Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Admiral101 posted:

Were you prompted about how many hours you spend involved in that <$3,200> rental activity per year?

edit: software might be treating as you as a real estate professional for some reason. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

I deleted the second property and re entered it with same info and now it's computing correctly and the passive loss isn't deducting. Good job Credit Karma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Nifty posted:

Good job Credit Karma

Something something you get what you pay for something something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It is important to enter all your info into Credit Karma correctly, so they know what types of financial institutions to sell your info to.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Big thanks to you both. I feel well equipped for my next conversation with the CPA. Now just to hope the fantasy sites get their 1099s out on time this year.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Oops, I think I haven't been getting my foreign tax credit correctly applied for the past several years:

For the last 3 years, my 1099-DIV from Vanguard has $20-$50 in the "Foreign Tax Paid (Box 6)" Column. I've input the 1099s into H&R Block including that amount. Shouldn't that amount then show up as a credit on From 1040 Line 48 "Foreign tax credit"?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

Oops, I think I haven't been getting my foreign tax credit correctly applied for the past several years:

For the last 3 years, my 1099-DIV from Vanguard has $20-$50 in the "Foreign Tax Paid (Box 6)" Column. I've input the 1099s into H&R Block including that amount. Shouldn't that amount then show up as a credit on From 1040 Line 48 "Foreign tax credit"?

Yes I believe so. H&R block missed the same foreign tax credit for me about 5 years ago because their software is bad - it caused me to switch to TurboTax which has never had a problem. I had to refile that year and made my stupid tax spreadsheet accurate to the dollar so it won't happen again - thanks crappy software!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

So I was going to use Credit Karma, but they are missing it too, as well as one of my state credit I have no way to input.

I'm thinking I should just use the IRS forms directly, I have a template from last year...

Is there any way to e-file the forms myself, or do I have to mail them if I'm manually filling them out? freefilefillableforms.com is linked from irs.gov, but other than that looks and sounds super sketchy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

So I was going to use Credit Karma, but they are missing it too, as well as one of my state credit I have no way to input.

I'm thinking I should just use the IRS forms directly, I have a template from last year...

Is there any way to e-file the forms myself, or do I have to mail them if I'm manually filling them out? freefilefillableforms.com is linked from irs.gov, but other than that looks and sounds super sketchy.

The reason it looks real bad is that the IRS isn't supposed to compete with the tax software companies. That is the IRS "supported" one, although I use the term supported very loosely. You can efile with it, I have used it in the past. But it doesn't do state returns.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I used the IRS Free Fillable Forms last year. It was fine. NY has something that is nearly the same, it is also fine.

This year I need to attach a statement to my return, and it's not supported by them, so I have to use something else. Otherwise, I would use it again.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got married in 2016, so this is the first time I'm filing for both my wife and I together (MFJ). I'm using TurboTax, and when I put in everything on our respective W2s, at the close-out of the Wages & Income section, it said I was over the limit for 401k contributions. I'm not, nor is my wife, but combined we are over $18k. I went back to the W&I section and made sure it listed one W2 for me and one for my wife, so I'm hoping that fixed it. Any other ideas?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Omne posted:

Got married in 2016, so this is the first time I'm filing for both my wife and I together (MFJ). I'm using TurboTax, and when I put in everything on our respective W2s, at the close-out of the Wages & Income section, it said I was over the limit for 401k contributions. I'm not, nor is my wife, but combined we are over $18k. I went back to the W&I section and made sure it listed one W2 for me and one for my wife, so I'm hoping that fixed it. Any other ideas?

Incorrect data on a W2, or one of you contributed $18000.01? I've never had a problem with two people maxing out using turbotax, it would be weird if they somehow added a bug in to that part of if this year.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Droo posted:

Yes I believe so. H&R block missed the same foreign tax credit for me about 5 years ago because their software is bad - it caused me to switch to TurboTax which has never had a problem. I had to refile that year and made my stupid tax spreadsheet accurate to the dollar so it won't happen again - thanks crappy software!

It's probably an input missing on the 1116 form - you need to input the foreign income as well on that form to calculate the credit.

Alternative: There might be an option in the program to "elect out from 1116 reporting for the foreign tax credit." What this *SHOULD* do is eliminate the need to enter anything but the foreign taxes paid to take the credit on your 1040.

Pros: Don't need to file 1116.

Cons: If eligible to carry some FTC forward (not enough US taxes in the current year), you cannot do so under this election.

I don't use turbotax, no idea where you would make this election.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm trying to pay off my balance of my taxes from last year. I've got the full amount. But I'm super confused as to how I'm supposed to pay it because irs.gov is seemingly out of 1998.

Using: https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/

Do I select Installment Agreement or Tax Return or Notice?

