Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I'm sure somewhere between this and r/ds and what Derek thinks he is is probably where the truth lies. I'm sure he likes the attention, be it positive or negative.

I guess the big question nobody asked yet is what will Derek do after CIG crashes/successes? Will he find new meaning in life? Take up crochet? Sail the world? Make another iteration of the Battlecruiser series? WWDD???

poo poo, that one is easy. Derek Smart will be all over the tech/gaming sector publications as the #1 authority on how and why the Largest Crowdfunding Game in History crashed and burned. Tv, tech talk shows, lecture circuits, and all of the trappings that will inflate the Warlords ego into the stratosphere and Derek "The Refund Messiah" will be enshrined into all of crowdfunding history. Watch what I tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I kinda hope there's a big hullabaloo about the fall of SC because I want wolf blitzer to read some of my posts verbatim

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ManofManyAliases posted:

Lol -edits a post to push a spin. Good job.

~jokes~

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheAgent posted:

I kinda hope there's a big hullabaloo about the fall of SC because I want wolf blitzer to read some of my posts verbatim

It'll be even better than the time the FTC said "buttcoin"

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheAgent posted:

And to be referred to as "Something Awful Forums poster TheAgent."

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Can one of you clever goons make a poll about the death of SC? Only two options:
1) Slow and agonizing
2) Big bang

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's all those idiots care about; pocket carriers for pocket carriers.

Don't criticise the spaceships until you've sold all yours*

*More free advice.

AP fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 26, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Usually the mistake rookie CEO's make their first run around the block , and a really good way to have every employee from top to bottom despise you

Then in that regard, Chris actually succeeded at something as a CEO.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

And to be referred to as "Something Awful Forums poster TheAgent."
I hope they use twitch clips of ME:A as star citizen footage

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

I agree with Theagent here. They can cut back most personnel, planet landing and most promised features. That should get them running into 2018, then release 3.0 as the MVP.

As long as the JPEG factory is running, they can linger for a couple more years, perhaps more.

Edit: catte in winter, needs heater

There will be torches and pitchforks if planet landing is ever removed. THAT is the only thing the spergs have been chomping at the bit for with the Mystical 3.0 Jeebus Patch.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

There will be torches and pitchforks if planet landing is ever removed. THAT is the only thing the spergs have been chomping at the bit for with the Mystical 3.0 Jeebus Patch.
they will have it in set landings zones with invisible walled in sections (or "levels") of planets that were all created with sq42 in mind

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also derek we might be getting npcs along with crobbers and co in wow 7.3 lol

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

I agree with Theagent here. They can cut back most personnel, planet landing and most promised features. That should get them running into 2018, then release 3.0 as the MVP.

As long as the JPEG factory is running, they can linger for a couple more years, perhaps more.

Edit: catte in winter, needs heater

Is the skin behind the cat his father ?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

they will have it in set landings zones with invisible walled in sections (or "levels") of planets that were all created with sq42 in mind

Which is hilarious. Remember right before COD:IW came out and the spergs tried making GBS threads all over it because it was "on rails"? Good times will be had by all friendo.

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Star Citizen: Around the Verse: Engineering Intelligence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMD-t1OjGys

"This week’s Around the Verse does a deep dive into subsumption. Persistent Universe Director Tony Zurovec and Lead AI Programmer Francesco Roccucci sit down for an in-depth chat about what to expect and fields questions from the community. Also, our UK studio provides an update on the MISC Razor, VFX for the Caterpillar and Herald, and a glimpse at upcoming surface outposts."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

intardnation posted:

you are still here doing the same thing. Who knows who you are on the internet. You could have blogs and be doxxing people.

We know who he is: he's Toast from CIG. Why do you think he's got that avatar?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Quavers posted:

and a glimpse at upcoming surface outposts.
*Olisar ring rolls across a planetary shot like a tumbleweed*

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
They're going to simulate a universe with billions of NPCs and they have four people on their AI team.

They're waiting for functionality that the AI team has barely started working on that will allow designers to make quests. Zurovec just indicated that they haven't started creating quests yet. Even if they cut all of the technical overreach and just tried to make a lovely space WW2 Star Wars: The Old Republic they'd have several years of content creation ahead of them.

Chin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 26, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Elite's combat AI programmer is a single lady and she does a whole lot better job than whoever is in charge of SCs combat AI.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Quavers posted:

Star Citizen: Around the Verse: Engineering Intelligence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMD-t1OjGys

"This week’s Around the Verse does a deep dive into subsumption. Persistent Universe Director Tony Zurovec and Lead AI Programmer Francesco Roccucci sit down for an in-depth chat about what to expect and fields questions from the community. Also, our UK studio provides an update on the MISC Razor, VFX for the Caterpillar and Herald, and a glimpse at upcoming surface outposts."

Take a drink every time they talk about something planned versus implemented.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Sunswipe posted:

We know who he is: he's Toast from CIG. Why do you think he's got that avatar?

so he has been doxxing goons and is full of poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

- Like revoking keys, banning people for dissenting opinions and swindling those into buying ridiculous TACs for a game that was supposed to be released in 2012 (but running for the last mile in 2016)! Ok.
-They didn't declare war. You're fighting windmills because you're a nutjub. They refunded you because you are a ridiculous person to deal wtih and didn't want you to be in the community anymore. They're well in their right to do so.
-And on the employee/contractor point: LOL keep guessing. It's fun.

