Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

I want to play with commander shepard. I don't even care about the plot holes and other related continuity issues. Just let me play with Shepard. Or at least call me commander. Hmm you can rename the heroes in ME4 and customize their faces? That just might solve my problem!

What does it matter? How is one Bioware Space Marine Mary Sue different from any other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The best part about integrating alien technology into our computer AI is going to be configuring the drivers

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dolash posted:

Mass Effect always seemed to imply the galactic taboo on AI research was something humanity didn't much care about and was really only officially obeying while continuing all sorts of AI experiments off the books. It's not surprising they'd roll it out for their big extra-galactic mission ("Everything's legal in international waters!"), although it might turn out that the other Pathfinders (there's one for each Council Race's ark, right?) don't have their own.

SAM warped the ship to the wrong place because Dad Ryder programmed him in imperial units instead of metric.

Beefstew posted:

Also, why is Peebee's skin all smooth? By the time ME3 rolled around, the asari had pretty prominent scales.

Unfortunate side effect of centuries of Ditto breeding. Vaccines developed, but nothing to be done for existing cases.

One thing from the trailer: At the very beginning, Cora (it is Cora, right?) walks onto the bridge from the left, and I think there's something wrong with her spine.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wait a second, maybe you guys already discussed this but in the team video, Dad Ryder went through the original "Welcome to the universe humans!" relay, and the Arks have been in flight for 600 years or whatever, but the dude doesn't look more than late 50s. So what hilarious part of this am I missing? Is Bioware just forgetting its own poo poo, or did Dad Ryder spend like ten years in this bold new universe of alien species and poo poo and go "Alright put me to sleep for 600 years, gently caress this poo poo".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FronzelNeekburm posted:

One thing from the trailer: At the very beginning, Cora (it is Cora, right?) walks onto the bridge from the left, and I think there's something wrong with her spine.

I was too busy wondering if Scott Ryder had a back injury or is literally a marionette judging by how he walks onto the bridge.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Orv posted:

Wait a second, maybe you guys already discussed this but in the team video, Dad Ryder went through the original "Welcome to the universe humans!" relay, and the Arks have been in flight for 600 years or whatever, but the dude doesn't look more than late 50s. So what hilarious part of this am I missing? Is Bioware just forgetting its own poo poo, or did Dad Ryder spend like ten years in this bold new universe of alien species and poo poo and go "Alright put me to sleep for 600 years, gently caress this poo poo".

I'm not up on all the ME lore or anything, but I recall them saying that people can live to be 150, so Dad Ryder could be a lot older than he looks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Orv posted:

Humans opened the relay almost 30 years before ME1. He went through that as a fresh faced 20 year old and now he's in his 50s/60s and wants to recapture his youth with something even grander in scale. Classic mid-life crisis scenario.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

marshmallow creep posted:

Humans opened the relay almost 30 years before ME1. He went through that as a fresh faced 20 year old and now he's in his 50s/60s and wants to recapture his youth with something even grander in scale. Classic mid-life crisis scenario.

I think Rydermom will also probably play into the decision somehow.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
So, there is no mass effect relays in andromeda right? how is that going to work? Are we just going to get some 'lucky every single planet in this new trilogy are super super close to eachother" or like some "turns out we could fly as fast as we wanted without them but lets not just go back to the milky way with this super speed" or will we discover mass effect relays at some point in the game? Or just forget about it all and suddenly space ships can fly around the whole galaxy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Man, I wouldn't want to watch an episode of Star Trek with some of you pedants.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So, there is no mass effect relays in andromeda right? how is that going to work? Are we just going to get some 'lucky every single planet in this new trilogy are super super close to eachother" or like some "turns out we could fly as fast as we wanted without them but lets not just go back to the milky way with this super speed" or will we discover mass effect relays at some point in the game? Or just forget about it all and suddenly space ships can fly around the whole galaxy.

This game is set in one star cluster.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Remember how every star cluster in previous games had tons of planets you could scan you just didn't have missions on them? This time you can go down to all of them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

8one6 posted:

"Shepard Ryder, we've installed an AI in your armor because this is a sci-fi series and all sci-fi series' have snarky AI it will improve your reaction time or something."
"Great, but isn't AI research illegal?"
"We're ignoring the previous series lore It's another loving stupid Cerberus experiment It's ok, your dad invented it."
"Ok, what's it called?"
"iCandy SAM. She's going to have rockin' robo-tittays! In the future we may be able to upgrade it with new technology that we find."

you'll bang, okay?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I think I don't wanna bang any of these people

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I think I don't wanna bang any of these people

The true canary in the coal mine of any Bioware game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ashley got way hotter in ME3, and she spends less time talking about Making the Alliance Great Again. Granted, some of that is because a robot punched her brain.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

marktheando posted:

Man, I wouldn't want to watch an episode of Star Trek with some of you pedants.

This game is set in one star cluster.

Also, this is not supposed to be the start of a new trilogy. This one game is its own thing and if it works out they may make more games in Andromeda, but for all we know there could be another centuries-long gap while they build mass effect relays or discover other forms of FTL.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

All Mass Effect games from this point on will be set in different galaxies to escape the plots of their predecessors.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

All Mass Effect games from this point on will be set in different galaxies to escape the plots of their predecessors.

Betting :10bux: that somewhere along the next two games there will be a "return to the milky way" main questline/dlc

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Slightly less hyperbolically, they may kick off by visiting a new cluster in Andromeda.