I feel like I'm just throwing a thousand dollars into a black hole and just hoping it somehow reaches its correct destination. The IRS notice I recieved in the mail is a LT11

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I forgot to include 3 1099-R forms and E-filed yesterday (employer terminated plan as part of acquisition, wife and i work(ed) together). The taxable amount (2a) is 0 on all 3 forms, as we rolled over into qualifying plans (roth 401k to roth ira, trad 401k to trad ira). Should I pay Tax Slayer $41.99 to file an amended return or should I just fill out the 1040X myself, net change "0" for every row, and include copies of the 3 1099-R forms in the envelope? Tax Slayer let me input all of the 1099-R crap and generate a new 1040 (not X) without paying any extra, I guess I could go line by line and make sure nothing changed besides the 1099-r forms showing up at the top of the return.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 27, 2017

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

89 posted:

I'm trying to pay off my balance of my taxes from last year. I've got the full amount. But I'm super confused as to how I'm supposed to pay it because irs.gov is seemingly out of 1998.

Using: https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/

Do I select Installment Agreement or Tax Return or Notice?

I feel like I'm just throwing a thousand dollars into a black hole and just hoping it somehow reaches its correct destination. The IRS notice I recieved in the mail is a LT11

When I got my certified letter, I paid them a check, and wrote my EIN on the check itself, which is what the guy on the phone told me to do, as when they process the checks, the form and check can/do get separated.

e: I spent like an hour on hold but the guy I talked to was really nice and helpful.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
My wife got short term disability pay when she was on leave. Didn't realize there was another form for that and that it was a third party deal. Man. Really getting owned by filing early this year. Oops.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

PuTTY riot posted:

My wife got short term disability pay when she was on leave. Didn't realize there was another form for that and that it was a third party deal. Man. Really getting owned by filing early this year. Oops.

Yeah once you're an adult it's never really smart to file before the end of January. My firm has a couple clients who swear up and down they have everything and they can file and then OH WAIT I JUST GOT THIS 1099 WITH THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF STOCK TRANSACTIONS IS THAT GONNA CHANGE MY RETURN??

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah once you're an adult it's never really smart to file before the end of January. My firm has a couple clients who swear up and down they have everything and they can file and then OH WAIT I JUST GOT THIS 1099 WITH THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF STOCK TRANSACTIONS IS THAT GONNA CHANGE MY RETURN??

Vanguard actually doesn't make certain 1099s available until late February :(

"Brokerage account forms and statements are available by late February (to help reduce the number of revised statements that may result from income reclassifications by securities issuers)."

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I should have looked this over before I submitted, but I put $1655 into my roth ira this last year, and my AGI was 44,510. Shouldn't I have gotten a credit of $166? Line 34 of my 1040A is showing up blank.

edit: maybe not. form 8880 is confusing me. I'm guessing turbotax probably got it right, but I thought I would have gotten some kind of credit since I was under 46,125

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 28, 2017

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I should have looked this over before I submitted, but I put $1655 into my roth ira this last year, and my AGI was 44,510. Shouldn't I have gotten a credit of $166? Line 34 of my 1040A is showing up blank.

edit: maybe not. form 8880 is confusing me. I'm guessing turbotax probably got it right, but I thought I would have gotten some kind of credit since I was under 46,125

Unless you're married filing jointly or head of household, the income cap for this credit was $30,750 for 2016.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I have a buddy who keeps telling me I should do itemized deductions instead of the standard deduction because I work from home (remote work for a nonprofit in another state), but I dunno if he's right.

He says I could deduct a portion of my rent/utilities/internet equal to my "office space" (which would be my living room since that's where my desk is, I guess? But my living room is basically the same as my dining room and my entryway because it's an apartment. Does all of it count? This part really confuses me). All of that only amounts to a little over ten thousand over the course of the year, though, and the relevant portion would only be half of that at most.

I don't have any charitable deductions that I could prove to the IRS via receipts or something. I would be filing single and not as somebody else's dependent. My medical expenses were pretty minor and wouldn't pass the AGI threshold. My county and state income taxes amount to a little over three thousand each year at this income.

I guess that if half of my living space technically counted as an office because it's a big open room with my work desk in it, half of my rent/utilities/internet would be about $5,000 each year and $3,000 in local + state taxes would mean an itemized deduction of $8,000, which is indeed more than the standard deduction.

Am I thinking this through correctly, or am I missing something?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Hufflepuff or bust! posted:

Unless you're married filing jointly or head of household, the income cap for this credit was $30,750 for 2016.

