Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I wouldn't be surprised if it was just oil paint and odourless turpentine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Oh yeah, I don't doubt the base ingredients are very similar. I'm just saying that I think this stuff is all coming from the same vats from the same factory, despite Mig and AK parting ways.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

I demand it be built with a functioning gun.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ICM consumption schedule

If you want a WW2 warplane from the Soviet Union or cars in 1/35 scale, this company has you covered.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been sick on and off for like a month and not really feeling very motivated to do anything, let alone trains. But I thought I'd get in there and clean the layout up a bit and take some pictures so I felt like I did "something". Someone on another site was asking for track pictures, so I took a bunch.

And here's how the whole layout is looking these days.

Glass and 9v battery in the last pic might give a sense of scale for those who know know n scale.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looking good!

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

There was some talk about using Oyumaru for making small molds awhile ago. Is Instant Mold essentially the same stuff sold in the US at a markup? I think I want to try some for a project this week and the eBay orders, while cheaper, won't arrive for much longer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Looks the same pretty much, looks like I can't find "blue stuff" anymore on the cheap ebay store I bought it from :(
Even their official website says it's not in stock.
http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/reusable-blue-stuff/8-blue-stuff-mold-8-bars.html

I'm sure it's all basically the same poo poo. Put it in hot water and go.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Sturmtiger complete! That new airbrush is really paying off.

Rest of album

The kit is Italeri, repackaged by Testors. I'm sort of disappointed by the kit. The box promised a full interior, but what you get is incredibly sparse: three seats, ammo racks, and the driver's steering wheel. It's a shame, since there are large hatches available to view it through. I was also disappointed by the link and length tracks. There are ice cleats molded onto them, but they are done in a way that makes them stick unevenly to the drive sprockets. I noticed it too late to save one of the sides, so it looks a bit off :(

This was my first try at applying decals over Zimmerit, and it seems like it worked out. I only used a bit of rubbing alcohol, no fancy MicroSol/Set required.

The engine is from the Tamiya engine maintenance set. I will use the rest to make a diorama.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Baronjutter posted:

Looks the same pretty much, looks like I can't find "blue stuff" anymore on the cheap ebay store I bought it from :(
Even their official website says it's not in stock.
http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/reusable-blue-stuff/8-blue-stuff-mold-8-bars.html

I'm sure it's all basically the same poo poo. Put it in hot water and go.

I figured, but I appreciate the sanity check.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I started working on a Hasegawa 1:48 P-40 Warhawk after giving up on a 1:48 Revell B-25 Mitchell (that appears to be a 1978 sculpt). I love the look of the B-25, but that model was garbage. It's nice to get back to doing a model where pieces actually fit together and have alignment pins. On youtube, there is a guy who goes by PLASMO that has some fantastic videos. With this cockpit, I tried his techniques of washes as well as making seat cushions (da peelo) out of green stuff. I made the seat belts from scratch by a technique I found on some other video where you stick a piece of tape to a piece of aluminum foil, then paint it and cut strips for the cloth portion of the belt. The idea that the tape contributes strength and texture and the foil allows you to shape it. If you try it, use the heavy duty freezer foil. Fine solder (or lead fishing wire) to make the end buckles, and the adjuster parts of the seatbelts are made from sheet styrene. The seat belts in my cockpit won't hold up to realism scrutiny, but I think they add a nice bit of detail. Overall, I'm happy with the cockpit, but if I could do it over again, I would have basecoated the walls and floor with a much lighter color to offset the darkening that results from the Tamiya washes. I basecoated in olive drab, but would use duck egg green if I did it again. I'd put a lot more thought into colors that would add contrast to highlight the details. I'm not a stickler for historical accuracy of paint colors, so I'd rather have something that really pops and looks good than something that is historically correct.

I borrowed a stereo microscope from work to do the instrument panel. The idea was to undercoat the gauges in lacquer, top coat it in enamel, then use a fine toothpick with mineral spirits to remove the enamel paint from the high spots to expose the undercoat of lacquer. I got part of the way into doing that and decided I wanted to start over. Unfortunately, when I removed the paint, the solvent also ruined the detail of the gauges, so I ended up sanding them flat and applying decals.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Speaking of Hasegawa, are they the top guys when it comes to quality air kits? I'm starting to get more interested in aircraft recently, and I'm not sure who the top dogs in aircraft models are. Hasegawa always seems to get bandied about when someone's talking about good air kits, and Tamiya's 1:32 stuff is supposed to be good, but other than that I'm a bit in the dark.

Revell's supposed to be very hit and miss right? And Airfix is kind of crap for anything older than a few years, I think.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of Hasegawa, are they the top guys when it comes to quality air kits? I'm starting to get more interested in aircraft recently, and I'm not sure who the top dogs in aircraft models are. Hasegawa always seems to get bandied about when someone's talking about good air kits, and Tamiya's 1:32 stuff is supposed to be good, but other than that I'm a bit in the dark.

Revell's supposed to be very hit and miss right? And Airfix is kind of crap for anything older than a few years, I think.