But I do know this: Deep down inside, you really do like me. I know you care for me, senpai.

OK, I'll bite because making you look stupid is always good for a laugh.

- Like revoking keys

In all games with Beta, keys get revoked. What we did was no different. They were issued free - and subsequently revoked. As if Steam would have allowed us to invalidate paid commercial keys, without there being an uproar and them kicking us off Steam.

Why LOD Beta keys were invalidated

banning people for dissenting opinions

You mean like what you guys do on RSI forum? Like that?

and swindling those into buying ridiculous TACs

quote:

swin·dle
verb
use deception to deprive (someone) of money or possessions.
"a businessman swindled investors out of millions of dollars"
noun
a fraudulent scheme or action.
"he is mixed up in a $10 million insurance swindle"
synonyms: fraud, trick, deception, deceit, cheat, sham, artifice, ruse, dodge, racket, wile; More

What is a Tactical Advancement Kit?
http://cdn.lodmmo.com/tak_comparison02/TAK_store.jpg

quote:

A Tactical Advancement Kit is an optional package which has various item bundles and perks not present in the Starter Kit.

TAKs are 100% optional and are NOT required to play the game. That's why they are - gasp - sold separately as DLC

for a game that was supposed to be released in 2012 (but running for the last mile in 2016)!

Not sure what any of that has to do with anything. But those who are actually following the game - and you know, paid for it - never PAID for a game that was PROMISED to be out in 2012.

The game went on sale for the first time - through Early Access - on 09-15-2014 (Build 00.09.02.03) - with NO delivery date.

Steam Early Access Guidelines.

quote:

When will these games release?

Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.

From our own FAQ (mirrored on the game's store page as well); release date

quote:

HOW LONG WILL THIS GAME BE IN EARLY ACCESS?

It’s ready when it’s ready. Right now it ain’t ready.

Like you, we love Valve, so what other way to honor their awesomeness than to officially support Valve Time?

We’re looking to run the Early Access program until we determine when the game is ready to be flagged as ready for final release. Remember, Early Access games, by Valve’s own EA guidelines, don’t need a release date. It’s up to the developer to determine that.

Of course, this being game development, delays can and most likely will happen. However, we’ll keep you informed every step of the way. Besides, with regular updates, you probably won’t even care when the final version is released since you will be part of the on-going development process and thus have access to our builds. Remember, the game is not just going into development; it has been in development for over four years now and we’re just racing through that last mile.

There are games on Early Access which have been there longer. Aside from the fact that our use of EA is due to our reliance on Valves SteamWorks tools which we don't have to build thus re-inventing the wheel. And since Valve isn't in the business of giving away free stuff, we have to sell something so that they get paid for the resources being used. That's why there are no free games on Steam EA; at least none that I'm aware of.

So, whether the game comes out in 2012, 2017, or 2046 is all immaterial. Anyone buying it, knows the rules. Those who choose not to wait, can get a refund from Valve based on their rules.

Try not to confuse my game with that $142m scam funded by gamers who, in Oct 2012, were PROMISED a game they PAID for to be delivered on Nov 2014, or 18 months thereafter.

They didn't declare war. You're fighting windmills because you're a nutjub. They refunded you because you are a ridiculous person to deal wtih and didn't want you to be in the community anymore. They're well in their right to do so.

Revisionist history are the cornerstone of the Shitizen and Shillizen manifesto. Facts tend to work differently.

FACT: I was never in any such "community", seeing as I had never - ever - posted on the RSI forums, nor Reddit or anywhere else. And CIG got caught in a lie by the very media (PC Gamer and others) they used as a vehicle to vilify me. You are parroting something that was long debunked as being FALSE; even by the same moron who posted about it.

FACT: They refunded me because I wrote a blog critical of the project and which, as of this writing, I have been PROVEN to be correct about.

FACT: Chris Roberts did the same thing The Escapist, and again to me in his well publicized and derided Oct 2015 diatribe

FACT: How I got involved, is all very well documented and not open to revisionism.

And on the employee/contractor point: LOL keep guessing. It's fun.

I don't have to. The joke's on you.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 26, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mods shouldn't tell people to kill themselves.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

- Like revoking keys

In all games with Beta, keys get revoked. What we did was no different. They were issued free - and subsequently revoked. As if Steam would have allowed us to invalidate paid commercial keys, without there being an uproar and them kicking us off Steam.

TAKs are 100% optional and are NOT required to play the game. That's why they are - gasp - sold separately as DLC

for a game that was supposed to be released in 2012 (but running for the last mile in 2016)!

Not sure what any of that has to do with anything. But those who are actually following the game - and you know, paid for it - never PAID for a game that was PROMISED to be out in 2012.

The game went on sale for the first time - through Early Access - on 09-15-14 (Build 00.09.02.03) - with NO delivery date.

