Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Thanks for the replies and recommendations. I'll look into the Ned Rig and lures mentioned.

How bad is it for the fish to swallow the lure? I mean, am I gonna be turning some fish inside out if I start cranking when they swallow it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Thanks for the replies and recommendations. I'll look into the Ned Rig and lures mentioned.

How bad is it for the fish to swallow the lure? I mean, am I gonna be turning some fish inside out if I start cranking when they swallow it?

You'll catch the fish and they are somehow magically good at working out hooks on their own. I read some in-depth study on it where the mortality rate was way lower for gut hooked fish than initially believed. They also clot well when wounded apparently.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Bass can survive a deep hook, but it ain't awesome for them by any measure. If it happens you just want to try to cut the line as deep into its mouth as you can, and don't try to yank the hook out.

If you do go for smaller lures, there's an old fishing saying that goes "hook sets are free". Point being that, if you think you have a fish on, set the hook just in case. Now, hook sets are not in fact free, because sometimes what you felt was your lure ticking a log and now you have just driven a hook into it, but the point still stands, if you feel something weird,set the hook.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anyone planning on going to the Seattle boat show? Thinking about going on Sat to drool on kayaks.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also when you're setting the hook don't just flip it back with your arms, use your back muscles to pull it backwards so there's force behind it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also when you're setting the hook don't just flip it back with your arms, use your back muscles to pull it backwards so there's force behind it

What the? A sharp hook should practically set itself. Using your back on small fish will rip its lip off. Hell you should only being using your wrist set a hook.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

What the? A sharp hook should practically set itself. Using your back on small fish will rip its lip off. Hell you should only being using your wrist set a hook.

Sorry, forgot we were talking about small mouth and not largemouth.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Bass can survive a deep hook, but it ain't awesome for them by any measure. If it happens you just want to try to cut the line as deep into its mouth as you can, and don't try to yank the hook out.

If you do go for smaller lures, there's an old fishing saying that goes "hook sets are free". Point being that, if you think you have a fish on, set the hook just in case. Now, hook sets are not in fact free, because sometimes what you felt was your lure ticking a log and now you have just driven a hook into it, but the point still stands, if you feel something weird,set the hook.

Not that I plan on letting fish swallow the lure, but it's good to know it won't gently caress them up too much. I'm sure at first I'm gonna be jittery enough to try and set a hook on the breeze.

When I was younger and went saltwater fishing with my dad on his friend's boat, he told me if I thought a fish was biting, yank back. I did, with all my dumb 12 year old excitement. I ended up smacking my dad's friend with the rod when I went to set the hook. Felt bad, but it wasn't so bad because I ended up catching a bluefish. I remember being kind of winded and it being giant, but that's probably because I was 12.

Also, good call, WTF BEES, on the trout stamp thing. I went and looked back and I will need one.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
If you're feeling sassy you can always crimp down the barbs on your hooks, allowing for crazy easy releases. The trade off is the fish can much more easily throw the hook if they're a jumper. I personally prefer barbless but then again I've been fishing almost 30 years and "playing the fish" comes second nature.

You will definitely want to get a set of hemostats..... STAT!. Nothing makes removing a swallowed hook faster than a long nose pair of hemostats. In a pinch you can also use a twig with a small fork at the end. Push forked end into the bend of the hook and push, pops the hook right out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you don't care about the hook and prefer to keep the fish alive though, just clip the line off at the mouth and release them carefully.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

coyo7e posted:

If you don't care about the hook and prefer to keep the fish alive though, just clip the line off at the mouth and release them carefully.

Or clip the hook off.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Or clip the hook off.

Remember if fishing in saltwater use bronze hooks because they rust away very rapidly. Also circular hooks are good because they greatly increase lip hooking if played properly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Suspect Bucket posted:

Or clip the hook off.
I'm talking about gut-hooked fish. What are you referring to?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Last time I checked I was pretty sure bronze does not actually rust? Or are "bronze" hooks just called that because they're like bronze colored steel or something?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Back when I was gut hooking a bass a day I read a bunch on the subject and that hooks do not rust out as quickly as people think, but I'm not sure if that was fresh or salt.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Last time I checked I was pretty sure bronze does not actually rust? Or are "bronze" hooks just called that because they're like bronze colored steel or something?

It's bronze colored mild steel/iron. That's just the color.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hooks rust out super fast in saltwater. I caught a 38" snook that had a brand new hook and leader in its mouth [e: someone else hooked it but broke off]. I removed both hooks and took the extra as a souvenir. Literally 2 days later it rusted and crumbled. You do way more damage trying to remove a gut hook yourself.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 27, 2017

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also please don't "use your back" to set the hook, jfc.

If you are using braid (you should be) then the line has zero stretch. Every inch your rod tip moves translates down the line. A flick of the wrist will set the hook and yank the fish 12-24" towards you. Go watch some underwater footage of overeager bass guys setting hooks on bass. The loving bass are yanked 3-6 feet up the water column in the blink of an eye. Probably doesn't do too much damage if they are hooked properly, but it's super unnecessary.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

tesilential posted:

Also please don't "use your back" to set the hook, jfc.

If you are using braid (you should be) then the line has zero stretch. Every inch your rod tip moves translates down the line. A flick of the wrist will set the hook and yank the fish 12-24" towards you. Go watch some underwater footage of overeager bass guys setting hooks on bass. The loving bass are yanked 3-6 feet up the water column in the blink of an eye. Probably doesn't do too much damage if they are hooked properly, but it's super unnecessary.