I've worked on three Hasegawa 1:48 kits. P-51D Mustang (HAS 9130), P-40E Warhawk (HAS 9086), F6F Hellcat (HAS 9134). The Mustang and Hellcat were excellent. I'm only about halfway through the Warhawk and it is very good. I had some problems mounting the instrument panel, but that may have been my own fault. I have a couple other Hasegawa kits (F-104, AH-64) that I have looked over but not assembled and they look good as well. I don't have a whole lot of experience as a modeler, but I haven't been disapointed by Hasegawa. I have the 1:32 Tamiya P-51D Mustang "Redtail" and it looks like it will be an amazing build. From my experience, I'd say Hasegawa and Tamiya are safe bets. I built 20-30 models back in the mid-late 80s when the choices were Revell and Monogram. To me, Monogram kits were far better than the Revell ones, but Revell ended up buying out Monogram so I have no idea what they are currently like. Based on that B-25 I gave up on, I'd say avoid anything from Revell that is from 80s or earlier molds.

I'm also curious about other current brands like Trumpeter, Airfix, Academy, Hobbyboss, Dragon, etc... I see the names come up a lot, but have no idea which are good and which are garbage.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ensign Expendable posted:

This was my first try at applying decals over Zimmerit, and it seems like it worked out. I only used a bit of rubbing alcohol, no fancy MicroSol/Set required.

Looks great EE.

SkunkDuster posted:

I started working on a Hasegawa 1:48 P-40 Warhawk

Excellent looking detail work on that cockpit.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm also curious about other current brands like Trumpeter, Airfix, Academy, Hobbyboss, Dragon, etc... I see the names come up a lot, but have no idea which are good and which are garbage.

Airfix's new builds are quite fantastic - the 1/48 Gloucester Javelin and the 1/24 Typhoon were the best fits I've ever seen bar none. Judging by these, I expect anything marked as 'new tool' on their site should be decent. Their older kits, however, can be complete poo poo - anything from the 90s onwards is generally ok. I built a lot of Airfix when I was young, and the first time I bought a Hasegawa kit (1:48 f-16 iirc) the difference in overall quality blew my mind.

Hobby Boss are generally very good, although the internal detail can be a little lack-lustre. Trumpeter's 1/32 range have so far been a pleasure and sometimes an improvement on Tamiya. I've got an unstarted HK Models 1/32 b-25 sat on a shelf that looks like it is stupidly well made (can't say anything about the fit, however).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've never built a Hasegawa myself, but Tamiya are top dogs when it comes to kit engineering and construction. Most other makers vary depending on when the kit was designed. Revell has an *enormous* catalog, and their stuff depending on spectrum can be as good as Tamiya to terrible. (I've built a few big Revells ITT and I have a soft spot for them; if the kit they make is newer and unique, it tends to be quite good.) As SkunkDuster just mentioned, new Airfix is terrific; that DH Vampire I built as part of a crapkit build here was a Airfix, and I was very impressed with it. As always, scalemates is your friend.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Some of Tamiya's new stuff is old stuff with ten bucks of PE thrown in. Always check kit history on Scalemates and look deeper into "new parts" vs completely new kits.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Some of Tamiya's new stuff is old stuff with ten bucks of PE thrown in. Always check kit history on Scalemates and look deeper into "new parts" vs completely new kits.

This is unfortunately true. I'm building Tamiya's 1/12 Tyrrell 003 re release and it is very clearly from an old mold with some photoetch thrown in.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Check your scalemates.com history on your Hasegawa stuff. Some of it is really loving good, a lot of it is 30 year old tooling with raised panel lines and 2 piece cockpits with new decals thrown in.

I've only built 1:144 Trumpeter kits but they were super nice.

Edit: btw any Tamiya jet in 1:72 is a reboxed Italeri kit.

Edit edit: actually there are enough YouTube unboxing videos out there that we can use them as a primary resource for kit selection.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Check your scalemates.com history on your Hasegawa stuff. Some of it is really loving good, a lot of it is 30 year old tooling with raised panel lines and 2 piece cockpits with new decals thrown in.

I've only built 1:144 Trumpeter kits but they were super nice.

Edit: btw any Tamiya jet in 1:72 is a reboxed Italeri kit.

Edit edit: actually there are enough YouTube unboxing videos out there that we can use them as a primary resource for kit selection.

I don't believe their F-16 is which is a really great kit.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

I don't believe their F-16 is which is a really great kit.

This is correct. Thanks.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
RE Tamiya aircraft (in 1/72 at least) if it's numbered <40ish it's an Italeri rebox. It will also say "Made in Italy" somewhere on the front. From 40something onwards, they're Tamiya originals and should be made in Japan or The Philippines. Higher number kits are better quality, like the newest F-16 which is crazy good.

