Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

They aren't forcing you to play ME:A at gunpoint man.

You wouldn't know it by reading the thread.

e: Now that I think of it, why haven't we seen anything about Mom Ryder? I remember you could make Shepard's mom be alive in the old ME games. Can our protagonists only ever have 1 living parent max?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kurieg posted:

Indeed, I am not going to play Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I invite you all to join me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Serf posted:

e: Now that I think of it, why haven't we seen anything about Mom Ryder? I remember you could make Shepard's mom be alive in the old ME games. Can our protagonists only ever have 1 living parent max?

I remember some tweets that mention Mom isn't a non-entity, but nothing that gives why she's not a central figure.

We also get to customize the Ryder we play, their twin, and their dad at the start of the game if we want to tweak family resemblances. Throwing mom in there on top might have been a bridge too far.

Or perhaps they're saving her for later. Eighth companion DLC confirmed!?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
MomRyder's name is Sam, and DadRyder didn't create the AI, he just uploaded his wife's mind into the Cloud after she mysteriously died during one of their sexual roleplays where she was an Asari commando and he was a Krogan Mercenary.

exquisite tea posted:

Indeed, I am not going to play Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I invite you all to join me.

Someone photoshop the Boycott Call of Duty steamgroup where they're all playing the game to be the Boycott Mass Effect Andromeda steamgroup.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

exquisite tea posted:

lol at your identity being so tied up in a video game you seek validation by convincing other people not to play it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Well that depends. Will your mom also be romanceable? :twisted:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Kurieg posted:

Come on man, I have imported Turians into other games so I can play with my bro Garrus. I'm the one holding myself at gunpoint at this point.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 27, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Ugh I hate this game so much and am not going to play it so let me constantly post in the thread about it!

Serf
May 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Seems odd to post itt so much then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You're all in a Roland Emmerich movie, and I'm the Man Who Saw It Coming. History will vindicate me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol you've made 243 posts in a thread about a game you keep saying you hate

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Codependent Poster posted:

only 243? Have you ever seen a Fallout thread? there's people that hate it and post way beyond that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm here to post about the Mass Effect series, some of my favorite games of all time, and hate on the very amateurish looking cargo cult reproduction of it that's coming out in a few months.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Looks like we have a contender.

Serf
May 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I'm here to post about the Mass Effect series, some of my favorite games of all time, and hate on the very amateurish looking cargo cult reproduction of it that's coming out in a few months.

Oh wow, I know Andromeda is coming out soon, but what's this other game you're talking about?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Those are some hilariously over the top words for a game we're still mostly in the dark about.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

We wouldn't be in the dark if they, say, showed some goddamn gameplay already

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao history will vindicate me for saying this game will be bad. As if anyone really will give a poo poo about your posts the second the game comes out. If it's good or if it's bad.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

frajaq posted:

We wouldn't be in the dark if they, say, showed some goddamn gameplay already

I agree. That doesn't make Exquisite Tea's posts any less of a projection of their own weird obsessions though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

Actually the other games were bad too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serf posted:

Only having 1 parent is a way to get some easy emotional drama.

Drifter posted:

MomRyder's name is Sam

This is a very likely scenario.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Drifter posted:

MomRyder's name is Sam, and DadRyder didn't create the AI, he just uploaded his wife's mind into the Cloud after she mysteriously died during one of their sexual roleplays where she was an Asari commando and he was a Krogan Mercenary.

So they're ripping off Tron 2.0 of all things?

exquisite tea posted:

You're all in a Roland Emmerich movie, and I'm the Man Who Saw It Coming. History will vindicate me.

Please tell me more about this thing that you hate so much it defines your life. :allears:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

frajaq posted:

only 243? Have you ever seen a Fallout thread? there's people that hate it and post way beyond that

I hate that game and don't bother with the thread.

Or I guess hate is a strong word. I tried to play it and couldn't make it through about five hours before I got sick of it and quit.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

No Man's Sky is already out, though

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe we're supposed to think of SAM as our digital little brother.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

No Man's Sky is already out, though

No no no, you're thinking of Maths Affect.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Mass Effect:
One game with great atmosphere but bad gameplay.

One game with bad atmosphere that reminds you of the atmosphere of the first game but good gameplay.

One game with good atmosphere and good gameplay, but an underwhelming ending that makes some people irrationally angry.

One game we don't know anything about really, but there is a trajectory here...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So a great game with amazing gameplay that just kind of stops at some point?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

Only having 1 parent is a way to get some easy emotional drama.

People in fiction very frequently only have one parent. It's from the literary idea of "conservation of characters".

Basically it's better to not introduce a bunch of stuff unless it serves some role. Unless the story is going to be a lot about parents it's often better to just give one character the "parent" role instead of introducing and fleshing out two needlessly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To be honest, I've not played most of ME1 and ME2. ME3 I've avoided altogether. But Mass Effect: Andromeda seems interesting. And it comes out in March already? Sweet, that'll be the fourth game for my new PS4. :v:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

BexGu posted:

Come on man, I have imported Turians into other games so I can play with my bro Garrus. I'm the one holding myself at gunpoint at this point.

forums poster BexGu

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Maybe we're supposed to think of SAM as our digital little brother.

I hope SAM is based off of neural mappings of MomRyder. Then, as the plot goes further and SAM becomes more neurotic her old tics come into play and she gets all protective of her children and starts refusing to let them out of the ship/goes rogue and the Ryder's have to shut her down. We've had plenty of daddy issues in these games time for the mommy ones.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

As the truest Mass Effect fan, I decree that Andromeda... will be bad.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lt. Danger posted:

So it's like nobody hates star wars more than star wars fans?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Admiral Ray posted:

I hope SAM is based off of neural mappings of MomRyder. Then, as the plot goes further and SAM becomes more neurotic her old tics come into play and she gets all protective of her children and starts refusing to let them out of the ship/goes rogue and the Ryder's have to shut her down. We've had plenty of daddy issues in these games time for the mommy ones.

Yeah, let's trade a dumpster fire of writing for a tire fire. Real good, that.

Also, dang, if anyone's interested in ME:A but hasn't played the others in the ME series you really should give them a go. Femshep Vanguard if you want to do some serious shootpunches, and Femshep Adept if you want to be the very best humanity has to offer, better than a god.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Lt. Danger posted:

Don't forget to remind everyone who is having fun with it in 2 months.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Admiral Ray posted:

forums poster BexGu

Trust no one

Okay trust some people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Drifter posted:

Also, dang, if anyone's interested in ME:A but hasn't played the others in the ME series you really should give them a go. Femshep Vanguard if you want to do some serious shootpunches, and Femshep Adept if you want to be the very best humanity has to offer, better than a god.
Vanguard is The Best class, but I'm Adepting ME3 again and I don't even need a gun. I was going to go Warp Ammo for my bonus power because I love ammo powers, but gently caress it, maybe Dark Channel instead.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Drifter posted:

I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised. ME:A is gonna be a convoluted mess of lore, jet-packs, and a Battlefield 1942 simulator we can play in game. I'll play it and then find new things to complain about if it's good enough to care about or never finish it if it's too lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Vanguard is The Best class, but I'm Adepting ME3 again and I don't even need a gun. I was going to go Warp Ammo for my bonus power because I love ammo powers, but gently caress it, maybe Dark Channel instead.
Each Mass Effect game has some big gameplay improvements over the predecessor- ME2 makes the shooting not suck, and gets rid of the huge array of dull passive bonuses that leveling powers gave you.
ME3 gives you the much-needed dodge roll, makes weapon choice much more free and interesting, and makes the pure-power classes much more interesting/viable.