Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

enraged_camel posted:

Ah yeah, forgot about that. She was indeed there.

My brother did the same thing. So focused on figuring out the second LMD that he forgot about the one in plain sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OB_Juan posted:

I'm glad Fitz was right, but man, if he was wrong, SHIELD would have taken a helluva dark turn this week.

I thought that too, but the gun was firing Icers. He'd probably given a human concussion but not blown their brains out.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

Amoral in the sense that he would go to the underground and black market to advance his research, but he was never outright malicious or evil.

SHIELD reached out to him because they saw good in him. They kept him on after Hive because they saw good in him. They were right, too. He saved the lives of half the team thanks to his work, and doing stupid things and going out of bounds and being ethically dubious is what SHIELD is all about.

He's a good dude. I don't want the show to write him off as evil and kill him just because of the same poo poo that almost everyone else on the team has dealt with. He's not Ward for crying out loud.

I really agree. He does note that he got a "quick look at the Darkhold" which is what's driving him to go to this extreme, but even now, he seems to really not be going the way of Eli, really trying to not get people killed though he's obviously in too deep. I like his character a lot, I have to admit, and I really want him to have some kind of redemption.

That said I would bet money that real May might die this season. Which is going to suck if the show's not picked up for another season.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really hope Radcliffe is being a double agent and this is all a huge con by Coulson.

Who better to get the Senator's (and the Supreme's) confidence than someone like him?

"Look how helpful I am, doing all this stuff for you in a way where no one actually gets badly hurt and any troubles for Shield in the short term are outweighed by the long term advantages of neutering the Watch Dogs."

Of course, what he's doing to May kinda puts that theory to rest :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gorilla Salad posted:

Of course, what he's doing to May kinda puts that theory to rest :(

Maybe the whole thing was Radcliffe's idea and he threw in an animatronic Real Doll with May's memories as a sweetener on the deal?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It would be a nice twist if Coulson is playing the long con and they are using far more LMDs than we are aware of or that AIDA is aware of (eg maybe the "suspended" May is also LMD, or the PR guy that AIDA killed was also LMD etc...). But that makes some of the drama stuff and character scenes tricky (Fitz vs Simmons in particular).

And we have already pretty much seen how the original May ended up in the subpar matrix booth. So for that plan to work, it would seem that this is being done to her without her consent (but maybe deemed necessary; maybe she actually read the Darkhold? ) but that's why they need her alive and as "comfortable as possible" -- but there will still be hell to pay if she ever gets released.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Zzulu posted:

I hope they don't off Radcliffe because he is rad and Fitz needs a bro he can talk insane science to

Simmons. Not a bro, but certainly someone he can talk insane science to

Soonmot posted:

Can we just start calling the May LMD June?

June isn't bad, but I still like MayB

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We are all LMD's. All of us.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

I really hope Radcliffe is being a double agent and this is all a huge con by Coulson.

So long as when he dies he says "Jupiter's Co...errrgg"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gonz posted:

We are all LMD's. All of us.

Beep boop this is an incorrect statement. *opens portal to Hell and shoves you through*

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
[quote="OB_Juan" post="468757764"]June isn't bad, but I still like MayB[:quote]

According to the closed captioning she's May2.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

As long as no one makes a "Seven Days in May" joke...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

OB_Juan posted:

June isn't bad, but I still like MayB

Someone in the AVClub comments was trying to make LMayD a thing

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The only correct title is MayNot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Javid posted:

Nothing will beat that.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

It's this.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Episode was good. I'm getting tired of Nadir. She's by far the worst actor the show has had, and that's saying something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder why they didn't bring up that Watch Dogs were clearly working for Nadir and that was witnessed by multiple agents, not just Coulson and Daisy.

She's a Umbridge level of rear end in a top hat right now.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If Coulson is in on it, that means he's okay with what is being done with May. There's no way this is the case.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nah he was an amoral dick even before the Darkhold. He will do anything to achieve his goal of :science:

They literally just imported his character from Spartacus and toned down the language for network tv.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

Episode was good. I'm getting tired of Nadir. She's by far the worst actor the show has had, and that's saying something.

It annoys me that they spell it Nadeer and not Nadir.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder why they didn't bring up that Watch Dogs were clearly working for Nadir and that was witnessed by multiple agents, not just Coulson and Daisy.

