally.
People started using lockers as erzatz space shuttles and were attempting to run a lap around the station before running out of air.

George Rouncewell has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Jan 26, 2017

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Last i checked, stealth closets, which are just lockers with a floor tile sprite that traitors can get, worked for that too. The only problem is that when you weld someone in the stealth closet, the sprite disappears, making it permanently unclickable.

Then there is soulsteel, a newish material. If you make a closet out of that, dead ghost players can temporarily posses them and run around, opening and closing the door and loading crap inside themself. Some players used this to load drones and other hostile enemies inside, run up to a player and release.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Beaut.

Also, a small amount of explanation on the doomthrower, and any variants thereof. The chemical reactions in SS13 are complex and many, and they, uh, don't necessarily care about the law of conservation of matter. Smoke reactions can 'inject' all the chemicals they contain into living entities caught in the smoke, like, say, each of the monkeys in a test chamber full of monkeys. Living bodies metabolize some chemicals, and will, for example, turn corn syrup into basic sugar at a slow rate each tick. Sugar is a component in the basic smoke reactions.

With enough monkeys, you can (or at least could, it may have been changed) create self-perpetuating chemical hellstorms with surprisingly little effort. Even more advanced reactions exist where moderating chemicals and various precursors to other chemicals are used to create more energetic or complex mixtures, such that chemical residues on the floor or even a single human body can be enough for a flamethrower mixture to become an intensely ridiculous unstable cocktail of cascading reactions. As demonstrated in the video above, a turbonerd with the right flamethrower mix can decimate an entire wing of the station in a single shot, and will typically have enough ammo for several such attacks.

E: OH RIGHT I just remembered another thing!

Before dynamically becoming fat was reintroduced (and removed again, not sure if it's still there), and before diabetic shock/coma was introduced specifically to nerf it, you could make yourself virtually immune to chemical attack by aspiring to be the biggest fat-rear end you possibly could. You see, bodies are just chemical containers with special rules in SS13, and they have a strict limit to how much they can contain. Make the concerted effort to drink a hundred sodas and completely saturate your body with High Fructose Corn Syrup and you literally COULD NOT be affected by most chemicals because your body had no room to contain them, and the HFCS was constantly being converted into Sugar at a slow rate, and then that Sugar was burned off at a slow rate, giving you a slight boost to speed, stun resistance, choking resistance, melee fatigue, and I believe a tiny amount of bashing damage regeneration. High Fructose Corn Syrup was the poor man's wonder-drug.

Shady Amish Terror has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Jan 26, 2017

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

This was actually me. The alloy would also explode if it got hot, and I managed to create a suit of blast proof armour out of it that was infused with napalm and thus constantly on fire.

If you put it on you would immediately burst into flames and explode, but you were immune to explosions, so you would just continuously explode for the rest of the round because every explosion stunned you so you couldn't take it off.

I remember the first person I showed it to just said "haha it's straight from hell"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

cock hero flux posted:

This was actually me. The alloy would also explode if it got hot, and I managed to create a suit of blast proof armour out of it that was infused with napalm and thus constantly on fire.

If you put it on you would immediately burst into flames and explode, but you were immune to explosions, so you would just continuously explode for the rest of the round because every explosion stunned you so you couldn't take it off.

I remember the first person I showed it to just said "haha it's straight from hell"

Turbonerds like you are what make SS13 fun.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Sorry no you're going to have to expand on this one; people figured out how to eat the loving UI of other players? :catstare:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Sorry no you're going to have to expand on this one; people figured out how to eat the loving UI of other players? :catstare:

I think they deep fat fried a guy's UI then beat him to death with it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Soon players will be able to strangle other players through their monitors.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
So how close are we to someone creating an actual sentient being within SS13?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So SS13 is a game made on the worst engine known to man, BYOND. Due to this, every player's UI is in fact actually a series of objects contained within their body that only they can see.

In Genetics you can give people a mutation called Matter Eater, which allows them to eat normally inedible objects, which certain restrictions on very large items. There's also a booster gene, which when combined with Matter Eater removed those restrictions.

