Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm watching Cisco product update webinar and the host is doing fine, but there is someone else with their mic unmuted (or maybe sitting right next to this guy) who sounds like they're banging doors open and shut and belching. Very professional.

Host needs to know about the whole mute every body thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

sixth and maimed posted:

poo poo pissing me of: Ricoh!

We used a a piece of software to split scanned delivery notes and invoices, rename them and put them in a folder structure so they can be called up in our ERP program. I say used because mid december, the software broke because we virtualized the server and changed the Windowse license key to the virtual one. Of course, the software is no longer supported so I have to find a replacement. As this is part of our Invoice Approval Workflow, it's pretty critical and people are bugging me left and right about when it's going to be fixed. Since the previous program worked pretty well, I go to the same supplier to ask what they recommend (i.c. Ricoh). They get me an offer, not exactly cheap but this is urgent so I accept, stressing that we need this asap.

Between Christmas and newyear I don't hear from them. To be expected, so I don't really fret about it. The first week of January passes and I still hear nothing. I start sending mails and calling people to ask when the install is going to be. Finally, halfway January, an engineer is scheduled. He's on site for about half an hour when he tells me he has the wrong license and there's nothing he can do until the right one is ordered. I give him the same specs I used to get the quote, and according to him, those are pretty clear. After a couple of days, they tell me the new license is going to add about 20% to the quoted price. I agree, as long as they just come and get it up-and-running as management is on my rear end! After this, silence ...

Getting really loving tired of this, I manage to find another piece of software that does exactly what we want at about 1/4th of the price. So, we contact Ricoh to let them know that we're cancelling the order. Suddenly, it's not a problem to return calls or schedule installs. They'll also talk to their legal department if we cancel.

If they'd just done what they were supposed to do in a timely fashion ... But now it's a shitshow with legal treats, my boss (the owner) in involved and I'm getting stressed out.

Ricoh hosed up their entire printer support system when they started trying to use that to transition into an MSP business. "We've got someone that goes onsite anyway, why not offer to support........."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Certify did a UI update and now their site is broken for nearly half my users.

Hooray.

Edit: If certify.com is in trusted sites OR I open the site in inPrivate browsing, it works fine. This is in IE 11 on my Windows 8 workstations.

The issues does not appear in Chrome or Firefox, or in IE on Windows 10.

edit2: localstorage fails, causing document.ready to not fire, which results in a bunch of layout stuff not working. It works in inPrivate, because it doesn't attempt to use local storage.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 26, 2017

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Ricoh can go choke on a dick. I wouldn't mind at all if that company went bankrupt - because they've been morally dead for years.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I feel kinda lovely because I just had to disable a terminated user in secret because she was friends with one of my co-workers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Found out that we're using the built-in domain\Administrator user as the logged-in account to pilot some new software we're planning on moving to in a couple of months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PM: "So what equipment are we going to need to supply the customer to terminate this new connection?"
Me: "I'm not sure, there's a few different approaches that can be taken to getting this configured, how was the customer told it would function?"
Sales: "Lol I have no idea what promises I made, what do those big words mean?"

:fuckoff:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

Sales: "Lol I have no idea what promises I made, what do those big words mean?"
:fuckoff:

You: Gotcha, better let your boss, my boss, and the CFO know that any overages for this job should come out of your bonus. Only fair since you had no idea what you agreed to when you made the sale right? Those exact terms could even be in the paperwork you signed!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You: Gotcha, better let your boss, my boss, and the CFO know that any overages for this job should come out of your bonus. Only fair since you had no idea what you agreed to when you made the sale right? Those exact terms could even be in the paperwork you signed!

You think the sales guy's boss and the CFO care. That's adorable.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SwitchbladeKult posted:

You think the sales guy's boss and the CFO care. That's adorable.

"Dipshit here sold the customer X for Y dollars, and the cheapest we could possibly provide it is for Y+shitloads, where do you want that extra cash to come from?"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I hosed up today. Ran jmap against a production app (looking for a memory leak that's causing massive problems) and didn't realize it would freeze the app. gently caress.

Having a dev environment to do this poo poo in is taking getting used to.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"Dipshit here sold the customer X for Y dollars, and the cheapest we could possibly provide it is for Y+shitloads, where do you want that extra cash to come from?"

"It will come from the overtime pay that we're required to pay to exempt employees while they work nights and weekends to deliver this."

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

:same:

I feel you fello goon. I've had sleeping problems since I was a child and nothing that's healthy works. I can't combine :yotj: and Benadryl every night. I could but I want to live to see AI murder humanity.

Yeah, I went from having a disorder that made me sleep 20 hours a day to having insomnia my senior year of high school and ever since then it rears its ugly head at least a few times a month. Weed and xanax are the only things I've found that are almost guaranteed to work every time but I really don't want to deal with benzo withdrawal (even though I'm sure my current doc could help me through it) and my state doesn't have a medical weed program/I didn't want it to show up on drug tests while applying to jobs. It's fun.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

"It will come from the overtime pay that we're required to pay to exempt employees while they work nights and weekends to deliver this."