She's a Umbridge level of rear end in a top hat right now.

Yeah, it's kind of stretching belief at this point but in a stupid way because comic book villains' invulnerability has to play into the narrative. Like they're not even trying to come up with with reasons she's untouchable and just leaning very heavily on "she's a senator!" like that means anything in this day and age.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I mean Ward took care of his Senator brother by killing him and staging it as a suicide.. I really don't think Shield agents are going to go that far.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They have a respected senator on one side, and the word of employees of a really shady and questionable organization that said senator is trying to dismantle on the other. Doesn't take political genius to see they don't have the weight to take her down currently, even if phil/mace/daisy all testify, since they have a plausible motive to smear her.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I really want Mace to come into his own at some point. Right now he's gone from vaguely sinister steroid man to incompetent coward and there has to be room in between for The Patriot.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Literally all they have to do is say she is under investigation, give data linking her to the Watch Dogs (which has been declared a terrorist organization) to another security agency like the FBI, and it throws her into a defensive position. But in Agents of SHIELD, the FBI kinda don't exist so I don't know.

edit: "Respected senator" can only go so far as plot armor when she is just hanging out with terrorists in her spare time and seen with them by officials. Keep in mind that until this past episode, Mace actually had a positive reputation publicly.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 27, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Literally all they have to do is say she is under investigation, give data linking her to the Watch Dogs (which has been declared a terrorist organization) to another security agency like the FBI, and it throws her into a defensive position. But in Agents of SHIELD, the FBI kinda don't exist so I don't know.

They didn't have any. I'm pretty sure the plot of this episode was them trying to get some concrete evidence that isn't hearsay.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bloodychill posted:

She's a Senator. I'm pretty sure SHIELD doesn't have the authority to secretly wiretap her office. Any investigation they conduct would have to go through the proper channels and be approved first.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that's what I figured. Even with a ton of witness, the fact they're all Shield would probably poison the well without anything outside. I still think her Brother is going to be the thing that brings her down.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I still think her Brother is going to be the thing that brings her down.

Only if his next superpower after he comes back to life is "Not Being a loving Moron"

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Her hole big "operating illegally" twist thing was another annoying part. Yo-yo signed the accords and was operating in an official capacity under a governmental organization within the nation that has oversight of the same organization. It's part of the accords that Shield can use powered agents on US soil since they're now a branch of the US government, operating legally. The only thing they can get Coulson and Yo-yo for is trespassing, and since they're a law enforcement organization, they have some rights as an investigative force. Though let's overlook that they would have to operate similarly to how the current intelligence agencies operate and would have needed a warrant of sorts in order to place the surveillance in Nadeer's office.

An even bigger annoyance is that they didn't have a ready-made answer to what happened to the cash that Daisy stole because as far as I can tell, it was a hearing to determine if the actions that she took while operating independently were justified in the guise of undercover vigilante. They're really missing that PR guy right now.

I think we're getting a bit of timeline shock as well. It's been 5 days since May was abducted? That means it's been all of 5 days since Daisy was publicly revealed as working for shield and in that time we've had a failed inhuman extraction, a robot attack, an attempt on Mace's life, and through all that they managed to schedule a congressional hearing? Government doesn't move that fast.

Anyway, all of that is to say that the writing has gotten real sloppy since the break and Nadeer is a terrible actress.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Her hole big "operating illegally" twist thing was another annoying part. Yo-yo signed the accords and was operating in an official capacity under a governmental organization within the nation that has oversight of the same organization. It's part of the accords that Shield can use powered agents on US soil since they're now a branch of the US government, operating legally. The only thing they can get Coulson and Yo-yo for is trespassing, and since they're a law enforcement organization, they have some rights as an investigative force. Though let's overlook that they would have to operate similarly to how the current intelligence agencies operate and would have needed a warrant of sorts in order to place the surveillance in Nadeer's office.

Man, I don't know where you guys get these crazy ideas. Being a law enforcement organization doesn't give SHIELD, or anyone else, the authority to wiretap government officials' offices.

It's called the Wiretap Act. Basically, you need a wiretap order that is authorized by the Justice Department and signed by a District Court or Court of Appeals judge. And the bar for that is pretty high.

