Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
A girl I knew in college quit her job as an accountant at a Fortune 500 company to become a tattoo artist's apprentice. She never got licensed.

Now she works on a farming commune and does unlicensed tattoos for the other members of the commune, solicits donations on Facebook, and is also a witch?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A girl I know in college quit her job as an accountant at a Fortune 500 company to become a tattoo artist's apprentice. She never got licensed.

Now she works on a farming commune and does unlicensed tattoos for the other members of the commune, solicits donations on Facebook, and is also a witch?

Living on a commune is GWM though cuz you can mooch off your magic woodpecker sisters' doritos for free

Also mods please change name to "Hashtag Bog Witch" tyia

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

From a GBS thread on "searching forums to get funny counts of things on one forum vs another"

Veskit posted:

"Horse"

BFC - Bad With Money Thread - 467
Heavy Petting - 420

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

therobit posted:

How do you suggest banks verify? Typically people are verified for mail, phone, and internet applications by using the data provided on the application and comparing it to internal and 3rd party data. If a parent has all this information already, the there may not be any red flags to suggest there is a problem with the application. Additionally, regulators take a dim view of applying additional scrutiny to phone, mail, and online applications. Many lenders lend outside of thier physical footprint so asking everyone to come into a branch isn't realistic, especially for institutions without physical branch offices. If you file a police report once you discover the fraud, they will work with you to get it cleared up. If you are not willing to file a police report, then why would they?

If the banks who are lending to people without knowing who they were suddenly were legally responsible for their bad investments then the problem would fix itself.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Used to work at a major movie theater in high school. Someone found a glitch in the touch screen computer system for ticket sales, that if you touched the right spot at the right time, it would spit out duplicate movie tickets, but not register them in the system. People would get a group of 4 paying cash, ring up 2 tickets and duplicate them. Put half the cash in the register and keep the other half. A guy bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma with cash this way. I only worked there for a short time but I think no one ever got caught and the only way it got stopped was when the company eventually updated the software. I think the only way they would have got caught is if they over sold a movie. Some of those people were bringing in $800 a day. I bet the GM was getting hammered by corporate for sales targets dropping so much. But then again, 95% of their profit comes from concessions. I would just steal the free movie vouchers from customer service and trade them to the Chipotle workers next door for burritos....

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

C.H.O.M.E posted:

If the banks who are lending to people without knowing who they were suddenly were legally responsible for their bad investments then the problem would fix itself.

They aleady are you loving retard. They all have policies which are governed by federal law that include provisions for what happens in the event of fraud. They pay to insure against large losses and generally will eat small losses, and most institutions will not hold customers accountable for identity theft losses that are reported in a timely manner and that have been reported as fraud to the proper authorities. If someone refuses to report the fraud to police, what reasonable justification is there to say they are not lying about the identity theft? Just trusting them would be very BWM.

You also did not explain what you think banks arw not doing in these cases that they should be and that would also pass federal scrutiny and would not place an undue burden on legitimate borrowers.

You seem think it is both possible and feasible to end fraud completely, so let's hear you plan.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

therobit posted:

You seem think it is both possible and feasible to end fraud completely, so let's hear you plan.

Abolish banks. :smugdog:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

A girl I knew in college quit her job as an accountant at a Fortune 500 company to become a tattoo artist's apprentice. She never got licensed.

Definitely BWM, but I can't help but respect the bold choice of throwing away good career prospects to embrace a very alternative lifestyle. #bogwitch

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Abolish banks. :smugdog:

Realistically, this would probably make it worse as less regulated, uninsured entities rushed into the market.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Some vintage BWM: Live paycheck-to-paycheck as a top surgeon, duck out mid operation so you can cash a check before the bank closes. Lose your medical license, get sued to oblivion and wind up in jail on drug charges.

http://archive.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/03/21/what_went_wrong/

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

Some vintage BWM: Live paycheck-to-paycheck as a top surgeon, duck out mid operation so you can cash a check before the bank closes. Lose your medical license, get sued to oblivion and wind up in jail on drug charges.

http://archive.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/03/21/what_went_wrong/

"Fromson ticks off the warning signs: verbally abusive behavior, tardiness, unexcused absences, inappropriate sexual behavior. The signs of strain tend to come first in a doctor's personal life. "When things happen at the workplace," he says, "usually they have been going on for a long time."

Yeah, doctors and every single other person on the planet. I don't think people with drug addictions are worthy of scorn or derision for that alone, but you don't see poor people or people who aren't doctors having their cases referred to as loving Greek tragedies when they decide to sling meth and abandon their patients. I have worked with doctors all my adult life and guess what, they're just as stupid and human as everyone else.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

Holy moly. Thanks for this article. Grade A prime schadenfreude. The guy reminds me of some of my classmates.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Krispy Kareem posted:

You might get away embezzling from a small business or even a local city or county government. But you go to jail stealing from the bank (note you do not go to jail for stealing identities in a bank).