Vallejo don't actually have anything to do with AK, it's just that AK's founder/CEO happens to be named Fernando Vallejo. Vallejo is like the Smith of Spain or something. But yea Ammo by Mig and AK are preeeetty much the same poo poo with different branding. I think AK might have a wider range of stuff now though. They also own Abteilung 502 which is all oil paints.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rest of album

This looks really good, btw.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hasegawa does make real good kits, but check on Scalemates for the specific model. Tamiya's newer stuff that's actually new molds is very good, especially their 1:32 stuff. Revell is very hit and miss, and many of their hits still aren't as detailed or accurate as I'd usually like. You're right on Airfix, but their really new stuff can be very good. Meng doesn't do too many aircraft I don't think, but their stuff is usually very good. I've found more than other type of vehicle that Scalemates can be very important when looking at aircraft models.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

If I'm looking for a 1-2 night project that's just going to fall together and be beautiful, I grab an Airfix 1/72 prop fighter.

Their newer stuff has never let me down.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Any Airfix kit made after 2011ish should be really high quality. The easiest way to check on the box is to see if it's made in India.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Rest of album

The kit is Italeri, repackaged by Testors. I'm sort of disappointed by the kit. The box promised a full interior, but what you get is incredibly sparse: three seats, ammo racks, and the driver's steering wheel. It's a shame, since there are large hatches available to view it through. I was also disappointed by the link and length tracks. There are ice cleats molded onto them, but they are done in a way that makes them stick unevenly to the drive sprockets. I noticed it too late to save one of the sides, so it looks a bit off :(

The engine is from the Tamiya engine maintenance set. I will use the rest to make a diorama.

You're improving with each model. Nice job!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Revell's supposed to be very hit and miss right?

Due to availability here in Bulgaria, most of the stuff I build is Revell. Older kits can be pretty drat terrible in all categories, but their newer molds are pretty good and go together well, along with having a good amount of detail for the price point.

I recently built the 1/72 Revell F-16A and it was a quite enjoyable build that leaves room for a lot of different versions as evidenced by the various reissues it's already gotten. On the other hand, I'm working on their 1/72 P-38 currently and it's a mold that's from 1982(complete with copyright date embossed on the outside of the fuselage that I had to sand off) with raised panel lines, flash on smaller parts, fairly weak details, poorly-placed ejection marks and some amount of gaps that will need filling.

The decals included tend to be pretty great these days though, especially if you get a kit with DACO designed decals, as those can make up for the actual mold's shortcomings. In case of the P-38, the decals actually got me to buy it as they're pretty extensive. I've learned to check Scalemates as well as the parts count on the box to make sure it's a new mold.

I've also got some Italeri stuff(1/72 Apache, C-130E Hercules, UH-60 Black Hawk) in the pipeline, so I'm hoping that's good, never built any of their kits before.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I've picked up some discounted Revell kits at the local arts & crafts shop, and they were... not impressive. Definitely check the background on Revell kits before buying, unless you can tolerate a lemon now and then.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The easiest way to check on the box is to see if it's made in India.

Is that good or bad?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
The worst kits I have ever bought was Revell, but that was also one of the few ones I didn't do any research on before buying. Not sure if I would be building models if I didn't have scalemates to rely on for kit info.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Sounds like someone never experienced the magic of AER Moldova.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

SkunkDuster posted:

Is that good or bad?

Oh sorry, it's good, all the newer stuff seems to be made there.

Also if anyone's thinking of splashing out some money on a 1/48 plane, Tamiya's new Tomcat is basically being called one of the best kits ever done by a lot of magazines/reviewers/professional model peeps. It is fairly pricey though.

e[Also also, Tamiya's new 1/48 Lancaster kit is crazy good. It even includes every canopy piece in a pre-painted option, which I don't think I've ever seen before. Really cool if you're as poo poo at canopy masking as I am. As with the Tomcat though, it's a pricey kit.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 26, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sounds like someone never experienced the magic of AER Moldova.

I'm shocked to learn that Moldova exports the other kind of model too

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
The worst kit I ever bought:

I will never make it.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Unkempt posted:

I will never make it.

Could make a nice diorama of a super corroded wreck at the bottom of the sea. All the sediment and debris is premolded!

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 27, 2017

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Unkempt posted:

I will never make it.

Oh come on. Now you have to make it, with progress pics for this thread. There's no way it won't be hilarious.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh sorry, it's good, all the newer stuff seems to be made there.

Also if anyone's thinking of splashing out some money on a 1/48 plane, Tamiya's new Tomcat is basically being called one of the best kits ever done by a lot of magazines/reviewers/professional model peeps. It is fairly pricey though.

e[Also also, Tamiya's new 1/48 Lancaster kit is crazy good. It even includes every canopy piece in a pre-painted option, which I don't think I've ever seen before. Really cool if you're as poo poo at canopy masking as I am. As with the Tomcat though, it's a pricey kit.

Their Tomcat kit is amazing and I'm loving it so far.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PirateDentist posted:

Could make a nice diorama of a super corroded wreck at the bottom of the sea. All the sediment and debris is premolded!
Most of the kit would be fabric and thus have rotted away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Oh come on. Now you have to make it, with progress pics for this thread. There's no way it won't be hilarious.

poo plane