Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

You need a grill that can make and hold fire.

That's about it. I use a chargriller duo that I've had to replace some parts on, but it's cheap and lets me do charcoal or gas so whatever.

I just pile some sticks in the back yard, set them on fire, and then throw the meat into the blaze. Everything beyond that is frivolous frippery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You can get a shopping cart at aldi for a quarter. Turn it on its side and build the fire in the basket. Boom, 25 cent grill.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
I am slowly learning some home repair skills. I noticed that there was a link between my toilet tank and the base. It looks to be a simple tank-to-bowl gasket that needs replacing. I have youtubed a few videos and read some online tutorials. This looks to be really easy. Have any of you done this before? The plumber wants to charge $182 for this, but I think I could do it with minimal headaches. Thoughts?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You mean a gasket between the top half and the bottom half of the toilet?

No toilet repair is worth 182 dollars, because you can buy a new toilet for a hundred bucks. $182 will get you a nice Kohler shitter with a better than wax ring that you can install in about 20 minutes.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'd pay much more than $182 to make someone else replace a toilet for me, that's high on my list of "hard pass" chores.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

clopping and cumming posted:

I am slowly learning some home repair skills. I noticed that there was a link between my toilet tank and the base. It looks to be a simple tank-to-bowl gasket that needs replacing. I have youtubed a few videos and read some online tutorials. This looks to be really easy. Have any of you done this before? The plumber wants to charge $182 for this, but I think I could do it with minimal headaches. Thoughts?

This is a dead simple repair. A gasket is $5 at home depot and it will probably take 10 minutes to do. Do yourself a favor and always try to fix your own toilets. There's a bunch of very easy-to-fix stuff in there. If you somehow mess things up to the point that you need a plumber, all you have to do is shut off the angle stop and pick up the phone.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Replacing a toilet is really one of the easier things to do. I replaced most of the ones in my house when I first moved in, got the tall ones so my legs don't go to sleep while I'm making GBS threads. :smug:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'd pay much more than $182 to make someone else replace a toilet for me, that's high on my list of "hard pass" chores.

It's really, really easy. I'd rather do that than paint or clean the carpet.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

This was my initial thought too, but I live with only me and my four year old daughter and neither of us are too crazy with our piss. Thanks everyone for the prodding. I will attempt this tonight!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
We've got the 2-burner Weber Spirit and it's pretty decent, no complaints.

Also, I've never done that particular toilet repair but all the toilet repairs that I have done were pretty easy. I would try it, but I also have more than one bathroom so I wouldn't be pissing in the yard if I hosed up.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I want to bitch about increasing interest rates. I've been looking at currency forwards and it looks like the market is expecting an interest rate increase in NZ of about 1%. Which means our 4.5-5% interest rates will hit around 6% later this year if the market is correct. This is the one thing I hate about having a mortgage is being subject to interest rate fluctuations (and the Reserve Bank has a habit of running interest rates to 8-9% just prior to a crash).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

I want to bitch about increasing interest rates. I've been looking at currency forwards and it looks like the market is expecting an interest rate increase in NZ of about 1%. Which means our 4.5-5% interest rates will hit around 6% later this year if the market is correct. This is the one thing I hate about having a mortgage is being subject to interest rate fluctuations (and the Reserve Bank has a habit of running interest rates to 8-9% just prior to a crash).

I don't know if they're an option in NZ, but in the States it's usually strongly recommended that you get a fixed-rate mortgage. They require better credit records and may have a slightly higher starting rate, but they insulate you against increases in the interest rate. Conversely, if the interest rate drops substantially, you can usually refinance your mortgage to take advantage of that drop.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Typical fixed rates are only 1-3 years. 4, 5 or 10 year terms exist but are not commonly used. We are very subject to the NZD/USD currency pair as our banks borrow to meet their capital requirements. The interest rates I've referred to are the fixed terms. Floating rates are in the order of 5.65%+ at the moment and will be similar or above 6% by the end of the year.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, in the US you can get fixed-rate loans that are fixed for the entire duration of the loan, in addition to the "fixed for awhile, then floats" loans. I have a fixed-rate 15-year mortgage for example.

Sucks to be in New Zealand, I guess. :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fixed rate 30-year mortgages seem to be more or less unique to the United States, and are in part available because of our Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae weirdness. Everyone else is exposed to some degree to interest rate risk.