There are games on Early Access which have been there longer. Aside from the fact that our use of EA is due to our reliance on Valves SteamWorks tools which we don't have to build thus re-inventing the wheel. And since Valve isn't in the business of giving away free stuff, we have to sell something so that they get paid for the resources being used. That's why there are no free games on Steam EA; at least none that I'm aware of.

So, whether the game comes out in 2012, 2017, or 2046 is all immaterial. Anyone buying it, knows the rules. Those who choose not to wait, can get a refund from Valve based on their rules.

Try not to confuse my game with that $142m scam funded by gamers who, in Oct 2012, were PROMISED a game they PAID for to be delivered on Nov 2014, or 18 months thereafter.

They didn't declare war. You're fighting windmills because you're a nutjub. They refunded you because you are a ridiculous person to deal wtih and didn't want you to be in the community anymore. They're well in their right to do so.

Revisionist history the the cornerstone of Shitizen and Shillizen manifesto. Facts tend to work differently.

FACT: I was never in any such "community", seeing as I had never - ever - posted on the RSI forums, nor Reddit or anywhere else. And CIG got caught in a lie by the very media (PC Gamer and others) they used as a vehicle to vilify me.

FACT: They refunded me because I wrote a blog critical of the project and which, as of this writing, I have been PROVEN to be correct about.

FACT: Chris Roberts did the same thing The Escapist, and again to me in his well publicized and derided Oct 2015 diatribe

FACT: How I got involved, is all very well documented and not open to revisionism.

:lol:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
4m36s in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMD-t1OjGys&t=276s

quote:

Please, please, please, pleeeeease test and report bugs and feedback

Looks like those stats showing minimal testing (something like 1000 backers with more than a few hours IIRC?) of laggy, janky 2.6 aren't helping development.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

- Like revoking keys

The game went on sale for the first time - through Early Access - on 09-15-14 (Build 00.09.02.03) - with NO delivery date.

Revisionist history the the cornerstone of Shitizen and Shillizen manifesto. Facts tend to work differently.

FACT: I was never in any such "community", seeing as I had never - ever - posted on the RSI forums, nor Reddit or anywhere else. And CIG got caught in a lie by the very media (PC Gamer and others) they used as a vehicle to vilify me.

Like a july blog,
Too long
Didnt read

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Price_ASC&term=Early%20Access

oops

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

You mean, Derek fibbed again?????

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Hard-hitting questions...

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's always what to expect, never what we have right here right now.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

If you quote me you could end up on his Posters I Have Been Defeated By List, be careful friend.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Aside from the fact that moron is blocked, my comment was clear. There are no free Early Access games on Steam that I am aware of. And that list doesn't show ANY. A "free" or "free-to-play" game, isn't the same thing. If they are monetized - in anyway - Steam gets a cut (see Planetside2, Warframe etc).

Playing stupid shouldn't be a trait you know.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Aside from the fact that moron is blocked, my comment was clear. There are no free Early Access games on Steam that I am aware of. And that list doesn't show ANY. A "free" or "free-to-play" game, isn't the same thing. If they are monetized - in anyway - Steam gets a cut (see Planetside2, Warframe etc).

Jesus loving Christ you're an idiot

first click: http://store.steampowered.com/app/291550/

Free and Early Access

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Post your loving catte tax. Even I do it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Relax and imagine Chris washing your windows.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Post your loving catte tax. Even I do it.

Ah, right. My bad.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart posted:

- Like revoking keys

The game went on sale for the first time - through Early Access - on 09-15-2014 (Build 00.09.02.03) - with NO delivery date.

Revisionist history are the cornerstone of the Shitizen and Shillizen manifesto. Facts tend to work differently.

FACT: I was never in any such "community", seeing as I had never - ever - posted on the RSI forums, nor Reddit or anywhere else. And CIG got caught in a lie by the very media (PC Gamer and others) they used as a vehicle to vilify me. You are parroting something that was long debunked as being FALSE; even by the same moron who posted about it.

poo poo man, scared the beejesusouttame. Thought it was the ELE.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I'm sure somewhere between this and r/ds and what Derek thinks he is is probably where the truth lies. I'm sure he likes the attention, be it positive or negative.

I guess the big question nobody asked yet is what will Derek do after CIG crashes/successes? Will he find new meaning in life? Take up crochet? Sail the world? Make another iteration of the Battlecruiser series? WWDD???

He is going to write CitizenScammer 3000, it will be a painfully indepth simulation of creating and running crowfunded startup company scam run by a faded developer with decades out of the limelight and industry, desperately trying to achieve relevance and success with a game scam of previously unseen vision, depth, and fidelity while trying to balance QoL issues, like your wife's insistence on being an actress, having a social life, and scheduling European vacations while not leaving the company for too long, all the while optimizing marketing strategies to keep the funds rolling in.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MedicineHut posted:

poo poo man, scared the beejesusouttame. Thought it was the ELE.

I had to look out the window and make sure everything was still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Jesus loving Christ you're an idiot

first click: http://store.steampowered.com/app/291550/

Free and Early Access
"Buy Brawlhalla - All Legends Pack $19.99 Collector's Pack $99.99"

Your pedantry is weak.