"Boy, it sure is great things worked out in Helios and we can start expanding to other clusters!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Transmetropolitan posted:

Betting :10bux: that somewhere along the next two games there will be a "return to the milky way" main questline/dlc

Yeah, except the ending of mass effect 3 could leave everyone dead or as weird cyber robots or with shepard as an immortal reaper swarm god. Going back to the milky way would require deciding a lot of twisting things around to show anything and pretty much never could fit with the possible universes the last game left with.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, except the ending of mass effect 3 could leave everyone dead or as weird cyber robots or with shepard as an immortal reaper swarm god. Going back to the milky way would require deciding a lot of twisting things around to show anything and pretty much never could fit with the possible universes the last game left with.

I was thinking myself that it would be much more likely that it would involve copious amounts of spacemagic - call it a dimensional rift or whatever - that sends people back to the milky way but a million years into the future which has nothing recognizable in it because of exactly the reasons you mentioned.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well, going back to the Milky Way would involve another 600 years in cryo napping. After 1200 years, they could probably get away with just about anything.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Well, going back to the Milky Way would involve another 600 years in cryo napping. After 1200 years, they could probably get away with just about anything.

God Emperor of Dune-type Shepard Reaper!

Or just a new society with a bunch of these images laying around

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

If you do the "refusal" ending then everyone in the entire galaxy is dead and all that remains is some tapes Liara made that will get dug up 50,000 years later by the people of the next cycle.

Serf
May 5, 2011

BexGu posted:

Where is this from? That's pretty cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't think it would be that difficult to reconcile if they adopted the Deus Ex strategy of "all endings are partially true." The Reapers are for the most part destroyed, God-Shepard is floating around out there somewhere, and Joker's hat is alive.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Serf posted:

Where is this from? That's pretty cool.

I can't remember exactly who did themt but it was something I remember from the gently caress Yeah Mass Effect site (and tumbler). There is actually a third one (One for each ending in the different styles for the three major species) that I couldn't find.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I hope to god that they didn't name the AI SAM so that the plot can bring out ME3's old chestnut of "ORGANICS AND SYNTHETICS CAN'T LIVE TOGETHER SO EVERYONE HAS TO BE CYBORGS!" And you become the wonderfully gender neutral name Sam Ryder.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are we talking about a star cluster like a cluster of stars, or a solar system?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think it would be that difficult to reconcile if they adopted the Deus Ex strategy of "all endings are partially true." The Reapers are for the most part destroyed, God-Shepard is floating around out there somewhere, and Joker's hat is alive.

It really does just seem so much better to not ever go back to the milky way. If they want to bring nostalgia it's so much easier to have bullshit sci-fi reasons to bring back anything they want by having them come to the andromeda galaxy. Like any character can come back as a clone or vi or whatever, any species can have come on their own secret ship, the only thing that would be hard to get back to is locations and it feels like mass effect didn't have any locations that were iconic enough to wade into 'what ending was real" except the citadel and if they want that back it's easy to say "the reapers built two, but the andromeda one never activated" or "it has the most powerful mass relay in the universe, it warped to andromeda after the ending" or something stupid like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I disagree, I think trying to make sense of the galaxy in the aftermath of the Reaper War and the implications that all meant in terms of diplomatic instability, competition for resources etc. would have been really interesting. Now instead we're getting Meme Effect in the most generic sense possible for fear of offending anyone. It's bland bland bland.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Transmetropolitan posted:

Don't poke too hard or it will come crashing down.

I didn't care much for the backstory of ME but the whole "look at how much poo poo was done in like 20 years since first contact" and how it fits in comparison to the rest (Zaeed was a pretty good example) and ehhhh I think someone lost the pacing here Bioware :v:

lmao this never occurred to me. It was only 20 years between finding the relay in ME1 wasn't it?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why do Humans have a whole ark if they launched before ME1? The whole beginning of that game is about how humans don't really have a place on the council or in galactic politics - they should be on the grab bag ship if anywhere at all

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Walrus posted:

Why do Humans have a whole ark if they launched before ME1? The whole beginning of that game is about how humans don't really have a place on the council or in galactic politics - they should be on the grab bag ship if anywhere at all

The launch was after ME2 but before 3, planning began before ME1.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

I disagree, I think trying to make sense of the galaxy in the aftermath of the Reaper War and the implications that all meant in terms of diplomatic instability, competition for resources etc. would have been really interesting. Now instead we're getting Meme Effect in the most generic sense possible for fear of offending anyone. It's bland bland bland.

But you got to pick what the aftermath of the reaper war was. To set a game in that you'd already have to bland away any impact of the choice you made, like the refusal ending would have to just be thrown out entirely. And the geth and quarians couldn't show up because one or both of those could be extinct. The earth might be vaporized or not, you may or may not have cured the genophage, rachni may or may not be dead or alive or allies with the council. Etc, etc, mass effect 3 let you make a ton of huge choices because they knew they would never matter.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

This has been discussed at length already. The shitfight mess wankfest that was ME3 meant the only way forward for the franchise was to burn everything to the ground and wipe the slate clean, hence a new galaxy.

You're never going back to the Milky Way in Mass Effect.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They should have gone further and never made another Mass Effect game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They aren't forcing you to play ME:A at gunpoint man.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BexGu posted:

Batarians are extinct though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lobok posted:

Are we talking about a star cluster like a cluster of stars, or a solar system?

A cluster of systems like have been in all the ME games. In the trilogy, you used a relay to reach a cluster and then bounced around investigating the systems and their planets within that cluster. Places like Argus Rho or Hawking Eta would be full of systems we'd visit with standard engines. The Andromeda Helios cluster was chosen because it's particularly dense with potential sites.