Ok, that's what I thought at first, but then I just confused myself. That brings me to my next question which got me looking into this in the first place: If I already filed my 2016 taxes, should my roth contributions now be for 2017, or can I still contribute for 2016? Does it depend on if I was able to get this credit or not?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

surf rock posted:

I have a buddy who keeps telling me I should do itemized deductions instead of the standard deduction because I work from home (remote work for a nonprofit in another state), but I dunno if he's right.

He says I could deduct a portion of my rent/utilities/internet equal to my "office space" (which would be my living room since that's where my desk is, I guess? But my living room is basically the same as my dining room and my entryway because it's an apartment. Does all of it count? This part really confuses me). All of that only amounts to a little over ten thousand over the course of the year, though, and the relevant portion would only be half of that at most.

I don't have any charitable deductions that I could prove to the IRS via receipts or something. I would be filing single and not as somebody else's dependent. My medical expenses were pretty minor and wouldn't pass the AGI threshold. My county and state income taxes amount to a little over three thousand each year at this income.

I guess that if half of my living space technically counted as an office because it's a big open room with my work desk in it, half of my rent/utilities/internet would be about $5,000 each year and $3,000 in local + state taxes would mean an itemized deduction of $8,000, which is indeed more than the standard deduction.

Am I thinking this through correctly, or am I missing something?

The space has to be exclusively used for your work. If you also have dinner there, watch TV, screw, or do other non-work activities in that space it wouldn't qualify. Now if you truly only use a portion of your apartment for work, you have passed the main hurdle, but it can be a hard one to prove.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

sullat posted:

The space has to be exclusively used for your work. If you also have dinner there, watch TV, screw, or do other non-work activities in that space it wouldn't qualify. Now if you truly only use a portion of your apartment for work, you have passed the main hurdle, but it can be a hard one to prove.

Oh, good to know. Thank you for explaining that!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I live in MD, my husband lives in TX. I haven't seen him since I moved away in March of 2012 - no contact whatsoever other than one or two skype messaging conversations. Should I still pick Married Filing Single as my status or should I be doing Single now? Or Legally Separated?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Night Danger Moose posted:

I live in MD, my husband lives in TX. I haven't seen him since I moved away in March of 2012 - no contact whatsoever other than one or two skype messaging conversations. Should I still pick Married Filing Single as my status or should I be doing Single now? Or Legally Separated?

if you aren't divorced or legally separated under state law, you're stuck with married filing separate. living apart isn't enough to qualify you for filing single. see IRS publication 501.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I was wondering about some 2017 tax planning. The IRA contribution was made for 2016 (non-deductible), and I'm going to backdoor it into my roth IRA sometime this year. I'm not sure if I'll have any 401k contributions this year, so I could theoretically be able to make a deductible contribution to my IRA for 2017. Does anyone know how this will effect my backdoor contribution? I've tried googling it but I can't find the right jumble of keywords.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Harry posted:

I was wondering about some 2017 tax planning. The IRA contribution was made for 2016 (non-deductible), and I'm going to backdoor it into my roth IRA sometime this year. I'm not sure if I'll have any 401k contributions this year, so I could theoretically be able to make a deductible contribution to my IRA for 2017. Does anyone know how this will effect my backdoor contribution? I've tried googling it but I can't find the right jumble of keywords.

I believe your traditional IRA balance on December 31st of the year you do the conversion is what gets looked at with regards to the pro-rata rule, so it will hit you if you don't manage to roll that deductible contribution into a 401k before December 31st.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Kind of an odd question, but we bought a house in 2016 and we'll be itemizing our deductions.

The question is on property tax. As I understand it, city/county/state property taxes are deductible on your federal return. My question is, is it based on what year the taxes are for, or when they're actually paid?

So when we bought the house in April 2016, we paid a pro-rated property tax amount to the previous owner for the taxes they had already paid for 2016. This amount is on our closing form somewhere. But then we got the next year's tax bill a few months later, and it was paid in November 2016 by our escrow account.

That means in 2016 we paid for the partial year, as well as the next full year. I guess I don't know if the "tax year" falls on the calendar year...I can't find anything explicit on the county's website, but I can probably back-calculate if necessary.

So bottom line: would we deduct both tax bills from our 2016 taxes? Or do we only deduct the partial year bill (paid at closing) from our taxes?

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

Kind of an odd question, but we bought a house in 2016 and we'll be itemizing our deductions.

The question is on property tax. As I understand it, city/county/state property taxes are deductible on your federal return. My question is, is it based on what year the taxes are for, or when they're actually paid?

So when we bought the house in April 2016, we paid a pro-rated property tax amount to the previous owner for the taxes they had already paid for 2016. This amount is on our closing form somewhere. But then we got the next year's tax bill a few months later, and it was paid in November 2016 by our escrow account.

That means in 2016 we paid for the partial year, as well as the next full year. I guess I don't know if the "tax year" falls on the calendar year...I can't find anything explicit on the county's website, but I can probably back-calculate if necessary.

