Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Me and my friends went "who" when Jared died

I thought Jared was the kid until he shows up in Chapter 15 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm only like 5 hours into this and its a fun time but i never thought my favourite part of a final fantasy would be the detail of the food.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kelp Me! posted:

I thought Jared was the kid until he shows up in Chapter 15 again.

That's Talcott, the kid who is way too into Cactuars which makes him more recognizable then most other NPCs.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

That's Talcott, the kid who is way too into Cactuars which makes him more recognizable then most other NPCs.

I gave him a bunch of statues before heading overseas as I was buying all the Key Items anyway, that's good. But then in Altissa I bought at least one more Cactuar statue, I feel. Did Tallywhacker ever receive it or am I imagining things?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

I gave him a bunch of statues before heading overseas as I was buying all the Key Items anyway, that's good. But then in Altissa I bought at least one more Cactuar statue, I feel. Did Tallywhacker ever receive it or am I imagining things?

Probably not, since IIRC the only time you actually see them is when he picks you up in his truck and you can't repeat that part of the story.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can buy one in Altissia and then warp back and give it to him. He's briefly confused about how the hell you got one from Altissia before not caring and getting stupid excited about it.

It didn't even seem to be part of any quest since you never have to do it for his Cactuar statue quest but he'll still take it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kelp Me! posted:

Probably not, since IIRC the only time you actually see them is when he picks you up in his truck and you can't repeat that part of the story.

If you go back to Lucis, you can give him 2 more statues. The marble from Altissa and another that's sitting on some oil drums in back left corner of the imperial garrison in Leide. (The optional one)

Somehow he has then all in the truck later :iiam:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Think of it like this, maybe: The scenes of you giving them to him are for player convenience and confirmation of completion. The story reason is that Prompto, Ignis and Gladio looted whatever they could carry from the Regalia (RIP :smith:) when leaving on their way back to Lucis while Noctis is in the crystal and knowing that Talcott is still young, they found room for the statues they picked up after leaving Lucis because he'd be upset that Noctis wasn't there when the boys returned but he would know Noctis was still thinking of him even after he'd left for Altissia and beyond or something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Think of it like this, maybe: The scenes of you giving them to him are for player convenience and confirmation of completion. The story reason is that Prompto, Ignis and Gladio looted whatever they could carry from the Regalia (RIP :smith:) when leaving on their way back to Lucis while Noctis is in the crystal and knowing that Talcott is still young, they found room for the statues they picked up after leaving Lucis because he'd be upset that Noctis wasn't there when the boys returned but he would know Noctis was still thinking of him even after he'd left for Altissia and beyond or something.

That's a whole lotta extrapolation for a massively unimportant plot beat

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They should definitely have brought the Regalia's smokey corpse home.
Logistics be damned

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

:unsmith:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I've gotten everything from the carnival except the Water Trotters trophy. I mean...how?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Considering how weirdly Chocobos handle and how if you miss 1 checkpoint you're basically hosed since circling around to get through it is a giant pain in the rear end, it's kind of annoying that there's no "quit race" option and you just kind of have to sit there and wind down the clock.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Are there any more chocobo colours unlockable via the carnival stuff?

qbert posted:

I've gotten everything from the carnival except the Water Trotters trophy. I mean...how?

Jump just before sprints end, jump to skip corners, jump to go faster in water, don't miss the floating chocobo steroids.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 26, 2017

Nemdlin
Oct 12, 2012

It's easy when you know how.

Kelp Me! posted:

Considering how weirdly Chocobos handle and how if you miss 1 checkpoint you're basically hosed since circling around to get through it is a giant pain in the rear end, it's kind of annoying that there's no "quit race" option and you just kind of have to sit there and wind down the clock.

If you try to dismount when you're not in the water you have the option to retry the course, you still have to sit through a painful loading screen each time of course.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I want to say no one would be that cruel and unusual, but if you leave Pitioss and come back later, are all the checkpoints you unlocked still unlocked, or does it reset? I don't want to do two hours of this dungeon again, but I want to save.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ZenVulgarity posted:

Me and my friends went "who" when Jared died

I have a theory that the light house area was originally much earlier in the plot and served as the base that hammerhead eventually did instead. Like the whole place is treated like you would be coming back there a lot and people talk like they are about to give you tutorials but then don't. Like a guy wants to explain the magic system to you and gives you a flask like you didn't have 8 already.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

I want to say no one would be that cruel and unusual, but if you leave Pitioss and come back later, are all the checkpoints you unlocked still unlocked, or does it reset? I don't want to do two hours of this dungeon again, but I want to save.