The thing is, economic theory says that due to that exposure, buyers should be less willing to pay as much for the actual house; in other words, you should be compensated for your exposure to rate risk by paying less for the home. In practice I suspect borrowers in other countries are just as prone as American buyers to shortsightedness and short memories, assuming that if they can afford their payments today they will always be able to afford their payments even if interest rates double, they lose their jobs, or whatever.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, in the US you can get fixed-rate loans that are fixed for the entire duration of the loan, in addition to the "fixed for awhile, then floats" loans. I have a fixed-rate 15-year mortgage for example.

Sucks to be in New Zealand, I guess. :shrug:

It's just part of the deal of buying a house here. I've been changing my repayment terms to 15 years so I'm nailing the mortgage principle. The short term approach does encourage people to move or climb the property ladder (which is bullshit).

On the flip side the property bubble has increased the market value of my house by $100k in the last year. So if I do decide to sell there would be a substantial capital gain (tax free), however I don't want to pay rent again. The last place I rented cost $275 per week, the same place less than 3 years later is rented for $390 per week. poo poo is crazy over here and people are about to find out why paying too much for housing is a problem when the interest rates climb rapidly.

Leperflesh posted:

The thing is, economic theory says that due to that exposure, buyers should be less willing to pay as much for the actual house; in other words, you should be compensated for your exposure to rate risk by paying less for the home. In practice I suspect borrowers in other countries are just as prone as American buyers to shortsightedness and short memories, assuming that if they can afford their payments today they will always be able to afford their payments even if interest rates double, they lose their jobs, or whatever.

I'm watching the number of urgent or motivated sellers in the Auckland market. It's a form of entertainment for me with people that have realised that renting out a McMansion has a terrible return when interest rates increase.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 25, 2017

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Grillchat: I went on an RV adventure to a football game earlier this year, and I was in charge of cooking the meals (burgers, dogs, pancakes). I was traveling for work previously so I had all the supplies in a pile at my house. Guy who picks it up leaves the griddle in his car, so my drunk rear end was forced to make pancakes on a $10 walmart charcoal grill and a baking sheet. They were loving delicious though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
More grill chat. I've looked at those Webers and I'm sure they're great grills, but they are pricey. Do they offer a significant advantage over the cheaper propane grills as far as cooking ability or longevity? I have a fairly cheap 3 burner unit that was used to me about 5 years ago and although I've had to improvise some fixes and replace a couple parts I've definitely gotten my money's worth. Honestly, if I can buy a $200 grill every 5 years I don't see the point of a $600 grill that lasts 10 years, but I feel I may be missing something.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Devian666 posted:

I'm watching the number of urgent or motivated sellers in the Auckland market. It's a form of entertainment for me with people that have realised that renting out a McMansion has a terrible return when interest rates increase.

It hurts US housing too, because people with the same income level can't borrow as much when interest rates rise, so demand for housing falls, so your home is worth less. However, you only experience that loss when you sell, sometimes dramatically (see 2008, for example).

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

More grill chat. I've looked at those Webers and I'm sure they're great grills, but they are pricey. Do they offer a significant advantage over the cheaper propane grills as far as cooking ability or longevity? I have a fairly cheap 3 burner unit that was used to me about 5 years ago and although I've had to improvise some fixes and replace a couple parts I've definitely gotten my money's worth. Honestly, if I can buy a $200 grill every 5 years I don't see the point of a $600 grill that lasts 10 years, but I feel I may be missing something.

Weber makes high quality grills with easy to find replaceable parts, but they are expensive. However, if it only lasts 10 years, you're doing something wrong. They're also highly rated for evenly distributed heating, meaning you'll have fewer hot spots and cold spots. I'd agree with this claim, but I don't have anything else to compare. A $200 grill every 5 years might be a better option for a lot of people.

I have a Weber Spirit 310 that is about 5 years old. We use it at least once a week and it's fantastic. It's sometimes overkill for 2 people, but ignition is bulletproof and cooking quality is perfect. It's also big enough to have a skillet of brussels sprouts next to a chunk of meat of fish, or for moderate entertaining. Genesis and higher are probably the more serious entertaining grills, but the 310 is pretty solid for most people.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Is it okay to put a gas grill on a wooden deck?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Is it okay to put a gas grill on a wooden deck?

Yes, although you may want to get a drip mat so you don't end up with grease stains.