So bottom line: would we deduct both tax bills from our 2016 taxes? Or do we only deduct the partial year bill (paid at closing) from our taxes?

Deduct what your escrow account paid in 2016 and the amount of property tax allocated to you in the closing documents. Both amounts are probably for taxes that came due in 2016-at least here half of the year's taxes are due in the spring and half in the fall.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Ancillary Character posted:

I believe your traditional IRA balance on December 31st of the year you do the conversion is what gets looked at with regards to the pro-rata rule, so it will hit you if you don't manage to roll that deductible contribution into a 401k before December 31st.

That's what I thought based on what I found. Thanks.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

urnisme posted:

Deduct what your escrow account paid in 2016 and the amount of property tax allocated to you in the closing documents. Both amounts are probably for taxes that came due in 2016-at least here half of the year's taxes are due in the spring and half in the fall.

That's what I figured, thanks!

So for a rule of thumb, would I assume that if the tax (whatever it is) was PAID in 2016, then it would be listed on 2016 deductions?

The other tax I'm subject to is vehicle property tax (which is separate from registration/license fees). Since that definitely does not align with the calendar around here, I would assume when I paid it in Feb 2016, then whatever that tax is gets deducted even though it applies to part of 2017.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

DaveSauce posted:

That's what I figured, thanks!

So for a rule of thumb, would I assume that if the tax (whatever it is) was PAID in 2016, then it would be listed on 2016 deductions?

The other tax I'm subject to is vehicle property tax (which is separate from registration/license fees). Since that definitely does not align with the calendar around here, I would assume when I paid it in Feb 2016, then whatever that tax is gets deducted even though it applies to part of 2017.

Yup. "Deduct it in the year you paid it" is the rule 99.9% of the time for individuals.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Alright, so I owe estimated taxes of a lot of money.

I haven't paid it yet (I think the quarter 4 deadline was due the 15th or January 23rd or something) because it said that if I filed my taxes by January 31st, I wouldn't owe a penalty. I planned to file on January 31st.

Problem I've run into is that my brokerage doesn't file 1099s and the rest of the forms until February 15th. And looking at the penalty form, it looks like I'll pay the same penalty whether I pay the estimated tax today, or if I pay it on Feb 15th. And if I'm not mistaken it looks like the penalty is like 2.5%?

So am I just screwed here? Or do I calculate the brokerage stuff myself and just amend if it's different than the 1099 ends up being? How cumbersome/bad is that to amend?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

scribe jones posted:

Yup. "Deduct it in the year you paid it" is the rule 99.9% of the time for individuals.

That makes perfect sense. I just wanted to confirm it since this will be our first time itemizing. Thanks!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone else having issues signing up on irs.com ? I have an id pin however somehow lost it, and I'm trying to sign up at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-an-identity-protection-pin and keep getting this error after entering my address.
A technical problem has occurred. Please try your request again later.

Beyond frustrating.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I received a 1099-MISC for a photography job I did. As part of the job, I hired makeup artists and rented a studio. I included these expenses in my rate to the client. So my actual income from this project was much less than the total listed on the 1099-MISC. How can I avoid paying taxes on the amount that were expenses?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I received a 1099-MISC for a photography job I did. As part of the job, I hired makeup artists and rented a studio. I included these expenses in my rate to the client. So my actual income from this project was much less than the total listed on the 1099-MISC. How can I avoid paying taxes on the amount that were expenses?

Schedule C

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else having issues signing up on irs.com ? I have an id pin however somehow lost it, and I'm trying to sign up at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-an-identity-protection-pin and keep getting this error after entering my address.
A technical problem has occurred. Please try your request again later.

Beyond frustrating.

Mail your return in. Or call them to get it re-issued.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
My wife has a traditional IRA left over from her old employer with about $800 in it. We are over the income limits to contribute to a traditional IRA and her work 401k is terrible so she mostly uses her Roth IRA.
Is there a way to move this small traditional IRA somewhere where it makes decent interest? It seems like in most cases this is too little to invest in a mutual fund and in a lot of cases it would just get eaten up in fees.
Is there a way to roll it into her roth IRA without incurring penalties?
Can I just roll it into my 401K which is way better and give her $800 to stick in her Roth or does that not work because it is in her name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

scribe jones posted:

if you aren't divorced or legally separated under state law, you're stuck with married filing separate. living apart isn't enough to qualify you for filing single. see IRS publication 501.

Important exception; if you have a dependent and would otherwise count as head of household, you can be treated as unmarried for tax purposes and file as head of household if you and your spouse did not live together at all in the last six months of the year (even a single day would disqualify you). If not, then you can only file MFJ or MFS.