Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
pretty much always thought kanter was kinda dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
whoa i didn't even see the obpm jfc

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

leftist heap posted:

Wrong. Kanter is cool and good.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Wrong. Kanter is cool and good.

you can be cool and good and still be a loving moron see charles barkley

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/RobDauster/status/824849203578839040

college, whatevs

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/824832307076952064

I guess someone posted that already, but it's so dumb that you should really see it again.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 27, 2017

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

$70 million for one tweet good job Blazers

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
#NotMyVets

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
The last time a rookie made the All-Star team was Blake Griffin. I think with the Rising Stars game becoming more prominent, coaches prioritize vets over rookies on the All-Star roster since they can rationalize that the young guys will be getting All-Star weekend exposure anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Personally I think Zaza got robbed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Zogo posted:

The latter. Embiid hasn't even played much.

Embiid is already better than Paul Millsap despite the limited minutes, so

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

leftist heap posted:

Just unbalanced because he's heard Trump is extraditing Gülen

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Petition to nickname Kanter "The Chairman"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Metapod posted:

now i'm tired so correct me if i'm wrong but what those numbers seem to tell me is that jokic is playing better offensively but marc is playing way better defense

Also Gasol has played like 50% more minutes which seems significant.

Also KAT should be in over both of them so it's a moot point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Gasol is the most important defensive player on the 4th best defense in the league. Jokic is anchoring the 29th. There is a huge difference in defense between the two. I'm perfecly ok with Marc Gasol getting all-star votes.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Jokic is a good defensive player, though. You're ignoring all context if you give Gasol all of the credit for being fourth and Jokic all of the penalty for being 29th.

Mudiay, Jamal Murray, Gallinari, and Faried play heavy minutes for that team, there's no way they're not going to be bad

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I'm okay with offense being the most important criteria for the all-star game

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Jokic > Gasol bitches! Sorry bout it haters! Kiss my grits. I fully expect Gasol to eventually go into negative rebounds in a few years. Bahah. Sorry Nick, just a josh

Kanter is out 6-8 weeks. Jesus.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Gasol is in the all-star game because Memphis is a good team and they deserve to have their best player in the all-star game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
There are several West all stars I would have left at home before Gasol.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Serious question: how good does someone's defense have to be that it makes up for the fact that they're one of the worst rebounders at their position and score with average efficiency?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

straight up brolic posted:

Jokic is a good defensive player, though. You're ignoring all context if you give Gasol all of the credit for being fourth and Jokic all of the penalty for being 29th.

Mudiay, Jamal Murray, Gallinari, and Faried play heavy minutes for that team, there's no way they're not going to be bad

They don't really get better defensively when Jokic comes in though. Lineups with him and without him are about the same (bad). I don't think he is bad, but if he is good it's not showing up in opponent score.

Gasol's +/- doesn't look incredible but that's a reason I don't like +/-. Gasol is playing huge minutes so nearly every lineup the Grizzlies have used for significant time this year has had Gasol in it. The lineup that's had the most minutes without Gasol has only played 28 minutes total. He's playing the most minutes in the most important defensive position for a very good defensive team. That's pretty compelling that he is really good at defense and deserves a lot of the credit there.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Also if you were going to give the Grizzlies a charity spot it should absolutely be Mike Conley, who is better than Klay Thompson and is having the best season of his career.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

anakha posted:

N:
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/824713387816943616

V:
:laffo: The Bulls finally managed to offload Tony Snell and still came out the loser in that trade.

to be fair, it it were my job to play professional basketball and I had to play with Michael Carter Williams I'd probably be really pissed off too.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Is MCW the worst rookie of the year ever?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Apparently the Knicks literally cannot trade for Blake Griffin, which I was unaware of:

ESPN posted:

The Knicks, in fact, would be prohibited from trading for Griffin with Derrick Rose still on their roster; a rule in the collective bargaining agreement says teams cannot have two designated rookie max extensions on their roster via trade. New York acquired Rose during the offseason.

What a strange rule.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lmao Joel Embiid is allowing only 42.8% shooting on attempts at the rim that's absurd

E: for context Gobert is second best at 47.4

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 27, 2017

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Also if you were going to give the Grizzlies a charity spot it should absolutely be Mike Conley, who is better than Klay Thompson and is having the best season of his career.

I would've been fine with that too. Tho Conley has missed 10 games out of 45.

Klay's gonna retire the most mediocre 10 time all star in NBA history isn't he?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lmao Joel Embiid is allowing only 42.8% shooting on attempts at the rim that's absurd

all 7 footers should be forced to play soccer in high school.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I would've been fine with that too. Tho Conley has missed 10 games out of 45.

Klay's gonna retire the most mediocre 10 time all star in NBA history isn't he?

No, that's every player reserve in the east

Look at how many all stars joe johnson has

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

He was just mad because it was an "Erdoganomically-designed" chair.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tae posted:

No, that's every player reserve in the east

Look at how many all stars joe johnson has

Joe Johnson is a flat out baller and I won't allow the besmirching of his name

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It's kind of funny how, in retrospect, Bill Simmon's mocumentary on Embiid really undersold him.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

I dunno he's really more of an ottoman.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
How is it that being the 4th seed in the East gets you a charity spot in the All-Star game?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

NotWearingPants posted:

How is it that being the 4th seed in the East gets you a charity spot in the All-Star game?

They would be 10th without him

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
You know, after making fun of Embiid posting up small white guys in vids for a couple years and thinking he'd just break his foot off immediately upon entering his first game, it's amazing to me that we're talking about how Paul Millsap robbed him of an All-Star spot during his rookie campaign. I've never been so happy to be so wrong about a basketball player

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

all 7 footers should be forced to play soccer in high school.

I actually think it's the volleyball experience that's helping his rim protection more than anything.

The soccer is really helping his footwork offensively

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
All of the All-Stars are good and I don't really begrudge any of their selections. Probably if I were a coach I would have left off the 4th Golden State Warrior, and I do think they tend to underestimate rookies, either out of tending to vote for people who have already been All-Stars or a traditional culture of dues-paying. I guess you could also make the argument that the East starting backcourt should not be on the team at all, but Kyrie is very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Stagger_Lee posted:

All of the All-Stars are good and I don't really begrudge any of their selections. Probably if I were a coach I would have left off the 4th Golden State Warrior, and I do think they tend to underestimate rookies, either out of tending to vote for people who have already been All-Stars or a traditional culture of dues-paying. I guess you could also make the argument that the East starting backcourt should not be on the team at all, but Kyrie is very cool.

That dang spot was Isaiah's. Consarn it

• Locked thread