Heat goes up and out, so you've got a good 3 feet or so between the flame and deck surface. The real danger comes from using it placed right up against a structure, or underneath a low patio roof or something.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I've got natural gas run outside currently hooked up to a 20 year old post grill that doesn't work. I want to pull it out, put down pavers, and get a new grill. How do the Webers do with NG conversion (or do they make them direct NG without the conversion kit??) - I can't find coherent info on it.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

big trivia FAIL posted:

I've got natural gas run outside currently hooked up to a 20 year old post grill that doesn't work. I want to pull it out, put down pavers, and get a new grill. How do the Webers do with NG conversion (or do they make them direct NG without the conversion kit??) - I can't find coherent info on it.

People definitely make natural gas grills (not sure about Weber specifically) - you will probably have to order one because I don't think they are stocked at Home Depot. You can probably order one online, or from a local patio/outdoor store.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

big trivia FAIL posted:

In my research I learned that Weber doesn't offer conversion kits because safety; they sell 2 versions of the same models for LP and NG.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Natural gas grills are usually in stock including Weber brand at your local big box or grill store. Beat by drat Bananas.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

drat Bananas posted:

In my research I learned that Weber doesn't offer conversion kits because safety; they sell 2 versions of the same models for LP and NG.

Ahhhh ok. I'd rather have a true NG version than a conversion kit (same reason), anyway.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

big trivia FAIL posted:

You probably have a local hearth and grill store that sells NG stuff.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

big trivia FAIL posted:

I replaced a post grill a couple of years ago with an MHP grill and I haven't had any problems with it. One thing you might want to look into is changing from a fixed spot to a quick connect so you can move the grill around if you ever need to. Mine was a bit of a necessity because I had a leak in the line below concrete and it was easier to run along the concrete with a quick connect.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Your penis grows about 1/16" longer when you buy a Weber

In all seriousness though I know people who swear by them, apparently they're really durable, well-made, and well-engineered. Some people prefer buying nicer things that last a long time, others prefer buying cheaper things and replacing more often

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've had a basic Weber charcoal kettle grill for like 15 years and it's still completely fine. Charcoal superiority, by the way, I have a gas stove and oven in my kitchen and see no point cooking with gas outside. I use my grill when I want smoke in my food.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I think with grills, you leave anything outside, it's going to go to poo poo with exposure to the elements, from moisture, temperature, uv, etc. If you buy a nice 200$ propane grill, and actually cover it or store it in your garage, it'll last years, even more so if you clean it once a year or something. Plus you can buy replacement hoses, burners, etc for that kind of thing really cheap.

People just don't take care of their poo poo

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Homeownership: People just don't take care of their poo poo

House-buying thread: Gently Used Homes featuring DIY by Mickey Mouse

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Leperflesh posted:

Charcoal superiority, by the way, I have a gas stove and oven in my kitchen and see no point cooking with gas outside. I use my grill when I want smoke in my food.

It's a trade off. Charcoal probably does taste better, but propane is way easier and typically cheaper. Heck, I find grilling outside with propane faster and easier than cooking in my kitchen in many ways.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think with grills, you leave anything outside, it's going to go to poo poo with exposure to the elements, from moisture, temperature, uv, etc. If you buy a nice 200$ propane grill, and actually cover it or store it in your garage, it'll last years, even more so if you clean it once a year or something. Plus you can buy replacement hoses, burners, etc for that kind of thing really cheap.

People just don't take care of their poo poo

Yea, come to think of it, my grill lived a hard life for the first few years. Outdoors in Seattle (where it's perma-damp in the winter) without even a rain cover for most of its life. The fact that it still works at all is actually probably evidence in favor of cheap grills longevity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We don't have a gas line, so if I were buying a grill it would be propane for the convenience. I don't mind charcoal but it is dirty / messy / takes longer

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

The real compromise is to get a gas grill and a charcoal smoker.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LogisticEarth posted:

The real compromise is to get a gas grill and a charcoal smoker.

dual-zone smoking on my weber genesis owns

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/2-zone_indirect_cooking.html

I've got a little box for wood chips that goes under the grates, and it's really easy to set up my grill to hold a temperature steady for hours with zero interference from me.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
locking in a 30-year fixed at 3.375% last august was probably one of the smarter things ive ever done

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ex post facho posted:

locking in a 30-year fixed at 3.375% last august was probably one of the smarter things ive ever done

I tried hard to re-fi to 3.25 from 3.75, but the appraisal numbers didn't come through (attempted re-fi within a year of purchasing) and I'm having to console myself with an historically excellent rate on the mortgage with the looming specter of higher rates driving property values down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

ex post facho posted:

Hey there 30-year fixed @ 3.375 buddy. Now let's just hope the bubble keeps inflating for a few more years.