SHIELD didn't need such permissions in the past because it was a clandestine organization. Not anymore though. Which is why they are in deep poo poo.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that's what I figured. Even with a ton of witness, the fact they're all Shield would probably poison the well without anything outside. I still think her Brother is going to be the thing that brings her down.

It's what they've setup and why her being untouchable is so contrived.

enraged_camel posted:

Man, I don't know where you guys get these crazy ideas. Being a law enforcement organization doesn't give SHIELD, or anyone else, the authority to wiretap government officials' offices.

It's called the Wiretap Act. Basically, you need a wiretap order that is authorized by the Justice Department and signed by a District Court or Court of Appeals judge. And the bar for that is pretty high.

SHIELD didn't need such permissions in the past because it was a clandestine organization. Not anymore though. Which is why they are in deep poo poo.

I didn't say they should wiretap her. That whole plotline was stupid. All they needed to do was formally announce an investigation of her to put her on the defense. And if they weren't taking pictures or recording her watch dog bros broing it up with Coulson's super arm, that's once again them being stupid. This is an exercise in the old saying that evil will triumph because good is dumb.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

enraged_camel posted:

Only if his next superpower after he comes back to life is "Not Being a loving Moron"

Well, your sister can only shoot you, dump you out of a chopper with a weight tied to you in the ocean so many times before you realize she's a huge bitch.

enraged_camel posted:

If you have enough right wing shithead friends, you can get away with it, and even praised.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
To be fair, the only time SHIELD agents have actually seen Nadir in the company of Watchdogs was that time at her house with her brother. And she could easily say that they were bodyguards (if Mace, Daisy or Jemma didn't see any Watchdogs tattoos on any of them), or as armed burglars.

I mean, obviously, we and SHIELD know the Watchdogs weren't behaving as burglars that time, but it'd be SHIELD's word versus Nadir on that count.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

enraged_camel posted:

Which is what the whole last sentence of that paragraph was about. You'd have to think that Talbot, an experienced general and currently a ranking member in the US intelligence community, would say, "You're determined to plant bugs and/or wiretap her phones? OK, I know a guy that can speed through that paperwork."

If they had made the scandal that they were operating in a clandestine fashion without going through proper legal channels, then that would be one thing. But they made it about Yo-yo, which was the only part of the whole thing that was completely legal in this made-up world with its own set of international laws.

I mean, we're having to ignore a lot of stuff to make any of this plot plausible. Another example: Nadeer seems to have had her own private security force acting inside a US government facility. How does that happen?

Basically, all I'm saying is that despite it being a fairly entertaining episode, especially where the A-plot was concerned, the b-plot was absolutely awful if you want it to make any sort of sense. This has been a theme in regards to Nadeer-involved b-plots.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I didn't say they should wiretap her. That whole plotline was stupid. All they needed to do was formally announce an investigation of her to put her on the defense.

Not sure if that would work. There was a televised debate between Nadeer and Mace, so the public is very aware that the two are enemies. Any investigation SHIELD announced against her would be seen as an attempt to intimidate and discredit her and turn public opinion against SHIELD. And negative public opinion means less funding.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

enraged_camel posted:

Not sure if that would work. There was a televised debate between Nadeer and Mace, so the public is very aware that the two are enemies. Any investigation SHIELD announced against her would be seen as an attempt to intimidate and discredit her and turn public opinion against SHIELD. And negative public opinion means less funding.

That's a good point. They'd have to essentially be able to defeat her in the short game if they went that route.

Still, it seems like even though she's good at staying off the grid, quietly investigating her and looking for opportunities to catch her in the act would not only be a decent way to shake loose anything going around her but also be in line with them being a shadowy spy agency. At the very least, considering they know she is connected with the Watch Dogs and they've apprehended a lot of Watch Dogs recently (all those guys trying to get at Mace), it's not like they don't have a lot of leads to follow.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
One of the major themes of this season has been shield trying to fix their utterly decimated public image. That's the whole reason Mace exists. No one would buy it if they started an investigation of their most vocal opponent in the senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

I wonder how long it will be before Fitz goes full Baltar and creates an LMD Detector. Bonus points if it doesn't work but actually does work but needs a nuclear bomb

• Locked thread