It will not reset if you leave but you don't get to start at your checkpoint spot either, meaning if there's no easy shortcut to get back to where you were, you might have to redo some poo poo.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sure, it just comes off as really narratively weird that science understood how this one particular part worked and it was overall quite mundane. While all the other parts still seem to be quite mystical.

Well see this is a FANTASY based on REALITY so mumblemumblemumble

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I have a theory that the light house area was originally much earlier in the plot and served as the base that hammerhead eventually did instead. Like the whole place is treated like you would be coming back there a lot and people talk like they are about to give you tutorials but then don't. Like a guy wants to explain the magic system to you and gives you a flask like you didn't have 8 already.

Plus the thing with the carrots

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That'd make a whole lot of sense, and if that had been the case the whole farming thing might have been less irrelevant.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I agree. There's a lot of rumors that the entire train stuff was a whole separate, explorable continent just as big and full as the main one, not to mention The World of Ruin they just didn't have time to do it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

morallyobjected posted:

Everything stays unlocked, no worries.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

morallyobjected posted:

There's a way to glitch the game into letting you save and warp while in Pitioss (unless 1.04 patched it out). I'm probably oversimplifying things, but you need to stand on the outside platform you jump onto to get to the entrance of the dungeon, the one where you get the notice that the bros have left your party, then jump partially back to the normal game area which will make the bros rejoin the party, then double back while in midair to land where you jumped from, then get through the fence before you get the notice that they've left the party appears.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Steyliff Menace was 100 floors of Tonberries, Master Tonberries, Flans that are totally resistant to physical attacks, Psychomancers and more and it still took me less time than Pitioss did.

gently caress Pitioss.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

qbert posted:

You need to make the jump after grabbing the first choco boost and land on that raised straight section that has another boost on it. So basically it's a no loving up run.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I see some people in here suggesting that Kingsglaive doesn't need watching but nobody is giving the proper reason why it absolutely must be watched under a certain circumstance.
That circumstance is if you are a fan of Final Fantasy 6. If you are a fan of Final Fantasy 6, you need to watch Kingsglaive.
Why? loving Ultross is in it. For like 10 minutes. He doesn't talk but he gets an amazing scene.
Plus it's just really pretty CGI if you're into that kind of thing. I really don't get why the movie gets so much hate, it's just inoffensive with amazing CGI.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I liked the movie enough, and it prepared me well for the game world. Luna is a different character in the movie than she is the game and tho I understand why, introducing the Oracle concept when there was nothing to do with it would have only served to confuse, it's still jarring for to her be but a meager princess being absconded with back and forth in the flick while in the game she is far more an entity to herself, doing her public deeds and exercising agency and backbone and being impactful in highly dangerous situations. But again, just in terms of the movie being concise and cogent, it would have been really bad storytelling.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Just beat it. Quick thoughts: could have been a lot better. It felt like they had six different games they wanted to make, didn't know what to throw out, so just grabbed pieces here and there and hoped that a story would somehow show itself. It didn't, and the game failed because of it. It's a convoluted and disjointed game that has good game play, but that game play alone doesn't save it.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Vrikkian posted:

Just beat it. Quick thoughts: could have been a lot better. It felt like they had six different games they wanted to make, didn't know what to throw out, so just grabbed pieces here and there and hoped that a story would somehow show itself. It didn't, and the game failed because of it. It's a convoluted and disjointed game that has good game play, but that game play alone doesn't save it.

My favorite way to play has been to pretend that the story parts aren't there. The story does not work with the gameplay at all. It doesn't make sense that you're leisurely puttering around on a road trip across the continent after the events of the very first chapter of the game, it doesn't make sense that you're introduced to a lot of characters who never show up again, it doesn't make sense that critical elements of the plot happen offscreen in the game or in other media entirely, it doesn't make sense that the Empire is killing gods who nevertheless bail you out regularly in battle, it doesn't make sense that you revisit the open world through the exact same handwave mechanic used in Star Ocean 2 of all things, and it really doesn't make sense that you have an enormous postgame when (major ending spoilers) your main character and possibly your companions die at the end.

