Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Did Cena's rise to the top start the trend of the heel announcers opposing every face except for the top baby face? I seem to remember King hated Austin/Rock no matter who they were against, in contrast to JBL/Corey's, "you gotta respect the BIG DOG" while otherwise just defending whatever tactics the heel uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tweak posted:

Did Cena's rise to the top start the trend of the heel announcers opposing every face except for the top baby face? I seem to remember King hated Austin/Rock no matter who they were against, in contrast to JBL/Corey's, "you gotta respect the BIG DOG" while otherwise just defending whatever tactics the heel uses.

It was really only to try and combat the rising tide of hate from male fans. Before that, Jesse Ventura would sometimes compliment babyfaces that could wrestle like Bret Hart

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What wrestlers actually did a good job of changing their whole persona when going from face to heel or vice-versa? It seems like a lot of guys, including many good wrestlers, are really 99% the same character before and after turning.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

sean10mm posted:

What wrestlers actually did a good job of changing their whole persona when going from face to heel or vice-versa? It seems like a lot of guys, including many good wrestlers, are really 99% the same character before and after turning.

Jericho in 2008, to the point where a number of WWE heels tried to copy him to no success.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nut Bunnies posted:

It was really only to try and combat the rising tide of hate from male fans. Before that, Jesse Ventura would sometimes compliment babyfaces that could wrestle like Bret Hart

I think Jesse's a outlier because Heenan would mostly make jokes and such. But Jesse was a bit more nuanced, and you could tell when he really liked/respected somebody, alignment aside. Although Heenan would do that in WCW later on...But that was probably more because Bobby no longer cared.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

sean10mm posted:

the rock v rocky maivia

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Max Coveri posted:

Jericho in 2008, to the point where a number of WWE heels tried to copy him to no success.

Miz copied him straight to the main event of WrestleMania despite not being particularly good or over.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jack Swagger being made to be a Jericho clone was poor as well

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Jesse's a outlier because Heenan would mostly make jokes and such. But Jesse was a bit more nuanced, and you could tell when he really liked/respected somebody, alignment aside. Although Heenan would do that in WCW later on...But that was probably more because Bobby no longer cared.

Bobby Heenan had a pretty amazing run of ALWAYS hating Hulk Hogan. The night that the NWO took over Nitro (as in they literally replaced all the WCW logos with NWO ones and completely derailed a show) Heenan tried to curry favor with the NWO so he wouldn't lose his job. They asked him a series of questions and he just readily agreed to all of them with no regard for his dignity. Then they asked him if he agreed that Hulk Hogan was the greatest Champion of all time and you see Bobby just freeze for a moment as he has to fight his natural instincts, eventually spitting out an agreement :allears:

Nut Bunnies posted:

Jack Swagger being made to be a Jericho clone was poor as well

Yeah any chance he might have had died there. It just didn't work at all :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Best entrance theme featuring a saxophone?

Many would say Val Venis, but I'm here to tell you that they are wrong and the answer is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdSFkbrKfq4

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Great Power Uti

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Many would say Val Venis, but I'm here to tell you that they are wrong and the answer is:

This isn't a link to the Baker Street remix Shocker used.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i was just about to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ-ta01KGBk

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

That might be the best if Ravishing Rick Rude‘s didn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHaBPCNM17w

I've heard this one on many an episode of Top Gear.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ghostpilot posted:

That might be the best if Ravishing Rick Rude‘s didn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHaBPCNM17w

I've heard this one on many an episode of Top Gear.

that's actually jeremy clarkson

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TV Zombie posted:

So Road Dogg helped write/wrote SDL last night, is that true? Where is Ryan Ward? Is he off of SDL now?

OH YOU DIDN'T KNOW!?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

and here's the second best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvhnpo9yPoQ

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Watching wrestling again after about 15 years and I'm wondering why there aren't many stables around in WWE?

I guess partially it's covered by Smackdown/Raw but that comes out once a year.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

King Faraday posted:

Watching wrestling again after about 15 years and I'm wondering why there aren't many stables around in WWE?

Stables require consistent booking and three or four people on the roster who aren't total chumps.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

King Faraday posted:

Theres' a lot more focus on individual guys or tag teams, instead of having groups of 3+ where it kinda of gets muddled. The only time someone gets a stable and it lasts is if there's some solid plans (even if it is just to build Bray up to lose yet again at Wrestlemania)

Even though the number is really small, there has also been kind a run of actual stables where they've been really goddamned strong to the point of being somewhat detrimental to everyone else over the last 3-5 years. The Shield beat everyone, and now the 3 members are top guys in the company. The Wyatts beat everyone, except the Shield, and they're around, though they exist to build Bray up (though he really needs his big win like 2 years ago). Then there was the New Day, who beat every tag team on the roster repeatedly and set the longest tag team run in company history. (They legitimately broke Demolition's old record form the 80s)

Plus most of the heel stables outside of the 3 have more or less been some sort of authority figure which kinda blurs together after a while.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Both of those make sense, thank you!