People who activate the gene get a list of all the objects nearby that they can eat. People with the boosted version would, looking at this list, notice an item called "hud". This was their own UI, which would disappear if they selected it. If they were standing next to someone else, their hud would also appear on the list.

This all sounds very unusual but you have to remember that holy gently caress, BYOND is the worst. It is not actually uncommon for you to just find discarded hud elements that have somehow detached themselves from their host players and gone on adventures. I fondly remember the time we found an orphaned strangle button which made someone pass out every time we poked it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

oh dope posted:

So how close are we to someone creating an actual sentient being within SS13?

Well, the engine has a Grumpiness variable and can really only be appeased by stuffing weed or human bodies into its furnaces if you somehow piss it off, so it has feelings but isn't self-aware. The reactions in the game don't really permit anything more than the most basic digital life, but there IS a fully-emulated Operating System controlling most of the functions of the station beneath the surface, so while you can't create life, per se, if you're a real turbonerd you CAN literally hack anything onboard the station. Vending machines, doors, other peoples' PDAs, various departmental equipment...you can literally sniff out network packets on a simulated OS terminal and then write spoofed network packages to almost anything onboard the station that's networked.

Dwarf Fortress is much closer to actual sentience since less of its development time is spent on tweaking the power of mutant fart genes, but it's still going to be a while. Dwarves need to be able to dynamically create, parse, and understand language first, which I expect will be the major dev arc of the 2020's.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Well, the engine has a Grumpiness variable and can really only be appeased by stuffing weed or human bodies into its furnaces if you somehow piss it off, so it has feelings but isn't self-aware. The reactions in the game don't really permit anything more than the most basic digital life, but there IS a fully-emulated Operating System controlling most of the functions of the station beneath the surface, so while you can't create life, per se, if you're a real turbonerd you CAN literally hack anything onboard the station. Vending machines, doors, other peoples' PDAs, various departmental equipment...you can literally sniff out network packets on a simulated OS terminal and then write spoofed network packages to almost anything onboard the station that's networked.

This reminds me of the time someone somehow figured out how to reliably cause a glitch that let them continue operating a PDA after climbing into the furnace to commit suicide, and promptly put this knowledge to use by simultaneously sending everyone on the station PDA messages under the username "the furnace" demanding sacrifices and threatening terrible vengeance if none were offered. The funniest part was that the Engineer maintaining the actual engine knew it was a prank (but understandably had no idea how the guy was doing it) and tried to stop people from dumping mass quantities of weed and corpses into the furnace because they were loving up his high-powered, but relatively safe and stable, engine loop configuration, which got him beaten down and thrown into the furnace to appease the angry engine god. Without the Engineer around to maintain it and vent pressure now and then, the stable engine loop rapidly became unstable, then became what is commonly called a "hellburn," and in the end, the engine god really did demonstrate its rage by shooting lightning everywhere and then loving exploding in a cataclysmic ball of fire.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
SS13 is one of those games where most bugs are really just emergent gameplay features.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Please be advised all these stories are lies. Here is what actually happens.

You log on.
All the good jobs are taken. You might maybe get botanist or barman but really, you're gonna be a janitor.
You walk around.
Lag spike.
Lag spike.
Annoying sound byte.
Lag spike.
Annoying sound byte.
Another player rushes past you at 300mph.
Lag spike.
Sound byte.
Lag spike.
Another player rushes up to you at 300mph, hits you with whatever they're holding, and then rushes off.
Goon in chat keeps narrating what he's doing.
Lag spike.
Sound byte.
You wander into a bit with no oxygen or a super low temperature.
You die.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
That's why, much like Dwarf Fortress, I will continue to read about the game, rather than play it. Because gently caress these stories are good.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