But you will become a people's hero by burning down the bank comrade.

E:

therobit posted:

Realistically, this would probably make it worse as less regulated, uninsured entities rushed into the market.
Abolish capital capital and the bourgeoisie :fuckoff:

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 27, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

the line up the back of the hand says either BER or REV depending on which direction you read it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

the line up the back of the hand says either BER or REV depending on which direction you read it

Really should have had it keep going up the middle finger and spell out gently caress or something

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I fell down the deep hole of fake news sites and stumbled upon this this.

I...I can't tell if this poo poo is real (I'm leaning towards 'no'). The whole site is kinda sketchy and it has no internet presence outside of the site itself.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 27, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Is "tatty" some sort of obscure Jewish slang?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

therobit posted:

They aleady are you loving retard. They all have policies which are governed by federal law that include provisions for what happens in the event of fraud. They pay to insure against large losses and generally will eat small losses, and most institutions will not hold customers accountable for identity theft losses that are reported in a timely manner and that have been reported as fraud to the proper authorities. If someone refuses to report the fraud to police, what reasonable justification is there to say they are not lying about the identity theft? Just trusting them would be very BWM.

You also did not explain what you think banks arw not doing in these cases that they should be and that would also pass federal scrutiny and would not place an undue burden on legitimate borrowers.

Hm. You seem upset.

They're not being held responsible for making bad loans if they hit someone's credit without figuring out who they are giving money to. Make it illegal to hurt someone's credit when you didn't do due diligence to figure out who you were lending to. Easy peasy.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Hm. You seem upset.

They're not being held responsible for making bad loans if they hit someone's credit without figuring out who they are giving money to. Make it illegal to hurt someone's credit when you didn't do due diligence to figure out who you were lending to. Easy peasy.

How do you suggest they make sure more than they are doing now? DNA tests?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Pekinduck posted:

I will see your crazy Boston surgeon, and raise you a crazy Indiana surgeon who racked up $6 million in debt, had 350 malpractice lawsuit pending, then fled to Switzerland: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2011/01/missing-doctor-201101

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I can't tell if this is GWM or BWM or so BWM that it warps around to being GWM: My coworker told me that he is getting almost 9k back in tax refunds.

I asked him how that was possible and apparently, he lived rent-free for the first year he was at his current house. He got used to spending all of his money and got into a lot of trouble when he had to start paying rent each month.

So, he ends up making a ton of voluntary withholdings and taking no exemptions on his taxes every year so he can get a massive tax refund and then pays his rent for the entire year upfront so he can keep spending his checking account down to zero each month without worrying about it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There's a perverse self awareness there but... geez.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's GWM in that it stops him from being even worse with money, I guess?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

That's still super bad with money

If you're not going to have access to the money you're earning, you might as well be earning dividends on it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is there some kind of savings account that would do that, specifically not let him access the money until a year later (since that's what I assume his big deal here is)? I know CD's sort of work that way but do they even make 1-year CD's?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

Is there some kind of savings account that would do that, specifically not let him access the money until a year later (since that's what I assume his big deal here is)? I know CD's sort of work that way but do they even make 1-year CD's?

Ally bank has them at 1.05%

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Hm. You seem upset.

Actually they are being held responsible if the victim reports the crime to the police and files a police report. The victim provides the police report to the bank, the bank lets the victim off the hook, the bank makes a claim against their insurance policy using the police report, the insurance pays out. If the police can identify and prosecute the identity thief, then they go after the person for damages.

The only place this falls down is when there's some perverse concept of filial obligation to not report your parent to the police when they literally steal thousands of dollars from you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

Huh for some reason I thought they only started at like 2-5 years but wikipedia says some go down to a few months even :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well heck. I know he's giving the government a free loan and not getting any interest - but that is a pretty good way to bypass your own BWM habits.

We're got murdered on taxes last year so I've got an unholy amount being withheld in addition to 0 deductions this year. Once you get past those first few months it's remarkably easy to forget you ever had that money.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The only place this falls down is when there's some perverse concept of filial obligation to not report your parent to the police when they literally steal thousands of dollars from you.

Which unfortunately happens way too often and means the debt belongs to the victim.

I still agree with the system. Banks know it's hard to snitch on family, but just because it's the hard choice doesn't mean it's the wrong one. Someone who commits identity theft against their child will probably do the same against their grandchild unless stopped and the prospect of being stuck with a fraudulent debt is the best motivator around.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Dustoph posted:

But then again, 95% of their profit comes from concessions.

Probably a lot more than that in that theater's case, because it's not like the distribution company would give them a break on the reel fees because their ticket sales were low. God drat

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Nothing is stopping you from cashing out the CD early though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

[OH] My friend contested his college debts on his credit report

In Ohio, several friends and I went to college. We've all since graduated. Let's call one of these friends "Bob". Just recently we were together in the bar, and this is roughly the exchange that went down:

Bob: So, guys, I solved my federal student loan issue!