I was just a stark comparison after watching Wrestle Kingdom 11 and seeing the GIANT stables they seemed to have there.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

King Faraday posted:

Stables are more of a Russo thing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

King Faraday posted:

Both of those make sense, thank you!

I was just a stark comparison after watching Wrestle Kingdom 11 and seeing the GIANT stables they seemed to have there.

Japanese wrestling stables are a bit different. They often like to organize guys into really loose stable or sub brands that mostly to tell you what flavor of wrestler that guy is. Also in a lot of Japanese companies their reaction to "what do we do with this guy who wrestles like one match a month but is still being paid by us?" is "toss him in a stable with five other dudes like him!"

Lucha, especially AAA, on the other hand is big on powerful stables. They like their groups of 3-6 dudes that absolutely dominate a part of the company for prolonged periods of time. AAA for the past fifteen years has basically been at WCW levels of stabledom.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Japanese wrestling stables are a bit different. They often like to organize guys into really loose stable or sub brands that mostly to tell you what flavor of wrestler that guy is. Also in a lot of Japanese companies their reaction to "what do we do with this guy who wrestles like one match a month but is still being paid by us?" is "toss him in a stable with five other dudes like him!"

Oh, that explains why the entire roster (of a PPV) was in one of the stables.
I just really dug them putting in the own version of their stable logos (especially Cody).

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Lucha, especially AAA, on the other hand is big on powerful stables. They like their groups of 3-6 dudes that absolutely dominate a part of the company for prolonged periods of time. AAA for the past fifteen years has basically been at WCW levels of stabledom.

I've been meaning to get in to Lucha, I hear Lucha Underground is a good/ridiculous time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

King Faraday posted:

I just really dug them putting in the own version of their stable logos (especially Cody).

I've been meaning to get in to Lucha, I hear Lucha Underground is a good/ridiculous time.

Don't let MassRafTer hear you calling Lucha Underground Lucha, he'll bust a gasket.

He wouldn't be wrong though, LU isn't really a good indicator of what "real," Lucha as practiced by AAA and CMLL are. Its an action/adventure/scifi TV series that uses a Lucha-inspired Pro Wrestling Fed/Underground Fighting Ring as a framing device to tell its story.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Don't let MassRafTer hear you calling Lucha Underground Lucha, he'll bust a gasket.

He wouldn't be wrong though, LU isn't really a good indicator of what "real," Lucha as practiced by AAA and CMLL are. Its an action/adventure/scifi TV series that uses a Lucha-inspired Pro Wrestling Fed/Underground Fighting Ring as a framing device to tell its story.

I was misled by the name!

But, fair. I've only been getting back in to wrestling the last few months. Totally appreciate WWE showing me why fans hate Roman Reigns when I was pumped for a Joe entrance.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, Lucha Underground is what happens when Robert Rodriguez produces a wrestling show and sets it more or less in the universe of his movies. And it owns. Catch up if you can, but be patient - the first 7-8 episodes are mostly character introduction and setup. Then their version of the Royal Rumble happens to introduce the title and poo poo gets gradually more and more crazy from there, until before you know it there are time traveling spacemen and immortal gods and skeleton wizards.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Corzaa posted:

Stables are more of a Russo thing.

what on earth

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

King Faraday posted:

if you want a chance to watch some Lucha, I like to recommend the CMLL Friday show

It streams online for free - http://www.clarosports.com/en-vivo02/

CMLL posts their cards a week in advance here: http://cmll.com/?p=2976 (Click Viernes)

this week, the main event should be pretty good, it has two of CMLL's top technicos Volador and Atlantis teaming with Diaman Azul against Los Ingobernables (The Ungovernables).

King Faraday posted:

I was misled by the name!

But, fair. I've only been getting back in to wrestling the last few months. Totally appreciate WWE showing me why fans hate Roman Reigns when I was pumped for a Joe entrance.

There really wasn't a good reason to hate Roman before this Rumble tbh. Most people are carrying forward a 2ish year grudge that's kind of metastasized, because the company wanted to put him in the Main Event of Wrestlemania and carry the company as a top babyaface ala Rock or Stone Cold instead of Daniel Bryan, who was returning from severe neck injury.