I like this guy. Stick around.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^:cthulhu:

Tripllllle Pppoooosssssst!
Re: guthooking

If you're catching some fish and hook into what feels like a big one but it's giving you no fight whatsoever, go easy on him as it may have inhaled the bait and swallowed the hook.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Foul hooks are the number one cause of making a monster out of a minnow.

"OMG THIS GUY IS A MONSTER!!!!"

reels in 1lb fish side hooked

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

drat I got savaged. That's on me for explaining how I hook set so poorly

Anyway, I tend to keep tension in the line at all times (or as close to it as I can) with my rod held high. When I feel a bite I pull it a few inches back while holding it straight by squeezing my shoulder blade back. I'm not trying to start a snowblower with my hooksets, they just don't seem to penetrate using the quick snap with how high I keep the rod held. Either that or I'm subconsciously dipping the rod before setting still.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Anyway, I tend to keep tension in the line at all times (or as close to it as I can) with my rod held high. When I feel a bite I pull it a few inches back while holding it straight by squeezing my shoulder blade back. I'm not trying to start a snowblower with my hooksets, they just don't seem to penetrate using the quick snap with how high I keep the rod held. Either that or I'm subconsciously dipping the rod before setting still.

I do a lot of deep saltwater mooching it's totally fine in my ocean!

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This makes sense.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

tesilential posted:

This makes sense.

Hopefully! I'm a mediocre yet conscientious bass fisherman and I tried to do a lot of learning in my backyard pond this year and did hours and hours of trial and error with a lot of different hooks and plastics. Ask Bong how annoying I was with all my questions back in the day.

And yeah, when I was TV camera snapping the rod early on I did pull a 1 pounder clean out of the water.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 27, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I do a lot of deep saltwater mooching it's totally fine in my ocean!

Yeah when jigging deep a good yank is fine especially if you got mono. I've switched over to using braid and stretch is so minimal that a good yank can really just rip the hook out. So many of my hits come on the initial drop I always feel goofy when I realize I got a good bite but the drat reel is still in free spool from dropping.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I keep my tip low in general and always try to set to the side, mostly due to the ever present branches around here.

I also tend to do a second, harder set after the fish has been on for a second or two and I am less likely to pull the lure out of it's mouth.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Back when I was gut hooking a bass a day I read a bunch on the subject and that hooks do not rust out as quickly as people think, but I'm not sure if that was fresh or salt.
I'll go with the advice from DFW until they change it. I've used coated hooks in saltwater and within a couple days they were badly rusted because I'd left them in a bucket without rinsing them off real well. I've also caught fish with hooks which were crumbling, in their lips or bodies.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I'll go with the advice from DFW until they change it. I've used coated hooks in saltwater and within a couple days they were badly rusted because I'd left them in a bucket without rinsing them off real well. I've also caught fish with hooks which were crumbling, in their lips or bodies.

Nice, well I can only say what I read, not gonna die on that hill since I've never fished salt

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Nice, well I can only say what I read, not gonna die on that hill since I've never fished salt

Salt water is the great destroyer of everything iron related.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Salt water is the great destroyer of everything iron related.

RIP every 3 and 4 wheeler I've owned :(

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

For lures, look up "the Ned Rig" and by the Zman plastics and heads. Figure that you will each lose a dozen per day of fishing. Also look for "Charlie brewer Slider Heads" and some 4" "Zoom Trick Worms" to rig on them.

Something I remembered from my youth is using sandworms for bait. And man, gently caress those things. I'd be glad to catch fish using something that doesn't look to hook you back. I'd gladly use and lose some hooks/lures instead of having some god drat worm attack my finger, only to give it away to some fish as a free meal.

Also, I've been looking up the Ned rig. It seems easy enough? I've been trying to refresh myself on tying knots in the line.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 30, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I assume you mean bloodworms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mktMxLrU8rA

Yes, they are awful.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

These jerks. Google is telling me they're different than bloodworms? But similar. They're both biting fucks.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What's the best place to go if you need a starting kit/info to get fishing? I'm in the Dallas area and can get to Bass Pro/Cabelas/any local shops without much trouble.

My granddad made rods throughout his life and gave me a 5'6er I'd like to use. The rod came with an old Penn 720, but I'm thinking it needs a look over and new line before I use it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

These jerks. Google is telling me they're different than bloodworms? But similar. They're both biting fucks.

Man, I did not need to know there are more biting worms in the world.

Democratic Pirate posted:

What's the best place to go if you need a starting kit/info to get fishing? I'm in the Dallas area and can get to Bass Pro/Cabelas/any local shops without much trouble.

My granddad made rods throughout his life and gave me a 5'6er I'd like to use. The rod came with an old Penn 720, but I'm thinking it needs a look over and new line before I use it.

A local store might get you better info but really internet forums are the best source of local info.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rotten Cookies posted:

Something I remembered from my youth is using sandworms for bait. And man, gently caress those things. I'd be glad to catch fish using something that doesn't look to hook you back. I'd gladly use and lose some hooks/lures instead of having some god drat worm attack my finger, only to give it away to some fish as a free meal.

I always heard you'd just bring two buckets when you'd dig steamers, one for clams and one for worms you'd skewer on your pitchfork. Never heard about the fangs though.

Remember kids: Clamdiggers. The fashionable, functional choice for Long Island.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rotten Cookies posted:

These look straight out of Star Trek II.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Remember kids: Clamdiggers. The fashionable, functional choice for Long Island.

Nah, people just roll up their pant legs around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rotten Cookies posted:

Nah, people just roll up their pant legs around here.

The point i'm making is that no one who wears clamdiggers actually digs clams, and are actually snoots. I.E, most long islanders.