Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

GreenMarine posted:

This podcast is an interesting discussion of the state of competitive AoS:

https://soundcloud.com/scrubyandwells/ep-11-balance-and-fun-in-age-of-sigmar

Thought it was an enjoyable listen.

Do they get rid of rolling for turn order because that in and of itself makes competitive aos impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Cocksmith Dickhammerers, a new unit allowing players to insert an avatar of themselves into the Age of Sigmar

coxsmyth dicke-hammerens

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
How do you pronounce Aelf?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

Wood-elf, High-elf, or Dark-elf is the correct pronunciation. It depends on your specific regional dialect.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Moola posted:

Like this: Ælf, which is pronounced close enough to elf it doesn't really matter. They're just being pretentious and using the "original" spelling, if you will. Basically you're slurring an a and e sound together a-elf, but you're saying the a and e in the same amount of time you'd normally say one of them. Sorta.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
so like Ale?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Moola posted:

so like Ale?

Yeah. It might be slightly different but I don't speak any languages that use æ

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is actually a lot more complicated than that! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86#Germanic_languages

Given GW already uses the ligature in the word "daemon" which is presumably pronounced using the long ee (exactly like "demon") per standard usage in English, we should conclude that Aelf is also pronounced with the same long e. Like "eelf." Alternatively if it's intended to indicate an Old English pronunciation, then:

quote:

In Old English, æ represented a sound between a and e (/æ/), a sound very much like the short a of cat in many dialects of Modern English. If long vowels are distinguished from short vowels, the long version /æː/ is marked with a macron (ǣ) or less commonly an acute (ǽ).

So more like "alf."

I think to be consistent you'd call them eelfs, but you'd have a good defense for calling them alfs instead if you wanted.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
And how do you pronounce Daurdin?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Dwarf"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Moola posted:

Squat

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Scrunt

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Whats the chaos god of bad names called again?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The worst bit is that GW renamed dwarves once before with the whole Dawi thing. Which itself is a stupid name, but at least it made some sorta weird lore sense because that's what they called themselves in their own language.

As dumb as it is, duardin is arguably the least dumb name to come out of AoS.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leperflesh posted:

It is actually a lot more complicated than that! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86#Germanic_languages

Given GW already uses the ligature in the word "daemon" which is presumably pronounced using the long ee (exactly like "demon") per standard usage in English, we should conclude that Aelf is also pronounced with the same long e. Like "eelf." Alternatively if it's intended to indicate an Old English pronunciation, then:

So more like "alf."

I think to be consistent you'd call them eelfs, but you'd have a good defense for calling them alfs instead if you wanted.

Alf's back....in pog form. *discontinues warhammer disc wars*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pash posted:

I think its Slgmar

not sure how you pronounce that one either tbh

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Leperflesh posted:

So more like "alf."

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Moola posted:

"Registered Trademark Games Workshop LLC"

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

got any cats?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

I think its Slgmar

not sure how you pronounce that one either tbh

with large amounts of phlegm

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

Gaemes Workshop

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Moola posted:

These are literally just loving space marines

they even have pistols and melee weapons

Bolt pistols, if you will.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pash posted:

Tom H F Kirby

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pash posted:

Matt Ward

Leperflesh posted:

Tom H F Kirby

No, that's the Chaos God of bad Games

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Aelge of Slgmar :cool:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New mounted cavalry/hero for Stormcast.

That's a big turkey.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
More pics:

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I'm getting a Steed of Slaanesh vibe off that birbhorse. That would be an acceptable development.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Also some sniper dudes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I would have said Tzeentch since it looks like its an amalgam of a bunch of animals.

Anyhow, my one AoS friend is pushing me to play again and I hate myself, so what kind of poo poo do I need to use a bunch of Dryands and Treemen? I bought a bunch of WE kits in the last throes of 8th and have Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorn as well, but I guess they aren't tree spirits anymore so I can't use them with the Treemen?

I bought three of the Treemen kits and already had forty Dryads and tons of Glade Guard and Glade Riders so I'd like to use all of them together somehow?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really like all the birds and bird dogs and bird horses they're doing for the Stormcast. Regal hunting animals work with their "aloof assholes who think they're the best" thing.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TKIY posted:

I would have said Tzeentch since it looks like its an amalgam of a bunch of animals.

Anyhow, my one AoS friend is pushing me to play again and I hate myself, so what kind of poo poo do I need to use a bunch of Dryands and Treemen? I bought a bunch of WE kits in the last throes of 8th and have Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorn as well, but I guess they aren't tree spirits anymore so I can't use them with the Treemen?

I bought three of the Treemen kits and already had forty Dryads and tons of Glade Guard and Glade Riders so I'd like to use all of them together somehow?

You can use all those together. Dryads and Glade Guard/Riders cover your core units, Treeman Ancients/Durthu will cover your leader choice.

http://www.scrollbuilder.com/ can help you plot out a list if your friend is insisting on playing Matched Points.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

You can use all those together. Dryads and Glade Guard/Riders cover your core units, Treeman Ancients/Durthu will cover your leader choice.

http://www.scrollbuilder.com/ can help you plot out a list if your friend is insisting on playing Matched Points.

I'm the one insisting on points since I have no other metric to compare relative unit strengths.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really like all the birds and bird dogs and bird horses they're doing for the Stormcast. Regal hunting animals work with their "aloof assholes who think they're the best" thing.

Would have been nice for my bretonnians too...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Okay so in Scroll Builder, I can add the Treemen/Durthu as a leader if I choose the Sylvaneth faction, but then no Glade Riders/Guard in the battleline units. If I choose Wood Elves, I can use the Elves, but then no Treemen.

Is there another faction that joins them all?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's a little counter-intuitive. You select the faction you want to add units from, add them and then change the faction to a different one to add units from that one.

So add all the Sylvaneth duders, then select Wood Aelves and you should be able to chuck in the tree-huggers.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

SteelMentor posted:

New mounted cavalry/hero for Stormcast.

That's a big turkey.

Lol someone looked at a raw chicken and was like "yeah we can make this work"

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

who got lovely sigmarines all over my awesome battle chickens? :mad:

(definitely gonna use the models for something in my beastmen army tho. I love me some battle chickens).

TKIY posted:

Is there another faction that joins them all?
You can field them all in an Order army, the only downside for you is some units won't count as battleline (but dryads and glade guard still will iirc so you're good)

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Aren't there specific faction abilities I lose if they aren't all from the same faction?

Like I thought in order to get the Sylvaneth bonuses all your units had to be Sylvaneth. I should add that don't have the Battletome thingy and I'm not buying it either so I don't know if the formation rules are available online or not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
You lose the specific Sylveneth bonuses (Sylveneth specific artefacts/spells, free trees) if you chuck the Elves in there, but if you don't have the battletome you might as well chuck the Elves in, they make up for the Sylveneth's limited shooting.

• Locked thread