They got especially bitter after Bryan had to stop wrestling shortly after Wrestlemania and eventually retired about 10 months later because WWE doctors wouldn't let him wrestle again in their ring because of concussions to the point where people were inventing literal conspiracy theories about why they were holding Bryan back that among other things included Will Smith movies.

It's kind of snowballed from trying to book him in otherwise rational babyface angles against what is irrational hate. Hell, they even pushed him down the card and booked other babyfaces to be better than him and people still boo him.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

if you want a chance to watch some Lucha, I like to recommend the CMLL Friday show

It streams online for free - http://www.clarosports.com/en-vivo02/

CMLL posts their cards a week in advance here: http://cmll.com/?p=2976 (Click Viernes)

this week, the main event should be pretty good, it has two of CMLL's top technicos Volador and Atlantis teaming with Diaman Azul against Los Ingobernables (The Ungovernables).

Plus while Mascara Año 2000 is garbage the young Dinamitas (shoot brothers Sanson and Cuatrero plus their cousin Forastrero who isn't booked) are good and the Relampago(lighting) match between Cavernario and Titan should be really fun. If you didn't know a lightning match refers to a 1 fall match with a 10 minute time limit. All other CMLL matches are 2/3 falls.

The thing that tends to throw off new viewers is the rules in trios matches. Every trio will have a captain named before the match starts. A fall ends when either the captain is pinned/submitted or the two other guys are pinned/submitted.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Thauros posted:

Plus while Mascara Año 2000 is garbage the young Dinamitas (shoot brothers Sanson and Cuatrero plus their cousin Forastrero who isn't booked) are good and the Relampago(lighting) match between Cavernario and Titan should be really fun. If you didn't know a lightning match refers to a 1 fall match with a 10 minute time limit. All other CMLL matches are 2/3 falls.

The thing that tends to throw off new viewers is the rules in trios matches. Every trio will have a captain named before the match starts. A fall ends when either the captain is pinned/submitted or the two other guys are pinned/submitted.

Don't forget about Tirantes.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Spermgod posted:

what on earth

Nation of Domination, DOA, Los Boricuas, the Corporation, the Ministry, the Corporate Ministry, The Union, PMS, the Filthy Animals, Misfits in Action, Main Event Mafia, Immortal, SEX, shall I go on?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Karmine posted:

Nation of Domination, DOA, Los Boricuas, the Corporation, the Ministry, the Corporate Ministry, The Union, PMS, the Filthy Animals, Misfits in Action, Main Event Mafia, Immortal, SEX, shall I go on?

You forgot DX, the Millionaires Club and New Blood.

(Though WCW had long running factions even before Russo got involved)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What was the original idea behind the Nation of Domination? I know that the second incarnation was a serious black power stable, and then the third was more of a "Bunch of black dudes (and Owen) led by the Rock" but what about the first? Farooq, Savio Vega, and Crush? Were the latter two supposed to be sympathetic to the black power movement? And if so, the implications of them leaving the group to form their own racial gangs is even worse.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

What was the original idea behind the Nation of Domination? I know that the second incarnation was a serious black power stable, and then the third was more of a "Bunch of black dudes (and Owen) led by the Rock" but what about the first? Farooq, Savio Vega, and Crush? Were the latter two supposed to be sympathetic to the black power movement? And if so, the implications of them leaving the group to form their own racial gangs is even worse.

If memory serves it was just sort of a group of heels (three wrestlers and about a million lackeys) with a black panther kind of motif and then when it was just black guys in the group it became an actual black power group, complete with every dumbass straw man "maybe it's YOU who is the real racist!" trope you could possibly apply to it.

And then a bunch of white guys came out in blackface to make fun of them and THEY were the babyfaces! Goddamn wrestling is bad.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Do any current wrestlers use a Death Valley Driver as a finisher? (No, not the Attitude Adjuster), or the Northern Lights Bomb?

Two of my favorite ever moves, but they seem to have fallen out of popularity, or been replaced by worse looking variations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Danny Maff uses the Burning Hammer

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Do any current wrestlers use a Death Valley Driver as a finisher? (No, not the Attitude Adjuster), or the Northern Lights Bomb?

Two of my favorite ever moves, but they seem to have fallen out of popularity, or been replaced by worse looking variations.

Meiko Satomura.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
People who watched during the New Gen. How did the Diesel push feel? Similar or worse than the Roman push?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

People who watched during the New Gen. How did the Diesel push feel? Similar or worse than the Roman push?

Diesel's push seemed more organic over the long haul, even if it seemed to come out of nowhere.