"Oh, the team that has to implement this is salary so I guess they don't get Christmas off this year. Maybe we can buy them pizza to make up for it. Yeah, that'll work!"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

We use a program called Drivve on our copiers to route documents based on some barcode, it's a pain in the dick.

Hey we bought that and never used it.

Hot loving garbage.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's so much garbage software in the corporate world.

I had a shower thought the other day. So you know how there's CE/FCC markings on electric products to let the customer know it's passed some basic tests and isn't dangerous to use if used correctly.

There should be a similar marking for software to show that it's passed some basic testing and is safe for your IT organisation's sanity.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Collateral Damage posted:

I had a shower thought the other day. So you know how there's CE/FCC markings on electric products to let the customer know it's passed some basic tests and isn't dangerous to use if used correctly.

There should be a similar marking for software to show that it's passed some basic testing and is safe for your IT organisation's sanity.

Are you trying to destroy the economy with homeless java developers?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

But we already have the opposite marking system in effect, just with different symbols

For products:

For software:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

spog posted:

For software:

This is one of the many reasons I am looking, I want no part in assisting the migration of the two companies that I support to the global parent company SAP platform.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's time to print 1099's!

Dipshit intern: "Can one of you guys help me with the printer? It's having a feed error."

Me: What are you trying to do?

"We're trying to print 1099's and the carbon copies keep tearing in half"

Me: Carbon copies?

THOSE DON'T WORK IN LASER PRINTERS

Bonus: they are also tractor feed

We're not using the old IBM dot matrix printer this year for 1099's. I explained to the CFO and the lady in accounting who prints them that you have to buy the plain paper 1099 forms from Staples or Office Depot (just like it said in the reminder email from our accounting software), you can't use the old forms in the laser printer.

edit: CFO is over here now asking "Can't we make them work? Can we put them in the manual feed? What if we tear off all the tractor feed edges" :haw:

:smithicide:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

It's time to print 1099's!

Dipshit intern: "Can one of you guys help me with the printer? It's having a feed error."

Me: What are you trying to do?

"We're trying to print 1099's and the carbon copies keep tearing in half"

Me: Carbon copies?

THOSE DON'T WORK IN LASER PRINTERS

Bonus: they are also tractor feed

We're not using the old IBM dot matrix printer this year for 1099's. I explained to the CFO and the lady in accounting who prints them that you have to buy the plain paper 1099 forms from Staples or Office Depot (just like it said in the reminder email from our accounting software), you can't use the old forms in the laser printer.

edit: CFO is over here now asking "Can't we make them work? Can we put them in the manual feed? What if we tear off all the tractor feed edges" :haw:

:smithicide:

Quote them for a new dot matrix Impact Printer. Be sure to mention the price difference between using up old paper with a new printer vs just buying the correct stuff for a laser.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pixaal posted:

Quote them for a new dot matrix Impact Printer. Be sure to mention the price difference between using up old paper with a new printer vs just buying the correct stuff for a laser.

"Why do you want us to buy more things? We already know that this paper will work because we've used it before, I don't know why you're making everything so difficult for us"

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There is a reason the CE marking gets flack sometimes as being known as "China Export" because it gets slapped on things inappropriately. Our best bet is that we learn from the suffering of others in this thread.

Contribution: Spent last night with the team rolling back one of our systems 48 hours in backups due to another fellow on the team making a bulk change which he doesn't recall what it is specifically, and we know only that it broke a bunch of stuff.

At least we fixed it before Friday quittin' time.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Partycat posted:

There is a reason the CE marking gets flack sometimes as being known as "China Export" because it gets slapped on things inappropriately. Our best bet is that we learn from the suffering of others in this thread.

Contribution: Spent last night with the team rolling back one of our systems 48 hours in backups due to another fellow on the team making a bulk change which he doesn't recall what it is specifically, and we know only that it broke a bunch of stuff.

At least we fixed it before Friday quittin' time.

I thought there was literally a China Export that copied the real CE marking nearly exactly, but was a few pixels off, made to specifically mislead people. That would lead to the China Export label being on things that CE wouldn't need to be on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Volmarias posted:

"Why do you want us to buy more things? We already know that this paper will work because we've used it before, I don't know why you're making everything so difficult for us"

"You just like telling people no."

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I thought there was literally a China Export that copied the real CE marking nearly exactly, but was a few pixels off, made to specifically mislead people. That would lead to the China Export label being on things that CE wouldn't need to be on.

You are correct!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
How the hell has that not been taken to court?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who are you going to sue? No one in China gives a gently caress and that's where you'd have to send your lawyers.

Stopping counterfeit goods at ports is a thing that happens but as you can imagine the scale of the problem is enormous.. generally they need a tip that a thing is coming in so they're not spending their whole lives opening every single container.

Some light reading on siezures a quick google turned up:

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-ice-report-more-1-billion-intellectual-property-rights-seizures

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

How the hell has that not been taken to court?

Because 'China Export' is not an official mark Chinese manufacturers put on goods, but a counterfeit 'Conformité Européenne' mark.