Me: That's great!

Other friend: How'd you do it?

Bob: I realized all the debts and charges are listed on my credit report. I went through and contested them [as fraudulent], and now they're all gone! Now I don't have to pay my FAFSA back anymore.

Me: Uhmm.... You do realize that isn't legal?

Bob: No, you're legally allowed to contest charges. I just had to fill out some paperwork and now they're all gone! It was actually really simple.

So, if I'm not mistaken, filing false fraud reports is illegal, right? And if so, how long should he expect to wait before this comes crashing down on his head, and what lawyer should I tell him to look for when the local university inevitably figures this out. How hosed is he?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I think some banks still have Christmas Club accounts.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

therobit posted:

Ahh, but the perfect invisible hand of the free market will protect us, it's not like TotallyNotStealing01 will skim off their Ponzi scheme as long as possible before folding, and then TotallyNotStealing02 shows up with the same people involved.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

No Butt Stuff posted:

I don't know if this is still the case, but I was in the market to park my senior year tuition somewhere short-term and interest-earning when I was a junior in college, and the 13-month CD my credit union offered paid something like a third more interest than the 12-month. GWM: Being able to defer a month instead of taking the obvious "nice and round" option.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bob: No, you're legally allowed to contest charges. I just had to fill out some paperwork and now they're all gone! It was actually really simple.

So, if I'm not mistaken, filing false fraud reports is illegal, right? And if so, how long should he expect to wait before this comes crashing down on his head, and what lawyer should I tell him to look for when the local university inevitably figures this out. How hosed is he?

They're not charges and he's not insinuating fraud by contesting anything on his credit report. The tradelines have been temporarily removed while they furnish documentation of the debt to the credit agencies. It means everyone involved is doing their jobs promptly in this case, which is kind of surprising but not insane because these are likely his only debts and they sound fresh out of college.

Bob is in for a rude awakening in 30 to 45 days when they are validated, assuming they're current, and his reddit posting friend is dumb as hell.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5qevmq/39_120k_debt_80k_job_drowning_and_dont_know_what/

quote:

So yeah....
Own my house, owe 300k and it's appraised at 425k. But I also have nearly 120k in CC/unsecured debt. I'd happily give up every luxury in my life as long as my kids can stay in this house. Anyway, trying to stay on point...

I have a decent job, exceptional benefits (and I do mean exceptional), but I've screwed up my finances pretty badly with debt. Always did pretty well for myself, but I didn't manage things well. I had a great thing going and I hosed it up.

I can't even figure out how to unravel all of this. I hope someone can point me in the right direction to sort this out. Looking at getting a consultation from a nearby company, https://www.consumerdebtcounselors.com/, but I can't tell if they're legit or not - or if that's even the right path to go down.

Any advice?
Edit. Line by line: min payment/balance
CC1: 300/10k
CC2: 600/20k
Loan1: 230/13k
Loan2: 1100/26k
Loan3: 800/50k

Mortgage:
300k owed, recently appraised at 425k. Payment is 2700. Edit2: I should note this is a 15yr note @3.75%.
Other monthly expenses:
120 - landscaping (my yard is huge, it'd cost more to do it myself, seriously)
300 - power bill
250 - cell + internet
100 - car insurance
96 - misc, kids dance lessons/netflix/etc

Income:
2600/biweekly
Don't ask how I've made it this far with this kind of debt... been juggling numbers for months and I'm reaching critical mass.
Savings? Um. If I pooled everything I had, maybe 12k. Though if I tried to turn it all into cash tomorrow it'd probably be 2-3k less.

Pretty much textbook living way above his means. $5200 incoming, $6400 debt service/bills with no mention of food/clothing/household expenses. But hey, at least his yard looks nice.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Barry posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5qevmq/39_120k_debt_80k_job_drowning_and_dont_know_what/

Pretty much textbook living way above his means. $5200 incoming, $6400 debt service/bills with no mention of food/clothing/household expenses. But hey, at least his yard looks nice.

Choice quote from the thread after OP said he grew up dirt poor and wanted something better "for his kids":

quote:

There's a lot of room between dirt poor and having landscapers because your yard is so big.

EDIT: also

quote:

You know, I used to be jealous of big houses then I realized you can only poo poo in 1 toilet at a time.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 27, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
He needs to downsize and apply some of that sweet windfall to the debt, but after closing costs he won't net enough from the sale to completely eradicate it. He's 39 and worse than worthless. drat. All because he didn't want to eat rice and beans I guess.

The funny thing is he IS dirt poor.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What the hell are his 3 unsecured loans for?

Also, his wife doesn't work, but they have 2 cars (his wife's is worth 28k) and he thinks that losing the house is better than canceling his kids' dance lessons because it would make them look poor and not be "a better life than I had."

• Locked thread