So ignore the plot and appreciate the open world--I got 100 hours out of it and loved every minute of it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Vrikkian posted:

and hoped that a story would somehow show itself. It didn't
Disagree. As a person who loved the story, the issue is really with how that story was told. That production went as it did, it was six different games over time and that so many elements clearly remained in made it quite disjointed at points. But the actual story itself is really succinct though with much area for speculation and that's what I found so great about it, the simplicity. It's four friends on a road trip, they use Coleman and love Cup Noodles and have to push their car when it runs out of gas, who find a higher purpose as they embark on an adventure to save the world. It's incredibly simple and ripe for tropes- the jock, the brains, the cool rich kid, the nerdy friend, and the hot blonde love interest- and uses those to its strengths, only with various Final Fantasy conontation applied all around. And the speculation only furthers it as a slice of life as truly life makes sense by necessity but ultimately we're surrounded by not knowing how things work, what motivations people may have, how others are feeling, ad infinitum. And like real life, so often our adversaries accomplish their goals as Ardyn did. The story was comedy, it was tragedy, and it took me with along like one of the friends, allowing me to focus on the humanity instead of the fantastic, which is where Final Fantasy usually suffers.

That is all.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 27, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Draile posted:

it doesn't make sense that the Empire is killing gods who nevertheless bail you out regularly in battle

Regularly?

I have only seen them come to my aid when they were going to because they were programmed to do so for the plot. Never have I seen them outside of those instances.

Ramuh at the base.

Titain vs Leviathan

Shiva vs Ifrit

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They frequently pop up in hunts for me which is funny when it's some stupid group of elephants or something

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Yeah, I don't know what they did to him, but Ramuh fuckin' hates wild animals.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

But never in the Menace dungeons, of course

Leviathan will help me deal 100k to a level 30 Gigantoad but god forbid I catch a break against 6 Tonberries at once :smith:

Worst part is Gentiana shows up in Prompto's Menace dungeon photos all the drat time. I KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT THERE SHIVA WTF

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I've heard a ton of complaints about people never seeing summons, but I saw Shiva like ten times in one 3 or 4 hour gameplay session.

Also the one time I saw Leviathan was in the desert far away from any body of water.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

cvnvcnv posted:

Disagree. As a person who loved the story, the issue is really with how that story was told. That production went as it did, it was six different games over time and that so many elements clearly remained in made it quite disjointed at points. But the actual story itself is really succinct though with much area for speculation and that's what I found so great about it, the simplicity. It's four friends on a road trip, they use Coleman and love Cup Noodles and have to push their car when it runs out of gas, who find a higher purpose as they embark on an adventure to save the world. It's incredibly simple and ripe for tropes- the jock, the brains, the cool rich kid, the nerdy friend, and the hot blonde love interest- and uses those to its strengths, only with various Final Fantasy conontation applied all around. And the speculation only furthers it as a slice of life as truly life makes sense by necessity but ultimately we're surrounded by not knowing how things work, what motivations people may have, how others are feeling, ad infinitum. And like real life, so often our adversaries accomplish their goals as Ardyn did. The story was comedy, it was tragedy, and it took me with along like one of the friends, allowing me to focus on the humanity instead of the fantastic, which is where Final Fantasy usually suffers.

That is all.

Well said. Summarizes my feelings well.

RE: Magic explained / "Magic as alternative physics": This kind of plot device is notorious for being difficult to pull off well. Brandon Sanderson (author of the Latter half of Wheel of Time Novels, Mistborn, and the Stormlight Archives) uses it heavily as "magic with rules", and FF15 does have some of that vibe, where "magic" is just an esoteric field of physics.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hagie posted:

Regularly?

I have only seen them come to my aid when they were going to because they were programmed to do so for the plot. Never have I seen them outside of those instances.

Ramuh at the base.

Titain vs Leviathan

Shiva vs Ifrit

I might just have a terrible memory but I don't think that second one was scripted because I'm pretty sure it didn't happen for me. But as far as the scripted ones go, you're missing Bahamut vs Ifrit.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kelp Me! posted:

But never in the Menace dungeons, of course

Leviathan will help me deal 100k to a level 30 Gigantoad but god forbid I catch a break against 6 Tonberries at once :smith:

Worst part is Gentiana shows up in Prompto's Menace dungeon photos all the drat time. I KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT THERE SHIVA WTF

tbh, I think that the summon attacks are basically modeled as a giant spheres that bypass walls and it can damage enemies on higher or lower z levels then you are

You don't normally see it, but on a few cases in Costlemark, Summons wasted stuff on lower levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zest posted:

Well said. Summarizes my feelings well.

RE: Magic explained / "Magic as alternative physics": This kind of plot device is notorious for being difficult to pull off well. Brandon Sanderson (author of the Latter half of Wheel of Time Novels, Mistborn, and the Stormlight Archives) uses it heavily as "magic with rules", and FF15 does have some of that vibe, where "magic" is just an esoteric field of physics.

It really doesn't need to be explained at all though, "we have science and technology oh but also magic but we don't really talk about how that works lol" has been a series mainstay since IV (even earlier if you want to count airships).

• Locked thread