"A logo very similar to CE marking has been alleged to stand for China Export because some Chinese manufacturers apply it to their products. However, the European Commission says that this is a misconception. The matter was raised at the European Parliament in 2008. The Commission responded that it was unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark and that, in its view, the incorrect application of the CE marking on products was unrelated to incorrect depictions of the symbol, although both practices took place. It had initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark, and was in discussion with Chinese authorities to ensure compliance with European legislation."

bred
Oct 24, 2008
We're paying a consultant to tell us that CE marking is self regulated so we have to read and figure everything out on our own then let him redline our drafts with mostly formating changes.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

"You just like telling people no."

"Why is IT being so difficult?! I'm escalating this!"

mewse
May 2, 2006

bred posted:

We're paying a consultant to tell us that CE marking is self regulated so we have to read and figure everything out on our own then let him redline our drafts with mostly formating changes.

I worked for a tiny medical device manufacturer who would do more and more stupid poo poo every time they got audited for whatever ISO compliance they were trying for, it was like you could physically see the bureaucracy in action

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I got a great story about enabling users coming back to bite us (me) in the rear end.

We use Symantec's VIP Access for our 2 Factor identification. Works well enough. Well, my company decided it was going to allow users to install the desktop version of the security code generator software on their work laptops. You might think to yourself, "But wouldn't that undermine the entire purpose of having 2 factor?" and I would say my company doesn't think using logic and reasoning like the rest of us. I brought this to the attention of management at my local shop and while they agreed with my assessment they allowed our users to do this foolish thing that I knew would only end in tears (most likely my tears)! Specifically, they allowed one of our lawyers to do it because management didn't want to hear him bitching. Instead of doing the right thing for my company and in the end the user they acquiesced and allowed him to do this dumb thing I told them not to allow. Well, cut to the present day and the security team has finally got wind that my company was allowing this and freaked the gently caress out (rightly so). They quickly deactivated ALL the credentials that came from any of the company's laptops. This caused said lawyer to suddenly be unable to connect to the VPN and he is trying to leave for vacation in Europe TONIGHT. THANKS! Now I had to spend half an hour trying to help come up with a workaround for him while getting an ear full about how “unfair” IT and security is being to him and mark my words he'll be complaining about it for months on end if not for the rest of time.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 27, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I got a great story about enabling users coming back to bite us (me) in the rear end.

We use Symantec's VIP Access for our 2 Factor identification. Works well enough. Well, my company decided it was going to allow users to install the desktop version of the security code generator software on their work laptops. You might think to yourself, "But wouldn't that undermine the entire purpose of having 2 factor?" and I would say my company doesn't think using logic and reasoning like the rest of us. I brought this to the attention of management at my local shop and while they agreed with my assessment they allowed our users to do this foolish thing that I knew would only end in tears (most likely my tears)! Specifically, they allowed one of our lawyers to do it because management didn't want to hear him bitching. Instead of doing the right thing for my company and in the end the user they acquiesced and allowed him to do this dumb thing I told them not to allow. Well, cut to the present day and the security team has finally got wind that my company was allowing this and freaked the gently caress out (rightly so). They quickly deactivated ALL the credentials that came from any of the company's laptops. This caused said lawyer to suddenly be unable to connect to the VPN and he is trying to leave for vacation in Europe TONIGHT. THANKS! Now I had to spend half an hour trying to help come up with a workaround for him while getting an ear full about how “unfair” IT and security is being to him and mark my words he'll be complaining about it for months on end if not for the rest of time.

Hahaha, something fairly similar is happening where I am (albeit without the cranky lawyer). In the last month or so, they've suddenly realized the company is vulnerable, and have been pushing everything public-facing behind 2FA. They let me set it up with an app on my Win10 work PC.

The 2FA is required whether your're on the network already or not, which is a bit frustrating. There's an app for cell phones, but it destroyed my phone's battery, it drained 3x as fast as without the app installed. I uninstalled it, and they helped me set it up on my work machine.

In the last couple days, they moved our terminal server behind the VPN, and set up 2FA on the VPN, both of which make sense. They also moved our OWA behind the 2FA. The upshot of this is that I have to physically have my work laptop in front of me and powered on to log into OWA, because we were too cheap to provide keyfobs like every 2FA system has for the last 20 years.

I guess the upshot is that, if I'm not in the office, I can honestly tell anyone that calls that I can't help or look at anything, and it'll have to wait until I'm back. Because I can't access anything.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Can't you get into trouble if you give him a workaround? I hope you got a paper trail where you objected, since it's rather unfair that you take the blame for that :(

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Can't you get into trouble if you give him a workaround? I hope you got a paper trail where you objected, since it's rather unfair that you take the blame for that :(

Don't worry, I kept it within policy. I'm not dumb enough to circumvent security sticking my neck out for a user much less a lawyer.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Showing up two hours before I usually do because the CEO has a "SUPER IMPORTANT MEETING AND THE TELCO SYSTEM HAS TO WORK" only to find out he blew it off and didn't show up.

Fucker.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Early finish I guess

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Man why do people always want to know the "Why" of everything, no I don't know why that E-mail of yours went into your Outlook junk folder... if it's important just flag it as not spam and go about your business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks sophos for rolling out an application update and breaking itsself on 300 devices, requiring me to manually push out the update. again.