This all sounds very unusual but you have to remember that holy gently caress, BYOND is the worst. It is not actually uncommon for you to just find discarded hud elements that have somehow detached themselves from their host players and gone on adventures. I fondly remember the time we found an orphaned strangle button which made someone pass out every time we poked it.
Back during Donut 2 or Mushroom station, for a while combat was decided by throw-stun chains. Grab someone, throw them into the wall to stun them, wail on them for a bit, and throw them into the wall again until your attacks kept them down.
I managed to grab myself in my hands and I was able to throw myself around.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

VanSandman posted:

I do recall at one point it was possible to make Dwarfs immune to fire by setting them on fire then extinguishing them once all their fat was burned off, because only fat burned properly.
One good DF bug I remember reading about somewhere, a cat was hunting vermin in a kitchen and caught a salamander. Having a salamander in its inventory set the cat on fire, not immediately fatal but cats didn't have hands so they had no way of removing objects from their inventory, and the inextinguishable burning cat ran through the fortress setting enough things on fire to cause a fortress-ending conflagration.

The bug was patched in proper Dwarf Fortress manner, by adding an openable/closeable jaw-object to cat heads, so they could pick up small objects and then drop them if it caused them damage. I'm sure this led to countless new problems down the line but they'll be incrementally more entertaining.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Croccers posted:

I managed to grab myself in my hands and I was able to throw myself around.

This is as good of a thread title as we're likely to get for some time.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Digirat posted:

This is as good of a thread title as we're likely to get for some time.

I'm more a fan of:

quote:

adding an openable/closeable jaw-object to cat heads

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Syd Midnight posted:

One good DF bug I remember reading about somewhere, a cat was hunting vermin in a kitchen and caught a salamander. Having a salamander in its inventory set the cat on fire, not immediately fatal but cats didn't have hands so they had no way of removing objects from their inventory, and the inextinguishable burning cat ran through the fortress setting enough things on fire to cause a fortress-ending conflagration.

The bug was patched in proper Dwarf Fortress manner, by adding an openable/closeable jaw-object to cat heads, so they could pick up small objects and then drop them if it caused them damage. I'm sure this led to countless new problems down the line but they'll be incrementally more entertaining.

This so perfectly summarizes DF - if there's a bug with the complexity, It's not complex enough.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Disgusting Coward posted:

Please be advised all these stories are lies. Here is what actually happens.

You log on.
All the good jobs are taken. You might maybe get botanist or barman but really, you're gonna be a janitor.
You walk around.
Lag spike.
Lag spike.
Annoying sound byte.
Lag spike.
Annoying sound byte.
Another player rushes past you at 300mph.
Lag spike.
Sound byte.
Lag spike.
Another player rushes up to you at 300mph, hits you with whatever they're holding, and then rushes off.
Goon in chat keeps narrating what he's doing.
Lag spike.
Sound byte.
You wander into a bit with no oxygen or a super low temperature.
You die.

I haven't had anything cool happen in my SS13 games, but I still enjoy them. Just loving around is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Syd Midnight posted:

I believe that resulted in announcement spam of "40d:Cat cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Too injured"

How did it happen?

Your cat kills a vermin.

It reaches down to pick it up.

It realizes it has no hands, cries out "My hands! My beautiful hands! Someone has chopped off my beautiful han... wait, I'm a cat, I don't have hands. Right," and then continues on with its business.

(This error announcement is actually caused by an old bug in the system which was reintroduced in 40d. When a pet cat kills a vermin, it picks it up with its mouth and carries it to its owner, to bask in the display of gratitude that every cat owner shows upon being gifted small dead animals.

Once it gets to its owner, instead of dropping the vermin remains on the floor (as it should), it attempts to drop off the vermin remains at an appropriate location (much like herbalists do with gathered plants), resulting in it being given a "Store Item in Stockpile" job targetted at one of your refuse stockpiles. However, since cats do not have any body parts capable of grasping, the job cancels with the reason "too injured" and the vermin is dropped on the ground.

This behavior does not occur with stray cats (since they don't have an owner, they leave vermin remains exactly where they were killed), nor will it occur if you have no accessible refuse stockpiles. )