Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

neonbregna posted:

D.C. Is also the cool and chill form of electric current you can smoke weed with. A.C. is sentient and hates all forms of life.

Thanks Thomas Edison, if you hadn't hosed over Tesla things could be better :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That's not the relation.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

MF_James posted:

Not really ac is vastly superior for transmission

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

neonbregna posted:

Not really ac is vastly superior for transmission

Nah, high voltage is what's vastly superior for transmission, doesn't matter if it's AC or DC. AC is just easier to transform from one voltage to another if it's 1890 and semiconductor devices are still decades away.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Sagebrush posted:

Nah, high voltage is what's vastly superior for transmission, doesn't matter if it's AC or DC. AC is just easier to transform from one voltage to another if it's 1890 and semiconductor devices are still decades away.

AC transformers are still more efficient, but the difference isn't very large at this point.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

MF_James posted:

Woah what the hell did you just say? (Edit: misunderstood ya, oops)

Also as far as DC goes, it's a bitch to mechanically interrupt DC current versus AC.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 27, 2017

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Random safety thought: is there any reason why a car's headlights don't turn on automatically when the windshield wipers are in use? Would it be difficult to do from a mechanical standpoint?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Probably beaus you don't want people to think you are signalling to them when you blip the wipers for a few seconds.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I posted this in the schadenfreude thread, but it's just as good here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-UugI0JoA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bozart posted:

AC transformers are still more efficient, but the difference isn't very large at this point.

The issue is switching it back to AC at the end of the line to power everything that's designed for AC power. At some point in the length of the transmission line, it's worth it to convert to HVDC because then you avoid the capacitive losses of charging/discharging a really long capacitor 60 times a second. Those losses are much higher for underwater lines, so you'll see more HVDC there, but big thyristors keep improving in price so you're starting to see it more in overland runs as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
And then you turn it back into AC power to send to people's homes, at which point they have a dozen tiny boxes that each individually turns it back into DC again, then slices it up to tens of kilohertz switched current, to transform it down to 5V, and then back to DC yet again to power the stuff people care about.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

And then you turn it back into AC power to send to people's homes, at which point they have a dozen tiny boxes that each individually turns it back into DC again, then slices it up to tens of kilohertz switched current, to transform it down to 5V, and then back to DC yet again to power the stuff people care about.

There is still a lot of household stuff that runs on straight 60Hz 120V.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Volcott posted:

Random safety thought: is there any reason why a car's headlights don't turn on automatically when the windshield wipers are in use? Would it be difficult to do from a mechanical standpoint?

Most cars made after like 2005 just have the headlights on all the time.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

`Nemesis posted:

lmao at the one that catches fire

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

why don't they just lower th

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

There is still a lot of household stuff that runs on straight 60Hz 120V.

Pretty much just big white goods at this point, I think. Perhaps some older kitchen appliances? Virtually everything these days has an actual microcontroller and hence at least some circuitry to turn AC into low-voltage DC. And a lot of portable appliances use that power circuitry to power the entire device, so you get it to be 110/230V agnostic for free.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

`Nemesis posted:

What the gently caress happened at 1:02?

edit: nvm you can see it better in later shots that they are ramming a curb that sends them flying in to the other lane.

Irradiation fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 27, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah the lane narrows to the point where the curb is basically where the middle of the lane used to be. :v:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

lmao at the one that catches fire

They sure took their sweet time putting it out!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

They sure took their sweet time putting it out!

Judging by the incident at 1:11, they may have had a score to settle with the bridge.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Phanatic posted:

The issue is switching it back to AC at the end of the line to power everything that's designed for AC power. At some point in the length of the transmission line, it's worth it to convert to HVDC because then you avoid the capacitive losses of charging/discharging a really long capacitor 60 times a second. Those losses are much higher for underwater lines, so you'll see more HVDC there, but big thyristors keep improving in price so you're starting to see it more in overland runs as well.

You also cannot transfer reactive power (heavily used by induction motors in all kinds of things) through DC lines. So at the inverter station you need to have big banks of capacitors or synchronous condensers.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Volcott posted:

It's just a relay for old-school cars or an ECU tweak in new ones. My 2012 Challenger has amber DRL's up front but turns the headlights and tail lights on when the wipers run.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

suuma posted:

But not the tail lights, which is a huge loving annoyance when it's dusk and pissing rain, grey cars are practically invisible.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

suuma posted:

DRLs aren't the same as having your headlights on. The tail lights aren't on, and it's not nearly as bright as your headlights. Doesn't stop people from driving at night on them though.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Guy Axlerod posted:

DRLs aren't the same as having your headlights on. The tail lights aren't on, and it's not nearly as bright as your headlights. Doesn't stop people from driving at night on them though.

What are these people saving their headlights for, double nighttime?

Griz
May 21, 2001

suuma posted:

DRLs aren't always the same as actual headlights. Bad implementations of DRLs are worse than not having them at all, like the cars where the low beams and dashboard lights are on all the time so you end up with morons driving around in black cars at night with no taillights.

Subaru did it right - the dashboard isn't illuminated unless you turn on the headlights, and the headlights turn off when you take the key out so you can't accidentally leave the lights on like my neighbor who has a jeep.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

neonbregna posted:

A.C. is sentient and hates all forms of life.

"Spooky, ain't it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJzwG4Ee4c

PS I'm the CWT INTK STRUCT

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 27, 2017

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Three-Phase posted:

"Spooky, ain't it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJzwG4Ee4c

PS I'm the CWT INTK STRUCT

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers this movie.

This, and the HBO movie "Wedlock" or "Deadlock" are movies that it took me years and years to remember the name of.

Greatest Exploding Head movie ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZesS-EUP6E

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Volcott posted:

Daytime running lights are the much easier and more obvious choice. Of course so is metric.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Semicondutor devices (specifically diodes) are actually pretty old, older than vacuum tubes. They were scientific curiosities in the 1870s and first commercially sold in 1906

It’s just that it took a really long time for them to become practical for high‐power applications.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

Wait DRLs don't have the tail lights on in the US? What kind of retardation is this?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait DRLs don't have the tail lights on in the US? What kind of retardation is this?

Thanks Obama. :sad:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Or Australia.

Where are you that they do? Or what car manufacturers do?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Personally I just have my headlights on every time I'm driving, even during the day. Am I weird for doing this?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VodeAndreas posted:

Or Australia.

Where are you that they do? Or what car manufacturers do?
Scandinavia. DRLS are front+back, but most people turn on their normal headlights 24/7 from September til April.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mikl posted:

Personally I just have my headlights on every time I'm driving, even during the day. Am I weird for doing this?

Yes.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You actually get fined in some parts of Europe for turning them off during the day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You actually get fined in some parts of Europe for turning them off during the day.

Isn’t it literally impossible to turn off the lights in most of those countries, though?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t it literally impossible to turn off the lights in most of those countries, though?

In some cars. In my car, for example, you can't turn off all lights, but you can turn off the headlights and only have parking/marker lights (which are not DRLs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Only on newer cars. Like after 2015 or so.

Plenty of cars left on the roads that allow you to do whatever with your lights.

Don't listen to this idiot. Driving with lights on during the day is way safer.